• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

5th Gen Monotype Challenge Thread!

BJPalmer85

Current team:

lvl 17 Servine
lvl 16 Ivysaur
lvl 16 Ferroseed

Headed to the 3rd gym. Any suggestions on additional pokes? Definitely adding Shroomish, but I am in a struggle over whether I should use Snover, Turtwig and or Exeggcute.

B

I'd definitely go with an Exeggcute, Exeggutor makes a great pokemon, whether for support, usable bulk, or sweeping. I personally love the Turtwig line, Torterra's ground type keeps a fair amount of fire types in check, although 4x weakness to ice is terrible. I'd avoid Turtwig due to an all grass team being so vulnerable to ice much of the time. Have you thought about Lotad for Ludicolo?? Abomasnow is good, but has an extra 4 weaknesses compared to Ludicolo.

BJPalmer85

Not a fan of Ludicolo, dont like the look. I was thinking Abomasnow since I will need something to help with Dragon types.

B

Hey! Currently I'm now on my way to Opelucid from Undella town to get my 7th badge and to start the rest of the Team Plasma story. Things have been going great for my steel types and now I just need one final member to complete a full 6 team.
Current team:
Metang, level 36
Magneton, level 37(another issue I'm having is whether to go back to Chargestone cave to let Magneton evolve, or to just let him keep holding an eviolite :/)
Ferrothorn, level 41
Excadrill, level 36
Mawile, level 35(hoping to replace this one, sheer force and life orb boosted fire and thunder fang are less-than stellar, and as well as it's crunch :[ )
I'm more than open to two new pokemon suggestions! Thanks guyz

BJPalmer85

I would go with a Lucario and maybe bronzor if you need a defensive beast.

as for magneton it depends on what you want. the higher sp att is always a plus for me even thought i dont like the design.

B

I had avoided Lucario and Bronzong because I have them both on a few teams in my W2. But I managed to get some suggestion irl, so here's my team so far!
Metagross(shiny) Lvl 50
Excadrill Lvl 50
Magneton (I personally like the design better than 'zone, plus the Sp.atk difference isn't apparent to me since its in-game so far.) Lvl 50
Skarmory! Lvl 50. I had always wanted one but initially after realizing its more utility than offense I was turned off, but it's been super useful so far, no complaints.
Ferrothorn Lvl 53. When my other steels have trouble with anything (bar fire-types), Ferrothorn takes care of it with no problem, I'm glad I got to know this one lol.
And lastly, Empoleon Lvl 50. Currently, it runs Icy Wind(breeded), Mist, Blizzard, and Scald. No complaints but I really wish I could have a better moveset, while also keeping icy wind. I'll take a suggestion! It's Sp.Atk is fully invested with defense, sp.def, and hp evenly distributed.
But now, I just made it to victory road and I'm more than ready to take on whatever else may come!

BJPalmer85

I had avoided Lucario and Bronzong because I have them both on a few teams in my W2. But I managed to get some suggestion irl, so here's my team so far!
Metagross(shiny) Lvl 50
Excadrill Lvl 50
Magneton (I personally like the design better than 'zone, plus the Sp.atk difference isn't apparent to me since its in-game so far.) Lvl 50
Skarmory! Lvl 50. I had always wanted one but initially after realizing its more utility than offense I was turned off, but it's been super useful so far, no complaints.
Ferrothorn Lvl 53. When my other steels have trouble with anything (bar fire-types), Ferrothorn takes care of it with no problem, I'm glad I got to know this one lol.
And lastly, Empoleon Lvl 50. Currently, it runs Icy Wind(breeded), Mist, Blizzard, and Scald. No complaints but I really wish I could have a better moveset, while also keeping icy wind. I'll take a suggestion! It's Sp.Atk is fully invested with defense, sp.def, and hp evenly distributed.
But now, I just made it to victory road and I'm more than ready to take on whatever else may come!

