• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

5th Gen Shiny Discussion/FAQ Thread - Post once per page only!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
I did another 40 random encounters for Shiny Venipede today, but I have to admit that I wasn't really trying. I was more concerned about my Shiny Larvesta hunt, which is a lot easier since I'm using the Masuda Method for that. I managed to hatch 30 Larvesta eggs, which brings my total to a little over 100 eggs hatched. I'm going to try to hatch another 15 Larvesta eggs tonight, then I'm going to resume my Shiny Venipede hunt since I've been neglecting that. I didn't do any Shiny trades today because my Wi-Fi is down, but I'll work on those tomorrow as well. GLE.

Polityranitar

hey all i've not posted in a while, couple pages back I was MM'ing for a Zubat, at about 534 eggs now and nothing yet hopefully it'll come out of the blue sometime. The funny thing is I got my shiny larvitar when i wasn't really trying..maybe i should do it with this zubat too lol.

I've actually taken a break from MM Axew.

Lately the only breeding I've done is for Cryogonal to use as trading fodder on GTS.

I'm sure I'll get back to it eventually... >.>

ShinyGoogleplex

Guess who!?
To all,

I'm embarking on an uncommon quest, that is I've dug out my GBA & Sapphire cartridge and I'm continuing where I left off last... the Weather Institute to SR for the gift Castform as shiny. 10 months in-the-making, and I'm resuming that chapter here this morning. I will post up to date when I need a break. I also wanted to post it in a populated area of this website & I did follow down to 3rd Gen forums but since I'll migrate it "why not here?" I thought.

Would anybody like a pic as soon as he comes to me?
A generous scientist is welcome!

Anyway this will last as long as my AA batteries hold up under the pressure of soft resetting but I'm Determined.!;273;

ADDITION: I think I did about 1000 SRs back when, and getting up to 200 from this early morning. Maybe I've done 1,165 SRs?

THOUGHT (If I'm not misleading myself.) Man! SRing on the original GBA, which I'm playing, is really easy. Just A, B, Start, Select. And 'bout 75 more times put in.

UPDATE: Thinking I was at 1,315 now. Rested up a bit & now I'm back. Any motivation for me folks to help me get started?

Last edited:

KittyKitty3308

Shiny Hunter
I am getting really lazy with this Sneasel hunt. I have been so busy packing for college and getting ready that I have taken all week to hatch 450 eggs. I have about 170 eggs left to hatch before I start collecting again. I definitely am not expecting a shiny in this batch, but we will see!

Oh and congrats on the Lillipup and Litwick and any others that people got!

thetifftiff

1248 pink munna and counting. I find it a bit odd since I do better than the odds with random encounters than I do with the thing with better odds. D:

I know the frame is always changing. I don't like being called ignorant just for turning on the c-gear to "hit the seed" by dumb luck and just messing around, it's not like I picked up the game yesterday.
The whole point in RNG'ing is getting exactly what you want whether your doing MM, RE, or SR. Isn't that technically controlling those things?

The problem with how you seem to see it is that you are quite possibly lowering your chances by doing what you're doing as you could very well be skipping the frame that would have given you a shiny by purposefully advancing it.

When you are RNGing you can figure out which frame you are supposed to hit. You are just jumping random frames hoping it will help. I don't think blindly modifying it is actually controlling it. And this is not an insult, please don't take it that way.

Finally got my shiny lillipup 11607 eggs. =(

Wow that is quite a bit of dedication you've got there. :O Why are you making frowny faces over it? D: You got it, that is not bad. D:

Edit:

As long as they are different languages it will always work :D

Thats to bad thetifftiff my cousin got a shiny munna in 2 eggs (I almost puched him in the face since was over 500 with my deino) I was wondering 2 things

1-does anyone besides myself use hatching power to hatch eggs?
2-What was the longest MM that any of you went trough

1 I was until I realized how pointless it is with eggs that hatch so fast (munna falls into the group that hatches second fastest). I will when I go for something with more steps.
2 For me it's been the muna hunt as I usually quit these things. However I'm willing to bet TheMindGames and their 11,607 eggs surpass most people. ._.

Last edited:

jolteon135

I know the frame is always changing. I don't like being called ignorant just for turning on the c-gear to "hit the seed" by dumb luck and just messing around, it's not like I picked up the game yesterday.
The whole point in RNG'ing is getting exactly what you want whether your doing MM, RE, or SR. Isn't that technically controlling those things?
I didn't mean it as an insult. I was trying to point out that RNGing is not luck based. When I'm RNGing I know exactly what frame to hit to get a shiny Pokemon. There's no guessing involved, no hatching 100 eggs. I just turn on my game at the right time, advance to the right frame, grab the egg and it's guaranteed to be shiny. MM/RE/SR are luck based methods. They are not at all like RNGing. You have no idea what frames are shiny so there's no point in turning on the c-gear.
And actually we don't RNG for shinies via the c-gear method because the c-gear advances the frame too quickly making it nearly impossible to have any control over the RNG that controls shininess.

de_darkrai

Japanese + Korean=MM breeding. Will this work?

shiny13

<-- Current Target
Japanese + Korean=MM breeding. Will this work?

