• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

5th Gen Shiny Discussion/FAQ Thread - Post once per page only!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nya

Oh phew. I haven't encountered one yet (I don't think) in the 2 other games I"ve played. I know they are extremely rare, but is there anything I can do/have to bump up the stats a little?

Littlemyuu

I got a question, is it still possible to use the Masuda method in Black and White?
i wanna try to get shiny Zorua...and can I use the everstone now so i can get a good nature?
Thanks = D

Ivyon

<333333
I got a question, is it still possible to use the Masuda method in Black and White?
i wanna try to get shiny Zorua...and can I use the everstone now so i can get a good nature?
Thanks = D

It is. In fact... the odds of hatching a shiny via the Masuda Method are even higher this gen. And yes, you can use an everstone while MMing in gen V.

Dr. Leggs

Astral Cowboy
It is. In fact... the odds of hatching a shiny via the Masuda Method are even higher this gen. And yes, you can use an everstone while MMing in gen V.

Has this been confirmed? I thought the Everstone effect didn't appear with MM.

Ivyon

<333333

I'm pretty sure smogon confirmed it a while back when they confirmed the new masuda method odds. Everyone's just been calling that (along with the new odds) speculation since then for...I'm not even sure why. But, in addition to that I know several hunters have managed to hatch good natured shinies using the masuda method with the resulting shinies having the same nature as the everstone parent. I think it's pretty safe to assume the everstone has an effect.

Paul1985

Ana de Armas fan
Just caught my first shiny a male level 48 bold natured Rufflet at Village Bridge.

Heliotrope

it shone! ^_^

It seems to work in B/W. I was getting lots of Timid Vulpix when I was breeding them; my shiny Vulpix was also Timid natured.

Right now I'm breeding for a shiny Scraggy; and I'm getting loads of Jolly natured ones, too. I stopped counting after a while, but I think at one point 15 out of 25 hatched Scraggy were Jolly natured like the mother.

I'm still hatching for a shiny Scraggy. I'm currently at 2120 eggs hatched... >.>

And I've been doing a little SR'ing for a shiny Pansage. Currently at 295 SR. I hope Pansage/Pansear/Panpour don't have a shiny check like some of the other Pokemon.

what does the everstone do in the masuda method

It gives you a 50% chance of the hatched Pokemon having the same nature as the mother.

Last edited:

Dawnshadow

Zubat Fanatic
I just caught a shiny female Pidove. ^^

Ok, so I was playing around (just got the game today) in the dark grass, randomly thinking how the chance on finding a shiny pokemon doubles when two enter. After I thought that, a Patrat and Pidove popped out and I noticed the Pidove was shiny. When I killed the Patrat and the game wouldn't let me throw a pokeball, I almost cried. I then tried an idea out by having my pokemon knock each other out. When I was down to my last pokemon, the game let me throw a pokeball and I caught it. ^^ (I was so nervous)

Nya

Okay - a couple questions...

When you say you've done so many SR's... what does that mean?

Also, what is the 'Masuda Method'???

Silent Conversation

Chart obsessed wanker
SRs are soft resets. Basically if you want to get a shiny starter or legendary, then once you get to it and it's not shiny, you reset your game (not sure how) so it goes back to the last place you saved really quickly. That way, if you repeat that a bunch of times, you may find a shiny.

Also, I'm pretty sure the Masuda Method is that egg Pokemon have a better chance of being shiny then random encounter Pokemon (although I could be wrong)

bleeding-chocobo

On Cloud Nine
SRs are soft resets. Basically if you want to get a shiny starter or legendary, then once you get to it and it's not shiny, you reset your game (not sure how) so it goes back to the last place you saved really quickly. That way, if you repeat that a bunch of times, you may find a shiny.

You SR on the DS by pressing the L, R, Start and Select buttons simultaneously.

Lord_Kain

Just call me Kain
i found a shiny lilipup before even getting to the second town, but it died :(

Gus Portual

Slateport Ranger
I just caught a shiny female Pidove. ^^

Ok, so I was playing around (just got the game today) in the dark grass, randomly thinking how the chance on finding a shiny pokemon doubles when two enter. After I thought that, a Patrat and Pidove popped out and I noticed the Pidove was shiny. When I killed the Patrat and the game wouldn't let me throw a pokeball, I almost cried. I then tried an idea out by having my pokemon knock each other out. When I was down to my last pokemon, the game let me throw a pokeball and I caught it. ^^ (I was so nervous)

LOL OK, this actually happened to me too once, but I didnt just let my team knock each other out XD

What happens is, if you have one of your pokémon attack and then you throw a pokéball (a la pokémon XD etc) the game wont let you throw it and it'll say "you need to concentrate" or something.

What you need to do is on that turn ONLY throw a pokéball and you'll be fine. No need to knock your team out.

Just got the game about three hours ago... my cahnces of getting a shiny now are like being mauled by a polar bear and a black bear in the same day. XD

Poke_Cannon

Beck is my boy'
this gens shinies look so amazing.. i really hope to get extremely lucky and find a few here and there. god this game is amazing

Silent Conversation

Chart obsessed wanker
Eggs with parents of different nationalities have more of a chance of being Shiny.

Oh, right, thanks. I knew I was forgetting something, because that originally seemed too basic.

UStrainer40137

<---MINE!!!!
My worst fear is that I won't recongize a shiny when I first see it (I'm a little colour blind). Will there be other things to show it's special? Like little specs or diamonds or something?

Yep, there will be a sparkle and a sound when a shiny appears.

Status
Not open for further replies.