• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

5th Gen Monotype Challenge Thread!

D-World

Robo-Cascoon's angry
I'm probably gonna run a monotype Ground, I've prepared a team, but now I need to Breed them.

Planned Team: :618: ;423; :553: ;034; ;389; ;330;

Drummerdude

I'm probably gonna run a monotype Ground, I've prepared a team, but now I need to Breed them.

Planned Team: :618: ;423; :553: ;034; ;389; ;330;
I wish you luck and I hope you post about your challenge so everyone can enjoy it.

I continued through Route 2 defeating the few trainers and Bianca. Soon I was in Striaton City. I immediately went to the Dreamyard for some more training. I went towards the school and had a battle with Cheren. It was rough because Tepig burned Snivy but I pulled through and won. It was then time for the gym. I beat the few trainers with ease and stood before Chili. Snivy took care of his Lillipup thanks to a few Growth's and since the effects of Growth stayed throughout the match Snivy took out Pansear too. One down, seven to go.

I exited the gym and talked to Fennel and she gave me HM01. I went to the Dreamyard and encountered some Plasma grunts who were taken care of easily. After a few wild battles in the Dream Yard Snivy evolved! I got the CGear from Fennel and headed to Route 3 where some trainers and Cheren waited to be defeated. Plasma grunts stole a Pokemon so Cheren chased them into a cave and beat the grunts. I then proceeded along Route 3 and defeated everyone in my path to Nacrene. I arrived in Nacrene and battled N. After the battle I went in the museum and started facing off against the gym trainers.

Current Team
496.png

Drummerdude

After I beat the gym trainers I started my battle with Lenora. Servine managed to take out Herdier after a few Leaf Tornados. When it came time to battle Watchog I got incredibly lucky. My first Leaf Tornado managed to lower Watchog's accuracy and it missed Retaliate and Hypnosis. It only took a few turns for Watchog to fall and for me to win my second badge. I saw Team Plasma steal the Dragon Skull so Burgh and I headed off to Pinwheel Forest.

I beat the first few trainers in the forest and walked in the grass looking for my next team member. Eventually I found my new Sewaddle! I took it outside and started training it against Audino. After a few battles it evolved into Swadloon! The trainers outside the forest were still batteable so I used them to train Swadloon. I went back into the forest and defeated all the Plasma Grunts and trainers and eventually got the skull back. After that I was on my way to Castelia City.

I crossed the Skyarrow Bridge and entered the city. I explored the city in hopes of helping Swadloon get happy. I even gave it a massage! The gym was my next destination so I went there but Burgh informed that someone's Pokemon was stolen. Bianca's Pokemon no less. So I headed with him to get her Munna back from Team Galactic, which we did. I took a break before entering the gym.

Current Team
496.png
541.png

pokemonbw01

Who's the daddy? Me!
Help me do a mono flying in black. Restrictions:

-You must nickname the pokemon.

Well, that's pretty much. And, it can have a second type. But, it needs at least 2 flying type moves.

b0bg0blin

Teh ub3r n00b
Am thinking about doing a monotype challenge however do not know which type to use, anyone have any suggestions?

Last edited:

Charoshi

Charmander is best
Am thinking about doing a monotype challenge however do not know which type to use, anyone have any suggestions?

My personal favourite for a mono is the flying type. Always seems to be plenty of those. It really depends if you can trade or not, or even want to, and if you want to be able to use surf and fly on an in-game team.

Ground is good, so is poison, grass and water. You can make flying/surf teams out of them. Normal and flying also. If you are just sticking to the 5th gen, than water or flying are nice, and electric and fire work, just without flyers.

My suggestion would be flying or water, although my poison on SS is really quite fun.

Drummerdude

Help me do a mono flying in black. Restrictions:

-You must nickname the pokemon.

Well, that's pretty much. And, it can have a second type. But, it needs at least 2 flying type moves.
How about Braviary named Wargle?

I just did a Grass monotype and it went well on White. Flying, Psychic, or Fighting would also work on the 5th gen games.

pokemonbw01

Who's the daddy? Me!
Ok, here are my pokemons till now:

Swanna named Ugly
Braviary named Wargle
Emolga named Sparx
Mandibuzz named Vultrix

I would be happy if you do the movesets as well and when should it evolve.

SilverMorty

pokemonbw01 your Emolga must be caught in the shaking grass before you challenge Elesa- it must defeat at least one of Elesa's Emolgas.

For a moveset, how about-

Acrobatics
Volt Change
Thunderbolt
U-turn/Light Screen (your pick- also depends if you're playing post game as well)

Charoshi

Charmander is best
Swanna, eh?

Surf
Featherdance
Air Slash/Brave Bird
Tailwind

Any suggestions for a team on black? I'll probably be trading over eggs. I want something a little obscure, but I like having fly and surf at my disposal for easier access. Any ideas?

