• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

5th Gen Shiny Discussion/FAQ Thread - Post once per page only!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
I just finished hatching another 40 Deino eggs on my Shiny Deino hunt. I was putting that hunt off for a while, but I decided to work on it some more since my Shiny Frillish hunt was going nowhere fast. I also worked on that hunt some more and did about 100 random encounters this morning, but I got tired and I left to hatch Deino eggs and train some other Shinies. I'll work on both hunts this evening, since I'll have more time off. I want to hatch that Shiny Deino this week, but at the rate things are going, it may not happen until next week. Well, good luck to everyone else.

Mega Steelix

Mega Evolved
Yeah, I haven't found a shiny since my Magnezone that I caught as a Magnemite with the Pokeradar in Platinum.

Even longer since a RE shiny so I'm hoping to find one again. RE because its the rarest shiny type in my opinion. So I've been REing in Giant Chasm because I wouldn't mind a shiny of any of the pokemon there. Wish me luck and good luck to you all.

Last edited:

Ipodcheese

Shiny Hunter
hey guys i've decided to take a break from hatching Deino eggs (up to around 360) and man it takes AGES sooooo......
I've decided to hatch some munna eggs because they dont take long :D
Got a Modest musharana with telepathy holding everstone and the Jap Ditto Holding power brace (I think its the power item that help Sp Def.)
Hoping for a quick shiny cos I LOVE shiny munna and musharana
Good luck to all you other hunters!!!!

EDIT: can someone help me make a shiny sheet PM if you can thanks!! :D

homestarhydon

Battle Fanatic
I'm sure this has already been answered, but I don't want to look through all the pages. In black and white, if the starters are shiny, does it show up on the poke balls like in HG/SS?

JohnNiles

After hatching a shiny male Snorunt and taking a long break (porting pokemon from gen to gen, failing to hatch a shiny Carvanha, failing to chain in Platinum), I decided to resume my goal of making a shiny Frosslass. After about a couple of boxes, I got this!

Its nature is Adamant *sound of gong ringing*

The everstone was on a Modest female. I tried making a regular Adamant Froslass last gen and it didn't work out too well. Perhaps the move pool has improved since then. Or I may just put special attack skills on it regardless. I guess I'll keep the Snorunt-only physical moves like Crunch and Ice Shard around just in case.

It's got 2 max IVs (S Attack, S Def), though the rest are nothing to write home about. Still, I want to evolve and use it as fast as possible. (Though I only have one Dawn stone on the cart.) I'm not sure if I should continue to press my luck, because I really don't want another shiny male. I think I've been fortunate enough as is.

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
Still on my shiny Dratini hunt. A little over 30 days now... I hope that one shows up soon or I'll scream :D.

BenjaminBattington

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Was cleaning the kitchen when I heard an "OH MY GOD" from my girlfriend upstairs. Thinking she was hurt or something, I rushed up to her.

Turns out she was playing White and had run into a RE shiny Gurdurr. This'll be her first RE shiny ever (She has an Articuno she SR'd for too) so I was really happy for her.

Lil' Orange Heracles was just awesome enough to oust her Zebstrika and take a spot in her main party.

Shiny_Gurdurr_BW.gif

||Caboose||

Precision.
The latest Shinies that I captured: Elgyem, Ditto, a new Litwick, Durant, Heatmor, Gurdurr, Cubchoo, Cryogonal, and Minccino.
I have captured about 20+ legit shinies in the past 7 days :3

Confusious

Kimetsu no Yaiba. <3
The latest Shinies that I captured: Elgyem, Ditto, a new Litwick, Durant, Heatmor, Gurdurr, Cubchoo, Cryogonal, and Minccino.
I have captured about 20+ legit shinies in the past 7 days :3
Uh huh. And why aren't they in your binker signature? :rolleyes:

The fact that you have to specify that they're legit seems to advocate otherwise, and, in addition to that, your only other RE shiny - according to the binker - was a Stunfisk captured nearly 3 months ago. And you managed to get 20+ shinies in seven days? AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Jolteonfan

Come to me.
Hey everyone.Congratulations to new shinies. I'm hoping to get my first MM target..Snivy.

