• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

5th Gen Shiny Discussion/FAQ Thread - Post once per page only!

Status
Not open for further replies.

2rsa

Shiny Hunter
Congratz on the new shinies guys!^-^
I hope my SS BQ will start soon.I'm training my shiny Latios while SRing for a shiny starter in SS.

Supremacy

Shiny Hunter
Still sring for Virizion, can't wait until it shines! Gratz on the recent shinies and good luck on your hunts especially Dan, that Slugma is being so stubborn.

cocoadragon

Shiny Hunter
gl guys on those shinies still headbutting trees
500 headbutts

cupofchuck

You guys finally convinced me to start a badge quest. I bought a used copy of Diamond last night and I began soft-resetting just a little. So far I have 8 SR and 24 starters seen. Good luck to everyone.

cocoadragon

Shiny Hunter
hmm anyone entering in this shiny hunter competition u have to be a team of 4 and as u collect shinies u just show them to tdkpheonix i guess the team with most shinies win but theres no prize its for fun im interested in entering its starts on july 7th in america and july 8th in france i wanna compete anyone interested in joining me last year over 1000 shinies were posted....

@ cupofchuck how is that possible if your using pokemon diamond

Last edited:

YNCRN

Egg 125!
So I had a weekend I've never thought possible.

It started on Sunday, while hatching eggs from my Masuda Method Houndour. I was laying in bed at my in-laws house, literally falling asleep when I heard an egg hatch. I looked down, expecting like the other 2,227 before it to be a black Houndour, and to my surprise and delight, it was BLUE!!

I didn't get the nature I wanted (it's Gentle, I wanted Timid) and I didn't even get Flash Fire (Early Bird instead), but it doesn't matter because it's the shiny I've been after for years and years and I finally got him! It's IV's are average in places, but overall better than what I expected after seeing it's terrible nature and ability.

Details and pokecheck below for my Houndour!

ShinyHoundour.jpg

HoundourConfirmedLegal.jpg

But it (somehow) doesn't end there.

So now that I'm done with hatching Houndours, I'm moving on to my next shiny hatch, which I'm going to keep a bit of a secret as I don't want to give it away because it's my favorite Gen V Pokemon. To do this, I moved over an Abra with a desired nature and Synchronize to my Japanese Heart Gold to hunt for Dittos with the nature I want so I can breed them with my next shiny hunt.

The chance of SEEING a Ditto is 5% below Goldenrod, and again, as I'm almost falling asleep I see a Ditto creep across my DS' screen.

Pics and pokecheck below:

DittoWildShiny.jpg

DittoConfirmedLegal.jpg

Now, it wasn't the nature I wanted, but I was still happy to add another to my collection. I ended up catching a pretty good Ditto with the desired nature to breed in White for my next shiny, but still, I was SHOCKED.

So yeah, that was my weekend.

My signature has been updated with the egg count from Houndour, and he has a new, blue friend next to him.

What luck!

doodlecloud

Shiny Hunter
Firstly, congrats to YNCRN! I hoped you'd get that blue Houndour eventually but totally wasn't expecting the Ditto too - very jealous!

I'm at about 450 eggs on my Ponyta hunt so not really expecting one yet. As my foreign ponyta is a male I'll probably use it again afterwards to get a Growlithe and a Vulpix (if I can find one with drought) and then maybe some other pokemon in the same egg group (depending on if they need to learn egg moves or not).

Become increasingly interested in restarting my HG but just can't bring myself to destroy my Notch Eared Pichu. ><

dan2point5

Congrats dude! So glad your houndour finally decided to shine! Shows that perseverance really does pay off! Awesome ditto as well :)

AquaRegisteel

Face Oblivion
^^Well, you can't trade it...so you're gonna have to if you wish to get a shiny starter.

I had a crap day today, so let's hope my luck kicks in and gives me a starter. I need to RE on SoulSilver...soon.

I have hit 7,125 Starter Seen, which equals 2,375 SRs. It's a nice total because that's the number that I started counting from in my Shiny Hunting book.

Also, major congrats to YRCN! Two excellent shinies...and now your luck kicked in. Goes to show how they can appear without notice!

cocoadragon

Shiny Hunter
congrats YRCN thats some amazing luck 2 shinies and good IVs thats good

im at 800 headbutts

snivysson

Haven't posted in a while but ive decided to do a shiny badge quest in my heartgold. After reading about everyone elses quests. I started yesterday soft resetting
for a starter and eventually after 961 soft resets... I got a shiny cyndaquil really wanted chikorita but the red on cyndaquil is also nice.
I have only got to mr pokemons house so not trained him much.

Male
Docile
Often scatters things

cyndaquil 002.jpg

My next shiny will be after Falkner where i will hunt for hopefully Mareep

Last edited:

TomoEGoto

Mr. Robot-O
Still hunting for my second shiny on my HG file, maybe it'll be a bellsprout since I keep seeing them but maybe I'll get a shiny Mareep.
Tomodachi had my attention, why is it so addicting in person? Anyway at least I can practice verbal Japanese while on the go and I have an interesting fact if any of you hadn't known.
You can play JP DS games (not B/W) on American 3DS and vice versa.

cocoadragon

Shiny Hunter
looks like everyone ones following in my trails :p gl ive just came past route 32
hopefully you get mareep i got a sick snake

Heliotrope

it shone! ^_^
Oh, my. After only 559 encounters my 4th Heart Gold Badge Quest shiny has appeared.

... and it's a shiny Rattata, the one shiny I didn't want in this area. lol

Video: Shiny gold rat appeared!

All four of my BQ shinies have appeared very quickly (only 5134 SR/encounters combined; 6409 less than shiny Chimchar on its own :p ). And all four of them have been 'golden' coloured.

As for my other main hunts: I've hatched 450 Pansage eggs in UK Black, have done 10,350 headbutts in SS, and have done over 20,000 encounters for shiny Litwick in B/W.

Good luck guys, and congrats on all the new shinies. ^_^

cocoadragon

Shiny Hunter
^ nice congratz altho u didnt want it :( but its good with superfang :p thats all i know tho lool
gl on the other hunts im at 1000 headbutts

YNCRN

Egg 125!
Congrats, Heliotrope!

Even if it is a Ratatat, I find that I get more attached to my shinies even if I don't like the actual Pokemon.

Just knowing how rare they are (and in my opinion, special) makes them easier to use/like.

Thanks for the kind words, all! doodle, Aqua, Dan, let's hope my next hunt (after I've trained this Houndour) goes a bit quicker, but it's refreshing and encouraging to know the Masuda Method actually DOES work!

As for which one I'll be hatching for, I'm not going to say just yet but it's easily my favorite Gen 5 Pokemon, and it's also one that I'll regularly use as I like it overall, and I like it's type.

We'll soon see (I hope!)

Status
Not open for further replies.