• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

5th Gen Monotype Challenge Thread!

GimliSam

I am now past the Virbank gym (that Leafeon is proving to be really good - didn't sweep, but made earning the win much easier), and debating using two others that decided to tag along from White, albeit in egg form: Turtwig and Bulbasaur. They are now hatched, and Turtwig has a few Audino-given levels on it, but both have yet to participate in trainer battles. I am thinking that they will be boxed, but I just really like the two, and the dual typing gives me some more resists and STABs. Decisions, decisions...

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
I walked into Route 1 with Bianca and Cheren and we met Professor Sycamore there. She taught us how to catch wild Pokemon, then I got five Poke Balls from her. Cheren and Bianca went ahead and I took my time and explored the route fully while battling wild Pokemon to level up my Oshawott. I eventually arrived at the end of Route 1 and I arrived in Accumula Town. I headed inside of the Pokemon Center and I learned about the different services there. I healed my Pokemon and I headed back outside. I saw a Team Plasma rally in the town square, then N approached me and Cheren and I beat against his Purrloin with Oshawott. N left the scene after that battle, and I explored some buildings around town before saving.

:501: - Level 9

Lorde

I walked along Route 2 towards Striaton City. I battled wild Pokemon and various trainers as well and I eventually made it to Striaton City after that and healed my Oshawott at the Pokemon Center. I then talked to everyone in town and went to the Trainer's School and found Cheren studying there. I talked to him and we battled and I barely managed to defeat him since he had two Pokemon while I only had one. I got that done though and received Oran Berries from him, which was a cool treat. I healed again and we to the Dreamyard to battle some more trainers there. I talked to a little girl and she handed me a Pansear for my journey. I went to train on Route 2 and saved once it leveled Oshawott some more.

:501: - Level 14

Nibbles4Ever

1 more day ^^
I did a electric monotype challenge several years ago on black version. I used zebstrika, electross, luxray, raichu, lanturn, and galvantula.

Lorde

I received the HM for Cut from Fennel after winning the Trio Badge and I cut down that tree in front of the Dreamyard and then Bianca arrived and she wanted to explore the place. We went together and discovered a Munna, but then two Team Plasma grunts appeared. They abused Munna and I had to beat them both. I beat them and Oshawott leveled up as a result and evolved. Team Plasma left and Musharna appeared to take back Munna. I then explored the area and found some useful items. I also trained in the tall grass by battling Purrloin and Patrat and Audino during a 10 minute period and I used those to help Dewott gain tons of experience. I then saved the game after healing at the Pokemon Center.

:502: - Level 18

trainer0191

Filthy Casual
Planning out my mono-type challenge:
My personal pokemon challenge (all of these are required unless stated otherwise):

Eggs can be traded
No legendaries
Limit of 1 Pseudo-legendary on the team
Battle style will be “Set”
No items are allowed to be used on pokemon during battles - but you can use them outside battles
No EV training in-game team
Pokerus is allowed if you want.
Optional: Lucky eggs are only allowed if your training a pokemon up to the same levels as the rest of the team
[Extra challenge] - Pick whichever one you want (or both!)
Use Pokemon that aren’t used by the elite 4
Monotype team - the type you choose cannot be used by the elite 4
----in addition---if you choose water, fire or grass as your mono-type, you must use your in-game starter
[Bonus: if you choose BOTH the above extra challenges not just one, you may use up to 2 pseudo-legendaries on your team]

The reason for this is because I think of my character as being an actual part of the story in each Pokemon game. So think of the anime, normal trainers can’t catch legendaries and pseudo-legends are actually really rare. Also the Elite 4 tend to be really powerful trainers. So your team has to stand out and not just imitate the team of an elite 4 member.

I’m re-playing Black 2 so the pokemon I can’t use are:
Shauntal: Cofagrigus, Driftblim, Golurk, Chandelure, Gengar, Frosslass
Grimsley: Liepard, Scrafty, Krookodile, Bisharp, Honchkrow, Houndoom, Tyranitar
Caitlin: Musharna, Reuniclus, Sigilyph, Gothitelle, Alakazam, Gallade, Metagross
Marshal: Throh, Sawk, Meinshao, Conkeldurr, Machamp, Lucario
Iris: Hydreigon, Druddigon, Archeops, Aggron, Lapras, Haxorus, Salamence

(The additional pokemon I’ve added are from their challenge mode round 2 teams - IMO that’s the real Elite 4 of Unova)

So I’m not going to be using any pokemon used by the elite 4 or the champion. I was only going to do a mono-type challenge, but as I began to write down the rules, this seemed to be a better option… any thoughts? Suggestions of what type I should pick?

I was planning a poison type team with:
Crobat -Poison/Flying -Physical
Gengar -Poison/Ghost -Special - Trade Over
Drapion -Poison/Dark -Physical
Wheezing -Poison -Mixed
Seviper -Poison -Mixed
Roserade -Poison - Special

Water types are an option with:
Samurott, Swampert, Milotic, Kingdra...?

But any suggestions (about types or otherwise) are welcome!

Remember: if I create a monotype team I can’t use: Ghost, Dark, Psychic, Fighting & Dragon mono-type teams

Last edited:

Lorde

I finally left Striaton City after doing stuff and walked to Route 3. I stopped by the Day Care and encountered my pal Cheren there on the road and he wanted to battle me once again. His Snivy was hard to beat with Dewott, but I still slayed it. Our battle ended and Bianca appeared with a little girl who had her Pokemon stolen by Team Plasma, so Cheren wanted my help fighting against Team Plasma to get it back apparently. I healed my Dewott at the Striaton City Pokemon Center again and then followed after Cheren into Wellspring Cave. We battled Team Plasma grunts there and got the Pokemon back for the little girl. After all of that was said and done, I went to the preschool to battle some little kids and saved.

:502: - Level 20

SubtleVVeirdoh

Unova Enthusiast
Doing A Grass Monotype for White so I can move Pokémon over and get a Scizor from Platinum to W2, for a Steel Mono.

Just Beat Lenora with BiG THyMe the Servine, heading to Pinwheel Forest to secure a Sewaddle.