• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

5th Gen Shiny Discussion/FAQ Thread - Post once per page only!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dragonheart7

Dragon Trainer
Was play my Pokemon white at 4:am sleepy as heck and what i see a lvl 30 shiny Chobomaki and it had Pokerus XD two in one XD lucky or what!

Icing Sugar

i feel that theyre too rare, and annoyingyl rare as not even any other trainer inthe game has one. id expect Adeku to cause hes probably battled eveyrwhere, trained every mon and done it all to at least have 1.

i feel we shoulda gotten force fed 1 like red gyrados. and shiyn victini is ftw.
What's the smogon method for getting shinies?

Marcos S.

Hello Everybody,i am new here,i am brazilian,so sometimes if i write something wrong,please apologize me...I have a doubt,i´ playing Pokemon Black and i´m Soft Reseting to get a shiny Pokabu,so,if i turn off my DS Lite i will loss my soft resets?I have to start all over?I´m playing on Wood R4 so please.HELP ME!!!!!

Icing Sugar

I don't think the encounter rate changed at all, I haven't found any shiny at all yet, but in platinum for example I caught a wooper in the safari zone, but my save game was corrupted D; when I started again, I caught a shiny marill. And in Pearl I caught a shiny weepinbell and accidentally killed a ponyta, FFFFUUUU!!! I always wanted one :'(

I think I've found like 11/12 shinies in random encounters in all my life :p

Mr. E Goods

Gone for good
I don't think the encounter rate changed at all, I haven't found any shiny at all yet, but in platinum for example I caught a wooper in the safari zone, but my save game was corrupted D; when I started again, I caught a shiny marill. And in Pearl I caught a shiny weepinbell and accidentally killed a ponyta, FFFFUUUU!!! I always wanted one :'(

I think I've found like 11/12 shinies in random encounters in all my life :p

The shiny encounter rate has not changed. Lots of people just bought B/W therefore more shinies.

Marcos S.:-- No the SR's dont restart....... I dont know what you are talking about there. But SR's are when you press L&R&Start&Select, which turns off and on the game, and you keep doing that until the pokemon you want is shiny.

Icing Sugar

The shiny encounter rate has not changed. Lots of people just bought B/W therefore more shinies.

Marcos S.:-- No the SR's dont restart....... I dont know what you are talking about there. But SR's are when you press L&R&Start&Select, which turns off and on the game, and you keep doing that until the pokemon you want is shiny.
I know, that's the idea behind my post, but maybe they created a new way to find shinies like sweet scent in hg/ss but no one has discovered it yet :p

Last edited:

Mr. E Goods

Gone for good
I know, that's the idea behind my post, but maybe they created a new way to find shinies like sweet scent in hg/ss but no one has discovered it yet :p

Hmmm... Like maybe an easier way to find shinies in the dream world. They created easier ways to find shinies, via grass shinies (pokeradar), Underwater shinies (Sweet Scent I guess) and heaps of breeding techniues.

Hello Everybody,i am new here,i am brazilian,so sometimes if i write something wrong,please apologize me...I have a doubt,i´ playing Pokemon Black and i´m Soft Reseting to get a shiny Pokabu,so,if i turn off my DS Lite i will loss my soft resets?I have to start all over?I´m playing on Wood R4 so please.HELP ME!!!!!

1. Soft Resets are not 'stored', your never guaranteed to get a Shiny from Soft Resetting no matter how many you've done. You just have a 1/8192 chance each time you encounter a Pokemon of it being shiny.

2. Don't discuss Flashcards or ROMs on this forum.

Marcos S.

Thanks everybody that answer me,you guys help me alot,i was doing wrong,hmm,so there is no problem turn off,is random to get a shiny right?and i´m sorry about the flashcards i did now that...

Nothing you can do, aside from hacks, effects your chances of getting a shiny.

Speaking of which, I was really disappointed that you can't shiny hunt in HG/SS or B/W. I haven't seen a single shiny in my entire 120+ hours in my Soul Silver, nor have I seen one in my short time played on my White.

Mr. E Goods

Gone for good
I guess the only way to hunt for one is to use Sweet Scent over and over, my brother did that in Emerald Underwater and got a shiny Relicanth.

Rakurai

I have a slight hunch that maybe those increased encounter rate power-ups from the High Link might increase the rate of encountering shiny Pokemon by some degree, because the encounter rate is already so high normally, I barely even notice a difference when I activate the power-up. Of course, there's no reliable way of proving or disproving that theory.

I also wonder if the Dream World will have any ways of finding shiny Pokemon more easily.

I don't how they could be much faster in B/W. The only way to make the encounter rate higher would be to have every tile contain an encounter.

Marvs

Shinneeee!
got my pokemon white! now soft reseting for Tsutaaja, not sure how many I've done yet. Also with Victini and Zorua/Zoroark, can they be SR'd?

LoneStarAkira

+1 cookie for troll
Speaking of which, I was really disappointed that you can't shiny hunt in HG/SS or B/W.

What proof is there for that claim? I've shiny hunted on both games and came out with many shinies on HGSS and a shiny on Black just under an hour into playing. :I

I messed around a little bit in the Pokedex with Choroneko and Reparudasu's entries (since I caught a shiny one and Reparudasu's entry was permanently shiny) and discovered that you can actually switch between normal and alternate colour for permanent display. Choroneko's entry was normal at first, but now I've switched it to shiny permanently (unless I want to change it back).

It'd be cool to see someone hunt as many shinies as they could on BW and make heaps of entries in the Pokedex shiny. :)

RedMage23

The Red Mage
What's the difference between soft-resetting and regular resetting?

Status
Not open for further replies.