• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

5th Gen Leads

SilverSaint

I for one am planning to use a Magic Mirror Espeon to bounce Stealth Rock/Status back at the opponent's lead. Not too sure on a moveset just yet but I think a Sub/CM/Baton Pass or Sub/CM/2 attacks set will work just fine. If what I heard about DW abilities being breedable then I'll switch calm mind for Wish instead. Of course, faster leads, priority moves and suicide leads will be a problem but I think that as long as I see it coming I can switch to something that can take the hit or force them to switch the next turn.

And, if Espeon leads get too obvious in whatever tier it lands in, I can use a Zoroark to pretend it's the Espeon lead. Zoroark could potentially take out their lead or, even better, make them switch to their Ghost type or Pursuit mon and take that out, leaving Espeon able to block status even in the middle of the game and maybe even allow it to run a sweeper set instead of a Sub/Calm Mind/Wish passer, though I think a sweeper set would be outclassed by the crazy Special Attackers running around this gen (run on sentences ftw).

I love Espeon and Zoroark in case you couldn't already tell ;)

fschulze47

Mighty Marvo
Has anyone here seen the thread over at Smogon? It mentioned that you can see the opponent's team before a battle over wi-fi or local wireless. There is a strong possibility that Shoddy will adhere to this as well. So, there may not even be a lead metagame or a need to scout because of this.

My anti-lead would be something like this, I guess that its just going to be a gimmick lead but I'll post it anyways.

Sableye @ Focus Sash
Mischeavous Heart (Non-attacking moves have priority)
252 HP / 252 Def
Moves:
- Taunt
- Metal Burst
- Will-0-Wisp/Toxic
-

Sableye's movepool is really shallow. So the only reason I made this was the Mischeavous Heart + Taunt = priority taunting the opponent. Fake Out, Explosion and Mach Punch are (still) no problem for him, all moves that were common on leads. You could also throw in a Recovery for priority abuse, or maybe a substitute but Sableye will be pretty useless after it's done taunting.

Ungoliath

Not a GenWunner
Sableye does also know Fake Out to do some extra damage too, to add to that set. It's free damage that will flinch the enemy and you can use two attacks in a row before the enemy can do anything. Anyway, Metal Burst there is...Waste. (Just to make a note, Sableye is my favorite Pokemon but wouldn't work THAT soon...I think He works better mid-game when you already know a bit the strategy of your opponent and can predict some moves. If not it's killing him without making a good use of Mischievous Heart)

I was thinking that a good lead would be Dasutodasu (The Garbage Pokemon). He can put some Toxic Spikes and knows Explosion as well. Can't work out well with Swampert, but has Solar Beam to balance out. Gunk Shot (120 Base Damage) is also cool to have just to annoy.

I also like Desukan there, but would mean all the strategy around abilities go to waste. I think it's good for late game, not that soon. (However for people that like fast and awful surprises, I think it will be a common)

Rankurusu would be awesome with Dustproof because seems that Weather Teams will be all over the game. Heal Block, Wonder Room, Telekinesis and Psychic can be most troublesome than some would think. Sucks his LAME speed, but can do some serious issues with Wonder Room+Psychic due the fact that Sp.Def Pokemon are not that common.

Shubarugo is also cool because it only has serious issues with Fire Pokemon (I ignore how common they are lately) and can make also damage. Again, LAME speed that are not suited for lead pokes.

So, if we need a Pokemon with decent speed and not so many weakness we have Denchura, which can be a surprise. Signal Beam STAB with Confuse probability doesn't sound bad with 97 of SpAtk. It also knows Gastro Acid to avoid having to deal with troublesome abilities and Tension can really bug your enemy.
It's the one I would use, honestly. I like the moveset and looks incredible cool. 8D

PS: I will pass mention Shibirudon with no weakness and Aianto because I don't like them :p

bonslet

Has anyone here seen the thread over at Smogon? It mentioned that you can see the opponent's team before a battle over wi-fi or local wireless. There is a strong possibility that Shoddy will adhere to this as well. So, there may not even be a lead metagame or a need to scout because of this.
I wouldn't say so. Even if you can pick your party order after seeing the opponent's team, it's still important to have a dedicated lead that has the most general efficiency, whether it be in stopping other leads and/or setting up your party, as you don't know exactly what your opponent is leading with.