As long as they are different languages it will always work :D

Thats to bad thetifftiff my cousin got a shiny munna in 2 eggs (I almost puched him in the face since was over 500 with my deino) I was wondering 2 things

1-does anyone besides myself use hatching power to hatch eggs?
2-What was the longest MM that any of you went trough

Gligari

Shiny Hunter
Wow this thread can get anyoning once in a while because I will be like wheres the quote they just pulled a few padges down what howd they get the quote oh ya no double padge posting. Anyways hoping I get a shiny gligar soon. But you know I dont think much more luck will come to a guy who has gotten 2 shinies now in 1 egg.
EDIT

EVery FReaking one Turning on your C gear or any other rng manipulation tactics are useless to mming You ethier are mming or rnging theres no in batween please quit asking the same useless questions about rnging when mming eggs. Gosh it gets annoying. MMing is taking a foreign/different pokemon language game into your own and breeding them. Rnging is looking up how many chatots noises happen before you get a shiny. There are no in betweens if you have rng questions post them on the gosh dang rng thread.

Last edited:

NDStilly

No. Pokerus only doubles the EVs earned in battle. It has nothing to do with breeding.

He/She stated that they were breeding a Japanese Zoroark with an American Ditto. Foreign pokemon + Non-Foreign Pokemon + Breeding= Masuda Method = Related to shinies.

The question was about pokerus, not shinies, regardless of the Masuda Method parents. Besides, the question was so unintelligible that it's not even clear WHAT this kid is asking.

You can be all abstract if you want, but in the end you answered the same thing I did: "It has nothing to do with breeding." So shut your yap and stop trying to sound so clever.

Back on topic, I began my secret hunt a couple of days ago. With one DS and no double grass, this one may be tedious. Only 300 encounters/resets/eggs in -.-

nikki124

Dragon Trainer. RAWR
Second shiny in White! And again, it was by accident and I am in major shock!!!

The thing is, I wasn't even Masuda Method-ing or anything.

I was breeding two pokemon from my cartridge (no foreign pokemon at all) so I could get a Bagon with the desired IV's and nature. I got 27 eggs and then decided to hatch them so I could take them to the guy at the Gear Station. On the 27th egg, a shiny Bagon hatched!!!! :D

Still don't get how this happened, but it did, and now I have a shiny jolly Bagon with 31 IVs in Attack and Defense :D

Good luck to everyone on your shiny hunts!!!!!

Hey All!

Brand new to this board and just got my wifi to work on my DS after about a year playing the games, so I've gotten my first foreign Pokes and am going for my first MM Shiny- Feebas!

I have a Japanese Milotic and a Feebas from my game, Bold with everstone, and have hatched my first 30 eggs. I don't know much about how RNG plays into all this, but is there anything anyone can recommend to maybe make my hunt quicker? IE, leave C-Gear off or on, don't turn off power, etc.

Thanks and good luck to all!

nikki124

Dragon Trainer. RAWR
Hey All!

Brand new to this board and just got my wifi to work on my DS after about a year playing the games, so I've gotten my first foreign Pokes and am going for my first MM Shiny- Feebas!

I have a Japanese Milotic and a Feebas from my game, Bold with everstone, and have hatched my first 30 eggs. I don't know much about how RNG plays into all this, but is there anything anyone can recommend to maybe make my hunt quicker? IE, leave C-Gear off or on, don't turn off power, etc.

Welcome and good luck with your shiny hunt!!!

Don't we wish there is some magic trick to make hunts go quicker! Unfortunately, it's completely random. For example, when I tried for a shiny feebas, I hatched about 400 eggs and never got one. Then when I was breeding a munna not even trying to get a shiny, I got one on the first egg :D

Best of luck and I hope your feebas shines soon!!!! It'll happen when you least expect it! :)

darthmalice777

Dark & Ghost FTW
Hey All!

Other than learing to manipulate the RNG system within the game (RNG abuse), it is more or less random. C-gear advances your frame so quickly, and if you're not trying to RNG, then just hatch/RE/SR until you get what you want. Best of luck to you.

oreo2011

Shiny Hunter
well hatched all the eggs in my box and no shiny vulpix yet. so guess its back to the egg making business :)

blonde_1

To do RNGs: 0
hey all i've decided to start mming snorunt :). I just love its cute little blue body! My latias hunt is moving slowly so I need something else to keep me going...

I hope I get a female, i like froslass way more even though she doesn't have the best shiny form. I also have some pretty good parents so I should hopefully get a decently stated one :)

Status
Not open for further replies.