• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

5th Gen Shiny Discussion/FAQ Thread - Post once per page only!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobandbill

Winning Smile
Staff member
Super Mod
Another staple thread for new game releases here for the 5th gen. =p

Post if you have found any shiny Pokemon, simply (please don't spam or post to say simply 'I haven't found any yet derp' or the such).

You must follow these rules for the thread if you don't want to be infracted.

• All general Serebiiforums Rules and B/W Rules, of course.

• You may not go offtopic in this thread at all. This is discussion of and questions about shinies only. This means no talking about your favorite ice cream flavor or which Pokemon is the coolest, or anything like that. This also means none of the ever-annoying "congrats" or "good luck" messages. If you feel the need to say that to someone, do it on their profile.

• This is B/W, which means Black and White shinies. Don't post here talking about SRing for Rayquaza or your Red Gyarados in Silver.

• No "semi-legit" (aka still hacked but makes people feel better about themselves) or "hacked" shinies. No one can stop you from cheating to get Newmoon Island on your Pearl, but don't share it with us. Don't post here saying you got a fake shiny Reshiram/Zekrom or something.

• You may only post once per page. This is using the default 20 posts per page. If you use something else... either change it to view this thread or count by every 20 posts. Posting more than once per page for any reason will earn you an infraction.
  • Want a trade? Use the trade corner sections!

Frequently-Asked Questions about Shinies

Check the main site’s Shiny Mechanics Page first.

1. Q: Shiny Pokemon? What are those?
A: Shiny Pokemon first appeared in the Gold and Silver games for the Gameboy Color. Basically, they are alternately colored Pokemon (for example, shiny Charizard is black instead of orange).

2. Q: Wow! Are shiny Pokemon more powerful?
A: Unfortunately, no. The ONLY difference between shinies and regular Pokemon is the color. They’re pretty much just for bragging rights.

3: Q: How can I find a shiny Pokemon?
A: Every single catchable Pokemon that you find (Eggs, Gifts, Wild, etc) has a 1/8192 chance of being shiny. There are a few ways to find certain Pokémon as shiny quicker, but you still need to rely on luck. They are often called Masuda Method and PokeRadar Chaining (note the latter is for D/P/Pt only).

4: Q: But I’ve seen over 10000 Pokemon in my game and haven’t found a shiny yet! That can’t be right!
A: 1/8192 is a probability. That doesn’t mean that after 8192 Pokemon, you will automatically find a shiny.

A good example of this is when you roll dice. You have a 1/6 chance of getting any particular number when you roll, such as the number 2. That doesn’t mean that you will roll a 2 in six rolls, or that your second roll will be a 2, etc.

The same goes for shiny Pokemon. You may find a shiny on your first try, or within a hundred tries, or maybe not until 10000 tries.

To delve in a bit deeper, picture that whenever you encounter a Pokemon, a random number between 1 and 8,192 is generated. Let’s say that the number 500 is the “shiny number.” If 500 happens to be the random number that’s generated, the Pokemon will be shiny. If the number is anything else, it will be a normal Pokemon. Nice odds, aren’t they?

5: Q: If I breed a shiny Pokemon, will the baby from the Egg be shiny as well?
A: Unlike in G/S/C, where you had a higher chance of hatching shiny offspring when the parents were shiny, this is NOT true for any of the later generation games. In the 4th Generation, almost every Pokemon has the same odds of being shiny. There is the exception to this rule, being the Masuda Method.

6: Q: What is this soft resetting/SRing thing I’ve been hearing about?
A: Soft resetting (SRing) is when you press Start + Select + L + R to reset your DS (just like turning the system off and on, skipping the firmware screen). It’s helpful when trying to find a shiny of a Pokemon you can save in front of, such as your starter at the beginning, legendaries, etc. It's faster than turning the game on and off, and it's less stressful on the system/batteries. Save, see if the Pokemon is shiny, if not SR your game and try again. Just like finding any shiny, this depends completely on luck, but if you’re patient you should eventually get your shiny. Keep in mind that this could take hours or days with luck, and months and months without.

7: Q: What does a shiny _____ look like?
A: The Pokedex on the main site shows sprites of every Pokemon:
http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-bw/

8: Q: How do I know if I have a shiny Pokemon?
A: Besides the change in color, a shiny Pokemon will sparkle when it
comes into battle. There are also a couple changes on its summary page, which you can see on the main site’s shiny page (link above).

