• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

5th Gen Shiny Discussion/FAQ Thread - Post once per page only!

Status
Not open for further replies.
To be fair, Shinies were supposed to be astronomically rare so i think GF are making it difficult for some to be shiny because they feel shinies are obtained too easily (but then they made the pokeradar) or maybe they don't like the idea of the legends being shiny anymore as they are one of a kind.

Also it's possible that the creators want to encourage people to play the games the way they were originally meant without people spending hours/days/months/years sitting at a standalone and SRing.

I'm not bothered about the checks atall. It means i have less to SR for =P since i am doing a shiny dragon hunt i don't have to worry about Reshiram and Zekrom.

People still SR for IVs/Natures. And only Victini/Resh/Zek can't be shiny, if they wanted no more shiny legendaries, they would have done the same to the other ones...

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
hmm?

Liberty Island Victini can't be shiny?

Nope. For whatever reason, no matter how many times you soft reset, the Victini won't come up Shiny.

Anyway, I had previously gone on a long and difficult hunt for a Shiny Minccino in White version. I began hunting in the tall grass west of Nimbasa City and after approximately 5300 random encounters in that route, I found the Shiny Minccino I was after. Here is a blurry snapshot of the encounter screen when I found that cute little Shiny. I didn't have any weaker Pokemon with me, so I had to just chuck Poke Balls at it without weakening it first. I finally captured it after about 10 Poke Balls, but I didn't nickname this one since I think it looks fine with that name. I think I'll do some more random encounters. Maybe for a Shiny Sewaddle this time.

M0TTO

Shiny Hunter
Congrats, The 4th KIRA.
I myself haven't found a single shiny through my playthrough of Black version. I've found a shiny in every game since Crystal (Nidorina) while playing through the story. I guess Black is being stubborn. I might masuda method for a Zorua, but how do people on here Masuda Method? Isn't it impossible because the game is only out in japan?

Blackbomber72

Eccentric
People still SR for IVs/Natures. And only Victini/Resh/Zek can't be shiny, if they wanted no more shiny legendaries, they would have done the same to the other ones...

Most legendaries are just outrageously rare. However, some legendaries are one of a kind. Mewtwo(created in a lab), Groudon/Kyogre/Rayquaza there are various, but you just meet one, the ones that shaped the earth´s layers(not unique). Sinnoh trios can be created by Arceus anytime. Regigigas is just prehistoric not unique. Arceus is unique, that´s why you can´t get one without cheating(Azure Flute issues). Reshiram/Zekrom are just one, because they come from a split of the original dragon. If you find the original dragon, it may actually be shiny, as there may be more than one, but Reshiram and Zekrom are aberrations, that came from the splitting of two parts of a dragon. The Victini is met somewhat specifically, and the shiny lock just ensures that the Victini that is found in Liberty Island isn´t shiny, however a Victini around the world can be shiny.

That´s my theory

Kreis

Still Dirrty
Congrats, The 4th KIRA.
I myself haven't found a single shiny through my playthrough of Black version. I've found a shiny in every game since Crystal (Nidorina) while playing through the story. I guess Black is being stubborn. I might masuda method for a Zorua, but how do people on here Masuda Method? Isn't it impossible because the game is only out in japan?

No, it's possible. In order for the masuda method to work, one must breed a foreign Pokemon with a non-foreign Pokemon. Therefore, for example, one can transfer an english ditto (foreign) to a Japanese B/W cart and breed it with a Japanese Zorua [for example (non-foreign)] Pokemon, and the Masuda Method will work.

Last edited:
Soul Dew said:
Pucca_ness, You might be onto something there.

But personally, if that is the case, I think it's a tad pushy of them to impose something like that for the mere reason they don't want us to waste our lives. I SR and search for hours/weeks/months but that is MY choice. I paid for the games and will play them however I please. This isn't a criticism to you, just like I prefer to play how I want to, I respect that you do too.

No criticism taken I agree with you, everyone has the right to do what they want in the games so it does seem as you say pushy if this is the case. Like they are trying to restrict our ways of playing the game. I don't think it's the way to go really. =/
I only thought of that because of an article i read with the creator saying they were striving to create the experience of the first games again with B+W. It felt like they were trying to keep the feelings and excitement that came with the first wave of pokemon games and it made me think of how shinies didn't have as much of a shiny hunter following (so not as many poeple had loads they SR'd/hatched) and finding one on the random was part of that pure, new experience.

Hope that makes sense =P Masuda was also going on about how he was aiming for people to have thier favourite pokemon nicknamed and kept generation after generation so it fits with my previous statement. I think. Very sentimental man it seems.

