1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We are to experience downtime on Monday September 21st to bring the forums up to the latest version of the software. As this is a big forum, it'll take multiple hours to transfer and then rebuild the styles. We apologise for the inconvenience. In the meantime, you'll still be able to chat in the Serebii Discord
  3. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

5th Gen Recent Happenings Thread

Discussion in 'Pokémon Generation V Discussion' started by bobandbill, Jul 17, 2015.

1. Ishiftyounot

Ishiftyounot Master Procrastinator

I have company at last! No longer alone in this part of the forums. Fantastic stuff.

A short update for once - I'm currently saved just before Iris in the Opelucid City gym after having my ass repeatedly handed to me by Fraxure's and Druddigon's. This team hates Dragon types it seems despite being a pretty bulky team (as opposed to a speedy and aggressive squad). Twist Mountain was pretty easy to traverse in the snow, and Iccirus City was pretty uneventful all things considered, like there's no real story agency until you progress past the gym and unlike in previous cities where stuff happens before you go for the badge, nothing really occurs here. It was... not fun. The gym was even worse, even if the puzzle wasn't too terrible. Emboar one-shot everything with either Heat Crash or Hammer Arm, it was a joke.

Did the Dragonspiral Tower shenanigans which was also a bit of a slog (might be my mood, might be me being bored of the area, I dunno) but it happened, N got Reshiram and buggered off to the Pokemon League or something. I meanwhile had to head to Relic Castle for some reason, then fly to Nacrene City for the Dark Stone, then go BACK to Iccirus City to progress onwards? Ugh. Bianca was no hassle either except her Stoutland KOing my Duosion at +1 Attack with Crunch, otherwise Leavanny took over. Got to Opelucid, did some dialogue, cleared the route before Victory Road, took on the gym, had to heal after every battle because oh my god does Fraxure/Druddigon do a lot of damage. My team was fully evolved by then - I had absolute units in Krookodile, Jellicent and Reuniclus and we were getting bullied! Not fun at all.

At this point I've stopped rolling numbers and settled on my current team, which might explain my sudden feeling of boredom regarding this game (again, might be my mood - UK heatwave is murdering me and lethargy sucks a ton). Team is fine, although Krokorok was feeling a bit weak before it evolved (and still feels a bit weak really). Emboar has been doing super well since it evolved, Reuniclus feels almost broken with how much damage it's been doing, Jellicent has done pretty well (and learns Sludge Bomb, who knew?) and Archeops is genuinely broken when it one-shots things; when it doesn't it's quite depressing. Will be interesting to see how they do when I'm feeling better and we're up against the last leg of the game. Also starting to consider whether to take on the post-game or not - it would be good for transfers once I clear out my Gen 3/4 games, and beating Cynthia + Alder properly sounds dope. But yeah, also feels like a lot of effort, and I'd rather not leave it then come back later on since then it feels odd to me.

White Team:

[​IMG]Chonker the Emboar, Level 42 ()
    Return, Heat Crash, Hammer Arm, Rock Slide

[​IMG]Ruffian the Krookodile, Level 42 ()
    Strength, Crunch, Dig, Rock Slide

[​IMG]Beaky the Archeops, Level 42 ()
    Fly, Rock Slide, Dig, Crunch

[​IMG]Bubbles the Reuniclus, Level 42 ()
    Psychic, Hidden Power [Bug], Psyshock, Shadow Ball

[​IMG]Leafyboi the Leavanny, Level 43 ()
    Return, Leaf Blade, X Scissor, Shadow Claw

[​IMG]Pringles the Jellicent, Level 42 ()
    Shadow Ball, Surf, Blizzard, Sludge Bomb

Former & Unused Members:
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Ignition, Drummerdude and zolios like this.
  2. Ishiftyounot

Ishiftyounot Master Procrastinator

Iris was not as tough as I thought, suggesting that my prior difficulties with the gym were related to my mood more than the game itself. Her Fraxure was 2HKOed by Reuniclus and its Psychic attack, whilst Jellicent two-shot her Druddigon with Blizzard (which did not miss). Haxorus was outsped by Archeops even at +2 and KOed with Rock Slide, which was a surprise given it was a level lower at the time. I continued on towards Victory Road and defeated Cheren whilst doing so. Victory Road was... not that fun. I guess it never is really? Didn't really feel like one final challenge before the Elite Four but that might be me wanting this over and done with. I got to the Pokemon League, grinded my team to level 47 and saved ready for the final few matches of the main story.

Grimsley was my first challenge, and a challenge he was not! Emboar took out Scrafty with a Flamethrower into a Hammer Arm whilst Leavanny 2HKOed Krookodile with X Scissor. Emboar returned to crush Liepard with Hammer Arm after it wasted turns with Fake Out and Attract, but both opponents had left Emboar weakened, and I forgot Bisharp knew Aerial Ace. Krookodile came out to avenge and did so with 2 Dig attacks.

Shauntal was my hardest challenge as my team does not handle the varied types of her Ghosts too well. Cofagrigus wasted a turn on Will 'o Wisp on Jellicent, who 2HKOed with Shadow Ball. Leavanny landed a critical hit Leaf Blade on her own Jellicent for an 0HKO, and then the trouble started. Chandelure left Krookodile on low health with Fire Blast, and Crunch failed to defeat it. She healed, I went for Crunch again and got burnt by Flame Body, which KOed Krookodile. Archeops then missed two Rock Slides in a row to be KOed by Shadow Ball - it had never missed the move prior to now, and it's known it for 15 levels! Emboar came in to win with its own Rock Slide instead. I kept my starter in to weaken Golurk with a Blaze-boosted Flamethrower, before Jellicent finished the match with Shadow Ball.

