• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

5th Gen Cores Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aura Sensei™

User Title
Haven't seen anything LC related here.

449.gif

Hippopotas (M) @ Eviolite
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 132 HP / 20 Atk / 212 Def / 100 SDef / 20 Spd
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Slack Off
- Whirlwind
- Stealth Rock

597.gif

Ferroseed (M) @ Eviolite
Trait: Iron Barbs
EVs: 244 HP / 188 Def / 68 SDef
Relaxed Nature
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Seed Bomb
- Thunder Wave

072.gif

Tentacool (M) @ Eviolite
Trait: Liquid Ooze
EVs: 196 HP / 76 Def / 196 SDef / 36 Spd
Calm Nature
- Toxic Spikes
- Rapid Spin
- Scald
- Knock Off

This is a Defensive Core I've used in LC for a long time, and it's always reliable, due to plenty of staying power and synergy. Now, the EVs are obviously different in LC, and they're all tailored to give the best overall bulk with a bit of Attack/Special Attack or Speed investement. Hippopotas sets the Sand which is crucial for this core, as when paired with hazards and status it wears down opposing Teams fairly quickly. Hippopotas is able to tank hits from many Physical Sweepers such as Mienfoo, who give Ferroseed problems and who can quickly wear down Tentacool due to it's lack of recovery. It also sets up Rocks and phases opponent's with Whirlwind, which is great for racking up residual damage. Ferroseed is the Spikes stacker, and it is able to wall quite a few threats to Hippopotas, as well as wear down the opponent with Leech Seed and paralyze Sweepers with Thunder Wave. Tentacool is the Spinner, and acts as a Special Wall. It's the main check to Snover, as Giga Drain damages Snover and Blizzard dosen't dent Tentacool. Knock Off is used to get rid of Eviolite's, so that walls can be beaten easier. A spinblocker would aid this core a lot, as well as a Sweeper such as Drilbur which can clean up after sufficient damage to the opposing Team.

I saw that LC core above and was inspired to submit mine.

619.gif

Mienfoo @ Eviolite
Trait: Regenerator
Level: 5
EVs: 156 HP / 76 Atk / 116 Def / 36 SDef / 76 Spd
Impish Nature
- Fake Out
- Drain Punch
- U-turn
- Knock Off

590.gif

Foongus @ Eviolite
EVs: 124 HP / 156 Def / 76 SAtk / 76 SDef / 76 Spd
Bold Nature
- Spore
- Stun Spore
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb

079.gif

Slowpoke @ Eviolite
EVs: 196 HP/ 156 Def/ 36 SAtk/ 116 SDef
Bold Nature
-Scald
-Psychic
-Slack Off
-Thunder Wave

081.gif

Magnemite @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Magnet Pull/Analytic
EVs: 240 SAtk/ 240 Spd
IVs: 30 Atk/ 30 SAtk/ 30 Spd for HP [Fire] or 30 HP/ 30 SAtk for HP [Grass]
Timid/Modest Nature
-Volt Switch
-Flash Cannon
-Thunderbolt
-Hidden Power [Fire/Grass/Ground]

529.gif

Drilbur @ Eviolite
Trait: Mold Breaker
EVs: 36 HP/ 236 Atk/ 212 Spd
Jolly Nature
-Earthquake
-Rock Slide
-Stealth Rock
-Rapid Spin

137.gif

Porygon @ Eviolite
Trait: Trace
EVs: 236 HP/ 196 Def/ 76 SDef
Bold/Calm Nature
-Tri Attack
-Shadow Ball
-Thunder Wave
-Recover

564.gif

Tirtouga @ Eviolite
Trait: Solid Rock
EVs: 4 HP/ 212 Atk/ 12 Def/ 76 SDef/ 180 Spd
Adamant Nature
-Waterfall
-Aqua Jet
-Stone Edge
-Shell Smash

564.gif

Tirtouga @ Eviolite
Trait: Solid Rock
EVs: 164 HP/ 52 Atk/ 12 Def/ 16 SAtk/ 236 SDef/ 20 Spd
Relaxed Nature
-Scald
-Stealth Rock
-Rock Slide/Stone Edge
-Knock Off/Aqua Jet