9. Q: When will I know if I’ve gotten a shiny starter?
A: When you’re choosing your starter, the game will show you a picture of each Pokemon. This picture will NOT show you whether that Pokemon is shiny or not (unlike in HGSS). You will have to choose it and check its summary, or use it in battle, to find out if it’s shiny or not.

10. Q: Can I save before hatching my Egg, and reset until I have a shiny?
A: No. All of the Egg's values are set once you take it. However, you can save before taking it and have a chance.

11. Q: If my shiny Pokemon evolves, will it stay shiny?
A: Yes. Once shiny, always shiny.
If you have any other questions or think something should be added here, don't hesitate to PM me.

Masuda Method
Essentially, the Masuda Method consists of this:
1. You obtain a Foreign Pokemon [E.g. a German Ditto]
2. You breed your Pokemon with aforementioned foreign Pokemon.
3. The Game checks to see if one pokemon is foreign.
4. Thus, the chances of getting a Shiny Pokemon is roughly fourthed [supposedly 1/2048 instead of 1/8192 in 4th gen games, but in B/W it is 6/8192 (!)]
Masuda's Official Blog.

Last edited:

CyndaquilRules

Lets get the ball rolling then.

585.png

Out of the 8 different versions of Shikihika, this is my favorite. I really like the pink - spring theme it's got going. It's also vibrant. It reminds me of a sakura flower.

Grei

not the color
I personally am a fan of Emboar's Shiny Sprite. It's amazing.

500.png

Like, my God. This is awesome.

I noticed a lot of 5th Gen's Shiny forms have neon colors. Isshu's the rave region!

Last edited:

Aether13

I personally am a fan of Emboar's Shiny Sprite. It's amazing.

Like, my God. This is awesome.

500.png

I noticed a lot of 5th Gen's Shiny forms have neon colors. Isshu's the rave region!

That one is also my favorite shiny

612.png

Ononokusu's shiny version is also pretty BA.

~Panthera~

Bête Noire
I literally just caught a shiny Zuruggu about a minute ago. Of course its one of the few Isshu Pokemon I'm not fond of, but still it's (I think) my first ever random shiny encounter. I may or may not keep him *Sigh*, if only it was a shiny Meguroko.

Cutty

Forever now
I like this one:
563.png

This one:
564.png

and this one:

628.png

I like the candle one as well.

TrainerGreen

Gym Leader
i havent a single shiny pokemon in any encounter over my last 600 hours of pokemon gaming. (cross all games)

it was a shiny butterfree.

i wonder when poeple wil start to uproar that their two fav shiny tactics are gone. :) and why dont any trainers posess a shiny pokemon? id expect the elite four to have at least 1...god i wish the peopel that made the game actually played it and saw how boring this one was.

RyouChan

Super Fruitcake
I literally just caught a shiny Zuruggu about a minute ago. Of course its one of the few Isshu Pokemon I'm not fond of, but still it's (I think) my first ever random shiny encounter. I may or may not keep him *Sigh*, if only it was a shiny Meguroko.

I. Love. Zuruggu. /uberjealousy

I caught a shiny blue stripe Basurao the other day. Sort of bland shiny, but I'll take it eh.

hidden_korona

I found a shiny Mamepato yesterday who I named Aoi, because he has blue stripes and a blue tinge to his feathers <3 And he had Super Luck as ability

I really wish they had brought back a way to shiny hunt. It's definitely the thing I miss most from D/P/Pt. Favorite 5th gen shinies:

609.png
628.png
635.png

Clay Psyduck

Dynamax Luigi
That one is also my favorite shiny

612.png

Ononokusu's shiny version is also pretty BA.

Personally, I think that is one of the worst Shiny sprites. It's just black with a tad bit of red. Unimaginative and looks like a fan-recolor.

But it's not nearly as bad as this
553.png
, so there's always that.

TrainerGreen

Gym Leader
^better than turning slightly green like 80% of all other shinies, or slightly pale yellow liek the other 19%...

seriosuly, look it up, majority of the original shiyn pokemon from R/B/Y are green alternatives.

Heliotrope

it shone! ^_^
I really like the look of the shiny forms in this generation. There seems to lots of bright, colourful ones this time around; and some with complete colour changes, which I like (such as Emboar - though I'm rather partial to blue shinies anyway).

I recieved my copy of Pokemon Black on the 22nd, and have pretty much been spending all my free time hunting for a shiny Mijumaru - currently I'm at 2595 soft resets for it.

I wish it would hurry up and appear so that I can start my game. XD

Copley Hill Gym

540.png

My first shiny catch in the game - then used it in my team and evolved it to its final stage. Was surprisingly useful against the Elite Four! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.