If you are gonna run with blizzard I would use the blizzard/hail combo (makes blizzard never miss, which is nice when you are running with a non ice type that doesnt get the STAB for ice moves), if not Id swap blizzard for ice beam. swap scald for hydro canon. scald is a great move but if you are taking on victory road and the E4, a move like hydro canon could end up being a 1 hit KO move (especially with STAB and if you are in a situation where torrent comes into effect). in all honesty icy wind isnt that good of a move (at least IMO) id switch it for something else.

my .02

B

telivisionhead

I'm thinking of doing a ground type monotype challenge since they seem to get left behind. Maybe even a water or darkor electric challenge in black 2.
I'm gonna have to trade pokemon from other games/gens in and do alot of preparing for the challenge.
For dark Im hoping on using Zoroark,Bisharp,Umbreon,Weavile,Hydreigon,Liepard. Maybe switch the Liepard with a vullaby... For water Ill probably use:
Samurott,Azurill,Poliwrath,Feraligater,Vaporeon,Starmie. Seems like an okay team but Poliwrath (I think, maybe even starmie) is the only duel type for all I know. So I dont think Ill do water but its just back up.
Magnezone,Jolteon,Ampharos,Electross,Zebstrica,Galvantula. I dont know to use Zebstrica or Lanturn..... But it looks like an OKAY team for a monotype. I might even have to fit in emolga for duel type reasons....
Sandslash,Quagsire,Camurupt,Flygon,Exgadrill,Krookodile. This and the dark type monotype team Im hoping to have is probably the best and could be the most sucsessful, the electric can be risky and the water can be also risky but these are just so I have something for back up. Im getting in preperations getting all the pokemon I need ready so it may take some time.

telivisionhead

YES!!! I'VE GOT ALL THE POKÉMON READY FOR THE MONOTYPE CHALLENGE!! Who cares about the Nuzlocke.... I was on the 7th badge so eh... Drayden wrecked me......(facepalm, I HAD LEVEL 38'S!!!! AND A LEVEL 45!!!)
Anyway..
I went and beat up Cheren with Purrloin. It was level 13 and did well.... UNTIL I RELEASED IT. I traded over 4 pokemon for me team: Ive trained them after beating roxy and they are level 20's
Zack the Zorua. Level 21.
Sally the Deino. level 23
Choc-Ice the Sneasel level 20
Lil Soldier the pawniard level 20
Im going to get an eevee in castelia city central then evolve it to an umbreon. Also Ill get a scraggy with the Exp Share and level it up while the retsa of my team gets leveled up too.
My plan is to slap a couple faint attacks on Burgh and an Aerial Ace that my zoroark breed and gave Zack. Everything else is Scratch,Purzuit and Faint attack so well.... its fine... OKAY FINE I ADMIT I USED A TM ON ZACK! I DIDNT USE ANY OTHER TM BEFORE THEY GOT TRADED IN!
Use aerial ace on leavanny and if that doesnt work... USE DRAGON RAGE FROM DEINO AND KILL EVERYTHINNGGG!!! (wait that's my plan to kill Elesa.....)

SilverChiko

Protect The Smiles!
I'm thinking of doing a bug monotype challenge on SS, any suggestions?

SilverChiko

Protect The Smiles!
Wrong thread for this bro. This is generation Five Monotype Challenge. SoulSilver is a fourth generation game.
I realised that shortly after I posted, is there a thread for the 4th gen games?

telivisionhead

Lol I've already got up to Marlon on my dark type monotype challenge, Lol I even forgot to update my signature for it.
Okay now I'm doing an Electric Type Monotype challenge now. I love monotype challenges they are soooo fun :)
I'm in roxie's gym battling the trainers. My team currently is:
Fluffy the flaffy (Funny how I used fluffy against jeromes riolu. Some people may not understand but his a guy on youtube who does minecraft videos and his nickname is fluffy so it's funny) Level 20: MOVESET- Thundershock,Cotton Spore,Take Down,Thunder Wave'
Magnemite(Forgot to nickname it, when I go to castelia city i'll call it steely or steelio) Level 20: MOVESET- Sonicboom,Thundershock,Tackle,Thunder Wave
I will also get an eevee to evolve to jolteon in castelia city btw.
This is my planned team for this monotype when they are FULLY evolved
Magnezone
Ampharos
Elektross
Emolga
Jolteon
Zebstrika
I was gonna use joltik but having 2 pokemon weak to fire I thought it would be a bad idea.

Moonkit93

I think I'll do a dark type challenge though making a Purrloin into something battle worthy is probably gonna be difficult.

Moonkit93

It all started when I was very young. I became obsessed with dark type Pokemon when I came across a Purrloin outside of town. I quickly learned lots of people thought they were bad news but I knew otherwise. As a result of this when my mother informed me that "The Professor Juniper" wanted me to go on a Pokedex journey for her.

My dreams all came crashing down when I met Bianca who is Professor Juniper's assistant. Bianca was supposed to offer me my first Pokemon and I foolishly believed that their would be a dark type Pokemon in her bag for me but no such luck. Grabbing randomly at one of the three and not even caring which one it was I ended up choosing an Oshawott. I battled my friend Hugh in order to be nice to him but I wasn't really into it even if I did end up winning.

