• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

5th Gen Shiny Discussion/FAQ Thread - Post once per page only!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Confusious

Kimetsu no Yaiba. <3
lmao! man.. posts like these just make my day.
And sigs like yours make mine.

You can RNG like a boss. That's cool. Why not play the game like a boss? Oh, wait, you can't get shinies like a boss, not without RNGing. So, under the process of elimination, you are a pseudo boss.

Good show.

Zuzu14

buttd

You can RNG like a boss. That's cool. Why not play the game like a boss? Oh, wait, you can't get shinies like a boss, not without RNGing. So, under the process of elimination, you are a pseudo boss.

Good show.

Getting shinies like a boss would most likely they'd get them the best way possible, and the best results possible. But whyyy must this start again.

Vendidurt

« Breeder »

Good show.

dude, youre like, my best friend now!

Winning with weak pokemon makes you strong.
Winning with strong pokemon makes you weak.

try using an Amoonguss! which im trying to get shiny, and have been trying THE REAL WAY for a long, long time. i like having flaws in my pokemon. it gives them personality. but.... thats just my personal taste. you could call me a purist, and you would be right.

"BUT VENDIDERT IT IS TOLD THAT RNG'ING IS A LEGIT WAY TO GET THE BEST POSSIBLE POKEMANS LOL! I PUT AWAY MY ACTION REPLAY WEEKS AGO LOL!!1!!1!!one!!1!!1!!!!

I was thinking about trying to RNG to pinpoint what I want, but it's so complicated and slimy. It's cheating, but if I save time by getting what I need faster then is it worth it?

Decisions, decisions....

either that, or you could get an ACTION REPLAY! its about the same. but seriously, nothing can compare to when you finally manage to get the shiny you have been working hard for. take my word for it. having something handed to you is the best way to totally sap the fun out of your game, but then again, some people cant win that way.... if you trust your abilities as a trainer/breeder then you dont need to RNG, for any reason.

Last edited:

ColorsofTheRainbow

Live. Love. Ho-Oh.
Yesss!! I finally got my shiny patrat! After 1,770 eggs I finally got it. I would post pictures but I dont have a cord to connect my camera to my computer. It's a girl and she's Serious natured with Mischievious characteristic. Ohhh my gosh I'm so happy right now. It took nearly two months.

Toge Tamer

<- First Radar Shiny
To RNGers: Stop your trolling, and stop acting like your Pokemon are 'superior' in value. They may be superior competitively, but not everyone cares about that.

To traditional hunters: This is a place to show off and potentially brag about your newly caught shinies. Of course, RNGers will leap at this chance, but if you spot this and disagree, simply move on.

Personally I'm against neither method, but I don't RNG because I can't and I'd have no reason to, as I don't play competitively.

I guess in a way, RNG can be considered cheating. For example, if you knew what numbers would occur in the lottery and bought a lottery ticket containing said numbers, you could deem that cheating.

However, cheating =/= illegitimate. Illegitimate is when a Pokemon is produced via an external device such as an Action Replay. RNGed Pokemon are legitimate Pokemon, just whether or not you consider them 'fair' is entirely up to you.

I personally like traditional hunting for the sentimental value. I don't really do it often. However, I do like reading the stories here about the hunts and it actually makes me want to start a hunt. The RNG thread lacks such stories, most of the time it's 'oh hey look what I RNGed that was easy' and that'll be it.

Overall, if you have a certain method you like, keep it. Just don't try to force others into doing the exact same thing as you.

@Poke Cannon: Honestly, signatures like that give people a negative impression of you; it makes you seem arrogant and cocky, and overall a bit of an idiot. c:

Last edited:

Kakujitsu

What other people put in their signatures is none of your business, now is it?
It won't kill you, so I don's see why you're making such a fuss about it.
I miss how this thread used to be 500 pages back..
Everyone is allowed to post here, whethet they RNG or not.

Azumarill

baha d:
Sorry, I didn't mean to start anything but after working for like a week to try and get a decent IV'd shiny that I can actually use on my team, I see all these RNG'ers and it really got me thinking. But what it boils down to is, to me, (after looking into RNG more) cheating is using outside programs to hack the game to use to your benefit. And it would be considered this if used on any other game. And if I was going to do RNG, like a poster above said, I might as well use Action Replay (which I will never do). That's just my opinion and I'll respect yours though whether you RNG (like a boss) or not.

And signatures are for meant for everyone to see, saying they're none of our business is quite the contrary. However, I don't really see any problem with the RNG like a boss signature even though it's obviously trolling the people who don't like it. Just shows age of the forum is all lol

thatguycharizard34

so AWH-SOME /)^ɛ^(\
Sorry, I didn't mean to start anything but after working for like a week to try and get a decent IV'd shiny that I can actually use on my team, I see all these RNG'ers and it really got me thinking. But what it boils down to is, to me, (after looking into RNG more) cheating is using outside programs to hack the game to use to your benefit. And it would be considered this if used on any other game. And if I was going to do RNG, like a poster above said, I might as well use Action Replay (which I will never do). That's just my opinion and I'll respect yours though whether you RNG (like a boss) or not.

And signatures are for meant for everyone to see, saying they're none of our business is quite the contrary. However, I don't really see any problem with the RNG like a boss signature even though it's obviously trolling the people who don't like it. Just shows age of the forum is all lol

I agree. It's like religion (in a non-deity-kind-of-way). People choose to do what they want, and if they want to, what are we to say about it? I RNG, only for competitive and only the ones I love, I won't RNG randomly. I also enjoy REing, MMing and SRing, but it's all down to personal choice :) no arguments please?

