• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

5th Gen Monotype Challenge Thread!

Pokemonpal7

Jungle Ninja
Hey, starting my own Black Monotype challenge. I'm gonna be kicking it off with Snivy, who will quickly be replaced by true starter, Joltik. I will then proceed to collect the rest of my team, which will be Sewaddle, Venipede, Dwebble and Larvesta. I shall also be importing a Yanma from far-off Johto. CurRent Team:

:595: Ruru the Joltik

amittal12

Sceptile Maniac
Easily beaten the gym despite the type disadvantage.Defeated all Team Plasma grunts and two Ace trainers in Dragonspiral tower where both Foongus and Ferroseed evolved into Amoonguss and Ferrothorn respectively.Defeated all Team Plasma grunts in Relic Castle and got the Light Stone.Defeated all trainers on Route 8 and Moor of Icirrus.Also defeated Bianca easily and saved the game.

Team:

:497: Snaky
:542: Leavy
:511: Leafmon
:586: Deerly
:591: Fungy
:598: Thorny

Boxed:

:546: Cottony
:549: Lillil
:556: Cacti
:529: HM Only Drilbur
:580: HM Only Ducklett

MonoclePenguin

First of May
Plan on doing a bug monotype. However I have a question about traded evolutions like Escavalier and Accelgor. Are they allowed to be traded for the evolutionary purpose? Sorry if this has been asked already.

ilovedeino

Deino Master
Plan on doing a bug monotype. However I have a question about traded evolutions like Escavalier and Accelgor. Are they allowed to be traded for the evolutionary purpose? Sorry if this has been asked already.

Yes, you can trade for evolutionary purposes.

MonoclePenguin

First of May
Yes, you can trade for evolutionary purposes.

cool, then monobug team go!!

So far 1 badge and wasn't easy lol (chose Snivy)

Venonat - Natalii lvl 13

amittal12

Sceptile Maniac
Defeated All trainers on Route 9.Also defeated both trainers in rotation battles in Battle House.Defeated the Gym Leader Brycen with not much difficulty thanks to Dragon Tail's low priority.Got the Master Ball from Prof. Juniper.Defeated all trainers on Route 10.Evolved Pansage with a leaf stone as it has now learned Crunch and saved the game.

:512: Leafmon

Boxed:

Pokemonpal7

Jungle Ninja
Urgh. After a single trade to get my starter, this is not going well. I still only have Ruru the Joltik, and now it's over levelled. So I'm at my wits end with him ignoring me. Lenora is giving me hell. Level 21 is not doing Ruru any favours.

:595: Ruru the Joltik Lv.21

amittal12

Sceptile Maniac
Defeated All Trainers on Victory Road.In Pokemon League,I defeated Grimsley and Caitlin and restored all my Pokemon to full health.But against Shauntal's Chandelure swept my entire by just using Fire Blast and to my bad luck none of its hit missed(not even on my Bright Powder Leavanny).So,I'll have to think up another strategy.My Team:

Boxed:

cantab

I completed the Celestial Tower, which was a nice walk. Caught a Litwick, but I had already decided my 5th Gen member is going to be Golurk. I then completed Skyla's Gym. Skyla herself tried but failed, as I lead with Fluorine against her Swoobat. Swoobat's Amnesiaing let me safely Nasty Plot three times, and though Fluorine suffered some damage he took Swoobat down and at +6 Special Attack there was no stopping him finishing things off. Helium finally got his much needed decent flying move as Skyla gave me the Acrobatics TM.

Cheren managed to pose more of a challenge, but was no big deal, and then it was on to Twist Mountain. Boldores are a right pain, and the mountain demanded a fair number of healing items from me, but though something of a slog it was no Chargestone Cave. I didn't explore every corner though, as I reached Icirrus.

After a quick check round the town I went to the Dragonspiral Tower, but it was no entry. The Icirrus Gym first. The levels of the Gym Trainers told me this would be more of a challenge than Skyla's, and then I came up to Brycen.

I lead Hydrogen against his Vanillish, and went straight for the Shadow Ball. It missed the OHKO, but got the Special Defense fall, as Vanillish Acid Armoured. Though Brycen used a Hyper Potion, it was fruitless as Hydrogen's Sludge Bomb took Vanillish straight down.

Beartic was much sturdier, and taking a dent from a Shadow Ball KOed Hydrogen right back with Icicle Crash. Fluorine stepped up, and I went for the Nasty Plot, to be hit by a Swagger. That demanded a Full Heal, then we traded Hexes with Icicle Crashes, both using a Hyper Potion before Beartic went down.

Now it was Brycen's last Pokemon, his Cryogonal, and I opted for the Pain Split. Fluorine was outsped, but hung on from the Aurora Beam before snagging 50 HP. Being on the receiving end of a crit made it my turn to use a cheeky Hyper Potion, before ending the battle in style with Fluorine's last ever Hex, as he reached level 41 and learnt Shadow Ball to replace it.