Caitlin was a joke - Reuniclus was beaten by Leavanny's X Scissor (I thought she led with Musharna), Sigilyph failed to 2HKO Jellicent with Shadow Ball but my spooky boi one-shot with the same move, and Krookodile got a Moxie boost from beating Gothitelle with Crunch to one-shot Musharna with the same move.

Marshal led with Throh when I thought he'd lead with Mienshao (it's actually his ace, which was odd since I thought Conkeldurr would be) - either way it one-shot with Fly. It did the same to his actual Mienshao, even outspeeding despite being 3 levels lower than it. Reuniclus 2HKOed Sawk with Shadow Ball into Psychic (to avoid Sturdy) but was outsped by Conkeldurr and KOed - Archeops one-shot it (as it tends to do).

I then witnessed the coolness which is the Plasma Castle coming up to wreck the Pokemon League (not sure how it happened without anyone noticing before now, but eh). In my long time away from Unova I also forgot the cool characters of Anthea and Concordia (N's mums I guess?) and the wicked music inside the building. I also didn't realise how word-for-word the Pokemon Generations episode was for the Gym Leaders vs. Seven Sages. That was funky. Not too big a fan of how evil Team Plasma started sounding in the castle though and all about their manipulations, like it feels very sudden I guess? Before they made a good point, but now in the castle it's just like "aha, we stole Pokemon to use for our goals!" which felt wrong. Except for that one guy who was given a Pokemon by N, they're fine. Don't get me wrong - they are bad, and did bad things, so we know they're bad. But their goals came very much out of the blue at this stage. Should also say that the Shadow Triad need to bugger off in this castle, their bits of dialogue are more annoying than interesting. N's room has very creepy music, but it's a very sad room I think.

The legendary cutscene is really cool though, big bad Zekrom coming to the rescue! Now I'm older the concept of being the hero of truth or ideals is so epic, like oh my god. No other legendary feels so perfect for the player character, I don't think, outside of maybe Nebby (which really Lillie should've kept) and the Swsh legendary wolf (which felt less fleshed out over time, since you weren't necessarily battling for a concept and more just against a big bad). Again, love the music. Caught it in two Ultra Balls. I placed Reuniclus in the PC since it wasn't very helpful against the next two opponents, and it didn't do so well against the Elite 4. Legend the Zekrom joins the party to kick N's ass once and for all!

Zekrom vs. Reshiram, the big battle! Zekrom paralysed Reshiram with Dragon Breath, weakened it with Fusion Bolt and then KOed with another Dragon Breath after surviving a Hyper Beam. Emboar beat Vanilluxe with Hammer Arm after it set up hail, which worked against N with Carracosta later on - Leavanny brought it to Sturdy range with Leaf Blade but was destroyed by Stone Edge, but the hail made it a double-down. Krookodile was 2HKOed by Archeops, whose Acrobatics proved too strong for my croc. Jellicent 2HKOed with Surf after N healed it. I brought out my trusty starter again to Hammer Arm the hell out of Klinklang, who went for Metal Sound into Hyper Beam (it very nearly KOed). Fearing Emboar would be defeated by Zoroark, I used Archeops against it... and it lost. Focus Blast did not miss and 2HKOed, so Jellicent was sacrificed to heal up my pig. Emboar then Hammer Arm'd the Zoroark for the win.

Turns out Ghetsis is a douche, what a surprise. I mean I get he slipped up a fair bit, so him being evil isn't out of the blue but my points above still stand! Funny how he thinks taking on the dude with the legendary was a smart idea. His theme slaps as well, like my god.

Zekrom lost to Cofagrigus, making everything I just said obsolete. Toxic + Protect + Full Restore tactics, who'd guess that was going to win? Fusion Bolt was never quite the 2HKO I needed it to be. Jellicent won instead though with Shadow Ball. Emboar smacked Bouffalant with Hammer Arm but failed to KO... but the recoil from Head Charge (which left my starter on 6HP) sorted that for me. Leavanny cleaves Seismitoad in two with a super effective Leaf Blade, and I decide to try my luck versus Hydreigon. Big mistake, the dragon one-shots with Fire Blast. I sacrifice Jellicent to heal Emboar but decide to Blizzard first since it'll live a Dragon Pulse (no Dark moves on Hydreigon) - Blizzard misses, for the first time this playthrough. Emboar is brought to the red by Surf and Hammer Arm does not KO. A second Surf KOes it back. Archeops is OUTSPED AND KOed by Surf, so Krookodile is sacrificed for Emboar again to win with Hammer Arm. Emboar is sac'd for Krookodile to be healed against Eelektross, who 3HKOes with Crunch. Emboar is then healed again to one-shot Bisharp with Hammer Arm, and I have beaten the main story of Pokemon White! What do I do now? The postgame makes sense - can clear the last few routes, beat up Cynthia, Cheren and Bianca one last time and then crush the Elite 4 and Alder once and for all (for the first time ever for me). Or I can play something else. Choices choices.

