• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

5th Gen Shiny Discussion/FAQ Thread - Post once per page only!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Electricbluewolf

*pours beans down the waterslide*
How does everyone keep track of how many shinies they have hatched/SR/RE? Especially when you get up into the thousands.

cocoadragon

Shiny Hunter
^a signature like mine......

300 SRs lol or make boxes of them i highly doubt someone will makee it to a thousand shinies >.>

Last edited:

cocoadragon

Shiny Hunter

StingrayKurt

I use a pad of paper speaking of...
I am at 800 SR for kyurem and 125 SR for my heart gold starter bq, and yes I am finally hopping on the bandwagon on the whole badge quest thing wish me your best!

cocoadragon

Shiny Hunter
gl kurt im still on eevee :)

StingrayKurt

Thanks! Good luck on eevee I hope you get him by the weekend!

cocoadragon

Shiny Hunter
something will shine eventually tomo and happy 4th of july to you to

SphealsFTW

Money is the anthem!
Video of a shiny Reshiram that has already been taken down or marked as private?

Smells fishy.

Then again, I am suspect to a lot of the videos on YouTube of shinies, simply because of how un-surprised people are with their shinies. I'm freaking out when I see one, people on YouTube are often like "meh, another shiny, 100 eggs, isn't this neat?"

If I'm being COMPLETELY honest, I think that Pokechecking all shinies to prove their validity should be encouraged/required.

The last thing I'd want someone to do is question the validity of my shinies, because for as hard as I work for them I don't want them to be taken away from me because someone thinks I hacked them.
A lot of people don't seem surprised on YouTube simply because they have so many shinies already. Also, by the time they start recording they may have calmed down already and lose their excited tone.

Plus why would you care if someone else thought your shiny was hacked? If someone accused me of cheating I could really care less seeing as how I know that it's legit and the only person whose opinion matters is my own.

Heliotrope

it shone! ^_^
Video of a shiny Reshiram that has already been taken down or marked as private?

Smells fishy.

Then again, I am suspect to a lot of the videos on YouTube of shinies, simply because of how un-surprised people are with their shinies. I'm freaking out when I see one, people on YouTube are often like "meh, another shiny, 100 eggs, isn't this neat?"

If I'm being COMPLETELY honest, I think that Pokechecking all shinies to prove their validity should be encouraged/required.

The last thing I'd want someone to do is question the validity of my shinies, because for as hard as I work for them I don't want them to be taken away from me because someone thinks I hacked them.

That's not a very good reason to 'suspect' people - not everyone freaks out and starts screaming (and swearing, often...) like they've won the lottery when they find a shiny. I tend to just gasp and stare at the screen in shock for a few moments until it sinks in that the shiny's appeared. In fact I specifically calm myself down before I start recording any shiny I find; but trust me, I'm excited on the inside.

I may act differently if I actually found some live encounter shinies. I've only found 1 so far out of 157. My shiny Cyndaquil: video

Do I act excited enough for you? :p

cocoadragon

Shiny Hunter
^ yea some ppl dont jump scream like there crazy embarras there self on there videos i dont have live shinies but when fine them i am sorta surprised but i always miss the sparkles curse u Television but im still just excited 1/8192 chance is something to be proud of no matter who dislikes your videos shouldnt be a problem when they show the back of the DS and do an encounter thats enuff proof for me

@ heliotrope love your videos there great congrats inspire me to make videos

Last edited:

Heliotrope

it shone! ^_^
^ yea some ppl dont jump scream like there crazy embarras there self on there videos i dont have live shinies but when fine them i am sorta surprised but i always miss the sparkles curse u Television but im still just excited 1/8192 chance is something to be proud of no matter who dislikes your videos shouldnt be a problem when they show the back of the DS and do an encounter thats enuff proof for me

@ heliotrope love your videos there great congrats inspire me to make videos

I'd just like to state that, at least for the 4th gen DS games (I can't speak for the 5th gen ones), the AR does not stay plugged in to the DS while the game is on, so showing the back of the DS doesn't necessarily mean that you aren't cheating; which is why I usually don't bother showing the back of the DS in my videos, or when I do, say "look: no cheating device" in a rather amused tone. If you want to show you aren't cheating, do a few encounters after catching the shiny.

Thank you. I'm glad you enjoy them. n_n

^ ah never had one so i dont know much about them sorry so showing the back of the doesnt matter as long as u do some encounters?

btw do you know what u are hunting next in your HG BQ

Well, it's true of the old DS AR (which now that I've checked, only seem to work with Diamond and Pearl). But I looked on Amazon and there seem to be different AR's with cartridge slots in them, so it may not be true of every AR. Either way, I'd do a few encounters after catching your shiny, just to be on the safe side. ^^;

I'm not sure who I'm hunting for next yet (I was considering Natu, but I'm not too sure, since I kind of want to hatch for a Dream World one).

I'm now at 500 Pansage eggs hatched. I'd like to complete my shiny monkey trio soon.

Edit: Yes, I might be hunting shinies for the Kanto badges, too. I haven't decided that yet either. lol

Last edited:

cocoadragon

Shiny Hunter
^ ah never had one so i dont know much about them sorry so showing the back of the doesnt matter as long as u do some encounters?

btw do you know what u are hunting next in your HG BQ

one last question when your doing a SS/HG badge quest does that mean you do the kanto side as well?

well gl with those if i know anything i know u wont stop til u have them hmm i was gonna hunt a natu next no flying pokemon and u get fly at the 5th gym

Last edited:

Terra Force

<-- Current Hunt
Congrats on recent shinies everybody!

I'm now nearing 5,000 encounters in my Virbank Complex hunt, so that is going pretty well. Really wanna continue this BQ. Might use repel trick to hunt for eevee since you can use that to make only eevee appear in the castelia park.

Anyway good luck on your hunts everyone.

StingrayKurt

I couldn't agree with spheals, cocoa, and helio anymore. By the time I start recording my videos I'm done running around the house screaming.pretty childish for a 24 year old but I don't care I'm unique. Anyways The only time I get that excited when I get a shiny is when it's early on. If it's a hunt that takes me forever I'm kind of mad at that pokemon and so when it shines I'm just like finally you stupid thing you finally shined! I'm also not going to take up a memory card or time by doing live shiny encounters, I thi k it's great for the few people that do it because it makes the video more interesting but I'm not going to go through the trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.