Now the Shadow Triad have invited me to Dragonspiral Tower. There N awaits, but more important, I can find my 5th team member.

amittal12

Sceptile Maniac
I defeated The Elite 4 thanks to some luck.But N was very difficult to defeat.His Zekrom most of the time took down atleast 2 Pokemon each time as well as his Vanilluxe's Blizzard,Archeop's Acrobatics and Zoroark's Flamethrower were pretty tough to handle for my team.But today i managed to defeat him(on 12th try) finally after some training in Sports Domes in Nimbasa.But then I faced Ghetsis and his Hydreigon toreburnt my team into pieces on the first try.So I'll have to do some more training to catch up with his team levels.
Team:

Boxed:

cantab

On the second floor of Dragonspiral Tower, I caught my fifth and final member, Radon the Golett! Who has Klutz :(

Klutz doesn't stop EXP Share working, thank Arceus, so I trained him up as I went up the tower. He was initially underwhelming, with a pair of unreliable moves (Magnitude and DynamicPunch) and generally poor power. Nonetheless, I got through Dragonspiral Tower, albeit with a close call at the stage where I had to fight four Plasma Grunts in a row, my team being weakened.

I reached the summit, and tried to remember if there was to be a battle with N. Unsure, I healed my Pokemon, pointlessly as it turned out for N just jabbered before flying off on Zekrom.

Then it was a quick flight to Nimbasa, where before heading to the Relic Castle I opted to train Radon up in the sports venues. There, I suffered one of my rare losses, a basketball player's Stoutland critting Helium, then I went through my Pokemon in completely the wrong order before downing it with my weakened Hydrogen, only to realise that Stoutland was not the only Pokemon, and worse, my opponent's second was a Boldore. With Sturdy saving it from the OHKO it took down Hydrogen.

On the rematch, it was my turn to get a timely crit and an easy win.

Relic Castle was a pain in the backside. The battles were not especially difficult, especially once it occurred to me to teach Radon the less powerful but much more reliable Brick Break over DynamicPunch, but they just seem really frequent. The worst case being dropping through quicksand to land on top of an item, getting into a battle upon turning to face north, and then another one upon taking one step north :mad:

Eventually Radon reached level 42 in the castle, and evolved to Golurk. At which point this Rare Candy Treatment strip was invoked.

I've now just left the Nacrene Pokemon Centre, having trade-evolved Hydrogen to Gengar. Next stop Opelucid!

UPDATE: The Moor of Icirrus was explored, and then I crossed into Opelucid. Ghetsis was being suspicious and I had a couple of fun rotation battles, then despatched the Gym Trainers. They have decent Pokemon, but mine are stronger than ever and the battles were little trouble.

Now it is the big one. The 8th Gym Badge, and a titanic clash between the two rarest of Elemental Types: Drayden's Dragons, against my Ghosts.

;094; ;200; ;292; ;426; :623: VS :611: :621: :612:

Fluorine was to be my lead. Gym Leaders tend to open with their weakest Pokemon, so I hoped to get a Nasty Plot without taking too much damage. Drayden, however, had other ideas, his Fraxure taking Fluorine down after a Dragon Dance.

I sent Radon in next, for his Iron Defenses to counter Fraxure's Attack boosts. A risky strategy, I'd be very exposed to critical hits, but one that succeeded as I got three Iron Defenses in before taking Fraxure down with Magnitudes 7 and 6.

Next was Druddigon, and despite having wings Unova's oddball dragon is firmly grounded, so a Magnitude 8 dented it before Radon was phased out with Dragon Tail, Dragging Neon in.

Neon. My highest levelled Pokemon, but also one with a record of being my most useless. And Druddigon has rough skin, but can it hurt Neon otherwise? I called for the Endure to scout: sure enough, it has Night Slash. That's going to hit any switch-in super-effectively, although Helium can probably handle it, and perhaps Radon or Fluorine. Nonetheless, it seemed safer to go for the X-Scissor and accept sacrificing Neon.

Drayden's final Pokemon I "knew" would be a Zweillous, so I sent in Radon for his Brick Break. I knew wrong, it's Haxorus! Well, may as well go for the Magnitude, and though it was a 7 it was a critical hit Mag 7. Game, set, and match.

Last edited:
So I borrowed my friend's black version since I didn't want to restart on my own White version...
I think I'll follow cantab and do a pan-generational Ground Monotype run.

Unsure of anything, but I want a 6th member, so I'll choose Trapinch as my pseudo starter.
and just to make the run against my rivals harder, I'll choose Tepig to make both of them take super-effective against me. Not to mention the first gym.
Any suggestions for team?

No idea if there should be a theme for names, so right now its just Trapinch ;328;

amittal12

Sceptile Maniac
So I borrowed my friend's black version since I didn't want to restart on my own White version...
I think I'll follow cantab and do a pan-generational Ground Monotype run.

Unsure of anything, but I want a 6th member, so I'll choose Trapinch as my pseudo starter.
and just to make the run against my rivals harder, I'll choose Tepig to make both of them take super-effective against me. Not to mention the first gym.
Any suggestions for team?