White Final Team:
    [​IMG]Chonker the Emboar, Level 51 ()
    Wild Charge, Heat Crash, Hammer Arm, Rock Slide
    Conclusion: Emboar is pretty damn good, probably the best starter in Unova (maybe Samurott clinches it, I dunno). Fighting STAB is so gosh-darn good and it had a good moveset from the beginning really. It came in clutch when in the most important battles (especially against Ghetsis) and was pretty tanky. My only complaints are it was too slow, I regret teaching it Flamethrower over Heat Crash and I wish it got a better Fighting STAB. Other than that, a solid starter.

[​IMG]Ruffian the Krookodile, Level 48 ()
    Strength, Crunch, Dig, Rock Slide
    Conclusion: I have mixed views on Krookodile. As a Sandile and Krokorok it was really good, since Ground was a good typing around the mid-game and Dark is pretty much always good and it got good mid-game moves. It evolved into a Krookodile and just felt kind-of average? It never quite hit hard enough unless it had Moxie, it was fast but not fast enough for the battles I needed it to be and by the time it had evolved its typing became a burden weakness-wise. Plus it felt overshadowed by Archeops who had the same 3 major moves on what felt like better attack and definitely better speed. It was good, but I wouldn't use it again in a hurry.

[​IMG]Beaky the Archeops, Level 48 ()
    Fly, Rock Slide, Dig, Crunch
    Conclusion: This thing is godly, and I knew it would be. It's so fast, and it hits so hard! And it learns good moves? Perfection (if we ignore the ability). Even as an Archen it felt perfectly good to use and my only major complaint is the ability and maybe lacking some stronger moves (Earthquake is where?) plus the utility of Fly versus the power of Acrobatics was a toughie! But I use items a lot for levelling so the utility won out. Still, this thing was super good and a great first showing for me using fossil Pokemon, excellent stuff.

[​IMG]Bubbles the Reuniclus, Level 48 ()
    Psychic, Hidden Power [Bug], Psyshock, Shadow Ball
    Conclusion: This thing is a bit like Krookodile, except slightly better. It's been extremely powerful ever since it learnt a STAB move assuming you don't place this Psychic boi up against a Dark or Steel type, but as a Reuniclus the speed has become a greater issue. I guess I just prefer fast heavy-hitters versus slow ones? If I'd caught a Sigilyph perhaps things would be different. Still! I loved my blob even if it wasn't that helpful versus the final battles of the game. Psychic spam is really really good and it had solid enough coverage. Just wish it was faster.

[​IMG]Leafyboi the Leavanny, Level 48 ()
    Return, Leaf Blade, X Scissor, Shadow Claw
    Conclusion: Now this one was a surprise! Leavanny tends to stop feeling as useful past Clay for me, but I kept it around this time around and I am very glad I did! It hits pretty damn hard thanks to reliable STAB options and Return, was reasonably fast and its typing was actually really useful throughout the game? Excellent stuff, recommend using Leavanny if you need a Grass type in Unova - it won't let you down (even if Rock moves mess it up).

[​IMG]Pringles the Jellicent, Level 49 ()
    Shadow Ball, Surf, Blizzard, Sludge Bomb
    Conclusion: Another surprise, this late addition to the squad was pretty easy to level up and learnt some solid moves pretty quickly! Jellicent hit hard and could take a hit with ease, dishing out good damage with some solid coverage. I wish I had Ice Beam earlier (or at all) but the other 3 moves made up for it. Ghost and Water were great types to use and just reinforces that we should all have a Water type on our team in any given game (Ghost is debatable, but much appreciated). I liked it, didn't let me down in the end-game. Wish I caught it earlier.

Former & Unused Members:
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

RedBlastoise and Drummerdude like this.
  3. JourneymanN00b

JourneymanN00b Active Member

Hello everyone. This is a roguelike addict who is taking a very unique approach to playing a main Generation V game for the first time. I previously played parts Red/Blue/Yellow as an elementary school student around 1999, but never completely finished a game until 2010 due to my stupidity, the games accidentally getting deleted, and real life/homework forcing a near-decade hiatus. I was able to fully finish Gold in the summer of 2010, but never progressed further than that due to preparing for college and not having enough time for video games. Now that the pandemic is freeing up time to reconsider these games, I decided to continue my Pokémon explorations. Just several weeks ago, I managed to complete Sapphire as a Lithium Rogue to make the experience memorable and relatively quick. I then completed Diamond as a Lithium Rogue shortly thereafter. I learned a lot of skills when doing the Lithium Rogue challenge in Sapphire and Diamond, and I will be trying to play the character as a Lithium Rogue in Black. What is a Lithium Rogue, and what does it entail, you ask? Well, it is a player that attempts to beat the Elite Four and Ghetsis by adhering to the below set of rules:

1. Lithium is the simplest possible metal. As such, the Lithium Rogue will be taking the most direct possible path towards beating the Elite Four. No locations outside this direct route to victory can be visited. No optional sidequests can be undertaken, either.

2. In a roguelike, the player gets only one life. If the player dies, a new game must be started from the beginning. As such, if the Lithium Rogue gets a black out, the run is over, and a fresh game must be started to begin the adventure anew. However, any fainted Pokémon is allowed to be revived using a Pokémon Center or appropriate items, provided that at least one Pokémon is still in active condition.