Last edited:

Weavile22

Imma be
What's the fastest way to get them eggs to hatch? Flame Armor ability, if that's the name lol? is there something else?
both flame body and magma armor. Choose one. Slugma has it :)

Heliotrope

it shone! ^_^
Eeeak! After 1115 eggs... I just hatched a shiny Vulpix in Black! ^____^

But will I be able to have fun in the sun while using my new shiny... YES, I will! She has drought ability!

So, I guess this proves that dream world abilities can be passed on to shinies via breeding.

She also inherited her mummy's lovely Timid nature; whether this was due to the everstone working or just a stroke of luck, I don't know. But either way, she's pretty much perfect. *__*

I shall add pictures of her in a minute.

Edit: Picture. shiny Vulpix hatched

Last edited:

Ju-da-su

Now, I'm confused...so does Everstone work while MM breeding? Despite of the fact that I managed to hatch a shiny Tepig with Adamant nature probably thanks to the stone, I'm getting a bit confused now, since some people said it won't work, while some just manage to get it to work...-_-"

M0TTO

Shiny Hunter
What's the fastest way to get them eggs to hatch? Flame Armor ability, if that's the name lol? is there something else?

There's a deru power that does this. I wish I had access to it, but I have nobody to go on high link with until the american release.

Ginji

Hmm
Eeeak! After 1115 eggs... I just hatched a shiny Vulpix in Black! ^____^

But will I be able to have fun in the sun while using my new shiny... YES, I will! She has drought ability!

So, I guess this proves that dream world abilities can be passed on to shinies via breeding.

She also inherited her mummy's lovely Timid nature; whether this was due to the everstone working or just a stroke of luck, I don't know. But either way, she's pretty much perfect. *__*

I shall add pictures of her in a minute.

Edit: Picture. shiny Vulpix hatched
Congrats on your new shiny with a DW ability ^^

but for me still no sign of the shiny darmanitan for me

Most legendaries are just outrageously rare. However, some legendaries are one of a kind. Mewtwo(created in a lab), Groudon/Kyogre/Rayquaza there are various, but you just meet one, the ones that shaped the earth´s layers(not unique). Sinnoh trios can be created by Arceus anytime. Regigigas is just prehistoric not unique. Arceus is unique, that´s why you can´t get one without cheating(Azure Flute issues). Reshiram/Zekrom are just one, because they come from a split of the original dragon. If you find the original dragon, it may actually be shiny, as there may be more than one, but Reshiram and Zekrom are aberrations, that came from the splitting of two parts of a dragon. The Victini is met somewhat specifically, and the shiny lock just ensures that the Victini that is found in Liberty Island isn´t shiny, however a Victini around the world can be shiny.

That´s my theory

Yet Kyurem can be shiny. And why would a Victini not be shiny in Liberty Island but be so if met "around the world"?

LordSemaj

<- Newest Shiny
I was using the repel trick with a lvl 38 repeller out, It made it so there was roughly 30 percent of Deino, Boldore, and Durant, and still some Meinfoo as well. My target was Deino, and after only 1,278 RE a shiny one appeared! I will post again (or edit) to show pics and the youtube link!

It has a lonely nature and pretty low IVs but I don't care!!

My next hunt for White is in the Fukiyose Cave where my lvl 31 repel will bring only Boldore and Axew! Axew is my target, and this hunt seems easier to do because more Axew appear, but the encounters are not as frequent. Oh well.

Heliotrope

it shone! ^_^
Good morning guys.

I took a profile pic of Shiny Vulpix

And I made a little video showing her droght ability

I think I might SR for a shiny Kyuurem in Black next. I also might just master ball it, rather than bothering to weaken it (since I got my extra master ball for doing 50 trades a little while ago).

I'll have to go and look up the best nature for it, and see if I have a synchroniser...

Good luck. Congrats on new shinies.

pokefreak in qatar93

Ganna sound like a noob but .. Can someone link me to where I can read about RE ? I want to know everything before doing it . Does it matter if I kill/catch/run the pokemon all that stuff.

Kur0nue

Round-a-Bound
Hitomoshi/Litwick won't shine for me. T-T *sigh* And now I am almost out of power and stuck in San Francisco without a recharger.

My last random shiny was a Taillow in Emerald TT_TT like eight years ago now. Aside from the Red Gyarados and the shiny Pikachu and Raikou from wifi, thats it for me so far. 100 hours in Japanese White so far, still no shiny. Using a UK Ditto in the daycare with various JP White Pokemon for breeding sessions now and then to see if the MM gets me anywhere, but I'm not holding my breath.

Status
Not open for further replies.