Azumarill

baha d:
I agree. It's like religion (in a non-deity-kind-of-way). People choose to do what they want, and if they want to, what are we to say about it? I RNG, only for competitive and only the ones I love, I won't RNG randomly. I also enjoy REing, MMing and SRing, but it's all down to personal choice :) no arguments please?

Exactly. Freedom of religion was what I was thinking too. We all think each other's is wrong, but we all get along thinking our way is the right way and we'll let other people waste their time. hehe

edit- updated sig for teh lulz

Hedgehog325

So, when hunting shinies on the GTS, is it better to go regularly or with the negotiations? I've had some success on both, but some people making the trades are a little ridiculous. Like when someone is offering a shiny, but rejects all the shinies that i offer. On the other hand, the regular trades are usually not even possible. Kinda annoying that the majority of random traders don't know the value of certain pokemon.

Shinepoke

uhhmmm YES!
More RNG Discussions... More Fights. For the MMers/REers/SRers, don't need to get mad at us RNGers and call us cheaters. That's not the way we see it and you shouldn't get mad at us because we like stats and to compete with our prize powerful pokemon. And For us Rngers, we should respect these other guys for taking hours geting their shinies. Something I don't have the patience for( and the time to do it). RNG just seems like a faster way for me and if you don't like it just leave me be. I respect you other guys a lot, so good luck on your hunting.

And updated Sig on my recent RNG Shiny. This is a shiny discussion thread so don't be like it does not belong.

Icing Sugar

I don't really understand why RNGers post their RNGed shinies here (to me, it's like trolling the other players who MM or SR) instead of the RNG thread, since it'd make more sense and problems between users could be avoided.

And no offense to RNGers, I RNG sometimes too, but it doesn't feel as good as finding your random or MM'ed eggs after days of hunting.

Last edited:

Azumarill

baha d:
More RNG Discussions... More Fights. For the MMers/REers/SRers, don't need to get mad at us RNGers and call us cheaters. That's not the way we see it and you shouldn't get mad at us because we like stats and to compete with our prize powerful pokemon. And For us Rngers, we should respect these other guys for taking hours geting their shinies. Something I don't have the patience for( and the time to do it). RNG just seems like a faster way for me and if you don't like it just leave me be. I respect you other guys a lot, so good luck on your hunting.

And updated Sig on my recent RNG Shiny. This is a shiny discussion thread so don't be like it does not belong.

Are you implying people who don't RNG don't like to use powerful pokemon?

See that's pretty annoying. Actually, really annoying.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
I just finished hatching eggs for my Shiny Axew hunt. I managed to only hatch 30 since I had to go out for a while, but at least that still shows some progress. I've already decided that I'm gonna evolve the Shiny Axew when it does hatch. I need to register Shiny Fraxure and Shiny Haxorus in my Pokedex anyway, so I'll be worth it to just evolve my Shiny Axew to get those forms. I'm also trading for the other Shinies that I haven't been able to obtain yet. I've registered 305 Shinies so far, so I'm doing good.

@Icing sugar - Well RNG'd shinies are STILL shinies and this is a shiny discussion thread, I think they have every right to post here. If anyone sees it as trolling then they care too much about what other people think. As long as you are happy with your shiny and the way you obtained it then that should be good enough for you.

@Kira - Don't give up on that Axew! Oh and congrats on your recent Frillish hunt! Personally i'd prefer to get a male but if you're happy that's all that matters! xD

I am glad i'm looking at someone else hunting Axew and not myself haha! What a slog that was. But with a good turnout xD

I'm about to start my next 5th gen hunt. A MM hunt for Tirtouga! Again for my black shiny collection when it's a Carracosta as it goes darker in the shell.

I'm waiting for a day that I have most of free and i'm not tired so I can just mass collect 300 and then hatch them over the week. Mass collection is definately as winner in my mind.

Last edited:
I'm seriously thinking about going for a shiny deino. I think I may just RE, but I'm afraid I'll waste all that time and just encounter a shiny woobat...Not that shiny woobat is bad, just not what I want. ;)
Although MM method sounds like it works really well for a lot of you here. I just need to figure out how to trade a foreign pokemon with someone.
Ah well good luck to everyone. :)

zozo

SLIMED!
YES! My third successful MM hunt! After only 302 eggs I looked down from my movie to see this little beauty hatch out of her egg!

PICT0033.jpg

PICT0034.jpg

PICT0035.jpg

Her mother's everstone worked too, so she has a bold nature. "above average" stats, and her highest stat is "fantastic". Unfortunately, that stat happens to be attack, lol! But I don't care. I have a shiny bred from my favourite pokemon I've used so far in White (Moon Child, my Musharna) and I'm so happy! Lucky too. Thanks to the low egg cycle that felt like an extremely quick hunt.

Well, on to train this little beauty up and prepare for my next target: a Golden Growlithe.

Best of luck to my fellow shiny hunters! :D

Cain

RAWR
Congrats on the Munna, zozo! Musharna is definitely one of my favourite Shinies from Gen V.

Meanwhile, my hunt is majorly sucking. Up to 18,000 random encounters in DST, and still nada. Seriously considering just MMing a Mienfoo or Golett instead, but at the same time I really don't want to abandon this hunt after investing over a month in to it. If I don't encounter a Shiny before 30,000 then I think I'll quit.

Status
Not open for further replies.