3. Zero grinding is allowed. This is one of the golden rules of a Lithium Rogue. The Lithium Rogue is expected to advance through the game as quickly as possible and not waste time training Pokémon like lesser mortals with infinite time. The Lithium Rogue is also expected to use whatever resources that are on hand to overcome any obstacles that may be encountered from following this simple approach.

4. No backtracking is permitted. Unless it is to advance the story, an area can only be visited once. The Lithium Rogue is not permitted to go back to an area to catch a desired Pokémon or to return to a town to heal up in a Pokémon center.

5. Any trainers that are not necessary to fight to move to the next area must be avoided, if possible. However, it is understood that mistakes can be made, especially with those involving “spinners”, and the Lithium Rogue will occasionally be forced to fight these trainers in order to advance. As such, any run-in fights with “unnecessary” trainers may be utilized to provide the Lithium Rogue’s Pokémon with additional experience.

6. The Lithium Rogue is permitted to pick up items, but is strongly encouraged to only pick up those that would be typically picked up in typical speedruns. Like trainers in the previous rule, additional items may be picked up and utilized if doing so would not add unreasonable time to the Lithium Rogue’s journey.

7. Any time spent on wild grass must be kept to a minimum. Any Pokémon encountered in these areas can be battled and caught to suit the Lithium Rogue’s needs. The Lithium Rogue is not playing a Nuzlocke challenge, so there are no Pokémon catching limits.

8. No manipulations are allowed to be used here. The Lithium Rogue has no knowledge of such acts of cheating, and utilizing them ruins the spirit of this adventure. Any disadvantages from not utilizing these manipulations may be made up by fighting additional trainers or picking up additional items, as needed.

From what I have heard about Black and White, doing this should be a perfectly achievable challenge, given the proper application of common sense, decent luck, and adherence to appropriate guides when suitable. Now that the ground rules have been set, I will be starting a run that adheres to all of the above rules, which will be reported by parts divided by gyms. So the goal of the first part is to clear the first gym and get the Trio Badge.

Part 1 Plan:

Nuvema Town, Route 1:

Choose Snivy, and battle Bianca. Tackle spam her Oshawott. Then battle Cheren. Use Leer and Tackle three times on Cheren’s Tepig. Go downstairs, get the XTransceiver, and leave. Go to Bianca's house, and then go to the Professor's house. After saying yes to all her questions, head to Route 1. Partake in the tutorial and walk north to Bianca. After saying yes to her question, head to Accumula Town.

Accumula Town:

Buy 5 Potions, and head left. Battle N, and use Leer against his Purrloin. Then Tackle Spam his Purrloin. Go to Route 2, and get the Running Shoes. Pick up the Poke Ball and 2 Potions. If a Lillipup is not encountered in the grass after getting the items, then restart the game and consider another route. Otherwise, keep throwing Poke Balls at the Lillipup to catch it. Put the Lillipup in the first slot. Fight Youngster Jimmy, and use Tackle at least 3 times against his Patrat. Fight Bianca again, and use Leer and Tackle against her Lillipup. Then use Tackle at least 2 times against her Oshawott. Enter Striaton City.

Striaton City:

Heal at the Pokemon Center, then battle Cheren again. Use Tackle and then a Leer on Cheren’s Tepig, and then keep using Tackle to finish it off. Then use Tackle at least twice to finish Purrloin off. After getting the Full Heal when answering the questions, and healing back at the Pokémon Center, enter the gym. Fight Waiter Maxwell, and use Bite twice and then a Tackle on his Lillipup. Battle Waitress Tia and Tackle her Patrat twice. Forget learning Helping Hand if Lillipup reaches level 12. Tackle her Purrloin twice. Start Chili battle. Use Leer, Bite, then Tackle against his Lillipup. Then use Leer and Tackle twice against his Pansear. Get the Trio Badge.

I hope that there are no flaws with this first part of the game plan to complete the challenge. I can always adjust the above rules to make things more challenging/reasonable. To those that are interested in seeing this type of challenge unfold, feel free to vote on the gender and name of the first Lithium Rogue that will operate in Black. I will come back to this thread after a couple of days, read any replies, and begin the first run.

4. JourneymanN00b

Okay, so I begin the first part with a male trainer named Harry, and quickly find that the plan was a disaster, since no Lillipup was encountered in Route 2. Below is how the failed attempt went.

The Lithium Rogue’s Journey Attempt #1: Harry

Part 1-1:

I begin choosing Snivy and battling Bianca. I then Tackle spam her Oshawott, who manages to put Snivy to 6 HP due to a critical hit Tackle. However, I manage to win the battle against Bianca and proceed to battle Cheren. I use Leer and then Tackle three times on Cheren’s Tepig to win the battle. I go downstairs, get the XTransceiver, and leave. I then head to Bianca's house, and then go to the Professor's house. After saying no to giving my Snivy a nickname, and yes to the Professor’s other question, I get a Town Map and head to Route 1. I partake in the tutorial, get 5 Poke Balls, and walk north to Bianca. After saying yes to her question, I head to Accumula Town.

I buy 5 Potions, and head left. I then battle N, and use Leer against his Purrloin, and proceed to Tackle his Purrloin twice, one of which turned out to be a critical hit. My Snivy also learns Vine Whip in the process. After healing at the Pokémon Center, I go to Route 2, and get the Running Shoes. I get a Potion, and encounter and run from a Patrat. I then fight Younger Jimmy, and use Vine Whip and then Tackle twice to take out his Patrat. I then encounter and run from a Patrat, and pick up the Poke Ball and Potion. So this run was unfortunately a failure and I am thus forced to reset and devise an alternative plan.

