• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

5th Gen Shiny Discussion/FAQ Thread - Post once per page only!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kitara

Obsessive Collector
So I hatched a Zorua with 31 in HP, Att, Def, SpAtt, and 25 in Sp Def. Shiny hunt therefore went on hold until I train this guy, because not training him would be a shame.

@Zorua?! If I understand how things work, then yes, that Arcanine should still be Japanese and good for MM.

@BIGJRA, I think that was only back in the metal gen. Since then, breeding shiny parent(s) hasn't affected the odds on the baby's shininess.

Good luck to all shiny hunters! Especially my fellow Zorua hunters.

Mr Spaz

Loading title. Please wait.
Found a Shiny Lotad in White Forest. My first fairly-obtained Shiny... EVER

ChaosBlizzard

Crit Happens.
Hey all,

I'm a computer science major. I've been programming (mostly in C/C++) for over 6 years now. I'm also currently 520 eggs into a hunt for a shiny Yanma/Yanmega. This is my first Masuda method based hunt for a shiny, so I have no prior experience with this method. We all know it is 1/1366 or 6/8192, but I wasn't content with that. I just finished writing a short program that lets you simulate the Masuda method by hatching eggs.

The program lets you input the number of simulations you want to run (i.e. the number of shiny hunts you want it to simulate), and then will perform a simulated shiny hunt for you. Once it comes across a shiny, it will record how many eggs it took to get it, and move on to the next simulation. After it has finished the number of simulations you input, it will average the results and tell you the average number of eggs it took to find a shiny during each simulation. It will also tell you how many eggs it took each time it finishes a simulated hunt, so you can see the number of eggs for each individual hunt too.

For anyone who is interested, here is the source code...

Code:
#include <iostream>
#include <cstdio>
#include <cstdlib>
#include <ctime>
using namespace std;

int main()
{
	//SEED THE RNG
	srand ( time(NULL) );

//GET INPUT
	cout << "Enter the desired number of simulations: ";
	int num = -1;
	cin >> num;
	cout << endl << "Working..." << endl << endl;

//DEFINE DYNAMIC ARRAY OF EGGS WHICH WERE SHINY
	int * values = new int [num];

for(int i = 0, egg = 1; i < num; egg++)
	{
		/*
			Keep two variables, i = 0 and egg = 1.
			i is our counter variable, and while i < num,
			the loop continues running. egg is the number
			of eggs we have hatched in the current simulation. 
		*/

int RNG = rand() % 8192; //between 0 and 8191

if(RNG >= 0 && RNG <= 5) //if the number is 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5 (Masuda Method), then...
		{
			values[i] = egg; //...assign the number of eggs it took into values...
			i++; //...increase i...
			cout << "Simulation #" << i << ": Shiny after " << egg << " eggs." << endl; //...print the results...
			egg = 0; //... and reset egg to 0. When the loop reinitiates, it will boost egg back up to the initial value of 1.
		}
	}

/*
		Now values contains num number of values, which are the number of eggs it took
		during each simulation to get a shiny. Now we just have to average them and print.
	*/

int avg = 0;

for(int i = 0; i < num; i++)
	{
		avg += values[i];
	}

avg /= num;
	cout << endl << "The average number of eggs it took to get" << endl << "a shiny during " << num << " simulations was " << avg << " eggs." << endl << endl;
	delete [] values;

return 0;
}

I just finished running the program where the number of simulations was 25,000; that means it successfully found shinies in 25,000 (twenty-five thousand) unique hunts, and recorded how many eggs each one took. The average number of eggs it took according to the program was 1370 eggs. This is of course only 4 eggs bigger than the statistical average of 1366.

Quite frequently, I notice hunts where it was a very small number of eggs to find a shiny, and hunts where the number of eggs was 2000 to 4000 and up. Just eyeballing it, it seems the average is somewhere in the high hundreds to low thousands, but the statistical average of 1366 is pretty accurate, as the program verifies.

Hopefully anyone else out there who knows C/C++ will find this interesting or useful. I had fun writing it. I'm going back to my shiny Yanma hunt; good luck everyone.

x.Shiny_Dude.x

ShinyHuntingTrainer
i've got 2 shiny up to now in white.... shiny mienfoo appeared randomly(is at youtube.. my channel 's enrikillo3000 in case u wanna see my other shiny) and my first MasudaMethod shiny: a shiny zorua after 1100 eggs...and now i'm going 4 a shiny archen... btw..the video of shiny zorua will be uploaded shortly..

Zorua?!

CANNED
ok, so i have a male jap. arcanine, an eng. male infernape w/ close combat, a jap. ditto, and an eng. adament ditto.

ok so how do i get to breeding for a shiny (MM) growlithe adamant nature w/ close combat egg move?

jolteon135

ok, so i have a male jap. arcanine, an eng. male infernape w/ close combat, a jap. ditto, and an eng. adament ditto.

ok so how do i get to breeding for a shiny (MM) growlithe adamant nature w/ close combat egg move?

Put some thought into it. Clearly you can't use the Jap. Arcanine because only males can pass on egg moves and it doesn't have the egg move you want.
Breed Ditto with Arcanine until you get a female Growlithe. Then breed the female Growlithe with the Infernape until you get a male Growlithe with Close Combat. Next you want it to be Adamant so get an Adamant Ditto and give the Ditto the everstone. Breed your male Close Combat Growlithe with the Ditto until you get an Adamant male Growlithe with Close Combat.
Then you can give that Growlithe the everstone and breed it with your Jap. Ditto.