Last edited:

SilverMorty

@Charoshi: Ghost would be a interesting monotype- you can get Jellicent for Surf while Golurk can be your Flier

Rock is also another more obscure type that can be interesting- the Fossils can be the Surfer/Fliers and since you can trade, you can have access to Gigalith and his good stats.

The only other types with Unova pokemon that can Surf/Fly are:

- Normal (Stoutland/Audino/Bouffalant and any Normal/Flying- you can also use the Normal/Grass type which can be interesting)
- Ground (Golurk and Seismitoad/Stunfisk)
- Water (Swanna for Fly, although limited Water types in the region)
- Dragon (if you can wait for Hydreigon for Fly- not a lot of dragons in Unova as well)

Last edited:

Charoshi

Charmander is best
@Charoshi: Ghost would be a interesting monotype- you can get Jellicent for Surf while Golurk can be your Flier

Rock is also another more obscure type that can be interesting- the Fossils can be the Surfer/Fliers and since you can trade, you can have access to Gigalith and his good stats.

The only other types with Unova pokemon that can Surf/Fly are:

- Normal (Stoutland/Audino/Bouffalant and any Normal/Flying- you can also use the Normal/Grass type which can be interesting)
- Ground (Golurk and Seismitoad/Stunfisk)
- Water (Swanna for Fly, although limited Water types in the region)
- Dragon (if you can wait for Hydreigon for Fly- not a lot of dragons in Unova as well)

Those are all good suggestions. I'm pretty much open to anything besides grass, flying and poison, the 3 types I have done. My friend suggested dark, and I also like your suggestions of ground, and ghost. I'm not sure I'd have the patience for dragon, although having a lucky egg does help. Hmm.. still have a lot to think about I suppose. I'm leaning towards something that has really only become prominent in recent gens, ala the steel/dark/ghost types, but ground is enticing... :s

Drummerdude

pokemonbw01, a moveset would be

Fly
Hone Claws
Superpower
Crush Claw

Since you do not get Rufflet until late in the game, there is not a restriction on evolution.

AquaRegisteel

Face Oblivion
Ok, I have decided and bred my Monotype Grass, with members used in Drummerdude's team:

MonoGrass Planned Team:

Leavanny Leaf Blade/X-Scissor/Agility/Baton Pass
Serperior Coil/Leaf Blade/Aerial Ace/Dragon Tail
Sawsbuck Swords Dance/Horn Leech/Jump Kick/Return
Simisage Seed Bomb/Acrobatics/Rock Slide/Brick Break or Crunch
Amoongus Giga Drain/Sludge Bomb/Spore/Toxic
Ferrothorn Power Whip/Gyro Ball/Payback or Ingrain/Curse

And I have planned Monotypes for each type, but I'm gonna have to trade stuff over to do them all.

!MonoGrass Challenge!

So, I picked out Snivy and beat both Cheren and Bianca, because I'm awesome. It leveled up thankfully. I did the introductory stuff before heading to Route 2. I had beaten N and beat every trainer on Route 2. I easily beat Bianca and arrived in the city without a problem. I got Panpour and beat the gym with them both.

I saved inside the gym near the door.

Charoshi

Charmander is best
Alright I've put a few teams together for some of the lesser used monotypes that I've seen. Any suggestions on which to use?

Steel
Empoleon
Skarmory
Magnezone
Bisharp
Lucario
Excadrill

Ghost
Gengar
Drifblim
Froslass
Jellicent
Chandelure
Golurk

Dark
Houndoom
Honchkrow
Crawdaunt
Krookodile
Scrafty
Weavile

Fire
Charizard
Magcargo
Houndoom
Blaziken
Camerupt
Chandelure

Psychic
Starmie
Jynx
Exeggutor
Gallade
Sigilyph
Claydol

Ground
Swampert
Mamoswine
Excadrill
Gliscor
Golurk
Torterra

Rock
Carracosta
Archeops
Cradilly
Crustle
Lunatone
Magcargo

Ice
Cloyster
Jynx
Mamoswine
Abomasnow
Froslass
Weavile

Any suggestions? I can always just do the ever so easy flying type, but I've done it before.

Edit: I've decided on steel. Wish me luck, and anyone who wants to test out one of these others teams can be my guest. I'm fairly fond of most of them, except ice really.

Last edited:

Aura Flare Riolu

Cutest Riolu around!
If there's any Pokemon you should use in a Fire Monotype Challenge, it's Drought Vulpix/Ninetales. Helps out huge, trust me. I'll never forget the time when my Vulpix (Yes Vulpix, not Ninetales) Confuse Haxed and Critical Haxed Drayden's Haxorus to death :)