So below is the new plan that I am devising for this next run.

Part 1 Plan:

Nuvema Town, Route 1:

Choose Tepig, and battle Bianca. Tackle spam her Snivy. Then battle Cheren. Also Tackle spam his Oshawott. Go downstairs, get the XTransceiver, and leave. Go to Bianca's house, and then go to the Professor's house. After saying no to giving a nickname and yes to filling out the Pokedex, head to Route 1. If a Lillipup is encountered, keep throwing Poke Balls to catch it, and put the Lillipup in the first slot. KO any other encounters. Partake in the tutorial and walk north to Bianca. After saying yes to her question, head to Accumula Town.

Accumula Town, Route 2:

Buy 5 Potions, and head left. Battle N, switch to Tepig if a Lillipup was acquired, and use Tail Whip against his Purrloin. Then Tackle Spam his Purrloin. Go to Route 2, and get the Running Shoes. Pick up the Poke Ball and 2 Potions. If a Lillipup was not caught in Route 1 and one is encountered in the grass, catch it using the same tactic above. Fight Youngster Jimmy, and use Tackle at least 3 times against his Patrat using either the Lillipup, or use a Tackle and then 2 Embers using Tepig. Fight Bianca again. If a Lillipup was caught, have it use Leer and Tackle against her Lillipup. Then use Tackle at least 2 times against her Snivy. Otherwise, use Tepig to tackle her Lillipup twice, and then use Ember twice against her Snivy. Enter Striaton City.

Striaton City:

Heal at the Pokémon Center, get the Dusk Ball, then battle Cheren again if a Lillipup was acquired. Use Tackle and then a Leer on Cheren’s Oshawott, and then keep using Tackle to finish it off. Then use Tackle at least twice to finish Purrloin off. After getting the Full Heal when answering the questions, and healing back at the Pokémon Center, enter the gym. However, if a Lillipup was NOT acquired, then head to the Dreamyard. Fight Lass Eri and use Tackle twice each for her two Purrloins. If Tepig gets Growled, then use Ember. Fight Younger Joey, and use a Tackle and then an Ember for his two Patrats. Then use two Tackles and then an Ember for his Lillipup. Get Pansage, return to Striaton City, and then heal at the Pokemon Center. Then fight Cheren, where a Tackle, Tail Whip, and then a Tackle should be used against his Oshawott. Then use Tackle twice against his Purrloin, replacing the second Tackle with an Ember if Tepig gets Growled. Enter the gym, and fight Waiter Maxwell. Lillipup should use Bite twice and then a Tackle on his Lillipup, while Tepig should use a Tail Whip, two Tackles, and then an Ember on his Lillipup. If a Tepig is still used, give up on learning Defense Curl upon reaching level 13. Battle Waitress Tia and Tackle her Patrat twice, using a Tail Whip first if a Tepig is used. Lillipup should forget about learning Helping Hand if it reaches level 12. Tackle her Purrloin twice with either Tepig of Lillipup. Start Cress battle. Use Leer, Bite, then Tackle against his Lillipup if Lillipup is used. If a Tepig is used, then use Tail Whip, Tackle twice, and then an Ember on his Lillipup. Then use Leer and Tackle twice against his Pansear if a Lillipup is used. If no Lillipup is in possession, then switch to Pansage, and then use Leer and then Vine Whip three times against his Panpour. Get the Trio Badge.

To the few people who are interested in seeing this type of challenge unfold, feel free to vote on the gender and name of the second Lithium Rogue that will operate in Black. I will come back to this thread tomorrow, read any replies, and begin the second run.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2020 at 5:03 AM
  5. JourneymanN00b

Okay, so I begin the first part of the new run with a female trainer named Misty (although there is certainly no emphasis on Water Pokémon at all in this challenge), and get MASSIVELY screwed in the Gym Leader Battle due to my caught Lillipup fainting too many times along the way.

The Lithium Rogue’s Journey Attempt #2: Misty

Part 2-1:

I start off by choosing Tepig, and battling Bianca. I Tackle her Snivy 4 times to win the battle. I then battle Cheren, and Tackle his Oshawott 4 times to also win that battle. I go downstairs, get the XTransceiver, and leave. I go to Bianca's house, and then go to the Professor's house. After saying no to giving a nickname and yes to filling out the Pokedex, I get the Pokedex, the Town Map, and head to Route 1. I partake in the tutorial, get 5 Poke Balls, and head to Bianca. I encounter a level 2 Lillipup, and catch it using only one Poke Ball. After reaching Bianca, and saying yes to her question, I then head to Accumula Town.

I buy 5 Potions, and head left. I battle N, switch to Tepig, and use Tail Whip against his Purrloin. I then Tackle spam his Purrloin to win the battle. Tepig learns Ember as a result of the victory. After healing at the Pokémon Center, I go to Route 2, and get the Running Shoes. I encounter and KO a Lillipup, where my Lillipup learns Odor Sleuth as a result of winning the battle. I pick up the Potion, and catch a Patrat after Tackling it once, which turned out to be a critical hit. I then fight Youngster Jimmy, and use Tackle at 3 times against his Patrat. Unfortunately, my Lillipup faints from Patrat’s Tackle and Bite and I am forced to continue the battle with Tepig, who finishes the battle with a Tackle. I pick up the Poke Ball and the second Potion, cursing at my rotten luck and stupidity. I encounter and run from a Lillipup in the process. I fight Bianca again with Tepig, and have it use Ember three times against her Lillipup. I then use Ember 2 times against her Snivy and enter Striaton City.

