• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

5th Gen Shiny Discussion/FAQ Thread - Post once per page only!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
I just caught a Shiny Solosis! It was a random encounter~.
I've only had this game for three days, and I already caught my first shiny~!

Summary:

Solosis
Hardy Nature
Route 5
Level 22
Mischievious.

<3

Now I love that Pokemon even more!

Last edited:

hekalopter

Help Needed.
I want to MM a shiny Charmander with egg moves and I have two foreign females that I obtained from the GTS.
Although I got them both in trades from Japan, I’m unsure of which to use because they have different names.

The first looks like this...and has 31 in Sp.Attack

The Second has 31 Speed, the OT is in Red (I don’t know why some foreign pokes have this and others don’t)

Everything I’ve looked at online shows Charmander’s Japanese name to look like the first one (http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/List_of_Japanese_Pokémon_names), and the Pokedex entry shows the characters of the first picture as well.

The problem is I don’t know if the second one is truly foreign, and as such, I don’t want to hatch thousands of eggs on something that might not work right for MMing a shiny. Which one should I use?
Thanks.

Blinded No More

Longtime Pokemon fan
OK, this guy gave me 25 legit shinies for practically nothing. O-M-FREAKIN'-G. He also gave me 2 illegit shinies (Ho-Oh and Espeon) and 2 legendaries (Lugia and Palkia). Anyone heard of Camarl on GTS Negotiations? He's the guy that gave me all this. I would put up stuff like Bouffalant, Crobat, Seismitoad, etc. and he'd give me a smiley and show me his shinies until I gave him a smiley, then we'd trade.

Last edited:

zozo

SLIMED!
@hekalopter: Both of them are foreign. You can't get Japanese characters in a non-Japanese game. In fact, I've come across Japanese pokemon that have English nicknames (the font is different from the English games though), and even these are considered foreign.

So, pick the one you prefer and best of luck! :]

Oh, and having the OT in red means that it is a female trainer.

SphealsFTW

Money is the anthem!
OK, this guy gave me 25 legit shinies for practically nothing. O-M-FREAKIN'-G. He also gave me 2 illegit shinies (Ho-Oh and Espeon) and 2 legendaries (Lugia and Palkia). Anyone heard of Camarl on GTS Negotiations? He's the guy that gave me all this. I would put up stuff like Bouffalant, Crobat, Seismitoad, etc. and he'd give me a smiley and show me his shinies until I gave him a smiley, then we'd trade.
25 legit shinies for practically nothing? You got them from the GTS Negotiations, so they're probably hacked :/

tonyg44x

Poke-Ballin'
Haven't posted in a while, but i finally got my first 5th gen shiny, via MM.
Shiny zorua and the rash everstone worked and the egg moves dark pulse and extra sensory. Overall my first MM is a complete success and only after 153 eggs.

Kaotos

Shiny Breeder
Well first post, and Ive started MM. Up to 100 axew eggs and nothing. :(

Dont give up! I cant wait till I take a shot at this MM!
so yeah, dont worry that Axew will shine soon dont worry, you'll see!!!

Bracer

EEVEElution Trainer
I've just started MM for the first time. Working on Eevee. Using an Everstone on Modest and a Power Anklet in hopes that my 31 speed will inherit.

I'm pretty slow at it... just breed/hatch about 30-40 each night before bed.

||Caboose||

Precision.
Help Needed.
I want to MM a shiny Charmander with egg moves and I have two foreign females that I obtained from the GTS.
Although I got them both in trades from Japan, I’m unsure of which to use because they have different names.

The first looks like this...and has 31 in Sp.Attack

The Second has 31 Speed, the OT is in Red (I don’t know why some foreign pokes have this and others don’t)

Everything I’ve looked at online shows Charmander’s Japanese name to look like the first one (http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/List_of_Japanese_Pokémon_names), and the Pokedex entry shows the characters of the first picture as well.

The problem is I don’t know if the second one is truly foreign, and as such, I don’t want to hatch thousands of eggs on something that might not work right for MMing a shiny. Which one should I use?
Thanks.
You do know that Japanese people can also nickname their pokemon? Also red OT means female player and TM moves and Egg Moves only come from male pokemon and tutor moves can't be passed on... these are basic things everyone should know. :)

Last edited:

Sharpedo_14

Ok so today on my pokemon black game I was going through Celestial Tower and right before I decided to use a repel to get out of their faster I ran into a shiny litwick. My first shiny ever. So Happy. Gonna trade it to my white game and train it.

Sayonara

Aurea Lanistae
I want to do another masuda method hunt, but I don't know what to go for. What do you guys suggest?

Icing Sugar

I want to do another masuda method hunt, but I don't know what to go for. What do you guys suggest?
Snivy, Munna, Venipede, Rufflet, Cottonee, Mienfoo, Litwick, those are pretty good looking shinies imo.

Last edited:

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
I just finished hatching another 40 Axew eggs. No Shiny Axew has hatched yet, but I plan on picking up some more Axew eggs later on, so I haven't given up yet. I've hatched around 180 eggs so far, so things are going well. I also evolved some Shinies this morning, so I'm happy about that. I'm not doing any Shiny trades today, but I do want to finish off some other Shiny related projects that I've started. I have a box with some unevolved Shiny Pokemon that I've had for a couple of weeks now, so I'm thinking about going on a training spree in order to evolve those too. Anyway, GLE.

wbovee1

Is it faster to store a bunch of eggs and hatch them later, or to just hatch them as you get them?

Status
Not open for further replies.