I just have a question concerning it. I'm using a Korean Ditto with my American Serperior(male) will that still work? I know it said any foreign pokemon would work but it seems the Japanese Ditto is the easiest to obtain. I'll try and get a Japanese one if the one I have doesn't work,I'm sorry if this has been asked before,I just wanted to be sure.

baros1

My question may sound a noob question (in fact, it is), but what is the probability of getting a shiny legendary? That way I can estimate how much SRs would it take and if it's worthy :)

Also, should I simple turn the power off, on and try again or am I supposed to take some steps?

Twilit Dragoon

*omnious thunderstorm*
I'm sure this has already been answered, but I don't want to look through all the pages. In black and white, if the starters are shiny, does it show up on the poke balls like in HG/SS?

That was only for HG/SS, if you wanna find out if your starter is shiny, you need to battle with it.

My question may sound a noob question (in fact, it is), but what is the probability of getting a shiny legendary? That way I can estimate how much SRs would it take and if it's worthy :)

Also, should I simple turn the power off, on and try again or am I supposed to take some steps?

The same as every other shiny. It all depends on luck(unless you RNG), you can get one in 10 SRs, or it can take 10k or more.

~
Last 5th gen shiny was a shiny Sewaddle in Pinwheel Forest. It was the shiny I wanted the least out of everything there, I really wanted a shiny Venipede/Pidove. Still SRing for shiny Cobalion(5300+ SRs) and hatching for a shiny Beldum(been a shiny I've been after for years), but they refuse to shine.

Samus_Aran

Gardevoir Fanboy
Decided on trying for a Jolly Snivy. Currently I'm up to 215 eggs hatched.

shinehunter

a Beyblading trainer
I'm now have hatched 66 eggs for a shiny jolly Ducklett no luck yet I'll go back to bed because i stayed up past midnight hatching eggs

Kur0nue

Round-a-Bound
Wow, so May was a horrible month for shiny hunting for me. But finally with the advent of June I have my shiny Roggenrola! Yay! Unfortunately she is female, so I couldn't use the nickname I had originally picked out, but she does have a Relaxed nature so at least everstone worked.

Up next: Deino with Dark Pulse

2011-06-01155055.jpg

pokemasterfox

The Dark Avenger
Wow, so May was a horrible month for shiny hunting for me. But finally with the advent of June I have my shiny Roggenrola! Yay! Unfortunately she is female, so I couldn't use the nickname I had originally picked out, but she does have a Relaxed nature so at least everstone worked.

2011-06-01155055.jpg

Call her crystal. Gigalith looks like it has a million crystals on it as a shiny, and that's the name i picked.
My shiny gigalith had a bad nature when i caught it (as a boldore) I dont remember what its called but it cuts defense and ups special d. Ugh.

Icay4321

2011-06-01155055.jpg

I'll race you on that Deino, I need some motivation to hatch those anyway!

Congrats to all on their Shinies, no personal lick to speak of, but I wish all of you (especially Kira) the best of luck.

||Caboose||

Precision.
Uh huh. And why aren't they in your binker signature? :rolleyes:

The fact that you have to specify that they're legit seems to advocate otherwise, and, in addition to that, your only other RE shiny - according to the binker - was a Stunfisk captured nearly 3 months ago. And you managed to get 20+ shinies in seven days? AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yeah, it must be weird for someone to catch their own shiny pokèmon without having to clone someone else's. By the way it was 35 shinies I captured in 7 days throught RNG. I said legit to classify so someone like you wouldn't think they're hacked. Seems like that didn't work. I haven't updated my signature because i'm typing this on a phone. Also i'm looking for a cool way to update it ( ideas anyone?). Thanks for all the love and concern Confusious and good luck everyone else!

zozo

SLIMED!
Still slow going for Alomomola, but I have a few days off now so hopefully i can hatch a bunch more eggs for one! On the bright side, one of the adamant female non-shiny Alomomola I did hatch had relatively superior IVs, so I tossed her into the daycare with my Japanese corsola. Hopefully I'll now get a better chance at stronger ones now.

At any rate, I'm about to go to the Dream World. I just reached 10000 points, so here's hoping I get a female poliwag or a male Dark Pulse vulpix for my next shiny hunts! Wish me luck!
Edit: Well, that was quite possibly the worst DW trip I've ever had. The best thing I found was an Ultra Ball. XD Oh well. Tomorrow's another day!

Good luck to my fellow hunters and congrats on the new shinies!

Especially to the person who just hatched a roggenrola! Shiny Gigalith has to be one of the most beautiful shinies ever.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.