• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

5th Gen Sandstorm RMT

Digital Love

Jew 'Fro's Graduate
yeah im back

I assume 95% of 5th Gen CRMT wasn't here when I left, so it's whatever. To the 5% that was here and does remember me hi.

Smogon banned my BrightPowder Cacturne, so I decided to revamp my old Sandstorm team for 5th Gen. Go easy on me TT-TT :501:

credit to arkeis for sprites

TEAM PREVIEW:
248.gif
121.gif
212.gif
227.gif
094.gif
645.gif

My old Sandstorm team worked extremely well. It took prediction to master but I was rewarded it a high W/L ratio. As stated before, Brightpowder was banned by Smogon, so my Cacturne build no longer works effectively (to anyone who may vaguely remember, I'm the only person who thinks Cacturne is viable) so i decided to revamp my whole team instead of just replacing Cacturne. In Cacturne's stead I now have Landorus, who was originally going to be Excadrill, but Landorus fares better against fighting types. I also used to have a Togekiss (it sucked) so I threw that out and tossed on Gengar, to once again help against fighting types and to add a little more special attacking power to the team. Finally I had a Gliscor, but I swapped him out for Skarmory (though I might reintegrate Gliscor, we'll see). So here's the team.

IN DETAIL:

248.gif

Tyranitar @ Leftovers
Sand Stream
Sassy
252 HP, 252 SpD, 4 Def
-Pursuit
-Ice Beam
-Flamethrower
-Stealth Rock

After much discussion, I've decided to test this TTar over ResTalk TTar, will post the results in time

121.gif

Starmie @ Choice Specs
Natural Cure
Timid
252 SpA, 252 Spe, 4 HP
-Hydro Pump
-Ice Beam
-Thunderbolt
-Trick

This thing hits like a truck. I love Choice Specs Starmie, she's also lasted on my team ever since my first run, and she does work. I prefer the raw power of Hydro Pump over Surf, I have BoltBeam and Trick for special walls that give me issue. Obvious EV's are obvious.

212.gif

Scizor @ Choice Band
Technician
Adamant
252 Att, 252 Spe, 4 HP
-Bullet Punch
-U-Turn
-Superpower
-Quick Attack

Speaking of hitting like a truck, it's the last person who's carried over, good ol' Scizor. CB Scizor has gone down in popularity, for slightly bulkier Swords Dance variants it seems, but I still think CBZor is the best. Once again obvious EV's, standard moveset, nothing surprising.

227.gif

Skarmory @ Leftovers
Sturdy
Impish
252 HP, 240 Def, 16 Spe
-Brave Bird
-Roost
-Whirlwind
-Spikes

RIP Onix, swapped him out for Skarmory, thanks for the suggesting BH :). In essense does the same job (phazing in Sandstorm) has more recovery and isn't a bad Pokemon. Also checks Excadrill, Landorus and Scizor effectively

094.gif

Gengar @ Life Orb
Levitate
Timid
252 SpA, 252 Spe, 4 HP
-Shadow Ball
-Substitute
-Pain Split
-Focus Blast

I saw this set on Smogon, so I thought, "why not?" Helps with fighting types, good spinblocker and requires good prediction, which i like. Ghost/Fighting gets perfect coverage, and Substitute + Life Orb + Pain Split is a great combo for messing with common Gengar counters, such as Chansey, Snorlax and Blissey.

645.gif

Landorus @ Life Orb
Sand Force
Naive
252 Att, 252 Spe, 4 SpA
-Earthquake
-Stone Edge
-Hidden Power Ice
-Rock Polish

Another set copied right from Smogon, never used Landorus before, decided to give him a go. I originally had Excadrill, but I decided that Landorus would just fit my team better. He's EV's to hit as hard as possible, and do insane damage while he's alive.

And that's that. Don't have a threat list because they're pointless, so feel free to rate away. But please don't give me stupid rates (and I'll know what's stupid)

Off topic, I figure I'll start rating once again, seeing as how a lot of the "raters" here lack a lot of competitive knowledge. Let's clean this place up, kiddies!​

Last edited:
Great to have you back Digital Love!