This LC core is known as the Regenerator core. The core doesn't have flawless type synergy, nor does it have answers to every pokemon in the LC metagame or even large offensive presence. What this core brings to the table are 3 moderately bulky pivots who are extremely hard to KO due to Regenerator and generally 1 pokemon that has nice synergy with these pivots. The main regenerator core is extremely resilient and hard to take down, with unprepared teams unable to KO a single member with all the switching and free recovery. However, dedicated wallbreakers, such as LO MixKrow, can cause real problems for this core, with none of the 3 main members able to stomach 2 hits from the mafia bird. Hazard control is also very important to this core because of all the switching it causes and all the switching it does. If you are going to play LC, your team needs to be prepared to beat this core.

Last edited:
Alright, I'll post a couple of NU cores.

594.gif

Alomomola @ Leftovers
EVs: 104 HP / 252 Def / 152 SDef
Impish Nature
-Wish
-Protect
-Waterfall
-Toxic

200.gif

Misdreavus @ Eviolite
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 220 Def / 40 Spd
Bold Nature
-Shadow Ball
-Will-O-Wisp
-Pain Split
-Heal Bell

315.gif

Roselia @ Eviolite
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SDef
Calm Nature
-Spikes
-Giga Drain
-Sludge Bomb
-Synthesis / Rest

This is a pretty basic defensive core with Pokemon that synergize quite well with one another. You have several things in this defensive core that are appreciated by all sorts of defensive NU teams such as Spikes, a cleric, a spinblocker, and Wish support (well, Alomomola in general). Alomomola + Roselia is generally solid enough itself due to their natural defensive synergy, but more special bulk on Alomomola is needed to better handle Charizard and Jynx. With that in mind, the reduction in physical bulk makes CB Sawk a much worse problem. Misdreavus solves this by countering CB Sawk while offering spinblocking support and removing status that Alomomola hates so much. It also appreciates the enormous Wishes that Alomomola offers, which is great for a Pokemon with no reliable recovery of its own (although Pain Split certainly helps). This core obviously misses having Stealth Rock, and so Pokemon such as Metang and Regirock make good partners to this core. You could also use Toxic Spikes on Roselia if it fits your team, although NU has no shortage of Poison-types to absorb and remove them, and it really stinks to have something like Musharna switch in on the first layer and avoid bad poison.

539.gif

Sawk @ Choice Band
Trait: Mold Breaker
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
-Close Combat
-Stone Edge
-Earthquake
-Ice Punch

006.gif

Charizard @ Life Orb
Trait: Blaze
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
-Fire Blast
-Air Slash
-Hidden Power [Grass]
-Roost

This is an offensive match made in Heaven. Charizard is one of the scariest special sweepers in NU. In fact, it is the single greatest reason to have a sturdy Fire resist somewhere on your team, and those teams that lack one are often decimated by this beast. One obvious problem with Charizard, though, is its weakness to Stealth Rock. The first solution that might come to mind is a spinner, but NU spinners tend to be either too defensive (i.e. they kill offensive momentum) or they synergize horribly with Charizard. I've found that the single best way to keep Stealth Rock off the field is by opening with CB Sawk, who can OHKO those annoying Sturdy hazard leads and keep Stealth Rock from going up in the first place. Besides keeping hazard off the field, Sawk naturally synergizes well with Charizard offensively as well. Sawk hits very hard from the physical side and Charizard from the special side, making it nigh impossible for any one type of wall to take on the pair easily. Sawk's natural wall breaking abilities also do well in softening up teams for a Charizard sweep. The core has some Alomomola issues, though. 252/252+ Alomomola can be broken by Charizard's HP Grass and 104/252+ Alomomola can be 2HKO'd by Sawk's Close Combat, but you never quite know what you're dealing with at first. LumRest Exeggutor is a great offensive partner here since it curbstomps pretty much every Alomomola in existance. It also offers Sleep Powder support, helping Sawk and Charizard get free switch-ins on sleeping opponents.

