• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

5th Gen Shiny Discussion/FAQ Thread - Post once per page only!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keruso

Here, Birdy birdy!!
Holy shi----!!!!!!! TWO SHINIES IN ONE DAY ON THE SAME GAME FILE!!!!!!! I went back to Route 3 to try for Pidove, and, unfortunately its not Pidove, though it is a second Purrloin. About 650 encounters AFTER getting Petilil!!!!!

Edit: correct encounters are 652

Last edited:

Jessara

Shiny Hunter
photo2.jpg

photo1.jpg

photo4.jpg

photo3.jpg

:D

I've never posted in this thread before but I've been reading through the posts for a long time and I came across this one that was posted in May and I noticed something odd about the pics. Look closely at the Cottonee pics....

The encounter pic shows a male while the ID page shows a female and no one even noticed this. Just found it weird that no one even saw this. I'm going back to reading...you guys post some interesting stuff.

Last edited:

Lulu_used_SunnyDay

Petal Blizzard
^Nice find!

Anyway i was thinking about shiny SRetting or RNGing for the musharna in the dream lot you can see at friday....

But one big doubt got me. I know that some pokemon wich appear in sprites/cutscenes such as Zek, Reshi and Victini can't be shiny.
Does the rule applyt for the dream lot musharna as well?!

Ultimate Glalie

^Nice find!

Anyway i was thinking about shiny SRetting or RNGing for the musharna in the dream lot you can see at friday....

But one big doubt got me. I know that some pokemon wich appear in sprites/cutscenes such as Zek, Reshi and Victini can't be shiny.
Does the rule applyt for the dream lot musharna as well?!
No, it doesn't. The only Pokemon that can't be shiny are Reshiram, Zekrom, Victini and the event Zorua and Zoroark.

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
Okay, it's official. My favorite technique of shiny hunting is to quickly stockpile 300 eggs then hatch them later.

Egg 134 of 300 contained my shiny Charmander. Total of 264 Charmanders til it shined. However I have also been stockpiling Dratinis, so add in the 300 of those I did its more like 564. Either way, stupidly fast hunt! Two times in a row now! (Riolu was only ~700 total of various eggs, 266 of just Riolu)

IMG_0491.jpg

Now to hatch out the remaining 200 eggs. @_@ Excuse me while I do a grampa jig at the end of a quick hunt. (Karma says Dratini will take me 4k eggs o.o;;;; )

Dang congrats on the shiny Charmander :)! Still working on hatching the Dratini eggs I have... it's taking forever XD.

Still working on my hunt... it's over 40 + days... and nothing.

Not giving up... since I'm just as stubborn as it is :p.

zozo

SLIMED!
Just finished hatching 181 eggs and no shiny Munna yet. But it's early in the hunt. :) At least these eggs hatch quickly!

Holy shi----!!!!!!! TWO SHINIES IN ONE DAY ON THE SAME GAME FILE!!!!!!! I went back to Route 3 to try for Pidove, and, unfortunately its not Pidove, though it is a second Purrloin. About 650 encounters AFTER getting Petilil!!!!!

Edit: correct encounters are 652

Wow, congrats! Say, pass some of that luck over to me! I've got 3/6 shinies and I'd like to finish my shiny team in the next couple of months (lol. I wish)

Poke_Cannon

Beck is my boy'
004.gif
005.gif
006.gif

#004. Blackfire (Charmander) ()
OT: Drew | ID No.: 64647 | Gender: F
Nature: Adamant | Ability: Blaze | Type: Fire
Hatch Location: Route 3 | Hidden Power: n/a
IV: 31/31/31/31/31/31
Egg Moves: Dragon Dance | Outrage
Notes: Beast Mode

Ryeinzilla

The Ginger Broski
My first and only shiny(that I didn't trade for) so far in Black was a Purrloin on the route the Daycare is on. I was hatching several Cyndaquil eggs and I came across it in the dark grass, I was so surprised!

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
Congrats! So glad that you finally got your frillish! I know you have been working on it for a long time!

Is it the boy or girl?

Congrats Keruso and The 4th Kira!!!

Thank you both! I'm just so glad that I finally found my target. I was at this hunt for about 3 and a half weeks, so it's good to know that I can rest easy about Shiny Frillish. It's female, which doesn't really bother me. I was doing random encounters, so it was understandable that the gender was random.

Anyway, my Shiny Axew hunt can finally pick up some speed since the Shiny Frillish hunt is over and done with. I hatched another 40 eggs this morning, and I'm hatching some more right now. I want to hatch 100 eggs today, but that might not be possible. Well, I'll just hatch as many as I can.

FrostFlash

Finally got this after approximately 400+ eggs in a month, wasn't counting exactly how many I hatched. Joy after the accidental release of my lvl 100 EV trained Volcarona. My phone's camera sucks.

sigilyphshiny.jpg

Timid nature, Magic Guard with Psycho Shift, Roost and Stored Power. Unfortunately the IVs rated by the IV judge was only decent, but the 31 HP IVs was passed down from the parent, so that's okay.

Paul1985

Ana de Armas fan
Just caught my second shiny (first was Rufflet) in Pokemon White, I was leveling up my Gigalith in Victory Road when I encountered a shiny level 38 Woobat.

Riarra

I think I've hatched somewhere around 210 Horsea eggs now... I lost count after I resetted a box of eggs a few times. BUT I got a couple of Japanese Ditto today, so I think I'm gonna mix up some eggs of a few species and start hatching (that'll keep me motivated... I hope).

Any MM suggestions? I'm kinda torn between Treecko, Oshawott, Snivy, Cottonee, Larvesta, and Venipede. Maybe I'll do them all!

Azumarill

baha d:
I was thinking about trying to RNG to pinpoint what I want, but it's so complicated and slimy. It's cheating, but if I save time by getting what I need faster then is it worth it?

Decisions, decisions....

Corroded Arceus

Shiny Hunter
I was thinking about trying to RNG to pinpoint what I want, but it's so complicated and slimy. It's cheating, but if I save time by getting what I need faster then is it worth it?

Decisions, decisions....

Would you rather value a pokemon because of its superior battle ablility, or because you worked really hard to get it?

RNG can be hard work, but it's also not as exciting as getting a random enounter/soft resetted/masuda method shiny.

On the other hand, non-RNGed shinies can have really crappy stats that make them useless in battle.

I prefer random since I don't battle, but it's up to you.

Up to 800~ Rufflet eggs myself. Was hoping for one to hatch before 1k, but doesn't look like that's gonna happen. Ah well.

Calamity Lynn

Lady Breeds-a-Lot

I know this argument has been played a thousand times before but seriously, RNG is NOT cheating! Cheating means you ALTERED data. Cheating is slapping on Action Replay and making some horrible monstrosity. RNG is simply predicting an outcome based on numbers, you're reading your game, you're not changing it.

If you don't like RNG, that is fine. I prefer to breed all my pokemon natural because it gives me something to kill time with. But please don't dismiss it as cheating. Ignorance like that gets RNGers labelled like they're hackers.

But to respond to just the question at heart. What do you want out of the shiny? Do you want to kill time and purposely put hours into it on what's essentially a gamble? It's fine if you do. I enjoy the rolling of the dice and seeing how my MM's turn out.

But do you REALLY want that shiny? Do you want it to be as good as it can be? Something you can never improve upon? Then by all means learn to RNG. There's nothing slimy about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.