Ok before I actually give you useful advice there is something you should know.. Blue Ace is not a good player and he never was. lol, in 4th gen he used 216 HP, Hidden Power Fire Swampert.. That's laughable. HP Fire 2HKOs Scizor, Earthquake can 2HKO after just 10% prior damage.

His EVs are also HORRIBLE. I'm not sure why in early D/P the regulars got this big idea that you should EV until you hit a Leftovers jump point, throw enough into defense to survive some random thing at full HP, then dump the rest in attack.. This doesn't make sense and it leaves your Pokemon more vulnerable to horrible death and with some extra attack that will never matter.

In short, that TTar is bad. Even in 4th gen Blue Ace didn't "invent" Rest/Talk TTar. I claim to be one of the first to use SubRoost Zapdos in D/P, but it doesn't mean I am the creator. The EVs and moveset also doesn't work. What does Brick Break do?? You can hit literally every single target Brick Break would hit harder just by running Fire Blast (well besides TTar who is just going to OHKO you with Superpower and Heatran who you beat regardless). Max HP and Special Defense as well. The Attack EVs do nothing, you still 3-4HKO Breloom, 2HKO other Tyranitar, 3HKO Heatran etc. Its a waste. Also because of the way sleep mechanics have changed every time Tyranitar switches out the sleep counter resets. So you Rest once, then will probably never wake up again.

Try this set instead.

Tyranitar @ Lum Berry
Sassy
252 HP / 252 Special Defense / 4 Defense

Pursuit
Ice Beam
Fire Blast
Stealth Rock / Superpower

Fire Blast OHKOs Breloom after Stealth Rocks or a turn of Sandstorm 100% of the time. Ice Beam OHKOs Salamence, Gliscor and Dragonite after Rocks as well. Pursuit is good for removing Latios who will at worst do 44% with Specs Surf. It also helps a great deal with winning weather wars against Ninetales, Abomasnow and Choiced Politoeds. Stealth Rocks is the better option on your team since you really should drop Onix for a Skarmory.

Also Onix is a bad Pokemon even with Evolite. Rhydon has better stats in every area and can copy his moveset completely (except for Sturdy). Rhyperior even takes hits better than that most of the time because of Solid Rock. However the defensive boost is pointless when you get hit Super Effective by literally every sweeper in the game. If you WANT a defensive Pokemon to abuse Sandstorm try Skarmory instead.

Skarmory @ Leftovers
Impish
252 HP / 240 Defense / 16 Speed

Spikes
Brave Bird
Roost
Whirlwind

This will check Excadrill, Landorus and Swords Dance Scizor, all of whom would otherwise wreck you given a chance to set up. Skarmory pairs EXTREMELY well with Specially Defensive Tyranitar and you will easily get Stealth Rocks and 1-2 layers of Spikes down most games.

Ferrothorn is everywhere, maybe run HP Fire on Starmie over Trick (possibly Life Orb > Choice Specs). If you run Pursuit on TTar drop Pursuit on Scizor for Quick Attack to help against Gyarados, Volcarona, Thunderus and Politoed. Also with Rotom no longer a Ghost type and everything running HP Fire for Ferrothorn Pursuit has far fewer targets now.

So...

Sp Def mixed Stealth Rocking TTar > Resttalk set
Skarmory > Onix
HP Fire > Trick on Starmie.. maybe LO > Specs as well to ease prediction
Quick Attack > Pursuit on Scizor

This would leave you defensively solid against most OU threats only really weak to something like Specs Politoed, Volcarona and Thundurus (who is as good as banned anyway). Tell me what you think of these changes and I'll add more later!

noob21

3 sum!!!
I think ( and I hate to sound noobish) but smogon made bright powder legal for 5th gen. Eneyway this is a great team but its mixed tier which because of that I dont know how many battles you will get because of that but still a great team I would replace gengar with skarm or reuniclus as magic gaurd with this poke serves great. Other than that happy sailing or sanding

Digital Love

Jew 'Fro's Graduate
Ok before I actually give you useful advice there is something you should know.. Blue Ace is not a good player and he never was. lol, in 4th gen he used 216 HP, Hidden Power Fire Swampert.. That's laughable. HP Fire 2HKOs Scizor, Earthquake can 2HKO after just 10% prior damage.