Cursing at my luck, I heal at the Pokémon Center, get the Dusk Ball, and then battle Cheren again. I use Tackle and then a Leer on Cheren’s Oshawott, and my Lillipup faints AGAIN from a well placed Tackle. Cursing at the top of my mouth, I switch to Tepig and use Tackle twice to finish it off. I then use Tackle and then a Potion to heal up after taking 2 Critical Hit Scratches from his Purrloin. I then use Tackle twice to finish Purrloin off. After getting the 3 Oran Berries and the Full Heal when answering the boy’s questions, and healing back at the Pokémon Center, I enter the gym and get a Fresh Water. I fight Waiter Maxwell, and switch to Tepig since Lillipup fainted too many times for it to be useful. I use Ember twice, and Tackle twice before using another Potion to heal Tepig up. Unfortunately, that was not enough to save Tepig, who falls victim to a Critical Hit Bite. I switch to Lillipup, who luckily survives the Bite and delivers a Tackle to finish it off. Lillipup learns Bite and goes all the way to level 9 from the near-death Experience. I use a Potion to heal Lillipup, and battle Waitress Tia. I tackle her Patrat three times, and Tackle her Purrloin twice. I use another Potion on my Lillipup, give it an Oran Berry to hold, and start the Cress battle. I use Leer, Bite, and then attempt to use Tackle against his Lillipup, only for Cress’ Lillipup to flinch when facing his Bite. My Lillipup faints on his Lillipup’s next Bite, and my Patrat falls to a single bite. Truly a terrible and embarrassing loss.

So I will start another Lithium Rogue run based on the previous plan, as I think a lot of the failure was due to very bad luck and poor judgment on my part on when to heal up. The only exception that I will make is to catch the first Patrat or Purrloin that I encounter along the way as an HM slave if I should also successfully catch and find a Lillipup.

To the few interested people, feel free to vote on the gender and name of the third Lithium Rogue that will operate in Black. I will come back to this thread tomorrow, read any replies, and begin the third run.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2020 at 10:16 PM
    RedBlastoise likes this.
  6. Drummerdude

Drummerdude Well-Known Member

I saw Ishiftyounot was playing White and decided to start a new game on Black but started just a bit too late to play along. Due to my own laziness I never bothered posting about it but since COVID hit a few people at the office they have everyone working from home for a few weeks which meant I could play while I worked. So yeah I beat Ghetsis earlier today.

N was tough. I led with Emboar against his Zekrom because I didn't really have anything that was super effective against N's Electric/Dragon Pokemon. Unfortunately Brick Break didn't do much against it and Fusion Bolt is a very strong attack. Bouffalant's Head Charge did decent damage but like Emboar also fell to Fusion Bolt. Scolipede was fast enough to finish it off with Poison Jab. I kinda regretted not using Reshiram. N sent out Klinklang and I assumed it would be Zoroark because obviously N would send out a Dark type against my Bug type. I was wrong. X Scissor barely did anything and Thunderbolt took out Scolipede. I sacrificed Swoobat to revive Emboar and had Emboar take down Klinklang with Flamethrower. Eelektross brought down Archeops with a single Thunderbolt. Emboar defeated Zoroark, Eelektross zapped Carracosta and Emboar returned to finish off Vanilluxe.

Since you have no choice Emboar led off against Ghetsis and his Cofagrigus. It used Toxic and spammed Protect but fortunately it only took two Flamethrower's to knock it out once Protect didn't work. Ghetsis went to his Bouffalant which almost fell to a single Brick Break but Emboar's poison proved to much too handle. I wanted Swoobat to do something but Psychic wasn't enough for a healed Bouffalant and Swoobat was knocked out by Wild Charge. My own Bouffalant came in and finished off his with Head Charge. Then Ghetsis went to Hydreigon.....and it outsped Scolipede. Not awesome. Bouffalant returned to the fight and won with two Megahorn attacks after Focus Blast missed luckily. I sacrificed Bouffalant against Seismitoad but Head Charge did enough so that Carracosta could finish it off with Surf. Carracosta's Surf (powered up by Rain Dance thanks to Seismitoad) was also what beat Bisharp and the final battle was against both of our Eelektross with mine prevailing thanks to a critical hit Crunch. Ghetsis was taken away and N flew off into the sunset. Fin.

