• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

5th Gen Shiny Discussion/FAQ Thread - Post once per page only!

Status
Not open for further replies.

hekalopter

Decided I'm gonna start on a hunt for a shiny snivy, since I recieved one from afghanistan by accident (meant to ask for an oshawott)!
Now, here's my question: is it better to use the masuda method and hatch all the eggs, or find one I like and soft reset until it turns out shiny?

When you recieve an egg, the nature, ability, IVs, gender, and coloration (shiny or regular) are set. You can't get one egg, save, hatch it, and then soft reset if it doesn't shine- you would simply be hatching the same pokemon over and over.
It changed a bit in Gen V, where one could reset for better IVs in Gen IV but now each egg is individual.

But if you're asking about MM vs obtaining a new starter at the start of the game, MM for sure - if for no reason that the odds are the best that way, but it all depends on which method you prefer.

Speaking of obtaining a shiny starter, has anyone had their rival/friend get a shiny starter? Is that even possible? I recall someone posting about how in Emerald, Wally caught a shiny Ralts which remained shiny throughout repeated battles. Can anyone confirm or deny if this has happened for them or someone else?

Drummerdude

Getting shiny Tepig yesterday has given me the willpower to try for another shiny target. I decided to go with Snivy like so many others here are doing. I collected 100 eggs this morning and have since started hatching them. I've currently gone through 60 of those eggs.

Zenotwapal

have a drink on me

Speaking of obtaining a shiny starter, has anyone had their rival/friend get a shiny starter? Is that even possible? I recall someone posting about how in Emerald, Wally caught a shiny Ralts which remained shiny throughout repeated battles. Can anyone confirm or deny if this has happened for them or someone else?
I don't think it can happen anywhere else besides emerald (or Ruby, Sapphire)

Axew is coming my way soon..... haxorus isn't the best looking shiny, but I've gotten every other dragon shiny in this gen already.

Twilit Dragoon

*omnious thunderstorm*

As far as I know, a rival can't have a shiny starter. I know someone who passed on the opportunity for a shiny Totodile in HeartGold, let the rival take it, and when they battled the rival, the Totodile was normal.
~

Still no luck with Cobalion or Beldum. Kinda hoped that I'd get an early shiny for once, but it isn't meant to be. I'm up to 6600 SRs for Cobalion and 880 eggs for Beldum. Hope I have better luck on the weekend, have a few targets I want to get to after these guys shine.

Wardek

U & I
I think i'll be going to go for Shiny Female Snivy with Iron Tail | Mean Look | Sweet Scent (Yeah, i know it will be pain. =P) after i finish my Masuda Reset for Shiny Pawniard with Egg moves (Will MM Ponyta+Growthile+Dratini later).

*IZ*

I've hatched 34 Cranidos eggs yesterday. Today I'm planning to hatch 60 more eggs. I'm hoping I'll find my first MM shiny before 1000 eggs. :D

ThousandMaster

Magic School Dropout
I caught a shiny Swanna on Marvelous Bridge the other day. Naughty natured, so I think I'm just going to keep it in my collection. My attempts at Masuda Methoding anything have been fruitless so far, but I've got a pretty decent collection of shiny Pokemon at the moment as it is.

KimmyC

Well I'm gonna put my Shiny Archen hunt on hold as I'm tired of seeing it pop on my screen. I think I'm gonna start on hatching a shiny Meatmor. Love it's shiny colors.

moonlightning

I tried SR for a starter but got bored then went to Platinum and chained like, four shiny shinx. Those things are super easy to chain with static. I've had really bad luck with shinies lately, or at least randomly caught ones. I only chain and RNG now. Maybe I should do a "go to a route and record all randomly encountered Pokemon and see which one shines first" kind of thing. That would be sorta fun.

warcraff

Lost Precious Finder
I don't think it can happen anywhere else besides emerald (or Ruby, Sapphire)

Axew is coming my way soon..... haxorus isn't the best looking shiny, but I've gotten every other dragon shiny in this gen already.

So does that mean you've got Aquaman. If so let me know in a PM and such. Hope you've gotten the Dratini you were trying for.

Not much to report. Still in Mistralton Cave. Still trying to get Shiny Cobalion. He continues to elude. And my hatred for his normal sprite continues to rise.
Hope those taking part in the Community hunt have much better luck than I'm having.
'May the Shinys be with you.'

*IZ*

I just finished my first MM hunt for a Cranidos. It took 85 eggs. Its a female with Naughty nature. Its my first MM hunt and I was expecting it to take long maybe even 1000. The nature is beautiful for it. What should I go for next?

Quezy

I finally got a shiny eevee to replace the hacked one someone scammed me with. :/

Same name, nature and all, just this one is legit. Yaaaay!

Dr. Leggs

Astral Cowboy

No. Wally's Ralts can be shiny because it's generated like any other RE Pokemon.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
Sigh. No Shiny Frillish yet. I did about 140 more random encounters this afternoon, but I guess I'll have to keep trying later this evening/tomorrow morning. I just finished doing some Shiny trades, but I didn't get anything special, just a Shiny Bulbasaur and a Shiny Trubbish. I already have a Shiny Trubbish, but I'll evolve this one into a Shiny Garbodor, since I need to register that in my Pokedex. I plan on evolving the Shiny Bulbasaur eventually, but I need to finish evolving a couple more Shinies before I move onto that project. Good luck with the other hunts :]

Riarra

I personally love Fraxure's shiny coloring a lot more than Haxorus's.

I should be getting a couple of foreign Ditto this weekend, and I'm trying to decide whether to MM Oshawott, Snivy, Cottonee, Venipede, or something else next. I'm open to suggestions and opinions, 'cause I'm kinda stumped.

Also, where's this weekend's shiny hunt? I'm thinking about participating again.

Alex048

Master of the Mind
Currently MM'ing for a shiny Ralts with a neutral nature. I'm at 65 eggs at the moment.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
I now have my first shiny of this game, and its...

A Golbat. Not an amazing 5th gen legendary. Its a Golbat. A Pokemon I already have a shiny of. Yeah, it's kind of a let-down. I have yet to possess at shiny that isn't 5th, or even 4th gen. Hmm...well, at least I can have a green Golbat and pink Crobat. And here are the shinies I am sure I can get
.Litwick(I intend to get a shiny one for Pokemon Gray)
.Basculin
.Zen Darmanitan
.Volcarona
.Frillish
.Zoroark
.Stunfisk
.Golett
.Claydol

I have an odd feeling my next shiny will be a Chimecho

Evll33t

Currently MM'ing a Shiny Snivy hope I hatch one to be my first MM method shiny obtained. Using a female japanese Snivy with all egg moves ((How I wish it was male. . .)) with a Iron Tailed Snivy male I hatched a few weeks ago.

Too Funk to Druck

I am America
I think I'm going to go for a shiny Munna next. I'm not sure I really like Munna's shiny color, but I do like Musharna's. I dunno, I'll have to figure it out. I did get a shiny Oshawott though.

Status
Not open for further replies.