• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

5th Gen Help Thread

bobandbill

Winning Smile
Staff member
Super Mod
Ask your questions about the 5th generation games BW and B2W2 here!

Please check the FAQ/Guide thread before posting your question.

Serebii.net resources:

You also have the previous Help threads for BW and B2W2 separately. Feel free to use the search function to see if your question has been asked already.

Last edited:

blue bug

I'd like to play White, but the used card I bought bare won't let me override the previous game. Not much point playing if I can't save my progress, and without the instruction booklet I have no clue. Help?

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
I'd like to play White, but the used card I bought bare won't let me override the previous game. Not much point playing if I can't save my progress, and without the instruction booklet I have no clue. Help?

Before starting your new game, to delete the old save file, hold Up on the D-pad, Select and B simultaneously on the title screen. It should lead up to a menu which tells you if you want to delete the previous save or not. Delete it and start a new game. After that, you shouldn't have saving problems.

blue bug

Thanks! I've now played long enough to discover the Help option on the game's PCs, and thought I would put in for other newbies that my issue and others were addressed there.

New question: How do BW handle berries? I haven't seen any indication that they show up, except as rare gifts from characters. Maybe the 4th generation games have spoiled me, with letting me grow all the berries I want. . . .

Last edited by a moderator:

Aquarelle

Staff member
New question: How do BW handle berries? I haven't seen any indication that they show up, except as rare gifts from characters. Maybe the 4th generation games have spoiled me, with letting me grow all the berries I want. . . .
You can get berries from some trainers (e.g. Pokemon Rangers) and some wild Pokemon can hold them, too.
If you have B2W2, you can buy berries in Join Avenue from the florist shops (which are my go-to places for berries in Gen 5).

You cannot grow any berries in Gen 5, though. You were able to grow them in the Dream World, but that's been shut down.

Mike_

If you fuse a Shiny Zekrom/Reshiram with Kyurem, will the Kyurem have Zekrom/Reshiram's shiny colors?

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
If you fuse a Shiny Zekrom/Reshiram with Kyurem, will the Kyurem have Zekrom/Reshiram's shiny colors?

No, it won't inherit Reshiram/Zekrom's Shininess.

What games are required to complete the BW2 PokeDex? I want to complete it, but am not sure if I need to get another game.

Houka

If ya get the reverse frst games (Which means if ya get Back 2 you should get white to get the exclusives) you should get all of the Pokemon within two. Note there are some older gen Pokemon you can't get in any version of the 5th gen, which the 4 gen transfer system will get you the rest (as long as you got them in a 4th gen game).

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
What games are required to complete the BW2 PokeDex? I want to complete it, but am not sure if I need to get another game.

It requires B2W2 themselves, Platinum, HGSS and Dream Radar (3DS downloadable application) at the very minimum, excluding event-only Pokémon. But if you don't have a 3DS, both BW must be purchased.

Aquarelle

Staff member
And if you want to know which Pokemon you'll have to trade/transfer for, there's a list here (includes Pokemon that can be obtained from the Dream Radar).
If you need to know the version exclusives for Black 2 & White 2, you can find them here.

Houka

May I ask but how does the dream Radar works, if it connected to the dream stuff does that mean it does work anymore?

Aquarelle

Staff member
May I ask but how does the dream Radar works, if it connected to the dream stuff does that mean it does work anymore?

The Dream Radar is not connected to the Dream World or anything like that. It still works just fine (just played it on my 3DS) and you can still send Pokemon and items you collect in it to a B2W2 cartridge inserted into your 3DS.

Houka

Can you get rare legends (Events like Celabi or Manaphy)? If not I really don't need it since I know how to acquire all of the basic legendary.

Aquarelle

Staff member
Can you get rare legends (Events like Celabi or Manaphy)? If not I really don't need it since I know how to acquire all of the basic legendary.
Some legendaries can be obtained from it, but not any event ones like Mew or Celebi.
A list of the available Pokemon can be found here.

Would Scald or Surf be better for a Samurott? I cannot decide.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Would Scald or Surf be better for a Samurott? I cannot decide.

Scald in a competitive setting. Going for a 30% chance burn.

Surf in game. Because of slightly increased base power. Both Scald and Surf have the same PP.

FullmetalOddish

Okay... I'm incredibly new to both playing Pokémon games (although I've been familiar with the series through the anime for my entire life) and to this forum, though I've been lurking every now and then, for a while... and if I'm in the wrong thread/forum, then just tell me so... but I've been trying to beat Iris in Black 2 for a while now, and I need help.

My brother's told me that my team isn't strong enough and that I should train more, but I've been able to defeat 5 out of her 6 Pokémon and am confident that I can beat her, overall... since you guys obviously know more about strategizing and using teams to their highest potential, I thought that I'd ask for help here... my team is as follows:

Virizion, lvl 52. Knows Toxic, Flash, Giga Drain, and Sacred Sword.

Arcanine, lvl 54. Knows Flare Blitz, Heat Wave, Flamethrower, and Outrage.

Cobalion, lvl 53. Knows Toxic, Retaliate, Iron Head, and Sacred Sword.

Samurott, lvl 52. Knows Cut, Razor Shell, Aqua Tail, and Ice Beam.

Lucario, lvl 52. Knows Dig, Me Fist, Force Palm, and Aura Sphere.

Golduck, lvl 53. Knows Surf, Waterfall, Strength, and Aqua Tail (at lvl 54 he learns another move with a base PP level of 5, but I don't remember what move it is).

I need help ASAP... with my Pokémon Team, is it possible to beat Iris, and if so, how? I'll give any additional information, if prompted to do so. Thanks to all! :D

Darrkvolt

I looked on the site for this and couldn't find it, so I figured I'd ask here. Since they took down the Dream World, and that was the only place, at the time, to find certain Pokemon with their hidden abilities, how does one go about getting Pokemon like Vulpix with their HA on a BW1/BW2 game? Is there any way to do that any more?

Aquarelle

Staff member
I looked on the site for this and couldn't find it, so I figured I'd ask here. Since they took down the Dream World, and that was the only place, at the time, to find certain Pokemon with their hidden abilities, how does one go about getting Pokemon like Vulpix with their HA on a BW1/BW2 game? Is there any way to do that any more?
Some Pokemon like Vulpix can actually be found in Hidden Grottoes in B2W2, so you should be able to get their Hidden Abilities by catching them in those.

For Pokemon that can't be caught with their HAs in-game & were Dream World exclusive, you'd have to trade locally with someone who got the HA Pokemon before the Dream World went down.

Last edited: