• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

5th Gen Monotype Challenge Thread!

amittal12

Sceptile Maniac
An update after a long time.I have defeated all the remaining routes and areas like Dreamyard etc and got all the seven sages arrested but my team was still in its mid 60s while the GameFreak guy,Elite 4,Alder and Cynthia all have 70+ Pokemon,so i decided to train in the Nimbasa Domes.I defeated Cheren easily in the Victory Road Rematch and was just waiting to defeat Bianca but i came to know that you've defeat the Elite 4 for the second time to have rematches with her.Anyways, all of my Pokemon are now Lv 74-75 so i decided to battle GameFreak guy since I thought it would be easier to defeat him than the Elite 4,Alder or Cynthia.On the first attempt i could defeat only his Liepard and his second Pokemon,a damn good for nothing Simisear swept my whole team.On the second try,I got a little better and defeated his Liepard,Simisear,Swoobat and Zebstrika but my last Pokemon was defeated by his Simipour's Acrobatics.It seems like I'll have to train some more maybe to Lv 80 to defeat him.

My Team:

;465; Tangling
;286; Mushroom
;103; Egg Mash
;346; Cradley
;357; Tropical
;479-c; Eeks(In-game Trade)

Boxed:

Box 8(For Reserves)

:497: Snaky
:542: Leavy
:512: Leafmon
:586: Deerly
:591: Fungy
:598: Thorny
:546: Cottony
:549: Lillil
:556: Cacti
:640: Grassy
;421; Cherry
;191; Sunny

Box 7(For HM Slaves/Others)

:529: HM Only Drilbur
:580: HM Only Ducklett
:643: 'The Forced to catch to advance storyline' Reshiram
;418; HM Only Buizel

oRushx

HNNNNNNNNNG
So yesterday I decided to partake in this monotype fun and started up a Dark run. I kinda went easy mode and had my 6 dark types ready to be traded at level 5 once I got the chance since I like the older dark types more. I just beat N at the Nimbasa City Ferris Wheel and hopefully my team makes it through. Here's a quick glimpse of my team.

:551: Chompy the Sandile Lv. 22

;318; LittleJaws the Carvahna Lv. 22

;461; Sherbert the Weavile Lv. 24

:559: Marf the Scraggy Lv. 20

;359; Seiji the Absol Lv. 21

;331; Crow the Cacnea Lv. 21 (not a dark type yet but he will be and I've never used/have always wanted to use a Cacturne)

So far we've been doing okay but I have run into some annoyances with how frail this type is as well as the annoying weaknesses it has. Other than that this is definitely a fun little challenge and I'm enjoy my variation of it.

oRushx

HNNNNNNNNNG
Update!

So after some thinking, I changed my team up a bit because I think it would work a little better overall. First, I dropped Absol for Houndoom just for better coverage plus I like Houndoom a lot better. Second, I took Weavile out because I've had one on every single B/W team I've used. So I replaced Sherbert with Scrambles the Murkrow!

:560: Marf the Scrafty Lv. 39

;332; Crow the Cacturne Lv. 32

;319; LittleJaws the Sharpedo Lv. 33

:552: Chompy the Krokorok Lv. 31

;229; Cerberus the Houndoom Lv. 31

;198; Scrambles the Murkrow Lv. 34

Reserves.

;359; Seiji Lv. 30

;461; Sherbert Lv. 30

I've made it to the Celestial Tower right before fighting Skyla. Needless to say an all dark team completely shredded the Psychics and Ghosts in here.

Jessie_James

I have returned!
Preparing a Mono Type Challenge Recently, looking for one in White 2 (sorry if I can't bring that up here)...I will allow any type but (Fire/Ghost/Ground/Steel) doing these currently which shall i try for White 2 you guys?

