• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

5th Gen Shiny Discussion/FAQ Thread - Post once per page only!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Confusious

Kimetsu no Yaiba. <3
I'm seriously thinking about going for a shiny deino. I think I may just RE, but I'm afraid I'll waste all that time and just encounter a shiny woobat...Not that shiny woobat is bad, just not what I want. ;)
Although MM method sounds like it works really well for a lot of you here. I just need to figure out how to trade a foreign pokemon with someone.
Ah well good luck to everyone. :)
Eggs are the way to go for Deino. It's rare enough as it is to RE, you're better off grinding out the fruitless egg hatching.

I'm thinking about hatching my third shiny Deino. I'm interested in getting the three elemental fang egg moves on one of my Deinos.

Icing Sugar

@Icing sugar - Well RNG'd shinies are STILL shinies and this is a shiny discussion thread, I think they have every right to post here. If anyone sees it as trolling then they care too much about what other people think. As long as you are happy with your shiny and the way you obtained it then that should be good enough for you.
I never said they can't post here. I don't really care if they post here or in the other thread, I was just saying that if they do that in this thread, it's more likely that it'll start a fight.

ON Topic: too lazy to keep hatching Cottonee eggs, maybe I'll do some more next week after completing Black.

Last edited:

Lulu_used_SunnyDay

Petal Blizzard
YES! My third successful MM hunt! After only 302 eggs I looked down from my movie to see this little beauty hatch out of her egg!

PICT0033.jpg

PICT0034.jpg

PICT0035.jpg

Her mother's everstone worked too, so she has a bold nature. "above average" stats, and her highest stat is "fantastic". Unfortunately, that stat happens to be attack, lol! But I don't care. I have a shiny bred from my favourite pokemon I've used so far in White (Moon Child, my Musharna) and I'm so happy! Lucky too. Thanks to the low egg cycle that felt like an extremely quick hunt.

Well, on to train this little beauty up and prepare for my next target: a Golden Growlithe.

Best of luck to my fellow shiny hunters! :D

OMG congrats she's beautiful!
I'm kinda jealous 'cause I'm also going for a shiny Munna, currently only at 510 eggs though....
EDIT: Oh, and to everyone moaning about RNGers, GTFO. I say if a guy's smart and patient enough to master such a tricky process such as RNG, they deserve way more than "easy" shinies :I

Last edited:

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
Still working on my Shiny Dratini hunt... up to over 50 days... no luck. Been hatching some eggs too... over 100 there in total. So hopefully something will come from it. Not counting on it though, but still it's always good to keep a positive perspective about things :).

Been working on battling to replenish my money supply so I can continue shiny Dratini hunting. It wouldn't be good to continue to hunt and be out of money XD.

And refilled up on Super Repels and other things to help out in that way.

Last edited:

*Murkrow

Bird trainer
I've just hit 315 Roggenrola eggs and am stopping for the night. For some reason, I'm being really jumpy about this shiny; even though the shiny will be obvious, I'm paranoid about missing it. So I've added the formes page in the Pokédex to my Y button and have been checking it each time I finish a batch just in case.

Once Roggenrola shines, I'll be switching straight to Joltik. I didn't even like this shiny the first time I saw it, but I love it now and cannot wait until I have my own.

swampertforever

Big ball o' Whims~
It happened again guys! Now Buster is the Grandfather of a new Shiny Scraggy!

Thats right! On the 121st egg (I'm getting lucky with these low hunts, Watch Darumaka be a pain again) a beautiful young Shiny Scraggy hatched from the Daughter of Buster (who has since died in computer releasing "accidents"

What makes this guy better than the other two I have is that he not only took his nature from the Smeargle father (Impish), He has DDance, Ice Punch and Drain Punch, and his best stat is his max attack! Finally! The IVs of a man (an above average man)

But now I'm in a dilemma. Who do I MM for next? Because I'm having second thoughts on getting a Shiny Snivy, Darumaka might be annoying again, and there are a few pokemon in my box I'd like to obtain.

The other ideas I'm having are: Porygon, Ralts, Tangela and Munna
Who do you think I should go for next?
(Also, it's kinda funny that my shinies are Viable TR candidates)

hekalopter

Weird...
About a half hour ago I hatched a shiny Corphish on my brother’s Black version. Wanting the Corphish to have my OT, and having saved before hatching that batch of eggs - I turned off my game - restarted it and traded the to-be-shiny egg from my brother’s game over to mine.
When it hatched on my White version - normal, no shiny. Same ability, nature, stats and everything. Thankfully, I turned off the power before saving and traded it back it the game it was originally generated on... and there, it hatches shiny.
Sorry if everyone already knows about this, but I’m pretty surprised it worked that I could at least retain my shiny.