Usatoday

Eternal God
You want an RU Core Mcdanger you got it.
|
moltres.png
|
rotom-mow.png
|
mesprit.png
|
If anyone has played the RU tier they know how devastating and powerful moltres can be, and as such there are very few counters to it within the tier especially so when BW2 came out and gave us the gift of hurricane moltres since then Moltres has dominated the tier two hit koing most of its common counters. Now if there is one thing moltres hates its dragon types, and bulky waters. Mesprit and Rotom now enter the picture the first is your standard rotom cut scarf set the bread and butter to many teams as it can plow through the likes of sigilyph, lanturn, and quagsire right out of the sky and water alike. The ability to also trick the opponent's walls such as clefable who would troll this core to no end now longer can without get tricked a choice scarf. Mesprit is used as the lead to basically ware down the opponent's pokemon mainly being lead druggidon, slowking, or feraligatr who could destroy moltres with a torrent aqua jet. The pièce de resistance is the ability for this team to create a volt turn core that could be utilitzed greatly in both balanced and offensive teams alike as this core in specific can ware down the opponent's team to allow a late game sweep.
Moltres @ Choice Specs
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- U-turn
- Fire Blast
- Air Slash
- Hurricane

Rotom-C @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Leaf Storm
- Trick

Mesprit @ Expert Belt
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Psychic
- U-turn

Klaus™

Banned
Larvesta @ Eviolite
Trait: Flame Body
EVs: 76 HP / 236 Atk / 156 Def / 36 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Flare Blitz
- U-turn
- Wild Charge
- Morning Sun

Larvesta. The basis of the core. With a base 85 atk, this thing hits super hard. Unfortunately, it has a crippling stealth rock weakness, to which we need a spinner( say hi staryu!) Anyway, larvesta is a great counter to most fighting types in the tier, especially stuff like mienfoo, who u-turn everywhere, until they get burnt by larvesta's flame body. "The listed EV spread and nature maintains an offensive presence while still being able to withstand hits." SMH smogon. Flare blitz is the powerful cleaning STAB of choice, 2hkoing pretty much everything that doesnt resist it. U-turn is great to gain momentum as a pivot as the opposing fighting type switches out, and is great in general. Wild charge hits things like staryu and mantyke and tirtouga super-effectively. Lastly, I prefer using morning sun over Will-o-Wisp because the flame body chance is good enough for me (Rather than possibly losing a turn with WoW missing), plus, healing is always pretty good when you are using recoil moves.

Staryu @Eviolite
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 36 HP/ 200 SpA/ 240 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt/Blizzard
- Rapid Spin
- Recover

Obviously since we're using larvesta, we're gonna need a spinner, and Bulky staryu fits the bill perfectly. It pretty much counters murkrow, switching into a BB or failed sucker punch and recovering off damage and let murkrow kill itself, as well as synergizing nigh perfectly with larvesta. Hydro Pump is pretty much standard, as it 2hkoes most things in the tier. Thunderbolt beats the aforementioned murkrow as well as beating most water types, such as mantyke, who can possibly wall the team as is. However, one can run blizzard over thinderbot for a different set of checks and counters. Blizzard most notably beats Foongus on the switch in and really dents lileep. Rapid spin and recover make it a formidable spinner with really good bulk. For the ev spread, you can run CatcherinTheRai's (aka Deisel) defensive ev spread: 196 HP / 236 Def / 76 SAtk. To be honest, I really love a staryu/larvesta core, as its just really solid and sets me up for the next pokemon to join, Snover

Snover @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Snow Warning
EVs: 104 Atk / 200 Spd / 184 SAtk
Naive Nature
- Blizzard
- Giga Drain
- Ice Shard
- Hidden Power [Fire]

This is like, maybe the third best pokemon in LC imo, after mienfoo and murkrow. Blizzard just hits so hard against everything in the tier not named tentacool and bronzor. Giga Drain is a much safer option against something like hippowdon or drilbur as it ohkoes both after like 20% damage IIRC. And as a hrass STAB its really great against almost all the smashers in the tier, such as OHKOing Tirtouga and Clamperl. HP Fire is there for the aforementioned bronzor an ferroseed, though you'd be better off going to a double switch in larvesta. Lastly Ice Shard is a very good utility, but risky toget locked into. I only use it for the stupid af parafusekrow to kill the *****.
Snover supports the core in taking out Hippopotas and drilbur, two very big threats. Its rock weakness is mitigated by staryu's spinning abilities.