Ethan

Banned
This may seem like a bizarre lead, but, I enjoy to think outside of the box.
Tsunbeaa
Adamant at Choice Band
252 Attack; 124 Defense; 124 Special Defense; 8 HP
Avalanche
Night Slash
Super Power
Stone Edge
An Ice-type lead in OU? What are with these shananigins? Well, believe it my friends, I'm planning on using it. Why? It will be fantastic at bringing down the several new dragons of this generation, it can also stop Sand Storm teams in their tracks, thanks to Super Power, which will be useful in bringing down Tyranitar. Night Slash deals with those bothersome Azelf leads. And Stone Edge helps with things that (while not as popular as leads) are quite popular, including Gyrados. With Tsunbeaa's miserable speed, it would be quite pointless to invest speed EVs, considering that it wouldn't make a signifcant impact on him. Actually NOT investing the speed EVs aids him, becuase it increases Avalanches power (Considering he'll be going last a majority of the time)
Of course, all of this could fall through and I could end up looking like a moron, because of a metagame which will be far diffrent then predicted.
Of course, that's not to say I'm not a moron anyway. XD XD

How will that deal with bothersome Azelf leads? If Azelf was the lead its faster than you, and would just fireblast instead of stealth rock...

Has it been confirmed that it bounces back SR? All I heard was that it was like Magic Coat, which doesn't work on entry hazards.

Quoting Smogon:
"Confirmed Magic Coat now reflects Whirlwind, Roar, Disable, Spite, Spikes, Foresight, Encore, Torment, Taunt, Odor Sleuth, Miracle Eye, Embargo, Heal Block, Toxic Spikes, Defog, and Stealth Rock."

So SilverSaint is right, Magic Mirror bounces back a lot of moves found on standard leads. Wouldn't it be neat if you use an other lead, and than switching on the first turn to Espeon, bouncing back any incoming taunt/stealth rock. Altough that would only work if you don't see each others teams before battle:p + it would only work on opponents you havent battled before... ah well great ability though.

SilverSaint

Has it been confirmed that it bounces back SR? All I heard was that it was like Magic Coat, which doesn't work on entry hazards.

Magic Coat got a boost this gen and since Magic Mirror is just Magic Coat in ability form, it got the same boosts. They now deflect "Whirlwind, Roar, Disable, Spite, Spikes, Foresight, Encore, Torment, Taunt, Odor Sleuth, Miracle Eye, Embargo, Heal Block, Toxic Spikes, Defog, and Stealth Rock" <----- copied and pasted from the Smogon resarch thread. Get psyched :]

Edit: Ninja'd lol

Ungoliath

Not a GenWunner
Xatu and Espeon knows Magic Mirror. And Espeon knows Trick too. I so love that move.

I still prefer Denchura, though.

boota212

Fudger-nutters
How will that deal with bothersome Azelf leads? If Azelf was the lead its faster than you, and would just fireblast instead of stealth rock...
Meh, I had a moment there. XD XD It would be useful agains Azelf leads who mispredict, seeing a stat-boosting move (Tsunbeaa's only realistic option being Bulk Up.)and use taunt. It's an Ice-type, horrible defensivly, and it probably won't work well in the metagame, but anything is worth a try. Really what I'm doing is not all-around Intelligent , but neither is my current team, and I still fair decently with that.

SilverSaint

I'm not really that good at competitive, but what could one do with a Sash Unburden Agirudaa?

I don't really think Unburden's needed on Agirudaa. At 145 base speed he's pretty much faster than everybody except Deoxys and Ninjask. Besides those two, the only thing that I can think of that could probably outspeed him right away w/o set up is Choice Scarfed Starmie which isn't that common and it's used as a revenge killer, not a lead. IMO Sticky Hold's better because its stops Agirudaa from getting his Focus Sash tricked.