After arriving in route 19 I quickly captured a Purrloin before running to the nearest Pokemon center and depositing my Oshawott. I probably could have released it but I know that Oshawott will one day be able to learn surf and prove useful. After spending a little while training my newly captured Purrloin who I had named Shade to an acceptable level I continued onward only to be met with a creepy older guy standing on top of a ledge. Apparently this guy is "The Alder" I don't particularly care I still think he's creepy but I follow along anyway because such a famous trainer has to have some good advice.

After Alder said he would help me after I deliver the second town map to Hugh I quickly went to Flocessy Ranch. Arriving there I found Hugh who challenged me to a battle only to have his Snivy cruelly put down by Shade. Afterwards a pair of hicks came up to us and apparently they own the ranch. The owner's of the ranch had apparently lost one of their Herdier's and mentioned this to us causing Hugh to wig out.

Being the good friend I am I decided to help Hugh search for the lost Herdier though I could certainly understand why he would run away I mean who really wants to live on a farm. After finding the lost Herdier cornered by what I originally assumed was a Pokephile about to rape the poor dear I decided to rescue him. But just as me and Shade were going to put the beat down on this pervert he goes off on an insane rant about being a member of Team Plasma before throwing a TM at me and running away. Yay I now have access to the move Frustration which I taught to Shade.

After the owner of the ranch got his Herdier back and Hugh got to make a jerk of himself I stuck around awhile training Shade until he learned Pursuit before going back the way I came. As I was heading back to Aspertia City I was accosted by that creep Alder in Flocessy town. As he was dragging me into his home I was preparing myself to have to defend myself against his expected assault of my person only to be surprised that he wanted me to battle a pair of children sitting in the dark in his home. After thrashing those two and discovering Alder to really be nothing more than an old hippy I got out of there lest I be accosted again.

As I stepped outside I was again accosted by another freak who apparently went by the name of Mr. Medal. After being given a Medal box I ran all the way back to Aspertia City in order to get away from the craziness of Flocessy Town. Once I arrived back home I remembered the gym battle and went to battle the new Gym Leader Cheren. As I approached Cheren after thrashing his two gym trainer's I couldn't help but find something about him inexplicably and irrationally annoying maybe it was his smug air or his overconfident attitude but whatever the reason I hated him instantly.

As a direct result of that hate me and Shade were extremely brutal in the thrashing of his annoying Patrat and Lillipup. After defeating him and sitting through his slightly patronizing lecture I left his gym to continue my journey to become the best Dark type trainer ever. Seriously I'm gonna be even better than Karen or Grimsley.

***********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
My current team:
Shade- Purrloin Level 17
Moves: Fury Swipes, Frustration, Pursuit, Sand Attack

Moonkit93

After arriving in Virbank City I was sure I was finally free of craziness but no such luck. Right in front of the Virbank Pokemon center was what appeared to be a crazy lady screaming at a delusional older man. Listening into their argument I quickly discovered that the crazy lady was the Virbank gym leader and the delusional man was her father and the ship captain for the boat going to Castelia City A.K.A my eventual place of residence after destroying the elite four.

Deciding that I was tired of dealing with losing a battle every time my opponent scored a critical hit I decided to capture a second Purrloin. After capturing a second Purrloin and naming her Nyx I decided to go Audino hunting to train Shade and her up a bit. By the time I finished Audino hunting Shade had evolved into a Liepard and Nyx was level 18 and I was ready to take on the crazy poison lady. Upon entering the Gym I quickly realized it doubled as a filthy grunge rock club with bad music.

Despite the general craziness and bad taste in music I couldn't help but be somewhat amused by Roxie. My amusement however was ruined when she screamed at me earning her a very thorough thrashing at the hands of Nyx and Shade. After earning the Toxic Badge I was approached by someone who apparently should be told blonde hair and a tan do not go well with 80's style clothing and an afro. As I was getting ready to mention this to this crime to fashion he mentioned that he was a movie star agent and he wanted me to star in a movie.

Immediately all thoughts about chastising the fashion abomination left my mind and I followed him to Pokestar studios only to meet Roxie's father and watch his abomination of a movie. After watching that I was forced by the agent to act in a remake of said movie. My head has never hung lower in shame than when I saw that movie which shall never be mentioned again.