KittyKitty3308

Shiny Hunter
Hey guys! I am currently working for a shiny Deino. I am up to 195 as of now and hope to get to at least 240 before going to bed tonight. I hope it shines soon!! I do not want to go through what I went through to get my shiny Swablu. That was torture! Well back to riding around hatching eggs! Good luck everyone!

Last edited:

Riarra

I am in shock.

Recently, I've been working on completing my Unova 'dex. A couple of days ago, I was raising my Tranquill into an Unfezant in the Giant Chasm, and as soon as I entered the cave part-

OH ARCEUS GOLDEN PILOSWINE!!!

That gave me a jolt, I can tell you. I threw an Ultra Ball, he broke out, I almost had a panic attack, he used Take Down and knocked out my Tranquill, my Whimsicott paralyzed him with Stun Spore, I tossed another Ultra Ball, and- he was mine!

:D

Why I get so excited over shinies I have no idea. Anyway, I still can't believe it. This is only my second random shiny ever, so... yeah.

Good luck and congratulations to everybody (whichever one fits you)!

fuyu-seetaa

Birthday: 8/14/1997!
Does anyone know where I may find animated shiny sprites, but not all of them jumbled into one page? When they're all on one page it seems to strain my computer, but I want to find the one sprite, save it, and then upload it to my own image host (like how I did the shiny Panpour in my signature).

Anyway, thinking about SRing for a shiny Virizion (after my Panpour hunt, of course)... What would you think?

Corroded Arceus

Shiny Hunter
Rufflethatchscreen.png

Hatched this little guy after 2682 Masuda eggs.

Rufflet - #627 (Adamant)
Male (♂)
HP: 13 - 14
Att: 21
Def: 31
SpA: 18, 20
SpD: 26
Speed: 3

Perfect Defence lol, but good nature makes up for the Speed stat. Currently EVing him.

HeadOverHeels

Not enjoying AutumnF
I'm currently breeding some Dratinis looking to hatch a near flawless one and I figured why not try out the Masuda Method since I'll be hatchin over 9000 (rough estimate) eggs. However after taking a look at Dragonites shiny sprite I decided it's not really worth it. I'm not a huge fan of shinies either so I replaced the Japanese mother with crap IVs after 100 hatched eggs or so. GL to all of you though.

Iris Mist

Hylian Princess
While my daughter was taking a nap and her clothes are in the washer, I decided to check which Route has a Pokemon outbreak today. Since it was one I had already done, I figured I would catch a few Pokemon at Village Bridge. First pokemon I encountered was Seviper. I was about to run away (I caught anotherone yesterday) when I noticed something odd, then I realized "OMG she's shiny!!"

She is so beautiful! Impish nature, but I don't normally care about nature. She's my first shiny in 5th gen (besides trades)

shinypokemon

shiny searcher
Three days ago, I resumed my Shiny Munna MM search, a little disapointed as she returned that afternoon (My girlfriend went on a trip, and I wanted to welcome her back with her Shiny Munna) Then, after the third egg that I hatched, I almost died for a heart attack: There it was! The most surprising of it was that I hatched no more than 150 eggs before I finally found it!

Now, that Munna is in her hands, made her happy, and made myself happy with her smile =D

Next step: Shiny Cyndaquil (I don't believe I will be that lucky this time... but it's worth a try =D)

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
I just finished hatching Axew eggs. I managed to hatch a total of around 40 eggs today, and I also hatched 30 yesterday afternoon, so I've been pretty busy with this hunt. I'm almost wondering how I'm going to be hunting a Shiny Venipede when I'm so involved with this Shiny Axew hunt already. Well, I've multi-tasked before, so it shouldn't be too hard to do it again. I'm about to do some more Shiny trades. I have a little over 320 Shinies registered in my Pokedex right now, but I hope to reach 350 by the end of the month. Wish me luck.

Zorua?!

CANNED
Put some thought into it. Clearly you can't use the Jap. Arcanine because only males can pass on egg moves and it doesn't have the egg move you want.
Breed Ditto with Arcanine until you get a female Growlithe. Then breed the female Growlithe with the Infernape until you get a male Growlithe with Close Combat. Next you want it to be Adamant so get an Adamant Ditto and give the Ditto the everstone. Breed your male Close Combat Growlithe with the Ditto until you get an Adamant male Growlithe with Close Combat.
Then you can give that Growlithe the everstone and breed it with your Jap. Ditto.

thnx for trying, but when breeding w/ ditto, the everstone can only be on the ditto for the nature to goto the baby.

edit: srry 4 posting twice in a page

edit2: @vendidurt: realy?! awesome!!!!!! thnx 4 everything jolteon and vindidurt

Last edited:

Vendidurt

« Breeder »
thnx for trying, but when breeding w/ ditto, the everstone can only be on the ditto for the nature to goto the baby.

edit: srry 4 posting twice in a page

no, it doesnt work that way in black/white. any parent will activate the everstone.

Snarky

Hello everyone! First time post for me! I just got a shiny latio's from a trade. I traded for non shiny level 51 Feralgatr! So I'm really happy.

He's level 99, serious nature. He's really cute :) I'm really happy with him! I can't believe someone traded him for something so easy to obtain though!

ChaosBlizzard

Crit Happens.
On the 602nd egg, I hatched my shiny Yanma. He has a Lax nature, doesn't have Speed Boost, and has pretty crap IVs though, so I probably won't be able to actually use him, but I got him.

Status
Not open for further replies.