Sawk

Started a grass monotype, and beat first gym using snivy's growth on the lillipup so i could 2 hit the pansear.
Team:
Snivy Level 15 Tackle Cut Vine Whip and Growth

I then went to nacrene city, and began my gym battle.
I hit the herdier with leaf tornado, and it take downed. I leaf tornadoed again, and it take downed to KO itself.
I then went into battle with Watchog, healed using the fresh water, it used retaliate, I attacked with leaf tornado, lowering accuracy, and it misses with retaliate. I used leaf tornado again, It missed with hypnosis and i leaf tornadoed it and it died!
Team
Servine 23 Leaf Tornado Cut Vine Whip Leech Seed

Last edited:

amittal12

Sceptile Maniac
So,I have finally completed my grass monotype this weekend defeating all the remaining boss battles (Shigeki Morimoto,Elite 4+Alder,Bianca and Cynthia).Here are highlights of the important battles:

-His fast Liepard did some damage with Fake out and Grass Knot but it was taken out by Mushroom's Sky Uppercut.
-His Swoobat did some damage to Eeks with Psychic but it was taken out by a single Thunderbolt.
-Cradley highly damaged Simisear with Stone Edge and also took half damage from Flamethrower but missing another Stone Edge cost it and it was defeated with a Flamethrower.
-Simisear took out Mushroom with Acrobatics but its Effect Spore paralyzed it.
-Simisear was finally taken out by an Earthquake from Tangling.
-Tangling took some damage from Zebstrika's Giga Impact but defeated it with two Earthquake.
-His Simipour surprisingly defeated Eeks after activating its Petaya Berry.
-It was taken out by Tangling's Energy Ball.
-Simisage's Acrobatics defeated Tropical.
-It was finally defeated by Egg Mash's Sludge Bomb.

-Mushroom defeated Sharpedo with a Seed Bomb.
-Liepard heavily damaged Mushroom with a Super Effective Aerial Ace but it hung on due to its Sitrus Berry and defeated it with Sky Uppercut.
-Mushroom then defeated both Bisharp and Scrafty with one Sky Uppercut each.
-I switched to Cradley against Drapion. It did some damage due to STAB Crunch but I defeated it with some Earthquake.
-Eeks defeated Krookodile with one Leaf Storm.

-Marshal's Breloom was faster than my Tropius and it used Spore but it missed thanks to Tropius's BrightPowder and moments later,it was defeated with a Super Effective Air Slash.
-His Sawk's Poison Jab poisoned Egg Mash while it survived Psychic due to Sturdy.We both used a Full Restore each.It used another Poison Jab taking out half my HP and survived another Psychic due to Sturdy.Its next Poison Jab defeated it.
-Tropical took heavy damage from its Stone Edge but defeated it with an Air Slash.
-It did a little more than half damage to Conkeldurr with Air Slash but was taken out by a Stone Edge.
-Mushroom's Spore slept his Conkeldurr while a Seed Bomb took it out.
-Mienshao made Eeks flinch with Fake Out and did heavy damage with Hi Jump Kick but Eeks survived due to its Sitrus Berry and used a Thunderbolt to paralyze it.One more Thunderbolt and it was out.
-Eeks used Thunderbolt to reduce Toxicroak's HP to about half before being taken out by a Venoshock.
-Tangling defeated Toxicroak with an Earthquake but not before taking heavy damage from Venoshock.
-Mushroom's Spore slept Throh and then it used Seed Bomb.Throh woke up and used Grass Knot on it which activated its Effect Spore paralyzing Throh.It was taken out by another Seed Bomb.

Musharna did some damage to Eeks with Hypnosis-Dream Eater Combo,but as soon as it woke up it Musharna was defeated with a Shadow Ball.
-Sigilyph did some damage to Eeks with Ice Beam but it was also defeated by Thunderbolt.
-Tropical handled her powerful Metagross well due to its BrightPowder and defeated it with 3 Earthquake.
-Eeks defeated her Reuniclus with a critical hit Shadow Ball.
-Mushroom defeated her Bronzong with two Sky Uppercut after using Spore to make it sleep.
-Eeks was taken out by Gothitelle's Psychic but not before reducing its HP to half with Shadow Ball.
-Mushroom defeated Gothitelle with Shadow Ball.

