• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

5th Gen Shiny Discussion/FAQ Thread - Post once per page only!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Claus351

Shiny hunter :)
I would mm for a shiny eevee but the possiblities of it being female are below plausable. no offense needsalimegreenespeon xD maybe chaining in plat would be easier for that? I wish there was a way to ensure gender better.

TDawg

From what I understand, it only matters when RNGing. The closer together your Trainer ID and SID are, the sooner you get shiny frames. But it doesn't matter when playing normally as it's incredibly easy to skip frames by miles.

Anyway;
On my hunt, at about 515 scraggy. Don't update my sig til I release all my hatches. Want. Green. Scrafty. >_<

Not true. Certain IDs and SIDs create certain shiny spreads (Does not matter the range between them). But in 5th Gen the ID/SID combo became very useless (pretty much) because the way the RNG works this Gen that it's much easier to encounter a shiny. While speaking from a RNGers stand point there is really no point to SR or RNG for a ID/SID unless you want a certain ID like 00000.

dan2point5

Gonna give RE'ing a real good try from now on to see if I can have the patience to do it. I'm dual encountering on my White and Black on the double grass of route 3. I've done a combined total of 1,340 encounters today which I feel is a great start. Hoping for Patrat, Blitzle or Pidove but wouldn't be too fussed if it wasnt.

Congrats on all new shinies and good luck to everyone else.

DragonXmicro

何これ?かえったね。
I would mm for a shiny eevee but the possiblities of it being female are below plausable. no offense needsalimegreenespeon xD maybe chaining in plat would be easier for that? I wish there was a way to ensure gender better.

If chaining in pt, cute charm male clefable.

Alaka-zam

found my first ingame shiny last week, timid staryu, what are the odds
;120; ;383; ;245; ;130; these are my awesome shinys from trades and events

Neji-and-Pidgeot

Im at 305 eggs for sigilyph. Im hoping for an early shine. great job on staryu.

Zormon

I have never caught a shiny, except for the red Gyarados and a noctowl in the original Silver and only saw one shiny Khangaskhan (my favorite pokemon btw) in the safari zone and 3 rolls and it popped out an ran :(.

I am now trying the MM for a shiny Rufflet. I have hatched exactly 60 so far and am now done for the night. I will try for another 60 or so tomorrow :(.

How long does it take you guys, on average, for a shiny using the MM? I know the ratio/chances rate but I want to know about how long it takes you personally to get one on average.

Master Leo

The Dark Side
Not true. Certain IDs and SIDs create certain shiny spreads (Does not matter the range between them). But in 5th Gen the ID/SID combo became very useless (pretty much) because the way the RNG works this Gen that it's much easier to encounter a shiny. While speaking from a RNGers stand point there is really no point to SR or RNG for a ID/SID unless you want a certain ID like 00000.

okay, so its different in 5th gen, but when i asked this question before (dont know if i mentioned it) i was talking about older gens like LG. That gen is where i heard the most people talking about "good" and "bad" trainer IDs.

Dangertrout

I have never caught a shiny, except for the red Gyarados and a noctowl in the original Silver and only saw one shiny Khangaskhan (my favorite pokemon btw) in the safari zone and 3 rolls and it popped out an ran :(.

I am now trying the MM for a shiny Rufflet. I have hatched exactly 60 so far and am now done for the night. I will try for another 60 or so tomorrow :(.

How long does it take you guys, on average, for a shiny using the MM? I know the ratio/chances rate but I want to know about how long it takes you personally to get one on average.

it really depends... my caterpie was in the first hundred eggs of it's batch, and my piplup was in the first 30, but I've also had runs of 400+ with no shinies.
Right now I'm MMing a (hopefully modest female) bulbasaur. I'm only 30 eggs in, we'll see how it goes :p

yes!!! i have my blue flames Emboar and he looks AMAZING when he enters a battle, OMG it's breathtaking with his blue flames beard it looks kind of mythical
1328845767281.jpg
1328845856071.jpg

King91

I'm all fired up!
I don't know much about RNG'ing for shinies, isn't it pretty much cheating? That's what put me off looking into it. I'm on 357 eggs at the moment, trying for a shiny Reuniclus. Good luck to all with the shiny hunting!

EDIT: Well done Arckanhell, awesome.

dewey911p

primus inter pares
okay, so its different in 5th gen, but when i asked this question before (dont know if i mentioned it) i was talking about older gens like LG. That gen is where i heard the most people talking about "good" and "bad" trainer IDs.

TDwag can give a better answer then i can since he RNGs in gen 4 and i havent learned how to yet, but i believe your ID/SID combo played a bigger role in past gens, but im really just guessing from what I've heard, which isnt much tbqh

I don't know much about RNG'ing for shinies, isn't it pretty much cheating? That's what put me off looking into it. I'm on 357 eggs at the moment, trying for a shiny Reuniclus. Good luck to all with the shiny hunting!

EDIT: Well done Arckanhell, awesome.

there are some people who are of the opinion that RNGing is cheating, but their arguments hold no merit and always fall apart after a few post from someone who knows what their talking about. To be fair, there is nothing wrong with that opinion, but Nintendo has said it is a legitimate activity and Serebii has said it is a legitimate activity. After all, there is both an RNG help thread and an RNG trading thread here on Serebii. For both sides of the debate feel free to read this thread which discusses the legality of RNGing. But tbqh, no one RNGs for shiny pokemon. Ask any RNGer how many shiny pokemon they have hatched, and then released, just because the IVs werent flawless, the nature wasn't the right one, or the ability wasnt what we wanted. Every MMer out there would be sooooooooooooooooooooo P.O.ed

Shiny Lord

Have hit 1000 eggs in my search for a shiny Sandile. Hope it shines soon.