PkMnPwNs1991

<- Hot tamale
Nattorei
Impish or Careful
Steel Thorns
Leftovers
Explosion
Gyro Ball
Spikes
Stealth Rock

With as high of defensive stats as he has we should be able to remain in play for a good amount of time. As long as your not going against a fire type lead. This guy is slow as can be, but with as high of defensive stats as it has it doesn't really need speed. If it can set up at least one stealth rock and one spikes then explode i will be very happy.

Yes, Nattorei seems to be a very popular defensive lead in youtube videos, and it does its job well, bar taunt users. The defensive Tyranitar will probably set up shop early, especially with the addition of Doryuuzu. I see Kojondo and Zoroark being exceptionally common as offensively oriented leads.

:wub:disc

more like :mam:anbou
from my limited experience (still more than everyone else's!) zoroark is a piece of **** and i hate it. everyone on wi-fi leads with zoroark, except when i try to hit them thinking it's a zoroark, then it's always the actual pokemon and i get OHKO'd. a focus sash set or something pretending to be a regular lead (like a metagross or whatever proves to be popular) would most likely do a good job screwing with everyone as nobody expects metagross to nasty plot and then it does and you're ****ed.

at least it doesn't get stealth rock.

assuming suicide leads aren't as popular and shadow tag isn't banned shanderaa seems like it would be decent as anything without u-turn / faster than 80 base speed (it can run a choice scarf and still hit like a truck too) probably gets killed right off the bat unless it's ttar in which case specs hp fighting might still kill it. actually now that i think about it suicide leads can't exactly commit suicide like they want to so it might still be useful against them.

Aerophoenix

The Great Speculator
Rankuruso with Magic Guard, and Altaria with Cloud Nine might be very popular due to the prominent weather effects now. I can also see T-tars leading for the same effect.

If only we could have a Damp Swampert or Poison Heal Gliscor with Stealth Rock now. *sigh*

Big Beluga

u r a fatty
Kirikizan(Dark/Steel)@Lum/Shuca Berry
126 HP/ 252 Atk/ 132 Spe
Adamant
-Stealth Rock
-Taunt
-Iron Head
-Thunder Wave/Sucker Punch

One of the only SRers this gen, that just so happens to do well against other SR leads from this gen. Taunt to stop Gigaiasu and Nattorei from setting up, as well as other spiker leads like Skarm, who is usually outpaced with the 132 Spe EVs. Iron Head for STAB, and the last slot is for preference. Twave helps spread status for slower teams, while Sucker Punch helps finish off faster leads, while also providing a some what reliable revenge killer with max Attack.

The EV spread is more likely than not to be inefficient, as I, just like everyone else, havent been able to test things that much. Anyways, 132 Spe EVs to outspeed pretty much all Skarm and anything below that area. Max Attack to give your attack(s) more power, and the rest is dumped into HP. I guess if you don't care about how hard Kirikizan hits, the EV spread and nature can be altered so that its more focused on bulk rather than attacking power, which is probably not needed anyway.

So yeah, any input would be appreciated, as I know this set is no where near perfect, just an idea.

Though I have no complete set atm, Kojondo seems like a great lead. Iirc its Attack/Speed is 125/110, which already shows you the potential hurt it can deal. Although its type gives it no advantage against Azelf, its ability is the key to this. Regeneration replenishes its HP by 1/3 when it switches out. That alone is an amazing ability, allowing it to be an effective revenge killer, but I'd like to point out how effective this can scout. U-turn is the heart of the set, and with Regeneration, pretty much acts as a healing move. A scarfed Kojondo will allow it to U-turn Azelf before it knows what hit it, if it even survives. Even against other common leads, U-turn allows Kojondo to scout, and while I doubt it has a deep support movepool, will allow you to start out well.

With everyone talking about running Taunt leads / offense I'm just going to run the tried and true Occa Berry Rockless Metagross. Suck it Custap Gigaiasu.