McDanger

Cores added, exceeded the character limit on the first post so I had to take Dr Ciels post, sorry, cores can be seen there

It might be more efficient to just include a small description of the team (i.e. Pokemon X + Pokemon Y + Pokemon Z etc.) and a link to the post containing the core. Just thought I'd throw that out there since we're just 5 days into this thread and we've already filled up a whole post, lol.

McDanger

It might be more efficient to just include a small description of the team (i.e. Pokemon X + Pokemon Y + Pokemon Z etc.) and a link to the post containing the core. Just thought I'd throw that out there since we're just 5 days into this thread and we've already filled up a whole post, lol.

I`ld type it up, but i dont know how all the cores work cause i didnt make them lol. If i have to i can split the offensive and defensive cores apart into different posts

Well, you could just do something short and sweet like this:

Moltres + Rotom-C + Mesprit - Usatoday

Then you could organize links with the spoilers that you already have. Just a suggestion, but it might be an easy way to keep up with everything without running into character count limits.

MCBarrett

MCBarrett
This is a core that has become pretty standard as of late, featuring Acrobatics Flying Gem Scizor and Choice Specs Keldeo.

Scizor Flying Gem
Jolly Nature
252 Spe 4 HP 252 Atk
Swords Dance
Acrobatics
Bullet Punch
Superpower

Keldeo Choice Specs
Timid Nature
252 Spe 4 HP 252 SpA
Hydro Pump
Icy Wind
HP Ghost
Secret Sword

So basically this Scizor set does a great job of luring in things that prevent Keldeo from spamming Specs Hydro Pumps such as Tentacruel, Jellicent and Gastrodon. These are all pretty common Scizor switch-ins so as they are coming in to take a predicted U-Turn or Bullet Punch you set up an SD and proceed to OHKO with a Flying Gem Boosted Acrobatics. Now Keldeo is free to come in and Spam Specs Hydro Pumps for days. This core works really well on Hyper Offensive teams and Rain could work as well to boost Keldeo's Hydro Pumps and keep the Sun from being set up but you have to be extra careful of setting up Scizor against Bulky Waters in the Rain. They also have decent Defensive Synergy which can be nice on frailer, more Offensive Teams.

jireh the provider

Video Game Designer
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Characters Offense

Next on my list would be a combination that I like on the RU tier in terms of offense. This set is for the Rarely Used Tier.

The title of this RU offense core is Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Ladies:

573.png

Cinccino (F)
Role: Sweeper / Scouter
Item: Life orb / Expert belt / King's Rock
Ability: Skill Link
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 252 attack and speed, 4 Sp. Def
Movesets
-Tail Slap
-Rock Blast
-Bullet Seed
-U-turn / Substitute

308.png

Medicham (F)
Role: Tanker / Wall Breaker
Item: Leftovers / Life Orb
Ability: Pure Power
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 252 HP, 252 Sp. Def, 4 Speed/Attack
Movesets:
-Bulk Up
-Drain Punch
-Ice Punch / Thunder Punch
-Psycho Cut / Fire Punch / Bullet Punch

First and foremost, if you are playing on the Rarely Used Tier, from experience, according to one of The Smog Magazines, Normal Types are the dominating group of pokemon since they have a lot of similarities to dragons minus having a certain resistance to any type. Usually, you need fighting types to end the offensive normal types of the tier.

Anyways, this duo are like sisters of the battlefield with 2 different offense styles.

