• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

5th Gen Shiny Discussion/FAQ Thread - Post once per page only!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larv

<- Current Hunt
Everstone only helps you pass down a nature it doesn't make your chances higher of hatching a shiny.

Icing Sugar

Just got a quick question, of someone could help me for a sec. Im trying to breed a shiny Tynamo. Now I know Masuda method where you use a pokemon from another country and breed it, it reduces the odds to 1/2048 or something, and then if you give the breeding pokemon an everstone it reduces it farther to 1/1366. My question is, will the everstone bring down the odds of getting a shiny if both Pokemon are from the same country/ same game file? If so, do you know what it changes the odds to?
The parents must be from different language games and the everstone doesn't affect your chances of getting shinies.

WaffleCopter

<-- Kamehameha!!!
OMG!!!

While hunting for shiny matang, a SHINY LOONATONE appeared... And I was multi tasking of watching a movie.... An accidently ran away! Didn't notice til after I ran... So I checke the dex, and the shiny form was there!!

SAAAAAADD DAYYYYY

cocoadragon

Shiny Hunter
thx im gonna go beat a rooganrola up right now then catch it

Umbreonftw

<-- Hula
Just got a quick question, of someone could help me for a sec. Im trying to breed a shiny Tynamo. Now I know Masuda method where you use a pokemon from another country and breed it, it reduces the odds to 1/2048 or something, and then if you give the breeding pokemon an everstone it reduces it farther to 1/1366. My question is, will the everstone bring down the odds of getting a shiny if both Pokemon are from the same country/ same game file? If so, do you know what it changes the odds to?

An Everstone does not lower the chances of a Pokemon being shiny. In Gen 5, the odds of getting a shiny from MM were changed to 1/1366. The Everstone will allow you to pass down the nature of one of the Pokemon you are breeding to the offspring Pokemon. And for Masuda Method to work, at least one Pokemon you're breeding has to be from a different language game.

KevinIsADude

The Shining Beauty<3
No luck on my Purrloin yet. Decided to give up using sync for it, and use a male cute charmer to just raise my chances of encountering a female.

Seviper_Venom

Seviper Enthusiast
Ah ok, I was referring to the shiny hunters club guide. Where it said:

Breeding – If you want to get a certain shiny without worrying about encountering an undesirable shiny instead, you can use this method. An even easier variant is the Masuda Method – named after Junichi Masuda, who revealed it. The Masuda Method involves breeding a Pokémon from your game with another from a different foreign game, like an English Shinx with a Japanese Ditto. This increases the chances from 1/8192 to 1/2048. In Black and White, not only can you use the Everstone Method (Give a Pokemon with the desired nature an Everstone, and it’ll pass to the eggs), but the chances were increased again to 1/1366. It isn’t easy, since it’ll take longer to hatch 1366 eggs than to dual encounter 8192 Pokemon.

Source: Shiny Hunting Guide

Umbreonftw

<-- Hula
@Seviper Venom, in B&W, the odds of hatching a shiny using MM in general was increased to 1/1366. Also, you are now able to use the Everstone trick to pass down the nature of a Pokemon. In Gen 4, you could not use MM and the Everstone trick at the same time, but in Gen 5 you can.

Seviper_Venom

Seviper Enthusiast
@ Umbreonftw: Ok, that makes more sense now lol. Thanks for clearing that up. Im new at shiny hunting. I have the worst luck ever.

Umbreonftw

<-- Hula
@ Umbreonftw: Ok, that makes more sense now lol. Thanks for clearing that up. Im new at shiny hunting. I have the worst luck ever.

Haha, no problem! And don't worry about it, keep trying and you'll get your shinies eventually!

Ropav

Howls of Loneliness

you and me both buddy. I have found only one shiny in my life it was a golbat on emerald.

cocoadragon

Shiny Hunter
dude can you migrate my shiny dogs
ill give you a shiny eevee

cocoadragon

Shiny Hunter
yes iwas ropav

Gem122

<-- is mine!

cocoadragon

Shiny Hunter
how many can u migrate