Haha i never said he was a good player, per se, but i did like his Tyranitar (which i know is CurseTar with Brick Break over Curse). Also i thought he was using Smogon EV's which were what I was going for when i wrote this rmt, changing those now.

I've just had so much success with this Tar that im hesitant to change it. Just from personal experince it works very effectively.

On the other side, I've always been one to use gimmicks (Cacturne) which is why i wanted to try out Onix. It's not going so hot, so I'll start playtesting that Skarm :)

I think for now I'm going to keep Trick on Starmie, because Superpower and Brick Break handle Ferrothorn just fine (but I'll try it out in testing). And I might as well use Quick Attack.

Thanks again for the rate :)

Last edited:

xtrashine

xtrashine
I see your a bit weak and I suggest you switch the tyranitar to what blue_harvest suggested its much better and can sometimes beat its counters

Digital Love

Jew 'Fro's Graduate
I see your a bit weak and I suggest you switch the tyranitar to what blue_harvest suggested its much better and can sometimes beat its counters

a bit weak to what?

EDIT: whatev I'll start playtesting that TTar, just to see how it fares

Last edited:
Rest Talk doesn't work this gen. No good player is going to sit there slapping you with Scarftran HP Grass or whatever, they're going to immediately switch to Conkledurr or Terrakion forcing you out as you Rest. Each time you are forced out the sleep counter resets, meaning you need to be on the field for a full three turns to wake up. This will not ever happen. And what are you even switching in on? Specs Latios has a good chance of beating you with rocks and those EVs, particularly if you're Resting. Starmie is going to 3HKO (and again, outlast you due to your crappy recovery). Calm Mind Virizion OHKOs. Volcarona OHKOs. Gengar beats you with Sub Pain Split or Disable (or just 2HKOs with Focus Blast). Rotom W 3HKOs with Hydro Pump, but can spam Pain Split until you're forced to Rest (so you can't just PP stall it). Reunicles OHKOs after Stealth Rocks (Crunch does 45.3% - 53.8% back lol). Specs Politoed 2HKOs with Hydro Pump or OHKOs in Rain. Thundurus OHKOs with +2 Focus Blast or just outright OHKO you after Stealth Rocks at +0. Hydreigon hits you with U-turn, Surf or Earth Power and will wear you down with repeated Draco Meteors. Once you Rest, its over. Sub Chandelure easily 2HKOs, or 3HKOs if it runs Leftovers (aka it rapes you more often than you beat it). Its Stealth Rock weak though so it will probably die after but its still going to ruin your Special Wall. Espeon just sets up dual screens and switches out. You will cap at 59% against it (aka it will set up screens then pass, then do it again later).

Just run the tank set. Rest/Talk is so bad this gen against most teams you will be starting the game with 5 and 1/2 Pokemon instead of 6.

Digital Love

Jew 'Fro's Graduate
though i don't neccessarily agree that Rest Talk doesn't work in 5th gen, I'll start playtesting BH's TTar. New sleep mechanics imo don't make much of a difference but that's just my opinion.

though i don't neccessarily agree that Rest Talk doesn't work in 5th gen, I'll start playtesting BH's TTar. New sleep mechanics imo don't make much of a difference but that's just my opinion.

BH's Tyranitar spread and moveset is much better, because with the prevalence of the new fighters this generation and things like Thundurus and Excadrill Tyranitar is going to be switching a lot, so it most likely will never wake up.

Your Gengar set is also outdated, what once worked in Gen 4 no longer fares too well in Gen 5. The Disable set is so much better it's not even funny, even if it is a bit weaker.

Gengar@Black Sludge
Timid | Levitate | 6 HP / 252 SpAtt / 252 Spe
Shadow Ball | Disable | Substitute | Focus Blast

This Gengar works so well because a lot of pokemon in Gen 5 usually only have one move that works on Ghosts, like CMReuniclus and Conkelldurr, so you Sub up on their attack and take it, then Disable the attack and now they can't touch you. This lets you Sub up again on their switch out and hit whatever they have.