[​IMG] Ganonborf, Lv53
    - A staple of my Gen 5 playthroughs and my favorite Unova starter. I prefer when starters are dual typed and Fire/Fighting is really strong in this game...especially against N. Honestly Emboar may be my favorite of the three Fire/Fighting types. Too cool.
    [​IMG] Barbara, Lv49
    - When I start new games I always try to use at least one or two Pokemon I have never used before. Swoobat was something I had never used throughout an entire run. Sometimes weaker Pokemon surprise me and end up being fun to use like a Delcatty I used in Emerald. Swoobat was not one of thos surprises. Right when it evolved it was decent but near the end every attack against her was a OHKO and her own super effective attacks didn't do enough damage. I thinking Swoobat will be a one time use only.
    [​IMG] Wiggler, Lv51
    - It had been a long time since I used a Scolipede and I was really excited to use it. Scolipede was weird because right when it evolved it was alright and then around badge 7 it became really good and was huge in helping me defeat the trainers in Drayden's gym. And then like Swoobat it fell off at the end. I'm still stunned that Hydreigon outsped it.
    [​IMG] Cap'n Jack, Lv51
    - Always a solid choice. I'm not really sure if Solid Rock was the right choice over Sturdy as far as abilities go but thank goodness I gave this thing a Quick Claw or otherwise it would not have worked out as well as it did.
    [​IMG] Ordeel, Lv52
    - I like Eelektross. Levitate is great for it and both attacking stats are good. Hits hard and was surprisingly tanky. Took me forever to find the Emolga that I used it's Static ability to make finding Tynamo easier though. Just saying Tynamo has brought back the memories of trying to train it!
    [​IMG] Bouffalant, Lv53 (Oh god I just realized I never gave it a nickname!!)
    - Bouffalant, like Swoobat, was one I had never used before because of how late you catch it. I would say overall I was whelmed using it. It wasn't terribly strong but also wasn't weak. So yeah I was whelmed. And then the Elite 4 happened. This thing tanked so many hits and somehow actually defeated two of Marshall's fighting types. Definitely the MVP once I reached the Elite 4. I'm glad I used it.

I may start up a White 2 challenge run and see how far I get before I have to return to work. We shall see.

Ishiftyounot and SubtleVVeirdoh like this.
  7. JourneymanN00b

I begin the first part of the third run with a male trainer named Perry, and managed to complete the first part this time with some mildly tense moments.

The Lithium Rogue’s Journey Attempt #3: Perry

Part 3-1:

Once again, I start off by choosing Tepig and battling Bianca. I Tackle her Snivy 5 times and win the battle. I then battle Cheren and Tackle his Oshawott 4 times to win that battle as well. I go downstairs, get the XTransceiver, and leave. I go to Bianca's house, and then go to the Professor's house. After saying no to giving a nickname and yes to filling out the Pokedex, I get the Pokedex and the Town Map, and head to Route 1. I partake in the tutorial, get 5 Poke Balls, and walk north to Bianca. Along the way, I encounter and catch a level 3 Lillipup after using 2 Poke Balls to do so, and switch it to the front. After saying yes to Bianca’s question, I head to Accumula Town.

I buy 5 Potions, and head left. I battle N, switch to Tepig, and use Tail Whip against his Purrloin. I then Tackle his Purrloin 3 times, the second which ended up being a critical hit. Tepig learns Ember, and Lillipup learns Odor Sleuth from that battle. After healing at the Pokémon center, I go to Route 2, and get the Running Shoes. I encounter a Purrloin, Tackle it once with Lillipup, and catch it using one Poke Ball. I then get the Potion, and fight Youngster Jimmy, where I use a single Tackle and heal Lillipup with a Potion. I then Tackle his Patrat 3 times to KO it. I then encounter and KO a Patrat, and my Lillipup learns Bite in the process. I then get the second Potion and the Poke Ball, use a Potion and fight Youngster Roland. I use Bite three times to take out his Lillipup. I then fight Bianca again, and use Leer and then Tackle against her Lillipup. I then use Tackle twice against her Snivy to win the battle, and enter Striaton City.

I heal at the Pokémon Center, get the Dusk Ball, and then battle Cheren again. I use a Tackle and then a Leer on Cheren’s Oshawott, and use Tackle to finish it off. I then use Tackle twice to KO Purrloin. After getting the 3 Oran Berries from Cheren and the Full Heal after answering the boy’s questions, I heal at the Pokémon Center, then enter the gym. I get a Fresh Water, and fight Waiter Maxwell. I use Bite twice and then a Tackle on his Lillipup. I then battle Waitress Tia and Tackle her Patrat twice, with one of them being a critical hit. I forego having Lillipup learning Helping Hand in the process. I then tackle her Purrloin twice to win the battle. After using a Potion on Lillipup and equipping it with an Oran Berry, I begin the battle with Leader Cress. I use Leer, Bite, then Tackle against his Lillipup. I use Leer and then Tackle four times against his Panpour to knock it out, who manages to take my Lillipup down to 2 HP with 2 Worked Up Water Guns and trigger an Oran Berry consumption in the process. I get the Trio Badge and TM83.

So below is my plan to finish the second part and get the Basic Badge:

Part 2 Plan:

Striaton City, Dreamyard:

Meet Fennel, and get HM01. Teach Cut to Purrloin, and teach Work Up to Lillipup over Leer. Heal at the Pokémon Center, get X Speed, and head to the Dreamyard. Fight Lass Eri, and use a Tackle each on both of her Purrloins. Battle the first Team Plasma Grunt, and use Bite twice on the first Team Plasma Grunt’s Patrat. Then fight the second Team Plasma Grunt, and use Tackle twice on the Second Team Plasma Grunt’s Purrloin. Return to Striaton City, go to Fennel’s Lab, and talk to Fennel. Say “No” to turning C-Gear on and “Yes” to learning more, and heal at the Pokémon Center. Buy 8 Super Potion and 4 Antidote. Head to Route 3.