Lubu195

Pokemon Collector
woot happy day for me i just got my shiny litwick at egg 213

and i still got 8 boxes full of litwick eggs to hatch lol

2rsa

Shiny Hunter
Ask any RNGer how many shiny pokemon they have hatched, and then released, just because the IVs werent flawless, the nature wasn't the right one, or the ability wasnt what we wanted. Every MMer out there would be sooooooooooooooooooooo P.O.ed

Nah,i don't think so.Even tho their shiny they're still RNGed.and RNGed shinies don't count as a shiny hunt success(I'm not saying their hacked).^-^

Last edited:

Scrufox86

Hello everyone. Congratulations on recent shinies!
An update with my MM hunts. I have not had any luck with shinies for ages now so i am a bit lacking in motivation at the moment. No Cyndaquil, Shuckle, Gastly, Sandshrew, Buneary or anything else.

I am wondering what people do for thier MM hunts. I used to collected one or two boxes and then i would take two or three eggs from the box and the rest i would get new from the daycare man. I would save after gathering the box/es and soft reset and speak to the daycare man but i wouldn't do it with every few eggs so i wouldn't hatch ten and then soft reset. With people saying about "seeds" i was wondering if it really is worth soft resetting after the first five eggs and then hatch next five etc?

Bluebird55

Mr. Blue Skyyyy
I've still no luck on shinies, aside from my level 51 RE Dustox, I really need a MM for this.

Calamity Lynn

Lady Breeds-a-Lot
Every MMer out there would be sooooooooooooooooooooo P.O.ed

Actually no. Most MMers do it for the sport of it. The challenge to see how many eggs, how many days, how many SRs or encounters it takes to get the shine. To have that shiny in their own ID, of their own efforts.

Basically. Would one that hunts deer be angry that another person threw out subpar venison store-bought? No. They prize their own kill because it was of their own work and effort, even if an easier method existed. It's the sport of it.

dewey911p

primus inter pares
Hello everyone. Congratulations on recent shinies!
An update with my MM hunts. I have not had any luck with shinies for ages now so i am a bit lacking in motivation at the moment. No Cyndaquil, Shuckle, Gastly, Sandshrew, Buneary or anything else.

I am wondering what people do for thier MM hunts. I used to collected one or two boxes and then i would take two or three eggs from the box and the rest i would get new from the daycare man. I would save after gathering the box/es and soft reset and speak to the daycare man but i wouldn't do it with every few eggs so i wouldn't hatch ten and then soft reset. With people saying about "seeds" i was wondering if it really is worth soft resetting after the first five eggs and then hatch next five etc?

If you mean you get the egg, save the game, then soft reset to get a shiny then yes, your wasting you time. Once you collect the egg from the daycare man it is already set what pokemon will hatch. If it doesnt hatch shiny then it never will. If you mean you save in front of the daycare man, collect the egg, then soft reset if its not shiny, then there is a chance it will be shiny once your SR. This is because the game will randomly determine what is inside the egg once you pick it up.

Actually no. Most MMers do it for the sport of it. The challenge to see how many eggs, how many days, how many SRs or encounters it takes to get the shine. To have that shiny in their own ID, of their own efforts.

Basically. Would one that hunts deer be angry that another person threw out subpar venison store-bought? No. They prize their own kill because it was of their own work and effort, even if an easier method existed. It's the sport of it.

thats a really interesting perspective. I never really thought about it like that. whenever i saw someone put a MMing target in their sig with ~2000 egg i always thought they were at the end of their rope with patience, although thats only b/c i personally could never hatch 2000 eggs like that. I never thought it would take on a sporting kinda mentality. Good luck to everyone in their hunts then :)

TheShinyLunatone

VAMPIRE LORDS!
TDwag can give a better answer then i can since he RNGs in gen 4 and i havent learned how to yet, but i believe your ID/SID combo played a bigger role in past gens, but im really just guessing from what I've heard, which isnt much tbqh

there are some people who are of the opinion that RNGing is cheating, but their arguments hold no merit and always fall apart after a few post from someone who knows what their talking about. To be fair, there is nothing wrong with that opinion, but Nintendo has said it is a legitimate activity and Serebii has said it is a legitimate activity. After all, there is both an RNG help thread and an RNG trading thread here on Serebii. For both sides of the debate feel free to read this thread which discusses the legality of RNGing. But tbqh, no one RNGs for shiny pokemon. Ask any RNGer how many shiny pokemon they have hatched, and then released, just because the IVs werent flawless, the nature wasn't the right one, or the ability wasnt what we wanted. Every MMer out there would be sooooooooooooooooooooo P.O.ed

fornication nowadays is considered fine, i still think its wrong.
RNG may be considered a legitament practice, i still thinks its a form of cheating. i'm not saying don't do it, but im uncomfortable with it and shiny's obtained thru RNG are really just numbers on a screen. shinys obtained through MM are the result of hiopes time dreams patience, makes u care for them. i have a flawless male smeargle. i cherish my "Above avg "onix from MM 1000x more.
you cannot disprove my opinion.
im at about 65 eggs. no shines yet but im so psyched to be MMing again i don't mind seeing as my last hunt(Also my first) was 3400+ this hunt doesnt have a whole lot to live up to^^

Status
Not open for further replies.