For Scizor it's better to use 248 HP / 252 Att / 8 Spe, as you're going to want the extra bulk and the speed doesn't really help against much.

I'll do a better rate later, but I just wanted to help out a bit.

Also hi I remember you. :)

I still like Sub Pain Split lol. Disable is too predictable and the move is useless against some things. Sub Pain Split is annoying and hard to counter without running full stall.

Digital Love

Jew 'Fro's Graduate
I still like Sub Pain Split lol. Disable is too predictable and the move is useless against some things. Sub Pain Split is annoying and hard to counter without running full stall.

which is the reaosn i chose it over Sub Disable lol.

But I already said I was playtesting this new ttar, any other notes OTHER than tyranitar?

any other notes OTHER than tyranitar?

MORE ON TYRANITAR

If you want a bulky Resting Tyranitar, but one that isn't total garbage you can try Chesto Rest Tyranitar.

Tyranitar @ Chesto Berry
Careful / Sassy
252 HP / 252 Special Defense / 4 Defense

Rest
Stealth Rock
Crunch / Pursuit
Superpower / Fire Blast

Your current set is better but this Tyranitar has the bulk to last a full battle if you play it right. Chesto Rest gives it a "second life" so it can take on Latios and walk away with most of its health. Crunch is probably the better option since you need a reasonable attacking move and Pursuit only will really hit Latios who will often stay in anyway. Then again Pursuit can be used to wear down Politoed, Ninetales and Abomasnow. Superpower hits Tyranitar and many common switch ins hard but Fire Blast lets you beat Ferrothorn and keep Skarmory from walling you.

Anyhow weaknesses.. Not TOO many especially after the Onix and TTar changes.

A bit weak to Rotom Wash. Volt Change and Hydro Pump does a lot of damage to your team while you can't really hurt it much. It Pain Splits at low health and OHKOs Scizor with HP Fire, Burns it or just Volt Changes as you switch in.

Heatran could be a dick. Nothing takes a Fire Blast well and it has a lot of switch ins. Your Tyranitar LAUGHS at its hits but sadly it does even more so against you! Maybe try the Chesto Rest Ttar or just "deal with it" by predicting well and getting Landlos in on an Earth Power. Starmie can always revenge kill it.

Specs Politoed just craps on you. If one shots Starmie after Stealth Rocks with Hydro Pump and nothing else can take it well. Even with sand on your side your whole team is either 2HKOed or OHKOed.

Taunt Jellicent may give you some troubles. The few things on your team capable of walling it are hit super effective by Scald or are easily worn down.

Volcarona 6-0s regardless of its set and hidden Power, provided it at least runs its STAB moves.

Taunt Gyarados could be a problem though I'm not sure how common it is.

Specs, Scarf or worse, Sub Charge Magnezone are going to do a lot of damage to your team. You can more or less fix this immediately just by running Shed Shell on Skarmory and being aware of it when you see one in team preview.

You don't really have any good switch ins to Terrakion. Then again I don't think there really are many..

-- This might sound like a lot but you can fix most of these problems while gaining some offensive power by running Specs Latios over Gengar. Latios can switch safely in on every single Pokemon I mentioned except Volcarona and throw around Draco Meteors.

Latios @ Choice Specs
Timid
252 Speed / 252 Special Attack / 4 HP

Draco Meteor
Surf
Psycho Shock
Trick

Drop Trick on Starmie for HP Fire. Starmie doesn't care much about the speed point loss but Latios does. Starmie + Latios has STUNNING offensive coverage. Starmie can 2HKO Ferrothorn with HP Fire and can wear down Specially Defensive Jirachi. Latios 2HKOs Blissey and Jellicent with Psycho Shock.

Also try the Chesto Rest Tyranitar. It may work better than the fully mixed set I offered before.

Latios > Gengar

You would still be weak to Volcarona but not much more than the average team. You can handle it by laying Stealth Rocks early and doing 48.9% - 57.8% with Scizors Quick Attack (though Scizor may end up burned by Flame Body).