Jolly Nature, Superpower & Dragon Dance egg moves, good stats, but Shell Armor ability - not Adaptability :(

In other news, while training my new MM shiny Meditite, I came across a shiny Vullaby. Pretty nice, and I almost didn’t catch it because it looked hardly different, and I didn’t own a Vullaby before to know what it really looks like all that well.

Sayonara

Aurea Lanistae
Well, I gave up on Kyurem, but I did start another hunt, for roggenrola. I'm about 90 eggs into it, so I got a ways to go.

Lulu_used_SunnyDay

Petal Blizzard
My brother said he wants to start sof resetting for a shiny Kyurem. Dunno how long he's gonna resist :D :D :D Ah yeah I'm mean.

Btw, may I ask a question? Why is shiny Joltik so popular? It looks hardly different from the regular form....

Cain

RAWR
Weird...
About a half hour ago I hatched a shiny Corphish on my brother’s Black version. Wanting the Corphish to have my OT, and having saved before hatching that batch of eggs - I turned off my game - restarted it and traded the to-be-shiny egg from my brother’s game over to mine.
When it hatched on my White version - normal, no shiny. Same ability, nature, stats and everything. Thankfully, I turned off the power before saving and traded it back it the game it was originally generated on... and there, it hatches shiny.
Sorry if everyone already knows about this, but I’m pretty surprised it worked that I could at least retain my shiny.

Jolly Nature, Superpower & Dragon Dance egg moves, good stats, but Shell Armor ability - not Adaptability :(

In other news, while training my new MM shiny Meditite, I came across a shiny Vullaby. Pretty nice, and I almost didn’t catch it because it looked hardly different, and I didn’t own a Vullaby before to know what it really looks like all that well.

The Shininess of a Pokemon is determined by using the Pokemon's personality values along with the trainer's ID and SID. Because of this, an egg hatched Shiny on one game will not be Shiny when traded to another, as the Pokemon takes on the ID/SID of the trainer who hatched it, and not the trainer who bred it. Hopefully that made sense to you.

zozo

SLIMED!
@ Cain: Thanks! Bleh, 18000 encounters with nothing?? I certainly hope something shines for you soon!

@ Luann: Thanks! Sorry to have made you jealous though. x] Best of luck getting your own shiny Munna! I'm really excited to evolve mine. I'll miss those green and pink flowers though.

Meanwhile, I've started my golden Growlithe hunt. I did manage to get a female Growlithe with "above average" IVs from the DW, so here's hoping it hatches with the Justified ability!

Good luck to my fellow hunters and congrats on the new shinies! :]

And @ hekalopter: What Cain said, lol. Cool Corphish by the way! I've thought about going for one of those. Shiny Crawdaunt look so beautiful, like molten gold or something.

Mr. Sandman

Not just anybody!
Currently MMing for a Shiny Ralts. 34 eggs in and still no dice. I did get Sychronizers for pretty much every non-neutral nature and an Adamant Male Ralts, though.

Azumarill

baha d:
After beating Emerald, I might start an MM hunt on either a Snubbull (because he's a bro) or Meditite. Can I transfer my shiny level 1 shinies to a White game and train them there before National Dex?

DragonairChamp

Booyah! I just hatched my first MM Pokemon!!!
110621-235519.jpg
Horsea shined for me on the 351st egg! The everstone worked and passed on the Modest nature I wanted and it got the Swift Swim ability! :D The only downside was I was hoping for female, but I'll take it!

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
I managed to get pretty far today on my Shiny Axew Masuda Method hunt. I hatched 20 eggs in the morning, another 40 in the afternoon and another 30 just now. That's a lot more than I was expecting to have hatched, but I'm glad that I've made some decent progress on this hunt, since Shiny Axew looks so cute. I also did two more Shiny trades today, and I got a Shiny Onix and a Shiny Hoppip out of those trades. I'm going to evolve those two tomorrow, and then add them to my Shiny Dex. I've also stored about 15 eggs in my PC, so I'll hatch those tomorrow.

pokemasterfox

The Dark Avenger
Went bananas today attempting to get eggs for my deerling hunt and watched as day care man once again just stared me down and gave me nothing but an evil smile.....so i started working on leveling.....took my unfezant down to giant chasm area in the grass inside, hit a rustle, and found meself a shiny audino :) I love my luck this month.....

Sayonara

Aurea Lanistae
So I was hatching eggs, and the 113th egg was a shiny roggenrola!! :D It's a girl and Naive.

But a quick question, does this mean if I had soft reset for a shiny kyurem 113 more times, it would have been shiny?

rykerr1

The Great Gublet
So I was hatching eggs, and the 113th egg was a shiny roggenrola!! :D It's a girl and Naive.

But a quick question, does this mean if I had soft reset for a shiny kyurem 113 more times, it would have been shiny?

Congrats to the first part, and not necessarily to the second part.

Basically all of my playing of Pokemon is hatching deino eggs at this point. If this hunt manages to hit 3 months, I will be furious. GRR HATCH SOON!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.