-Eeks defeated her Cofagrigus with a Shadow Ball but not before being damage a little and being burned(I healed it with my last Burn Heal).
-Cradley took some serious damage from Froslass's Blizzard and knocked it out with a powerful Stone Edge.
-Golurk was defeated by Mushroom's Seed Bomb.
-Cradley was defeated by Chandelure's Fire Blast.
-Mushroom avoided a Fire Blast and put Chandelure to sleep with Spore.It then knocked it out with a Stone Edge.
-Eeks defeated Drifblim with a single Thunderbolt.
-Eeks used Thunderbolt on Jellicent but it survived and its Cursed Body disabled Thunderbolt.It used Sludge Wave to do some damage.It was finally taken out by a Leaf Storm.

-
Tropical took half damage from his Accelgor and defeated it with an Air Slash.
-Vanilluxe was taken out by Mushroom's Sky Uppercut.
-Cradley was defeated with 2 Bug Buzz from Volcarona after its Stone Edge missed.
-I switched to Egg Mash and healed Cradley with a Max Revive but it was taken out by Overheat.
-This time Cradley defeated Volcarona with a Stone Edge but being slower,was damaged heavily by Bug Buzz.
-Mushroom used Sky Uppercut to heavily damage Bouffalant but it survived and used Head Charge that hit Mushroom for a great deal of damage but it was defeated by Recoil.
-Mushroom used Spore to make Escavalier asleep and defeated it with 2 Sky Uppercut.
-Mushroom used Spre to make Druddigon asleep and used Sky Uppercut but it missed.Druddigon woke up and defeated it with Outrage.
-Tropical did some damage to Druddigon but it was taken out by some Outrage and Night Slash.
-Finally Eeks defeated Druddigon with 2 Shadow Ball.

Bianca's battle was easily won due to her low level compared to Elite 4.The only highlight of the battle was her Musharna's annoying Yawn-Dream Eater combo.

-Tropical damaged Spiritomb heavily with some Air Slash and Leaf Storm but it was defeated due to a burn from Will-O-Wisp.
-Tangling defeated it with Energy Ball.
-Egg Mash heavily damaged Milotic with a Leaf Storm but it was defeated by a Blizzard and Hydro Pump.
-Tangling avoided a Blizzard and defeated it with an Energy Ball.
-Eeks easily defeated Braviary with a Thunderbolt.
-Cradley took 3 Flamethrowers from Eelektross and defeated it with 3 Stone Edge.
-Mushroom took heavy damage from Lucario's Aura Sphere and defeated it with Sky Uppercut.
-Mushroom and Cradley were easily defeated by Garchomp.
-Tangling 4HKOed her Garchomp with Energy Ball because it missed 2 Dragon Rush.

My Team with their final levels and movesets:

;465; Tangling Lv.78 Energy Ball/Sludge Bomb/Rock Slide/Earthquake
;286; Mushroom Lv.78 Seed Bomb/Sky Uppercut/Stone Edge/Spore
;103; Egg Mash Lv.76 Leaf Storm/Psychic/Sludge Bomb/Hidden Power Ground
;346; Cradley Lv.79 Energy Ball/Stone Edge/Earthquake/Giga Impact
;357; Tropical Lv.77 Leaf Storm/Air Slash/Earthquake/Hiddem Power Electric
;479-c; Eeks(In-game Trade) Lv.80 Leaf Storm/Thunderbolt/Shadow Ball/Uproar

Boxed:

Box 8(For Reserves)