First and foremost, Cinccino is not just my most favorite normal type pokemon. In fact, she is one of the speed titans in the entire series. Usually, for my book, any pokemon that has a speed of 110 and higher are speed titans. While her Attack is actually good, it is left to be desired some more. If it was on a score of base 110, that could mean something big. Anyways, onto movesets, unlike most offensive pokemon, only Technician Brelooms and Skill Link Cloysters could come close to mimicking her offensive style: I dub her class as The Sub-Sturdy Breaker.

Her Tail Slap, Bullet Seed, and Rock Blast coverage is easy to describe as an attacker. Focus Sash? Hell no. Substitute? No thank you? Sturdy? She says "**** that Ability!". So anyways the last move slot is all up to you which will affect your chosen held item. If you prompt a U-turn, Life Orb is there for power (her common set). If you prompt Substitute in order to dodge a Sigylyph's Psycho Shift, go for Expert Belt for a bit of power on the correct type. If you want her to act as a gimmicky flincher like Jirachi, give her a king's rock. Usually, it has only 10-20% (I'm not sure of the statistics) to flinch the enemy by using any attack. But since she's a Skill Link Elite, her chance to flinch enemies got multiplied by 5 times on one turn.

On to Medicham. Simply, thanks to Huge Power, her low attack just skyrockets like crazy. While it's fun to make her a fast hitter, her Speed is just not enough unlike our cute chinchilla. If you want a different approach, make her an offensive wall that can take and tank some hits. Bulk Up and Drain Punch are necessary to make her pretty difficult to take down thanks to Bulk Up's defense and attack boost. Since you increased her HP, I personally Suggest that you buff up her Special Defense to extend her longevity. The last two slots are totally up to you and what your team needs. Psycho Cut is for another stab with a decent critical chance. Bullet Punch for Priority. The Elemental Punches are totally up to you. As for the item of choice, Leftovers is there if you find her Huge Powered Drain Punch strong enough on damaging her enemies. Life Orb is there if you want to boost the power of your attacks even more, especially drain Punch, at the cost of 10% HP on every attack.

Keep in Mind that Steelix and Fighting types will come in against Cinccino. This is where Medicham comes in to cover her fighting weakness. Cinccino can sort of deal some protection on ghost type attacks. But overall, Spiritomb is an issue. Misdreavus, slightly but annoying still. Status is a problem too. Especially Burn. Paralysis goes secondary since Medicham is not really meant to be quick (but it's still a nuisance) for a tank. All in all, I'm not sure on what else could improve this offensive RU team.

Last edited:

Eaglehawk

Banned
Durant @ Life Orb
Trait: Traunt
EVs: 252 Att / 252 Spe
- Entrainment
- X-Scissor
- Filler
- Filler

Dugtrio @ Focus Sash
Ability: Arena Trap
EVs: 252 Att / 4 SpDef / 252 Spe
- Protect
- Hone Claws
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

For those of you who actually look at my sig, I swept a whole rain team with this dickish strategy. I'm not going to explain this strategy. I'll let you guys try it out and then post your exacerbated comments here.

<3

McDanger

ya not adding that one as its a troll core and is ultimately useless if the opponent has hazard up, priority, or is faster then dugtrio

286.gif

Breloom (M) @ Focus Sash
Trait: Technician
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Spore
- Focus Punch
- Bullet Seed
- Mach Punch

637.gif

Volcarona (M) @ Passho Berry
Trait: Flame Body
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Fiery Dance
- Quiver Dance
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Ice]

121.gif

Starmie @ Life Orb
Trait: Analytic
- Rapid Spin
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt

Sash Breloom is one of the strongest leads atm since it can live anyone attack and basically cripple one of the opponents pokemon. This core relies on getting rid of weakening Volcarona checks so using Focus Punch lets Breloom do a ton of damage to most offensive resists. Starmie goes well with Volcarona in that it can deal with most Keldeo and also provide spin support. Should be used with a Stealth Rocks user and you can often play mindgames with the opponent on whether you will lead with SR or Breloom.

Status
Not open for further replies.