Route 3:

Fight Twins Kumi and Amy. Tackle the Purrloin on the right with both Lillipup and Tepig. Repeat the two Tackles on the right Purrloin if needed, or the left Purrloin if the right Purrloin is KO’d. Teach Take Down over Odor Sleuth when Lillipup reaches level 15. Use Take Down to finish off the left Purrloin, while the other Pokémon should heal Lillipup with Potions. Head to the daycare to heal up, and fight Cheren, and use Work Up and then a Take Down against his Oshawott. Then use Tackle on his Purrloin. Head to Wellspring Cave, talk to Cheren, and say yes to his question.

Wellspring Cave, Route 3:

On the first Woobat encountered, use a Tackle and then the Dusk Ball. Battle the first Team Plasma Grunt, and use Take Down against the Plasma Grunt’s Patrat. Then fight the two Team Plasma Grunts, and use Tackle on the left Patrat, and Take Down on the right Patrat. Exit the cave, get the 3 Heal Balls, and get the Hidden Rare Candy. If a Woobat was not caught, then use a Tackle and then the Dusk Ball on the first Pidove encountered. Head to Nacrene City.

Nacrene City:

Enter Pokémon Center, heal up and put Woobat/Pidove in the second slot. Enter Battle Item Store, and buy 3 X Speed, 1 X Attack, and 3 Guard Spec. Talk to Cheren to get 3 Chesto Berries, and get the hidden Revive. Enter Museum and battle N. Use Take Down on his Pidove. Use Work Up, and then a Take Down on his Timburr, and finish the battle by using Tackle on his Tympole. Heal Herdier, and enter the gym. Battle School Kid Carter, and use Take Down on his Patrat. Fight Scientist Satomi, and use Work Up, Take Down, Tackle, and then a Bite if necessary on Satomi’s Herdier. Face School Kid Lydia, and use Work Up. Then use a Tackle each of her three Lillipups. Heal Herdier and equip a Chesto Berry, and then put Woobat/Pidove to the front slot. Face Lenora, use Guard Spec, Work Up, then two Tackles against Lenora’s Herdier. When facing against her Watchog, use a Super Potion on Herdier to survive Retaliate, then use Tackle twice to knock it out. Use an X Speed if Herdier gets hit by Hypnosis. Get the Basic Badge and TM67.

I might have some tense moments here, but I feel that I will be able to manage this part without too much problems. My Pokémon consist of a level 14 Lillipup, level 7 Tepig, and level 5 Purrloin. I will begin the next part and have a report within several days.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2020 at 10:03 PM
  8. Drummerdude

Drummerdude Well-Known Member

White 2 Challenge Mode let's go! Because it's Challenge Mode it only seemed fair to pick Snivy as my starter. We made it through the beginning with no real problems and I caught a Mareep in Floccessy Ranch to have some help against Cheren. Turns out that was not enough. Snivy took care of his Patrat and Lillipup well enough but that stupid Pidove and it's stupid critical hits. So I lost. I'm pretty sure I lost to him the last time I did Challenge Mode because of his stupid Pidove's stupid critical hits also. I trained Snivy and Mareep in Floccessy Ranch and tried once more this time prevailing with ease since Mareep got a critical hit Thundershock on Pidove. In your face Cheren!

With my first badge finally in possession I headed east to Virbank City and immediately headed into the Virbank Complex to catch my second team member, a Koffing! But I tried catching it in the double grass and it teamed up with a Magnemite that kept confusing me and my team ended up fainting which put me back in Aspertia City. I ran back and tried once again and this time successfully caught a Koffing. I trained it against the trainers in the complex as well as a few Audino and headed to the Virbank Gym. Honestly I thought this would be a little more rough than it ended up being. Servine actually defeated Roxie's Koffing somehow but was defeated by her Grimer so my Koffing had to step in and finish the job. I had Mareep go in and paralyze Whirlipede so that Koffing could use Tackle/Assurance to finish the fight. Then I made a movie. Yay.

After dealing with Team Plasma I rode a boat to Castelia City, healed up, and headed north to Route 4 where I caught my third team member, a Scraggy! I then spent a decent amount of time exploring the city/sewers in an attempt to level up my new team member and once I had progressed through the story enough I headed to the Castelia Gym. Koffing once again got its chance to shine and after riding the.....cocoon webs.....strands (?) all the way to the top I challenged Burgh. Servine's Leaf Tornado was enough to take down Dwebble after a few turns and Burgh immediately went to Leavanny. Obviously I used Koffing who managed to poison Leavanny with Sludge which meant Venoshock the next turn could finish it off. I tried out Scraggy and Servine against his Karrablast and Shelmet but neither were much help so Koffing had to finish them off as well.

I once again headed to Route 4 where I battled Colress after he moved some Crustle. Once he left I made haste to Nimbasa City and headed straight to Route 5 so Bianca could tell me about Hidden Grotto's. She heard one and I followed her into one where a Minccino was waiting for us. I caught it and added it to the team! I ran back to Route 4 and the Desert Resort to train everyone for the upcoming fight against Elesa. I can't say I'm looking forward to it...

[​IMG] Groff, Lv27
    [​IMG] COVID-2020, Lv27
    [​IMG] Vitamin-Z, Lv26
    [​IMG] Marshall, Lv26