• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

5th Gen Shiny Discussion/FAQ Thread - Post once per page only!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SHINY CATCHER

Epic Snake is Epic!
I can't believe it. I just got Black today, caught some Pokémon to try and fill up my Pokédex. Was on my way back to the Pokémon Centre to buy some more Pokéballs when what pops up but a shiny Shimana. No Pokéballs :( + it's one of my favourite 5th gen Pokémon.

Aether13

So it honestly seems like alot more people are finding shinies in this game, is the rate of shinies reduced?

RedMage23

The Red Mage
So it honestly seems like alot more people are finding shinies in this game, is the rate of shinies reduced?

If the rate were reduced, then they would be less common. -_-

Some_Chick

Manectric Breeder
i really doubt it. from all the SR attempts people are mentioning, the rates are VERY likely the same. its been said before but the "increased rate" illusion is a result of people playing in mass. playing through the game, going through hoops for the story and training off tons and tons of wilds. also people are less likely to spam Repels.

lots of people being forced into/forcing themselves into lots and lots of random wild battles results in lots of shinies. but since SRing seems to be just as annoying as ever, and breeding results not being in yet, i'd say its the same or very very close.

I finally got my first shiny on B/W and it's a shiny Pokabu!^^
Appeared after 2,913 SR's, so awesome, I finally can play the game w/ a shiny starter! It took me only 6 days of hunting.
Pics will follow, maybe on Saturday, as I need to borrow my friend's laptop to upload the pics (lame, yeah). At least, I wanna share my joy w/ you guys.

Well, normally I choose water type as my starter. But I have to admit that I secretly fall in love w/ shiny Emboar. It's just so.. PHWOAR!
I also think that Emboar is the best fire starter in design so far. A kick *** wrestler FTW.

I still can't believe it. It's like a dream but it's not.^^
But tbh, the sparkles are kinda lame in 5th gen

Congrats to other new shinies too and good luck w/ your hunts guys. Yay!

This probably has already been answered: Did it look shiny when selecting it? That is to say, is it the same as in HGSS?

RedMage23

The Red Mage
To me, shinies are collectibles only. I feel like a tool if I actually use them for some reason.

Aether13

If the rate were reduced, then they would be less common. -_-

What I was trying to say is the difficulty of finding them is reduced, i just worded that terribly.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
To me, shinies are collectibles only. I feel like a tool if I actually use them for some reason.

I don't collect Shinies usually, and I won't in these games. I've captured a Shiny Churine, Shiny Koromori, Shiny Shikijika, and Shiny Chobomaki so far in White version and I've traded away all of them except Koromori since it's my favorite Generation 5 Pokemon so far. I just feel like searching for them and then just keeping them locked in the PC Boxes is kind of weird. You put so much hard work into finding them, why not use them in battle or trade them to people who will use them in battle? I just feel that keeping too many Shiny Pokemon locked up is an odd way to go about them.

ForeverFlame

Shinies are more satisfying this generation because you can collect shiny dex entries. So there is actually a point to shiny hunting now.

Aether13

Shinies are more satisfying this generation because you can collect shiny dex entries. So there is actually a point to shiny hunting now.

Really? That's awesome it made me mad I'm HG when they didn't incorporate that.

Aquanova

Shiny Dex entries are cool. Im just hoping i run into a shiny soon, im really not picky. I never use repels. Im was so dissapointed seeing shiny shikijika, there's barely any color change, i thought theyd branch out the colors more like yellow for spring, a darker green for summer, a more brownish orange for fall and white or light blue for winter. it was really dissapointing.

Mr. E Goods

Gone for good
Yeah the shiny Dex feature is awesome. I get jealous reading about all the shinies caught already so I decided to go for a shiny Moltres in Hg/Ss >.< Very boring I must say.

Marvs

Shinneeee!
So, I was leveling up my iBall (that little rock guy with 1 eye!) and I saw my first sparkles, been a LONG time since I've seen a RE shiny :) it was a Shimama, not the best shiny but I am still chuffed. Named it Shiny... original I know.

Aquanova

Nice one, Marvs, oh and i love the name of your Dangoro, iBall. That is win

Last edited:

Marvs

Shinneeee!
Thankyou :) I'm trying to get a pokemon that can help me catch Victini now, as I am going to SR for a shiny. Am I correct in thinking that Super Fang can never feint a poke? (little off subject I know!)

Heliotrope

it shone! ^_^
I'm still SR'ing away for a shiny Reshiram. Currently at 4830 soft resets.

Seeing as it's the weekend now I'll be able to get in a lot more SR, so I'm hoping it'll appear soon.

Good luck everyone. n_n

Status
Not open for further replies.