• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

5th Gen Shiny Discussion/FAQ Thread - Post once per page only!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heliotrope

it shone! ^_^
1) where did you get your foreign dittos/pokemon from, even the GTS wants stupid things

2) Is there anyway you can encourage a Random Encounter with a shiny? I have seen hunters saying they have done 1,384 random encounters

1: I have the Japanese copies of Heart Gold and Black, so it's easy for me to get Japanese Pokemon. n_n

2: No. It's all down to luck; sometimes they'll appear quickly, sometimes they'll take ages.

Currently at 1380 Panpour eggs hatched in Black. I was hoping for a fast shiny after Scraggy... but it doesn't seem like that'll happen.

||Caboose||

Precision.
just a few questions I want to ask you keen shiny hunters:

1) where did you get your foreign dittos/pokemon from, even the GTS wants stupid things

2) Is there anyway you can encourage a Random Encounter with a shiny? I have seen hunters saying they have done 1,384 random encounters

1)I have Japanese Pearl and Platinum.
2) Good luck REing, it takes a while :I

I've gotten to the point where I pretty much have to release them as they hatch now. I've only got 5 Pokemon left to complete my Pokedex, so I've sorted my Pokemon via type boxes (3 for Water, 2 for Grass, 2 for Normal etc) and that's left me with two Unsorted boxes. Which are getting pretty full of various types overflowing from the full boxes. 24 definitely isn't enough for people who want to catch 'em all and do breeding/have multiples.

Anyway, no shinies yet after roughly 3000 eggs with a Japanese ditto and various fathers depending on my whim and fancy. Doing Mudkip at the moment but could switch back to Charmander or Tynamo at any moment. My total actually is much higher because I've been doing this since Pearl through HG/SS through to BW with no luck :p

Krishnath

Dragon Lord
I've gotten to the point where I pretty much have to release them as they hatch now. I've only got 5 Pokemon left to complete my Pokedex, so I've sorted my Pokemon via type boxes (3 for Water, 2 for Grass, 2 for Normal etc) and that's left me with two Unsorted boxes. Which are getting pretty full of various types overflowing from the full boxes. 24 definitely isn't enough for people who want to catch 'em all and do breeding/have multiples.

Anyway, no shinies yet after roughly 3000 eggs with a Japanese ditto and various fathers depending on my whim and fancy. Doing Mudkip at the moment but could switch back to Charmander or Tynamo at any moment. My total actually is much higher because I've been doing this since Pearl through HG/SS through to BW with no luck :p

Stick to one poke to up the chances of getting a shiny. I.e. don't switch between mudkip, charmander, and tynamo. If you keep switching it will take longer to produce a shiny.

charmizard

I got a Japanese Ditto with perfect IVs on GTS. I traded for about 20 over two days, I was only really looking for speed but then I got a bit lucky :')

Part of me wonders if it is hacked, but that part got buried after I hatched a few perfect Scraggy B]

Heliotrope

it shone! ^_^
I got a Japanese Ditto with perfect IVs on GTS. I traded for about 20 over two days, I was only really looking for speed but then I got a bit lucky :')

I highly doubt that it has perfect IV's. If you got it off the GTS then how do you know what EV's it has? (if you don't know the EV's you can't get an accurate reading on an IV calculator, and some of them, like Serebii's, tend to just tell you that it has all 31's...)

Now at 1390 Panpour hatched.

Blackacer

~Artist~
Is it true that if i breed a JAP pokemon with a Ditto or a ENGLISH pokemon i get higher chances to get shiny?

pokefreak in qatar93

NEVER GIVE UP! my 684th egg hatched and guess what !!!! It was carrying my shiny vulpix ! it was female (thank god!) but the everstone didnt work :( But also guess what?????? it was TIMID! im so happy right now ! i'll edit this if I can take a picture!.

Edit :

Here are the pics :D

Photoon2011-03-27at1615.jpg

Photoon2011-03-27at16152.jpg

Sorry for the quality and the reverse thing >< I was using my mac's webcam
I have 3 more eggs I should hatch who knows maybe i'll get another shiny ;)

Last edited:

LimeStar

Stick to one poke to up the chances of getting a shiny. I.e. don't switch between mudkip, charmander, and tynamo. If you keep switching it will take longer to produce a shiny.

That's not true.
The odds of a single shiny appearing will remain the same, but you just waste that time switching when you could be hatching more.

Krishnath

Dragon Lord
That's not true.
The odds of a single shiny appearing will remain the same, but you just waste that time switching when you could be hatching more.

Which is why it'll take longer. Duh. >.<

Is it true that if i breed a JAP pokemon with a Ditto or a ENGLISH pokemon i get higher chances to get shiny?

Yes, it is true that if you breed a foreign pokemon with an english language pokemon you will have a higher chance of producing a shiny. That is what the Matsuda Method is: Breeding two pokemon of different languages. The oddsof producing a shiny is 6/8192, which is six times the normal odds of producing/encountering a shiny.

Last edited:

Bleu

Shiny Catcher!
I'm not getting much luck at the moment still >_>;

So basically I'm MMing and REing at the same time. I've got about 4 eggs in my team; the other two pokemon are Volcarona for Flamebody and Empoleon to 1HKO the litwicks in the Celestial Tower.

Currently have 3561 encounters on Litwick; and 250 eggs hatched on Charmander and nothing yet sadly; despite my horrific drought of nothingness throughout the whole of gen 4. Hoping this will end soon though.

I'm going to push to 3600 or 4000 before I take a break again.

Reckless

Logically Reckless
Currently hunting a shiny Kyurem, totally lost count of the amount of SR's iv'e done so far but I've been at it for 4 solid days so far >.< Heres to hoping today is the last in my hunt, then I can go hunt a shiny roggenrola lol

Reading this thread makes me happy, keep going people =D

charmizard

I highly doubt that it has perfect IV's. If you got it off the GTS then how do you know what EV's it has? (if you don't know the EV's you can't get an accurate reading on an IV calculator, and some of them, like Serebii's, tend to just tell you that it has all 31's...)

Now at 1390 Panpour hatched.

Checked at the Battle Subway..

Arcamenel

Shiny Hunter
I'm picking up my 3DS later today and it's also my 21st birthday! Finally hatching a shiny zorua would be the best present ^_^

DuquÊ?

Too lazy to pick a pic
I insist: is it possible to soft reset the pidove/pansage/axew egg event for a shiny? Just to know if the japanese shiny pansage I got is a legitm or no...

Status
Not open for further replies.