:497: Snaky Lv.58 Leaf Blade/Aerial Ace/Dragon Tail/Giga Impact
:542: Leavy Lv.57 Leaf Blade/X-Scissor/Aerial Ace/Retaliate
:512: Leafmon Lv.57 Seed Bomb/Rock Slide/Dig/Crunch
:586: Deerly Lv.57 Horn Leech/Double Edge/Jump Kick/Megahorn
:591: Fungy Lv.57 Energy Ball/Sludge Bomb/Faint Attack/Giga Impact
:598: Thorny Lv.58 Power Whip/Gyro Ball/Bulldoze/Aerial Ace
:546: Cottony Lv.31 Giga Drain/Growth/Leech Seed/Stun Spore
:549: Lillil Lv.30 Giga Drain/Leech Seed/Quiver Dance/Flash
:556: Cacti Lv.28 Giga Drain/Needle Arm/Pin Missile/Synthesis
:640: Grassy Lv.42 Giga Drain/Sacred Sword/Retaliate/Helping Hand
;421; Cherry Lv. 48 SolarBeam/Take Down/Lucky Chant/Worry Seed
;191; Sunny Lv. 57 Giga Drain/Seed Bomb/Sunny Day/Synthesis

Box 7(For HM Slaves/Others)

:529: HM Only Drilbur(for Cut/Strength)
:580: HM Only Ducklett(for Fly/Surf)
:643: 'The Forced to catch to advance storyline' Reshiram
;418; HM Only Buizel(for Waterfall)

In my next post,I will rate how well each Pokemon performed on a scale of 0-10.

D-World

Robo-Cascoon's angry
Preparing a Mono Type Challenge Recently, looking for one in White 2 (sorry if I can't bring that up here)...I will allow any type but (Fire/Ghost/Ground/Steel) doing these currently which shall i try for White 2 you guys?

I would recommend Fighting since you get in-game access to Emboar, Lucario, Scrafty, Heracross and some others that are pretty neat.

I'm going to restart my White Game, ampnd I'm going for a Ground Monotype with
-Stunfisk
-Nidoking
-Gastrodon
-Camerupt
-Golurk
-Flygon

Last edited:

Shinku

neko, desu~
Started a Dark type run of White a day or two ago. Up to the flying gym and due to face Skyla soon~

Team:
http://i47.*******.com/8x547r.png
Thornbee the Cacturne -- Level 40 -- Spikes/Pin Missile/Absorb/Faint Attack

http://i46.*******.com/17y7ic.png
Yahtzee! the Sandile -- Level 28 -- Embargo/Sand Tomb/Crunch/Swagger

http://i49.*******.com/2utt5bo.png
Morrigan the Deino -- Level 32 -- Headbutt/Dragon Pulse/DragonBreath/Crunch

http://i50.*******.com/t6cfuu.png
Zathura the Scraggy -- Level 38 -- Swagger/Brick Break/Hi Jump Kick/Crunch

http://i47.*******.com/kbrn1l.png
BlackBlade the Pawniard -- Level 41 -- Faint Attack/Swords Dance/Brick Break/Embargo

http://i48.*******.com/2l9piqu.png
Loki the Sableye -- Level 29 -- Knock Off/Fury Swipes/Shadow Claw/Shadow Sneak

pokeon

I shall be doing a Monotype Bug on my Black version, after I get my first badge I'll trade over my first bug pokemon to officially start my challenge! My first bug is most likely going to be Dwebble. :3

D-World

Robo-Cascoon's angry
Finished my White Monotype on Ground! I got them all to Lvl 100 too! (so damn proud.)

Here they are:

Megatron the Golurk
Lvl 100 - Jolly Nature - Iron Fist
-Earthquake
-Shadow Punch
-Hammer Arm
-Fly

Nymeria the Nidoqueen
Lvl 100 - Lax Nature - Sheer Force
-Earth Power
-Ice Beam
-Thunderbolt
-Flamethrower

Derpfisk the Stunfisk
Lvl 100 - Quirky Nature - Static
-Earth Power
-Thunderbolt
-Scald
-Thunder Wave

Archway the Camerupt
Lvl 100- Hasty Nature-Solid Rock
-Heat Wave
-Earth Power
-Rock Slide
-Will-O-Wisp

Rhaegon the Flygon
Lvl 100- Docile Nature- Levitate
-Dragon Claw
-Earthquake
-Stone Edge
-Draco Meteor

Mr. Smiles the Quagsire
Lvl 100- Docile Nature- Water Absorb
-Waterfall
-Earthquake
-Recover
-Ice Beam

I recently got Black 2 from Ebay. I'm wondering whether I should do a Bug Monotype or a Flying Monotype...