Afterwards I decided to walk to the pier to clear my thoughts only to be met by the pervert from before who apparently had two friends with him. They were getting ready to fight Roxie and my good friend Hugh so me being the good friend I am decided to jump in lest Hugh's berserk switch get him or his Snivy hurt. After soundly thrashing the Pervert from before Hugh, Roxie and I gave chase to the goons lest they get away. After thrashing another member of Team Plasma she ran to get on a boat.

Hugh in full on kill mode demanded that we go to Castelia City to chase them down. After arriving in Castelia city and taking part in the Harlequin challenge I decided to go to the nearby Route 4 and capture a Sandile and Scraggy which were named Cleopatra and Brent respectively. Afterwards I headed to the gym only to meet some girl with purple hair named Iris who decided to help me hunt down the Team Plasma members so I can be there when Hugh inevitably finds them so I can stop him from committing murder.

After finding the two goons in the sewer of all places Hugh was shocked out of his rampage by the eccentricness of Burgh. After Hugh left to train some more Burgh and I were shocked to meet a freak with a gear in his head. Deciding to go to Castelia's hidden garden to train off my shudder's I raised all of my Pokemon to level 25. I than proceeded to the gym and when I got to where Burgh is I discovered him high off of huffing paint.

Due to Burgh's being extremely high it was easy to defeat him. After receiving the insect badge I decided to continue my Journey to become the most awesome dark trainer ever.

***********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
My current team
Shade- Liepard Level 26
Moves: Fake Out, Return, Pursuit, Hone Claws

Nyx- Liepard Level 26
Moves: Cut, Return, Thief, Hone Claws

Cleopatra: Sandile Level 25
Moves: Bite, Assurance, Swagger, Sand Tomb

Brent- Scraggy Level 25
Moves: Brick Break, Payback, Headbutt, Swagger

Moonkit93

It's been awhile since I last posted and I don't think anyone wants to read an hour or twos worth of writing. So I'll give you the cliff notes version. I defeated Elesa easily and received the bolt badge with Cleopatra. Clay wasn't so easily and I was down to my last pokemon when I defeated him also in his city some old foagy who used to be a member of team plasma gave me a Zorua. I defeated Skyla by the skin of my teeth and having to use revives twice also she is an evil sadist.

After arriving in Lentimas town I captured a Skorupi and worked on getting all of my pokemon to level 40 with Audino hunting and ended up with a Drapion as a result. Deciding that two Liepard's were becoming a bad idea I deposited them both. I defeated my rival and than made my way over to Opelucid City before going to the nearby route nine and catching a Pawniard. before raising my team to level 50

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My current team
Veno- Drapion Level 50
Moves: Crunch, Poison Fang, Venoshock, Toxic Spikes

Zoroark Level 50
Moves: Night Slash, Faint Attack, Foul Play, Punishment

Cleopatra- Krookodile Level 50
Moves: Foul Play, Assurance, Sandstorm, Dig

Queen- Pawniard Level 50
Moves: Slash, Assurance, Metal Sound, Night Slash

Brent- Scrafty Level 50
Moves: Brick Break, Crunch, Facade, Scary Face

deh74

Seine Majestät
So I'm going to do a water monotype on black 2. Other than oshawott what Pokemon should I take other than that?

GimliSam

Wanting a short break from my 3rd Gen Nuzlocke, I had the idea to start a White Fighting monotype challenge, but realized I needed to trade off some Pokemon (Shiny Gigalith, Event Victini, maybe one or two others) from that save file, so I looked to trade to my recently restarted Black 2 save file. Then I realized that that file was exactly 0 minutes in, and couldn't trade. So, I am doing a Black 2 Grass monotype instead. I am at Floccesy Ranch, with a (bizarrely, all female) team of Snivy, Sewaddle, and Sunkern. I am going to go with ONLY Pokemon that are normally encountered in the game, no Legendaries, and the only trade I may allow is sending over the level 2 Leafeon that I have on the aforementioned White save file. Further, aside from an HM slave, only Grass types and shinies may be captured. Wish me luck: this should be, well, a challenge.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
I've decided to do a Water Monotype challenge in White version. I started the game and named my character, then I met Bianca and Cheren in my room in Nuvema Town and we inspected a box with Starter Pokemon inside. I chose Oshawott as my Starter, then Cheren and Bianca got their Starters. I battled against Bianca's Tepig and Cheren's Snivy, then we headed downstairs. I spoke to my mom, then I got the Xtransceiver from her and went outside. I visited Cheren and Bianca's houses then we went to Professor Juniper's lab together. After getting the Pokedex from Juniper, I went back outside and got the Town Map from my mother, then I went north to Route 1 with Cheren and Bianca and met Juniper there.

:501: - Level 6