• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

5th Gen Shiny Discussion/FAQ Thread - Post once per page only!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cocoadragon

Shiny Hunter
lol lmao i just got a shiny servine thats looking pretty legit for a level 50 zoroark so idont have to do that hunt now

;448;
currently hunting for shiny riolu
3 eggs in -,-

Last edited:

Mijuwott

Poppstar Sunshine
Osha >:0 Shiny Servine!? I'm trying to go for a shiny no one had gone for in the fifth gen :( guess I'm gonna change my random encounter to Drudigon or something 7.7 I've seen more Woobats through MM because of its low egg steps+ Flame Body to half the steps...wott

Samus_Aran

Gardevoir Fanboy
Ug, 1800 Litwick eggs so far, almost 1200 since it shined the first time. I really hope I don't go over 2K eggs. :(

Is there something special you have to do to soft reset? I'm hitting L+R+Select+Start and nothing happens. I know I was able to do it in HGSS, but for some reason it's not working now.

Umbreonftw

<-- Hula
Is there something special you have to do to soft reset? I'm hitting L+R+Select+Start and nothing happens. I know I was able to do it in HGSS, but for some reason it's not working now.

Hmm... make sure you are hitting all of them at the same time because nothing has changed in the 5th Gen. If you are doing it right then one of your buttons might be broken....

Haunter ゴースト

600 wild encounters is very little. This is a formula which gives the chance of meeting a shiny for each time you do a specified number of random encounters:

P = (-((1 - 1 / 8192)^x) + 1)*100%
Which can also be written as:
P = ((-(0,999877929^x)+1)*100%
P stands for probability, and the 1/8192 is the chance of meeting a random shiny when RE-ing.
x is the number of pokémon you have met.
So let's put your number, 600, into it:

P = (-(0,999877929^600)+1)100%
P = 0,070628818*100%
P = 7,06%

That means that for each time you meet 600 pokémon, the chance that you will meat AT LEAST one shiny, is a mere 7 percent.

So... yeah...

EDIT: For each time you meet 6000 pokémon, the chance that you met at least one shiny, is 50%.

Ah cheers this is actually extremely helpful, slight question for you though.

Im in double encounter grass now (Still has scraggy, just has crustle instead of dwebble), whats the percentage now?

Chibified

<--Wants Plushie of

Im in double encounter grass now (Still has scraggy, just has crustle instead of dwebble), whats the percentage now?

The percentage doesn't change, really. Just your odds kinda change a little cause it could go up on the chance to meet a shiny due to 2 REs happening simultaneously.

NorthernLord

The chance that you will meet a shiny for each time you encounter two pokemon at the same time, is 1/4096. But each of those two pokes will still have a mere 1 out of 8192 shiny rate.
So if you meet two scraggies at the same time, there is going to be a 1/4096 chance that one of them is shiny.
So your chance of meeting a shiny devided on the time that you use, increases in the double grass.
However the chance of meeting a shiny devided on the number of pokemon you meet, is the same.
Practically speaking, that just means you're most probably going to meet your shiny pokémon earlier than you would in the single-grass.
Which, of course, is no surprise.

Best of luck with your hunt!

Haunter ゴースト

The chance that you will meet a shiny for each time you encounter two pokemon at the same time, is 1/4096. But each of those two pokes will still have a mere 1 out of 8192 shiny rate.
So if you meet two scraggies at the same time, there is going to be a 1/4096 chance that one of them is shiny.
So your chance of meeting a shiny devided on the time that you use, increases in the double grass.
However the chance of meeting a shiny devided on the number of pokemon you meet, is the same.
Practically speaking, that just means you're most probably going to meet your shiny pokémon earlier than you would in the single-grass.
Which, of course, is no surprise.

Best of luck with your hunt!

Cheers appreciate it, luckily I wouldn't mind getting Crustle either so, if it doesn't happen to be two scraggy's could still be a Crustle :p

I decided I finally want to do a shiny hunt haha. But I'm not sure if I want to MM a Mareep or a Chikorita...

Either way, good luck to everyone on this thread, I'm pretty envious of how much dedication you guys have to getting your shinies !

desi darling

you already know
I think Mareep is a cuter shiny, personally. :3 Like a piece of cotton candy. Chikorita's probably more useful and less common though.

Good Luck! Hopefully your hunts won't get into the high thousands like some of ours here >.>

Narblet

Risky Buisness
I've been running into a lot of shinies in Black. I only use one though, being my Golurk(Caught it as shiny golett).

cocoadragon

Shiny Hunter
omg i traded a shiny walrein for a shiny tepig i also had to give him my blaziken he said we may have to put trade oon hold may or may not get one

About to start my egg hunt for shiny Heatmor.....let's hope it's not in the 1000's this time(even though it more than likely will)

Kakujitsu

What exactly is this TV you're talking about? ._.
Where do I find i? D:

Nymphaea

Quirky Bug Girl
What exactly is this TV you're talking about? ._.
Where do I find i? D:

Any TV in any house. Sometimes a show named after you plays, and it tells you your in game stats, such as how many encounters you've had.

Status
Not open for further replies.