Freeze Frame

Okay, starting up a ghost-type monotype run on Black 2 now that I picked it up.

As a side note, Dream Radar/Dream World pokemon are allowed, traded are not. And I am not barring myself from legendaries (since only Giratina falls under that category for ghosts).

So, named my trainer Fantina, in honor of Sinnoh's ghost-type gym leader.

Before starting up, I did some Dream Radar runs, and got, in a total of 4 runs, a single ghost type.

So my starter, after choosing Oshawott to surf for a Frillish later, is a Spiritomb

Spiritomb naturally made a complete joke of Cheren's gym, what with being immune to stuff and able to hit hard enough with Pursuit/Faint Attack

So team as I enter Virbank City:

;442; Spiritomb - Female - Docile nature.

Confuse Ray
Pursuit
Faint Attack
Shadow Sneak

Hudsonn98

Soon, I'm going to start a Dark Monotype Run in Black so my planned team is:

;461; "Silver'

;342; "Triton"

;359; "Eclipse"

;452; "Scorpia"

;553; "Chip"

;630; "Jane"

Monster Guy

Fairy type Trainer
I'm doing a Mono Psychic run of White 1. As soon as I'm able to transfer Pokemon, I'll transfer some Psychic Pokemon over.

Now, I just have to get through the beginning of the game...

Finally! I can start

Team

Gwendolyn the female Munna

Last edited:

SpeedDeoxys

Am I wrong here?
I'm now doing a Normal monotype on my Black now. These are my pokémon:

:506: Lv 7

:504: Lv 5

BJPalmer85

Starting a grass monotype

Intended team:

Bulbasuar
Ferroseed
Shroomish
Snivy
Snover
Turtwig

B

Hey! I'm looking to start a steel monotype challenge for Black 2!
I'll take pokemon suggestions, evolution challenges, and nicknames, maybe.
No duplicates of the same pokemon or secondary type. I can trade and get basically anything I'll need.
Also, I'll take pokemon that gain the steel type through evolution (such as the Piplup line).
Also, no Mawile, because.

Last edited:

BJPalmer85

Hey! I'm looking to start a steel monotype challenge for Black 2!
I'll take pokemon suggestions, evolution challenges, and nicknames, maybe.
No duplicates of the same pokemon or secondary type. I can trade and get basically anything I'll need.
Also, I'll take pokemon that gain the steel type through evolution (such as the Piplup line).
Also, no Mawile, because.

If your going with steel. Two must have (IMO) are beldum and magnemite. Ferroseed is another one I would use. I would reconsider Mawile simply because it can learn most of the TM's allowing you to fill in any holes in your team.

Thanks for the input! Lol, I was waiting to start my file to get a full team from pure suggestions. I'll definitely use Beldum and Magnemite. The only reason I don't want to use Mawile is because of its poor basest at distribution, but I could always hunt for a sheer force Mawile on dream world, now that I think about it. Thanks, BJPalmer95!

BJPalmer85

not a problem. Lucario and Bisharp would be my other suggestions, or even Steelix as a defensive juggernaut.

I like steel, very versatile and if done right can be a ***** to take down

B

Great! I've now started my journey after a tedious first gym battle D:
Current team
Level 11 Mawile (didnt expect this haha)
Level 11 shiny Beldum (I've been saving it for such an occasion.
Now I'm off to Virbank to catch my Magnemite and brush off Roxie.