No idea if there should be a theme for names, so right now its just Trapinch ;328;

Take Dugtrio for Gen 1,Donphan for Gen 2,Whiscash for Gen 3,Mamoswine for Gen 4 and Stunfisk for Gen 5.

Nyarlathotep

Eldritch Abomination
I was planning to do a Flying or Normal Monotype Challenge, because there is a lot of those types in Unova, but since there is no problem in trading, I will do a Dark Monotype Challenge.

My planned team:

430MS.png
- fly user, helps in fights against fighting types.

332MS.png
- to beat ground, water and rock.

461MS.png
- to beat dragon, ground, flying etc.

435MS.png
- the tank of my team and a good toxic user. Drapion would be a better choice, but I am tired of using it on my Platinum Team.

553MS.png
- to beat steel, rock and dragon (with outrage)

560MS.png
- to beat rock, steel, ice, etc

--

319MS.png
- surfer

302MS.png
- slave

Last edited:

amittal12

Sceptile Maniac
Sorry,I forgot to mention in my previous posts about Virizion and Reshiram which I have captured.Finally after more than a week of training in Sports Domes, I was able to defeat Ghetsis.The Credits rolled and THE END was written but I continue my journey to meet and capture other region's Grass Type Pokemon and defeat the Eastern Unova.Looker came and gave me a fishing rod and a task-to find the 7 Team Plasma Sages.Now my goal is to train some more in Eastern Unova and take on and defeat the Pokemon League,Cynthia and Shigeki Morimoto.

First Game Clear Team:

:497: Snaky Lv.55
:542: Leavy Lv.54
:512: Leafmon Lv.54
:586: Deerly Lv.55
:591: Fungy Lv.54
:598: Thorny Lv. 55

Post First Game Clear -

I defeated all trainers in Route 11 and Village Bridge.But I barely managed to win against Two Trainers with Swoobat on Route 12 with my Ferrothorn surviving with 3 HP.This made me angry and I saved the Game.

Team:

Boxed:

:640: Grassy
:643: 'The Forced to catch to advance storyline' Reshiram

Last edited:

ilovedeino

Deino Master
I will start a Water Mono-type later on Black.

Planned Team:
Starmie
Poliwrath
Swampert
Sharpedo
Swanna
Ludicolo
With this team, I have a type advantage against every type, except dragon but also, I have Ice moves, so it evens out.

Last edited:

amittal12

Sceptile Maniac
I will start a Water Mono-type later on Black.

Planned Team:
Starmie
Poliwrath
Swampert
Sharpedo
Swanna
Ludicolo
With this team, I have a type advantage against every type, except dragon but also, I have Ice moves, so it evens out.

You forgot Flying type but Ice moves can take care of them as well.

ilovedeino

Deino Master
You forgot Flying type but Ice moves can take care of them as well.

Oh yes, well at least I have every type still covered, thank you telling me, I would've never noticed it.
I guess I'll go ahead and start it.

Okay, I started with Oshawott. I just solo'd with Lillipup until my first badge.
I caught a bunch of Pokemon to trade with. I traded in(all eggs) Staryu, Poliwag, Mudkip, Carvanha, Ducklett, and Lotad.

I hatched them all, and trained a while. Team at this point:
;120;Staryu Lv.12
Tackle, Harden, Water Gun, Rapid Spin
;060;Poliwag Lv.13
Water Pulse(egg), Endure(egg), Endeavor(egg), Hypnosis
;258; Mudkip Lv.12
Sludge(egg), Counter(egg), Mirror Coat(egg), Water Gun
;318; Carvanha Lv.13
Hydro Pump(egg), Ancientpower(egg), Double-Edge(egg), Bite
:580: Ducklett Lv.13
Steel Wing(egg), Brine(egg), Air Cutter(egg), Defog
;270;Lotad Lv.12
Razor Leaf(egg), Teeter Dance(egg), Synthesis(egg), Nature Power

I will continue later.

Take Dugtrio for Gen 1,Donphan for Gen 2,Whiscash for Gen 3,Mamoswine for Gen 4 and Stunfisk for Gen 5.

Wow that's actually pretty close to what I had thought of

I think I'll go ahead and take
Flygon
Dugtrio
Donphan
either swampert or whiscash (swampert was my original choice, but since they have the same type and similar stats, I could go with whiscash...)
Gligar
and Stunfisk.

I was actually thinking krrokadile for 5th gen, but stunfisk sounds like an interesting choice since it's so... bizarre.

ilovedeino

Deino Master
Okay, I just beat Elesa, it was kind of easy, I had Marshtomp.

;120;Staryu Lv.33
Bubblebeam, Swift, Camouflage, Recover
;062;Poliwrath Lv.34
Water Pulse, Body Slam, Focus Punch, Mud Shot
;259; Marshtomp Lv.32
Sludge, Mud Shot, Take Down, Water Gun
;319; Sharpedo Lv.34
Auqa Jet, Ancientpower, Crunch, Ice Fang
:580: Ducklett Lv.33
Steel Wing, Brine, Air Cutter, Fly
;271;Lombre Lv.33
Razor Leaf, Teeter Dance, Zen Headbutt, Bubblebeam