• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

5th Gen Shiny Discussion/FAQ Thread - Post once per page only!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gelatino95

Not a tool
Just finished MMing for my shiny Trapinch. It took a few months, including the hiatuses, but I finally did it. My shiny Trapinch is now named Snaps and I'm not even going to bother EV training her, since she doesn't have the best nature. Raises Special Defense and lowers Special Attack, which is pretty good since I don't plan on using any special moves anyway. I'm going to savor all the time it takes to train her; I won't power-level by fighting any strong trainers, won't use a lucky egg, and won't fight any Audinos unless they appear at random while I'm training.

This may seem a bit excessive, but keep in mind that this is only the second legit shiny I've ever caught and the third one I've seen (I still have a grudge against that self-destructing blue Koffing...)

Now, I need to know what to MM next. I really like Beldum as a shiny, so I might do that, but I also want to get revenge on that shiny Koffing that escaped from me too. So which should I do, Koffing or Beldum?

Vandslaux

Which reminds me: I should get revenge on my lost shinies: Jigglypuff (Safari Zone, corrupted SS) and Gible (sent to Black, restarted w/o realizing).

Supremacy

Shiny Hunter
Just finished MMing for my shiny Trapinch. It took a few months, including the hiatuses, but I finally did it. My shiny Trapinch is now named Snaps and I'm not even going to bother EV training her, since she doesn't have the best nature. Raises Special Defense and lowers Special Attack, which is pretty good since I don't plan on using any special moves anyway. I'm going to savor all the time it takes to train her; I won't power-level by fighting any strong trainers, won't use a lucky egg, and won't fight any Audinos unless they appear at random while I'm training.

This may seem a bit excessive, but keep in mind that this is only the second legit shiny I've ever caught and the third one I've seen (I still have a grudge against that self-destructing blue Koffing...)

Now, I need to know what to MM next. I really like Beldum as a shiny, so I might do that, but I also want to get revenge on that shiny Koffing that escaped from me too. So which should I do, Koffing or Beldum?

Gratz on your Trapinch :) I think you should get your revenge on Koffing and go for its shiny first!

In other news, I've decided to MM for a Pawniard. I managed to get both parents with outstanding Iv's so hopefully the shiny comes out superior or better. I'm only 60 eggs in atm so wish me luck! :D

Cutty

Forever now
This is my last shiny from fifth gen. Cute, and it's female of course. Hardly surprising when it comes to the kinds of shinies I got lately.

shinyminc1.jpg

I haven't got any 1/8192 shinies in November.
But I got to 40 chain of cute Budew last week w/ 3 shinies. At least one is male.
I'm gonna pokeshift and use him for the next new game.
That means I've already got 2 shinies for my future team, MM'd shiny Tynamo & shiny Budew from chaining.

I post the Budew pic in the 4th gen thread. I rarely took pics of my chained shinies, so I decided to post it. It's not easy for me to get 40 chain again anyway.

GalladeTheGreat

2nd Gen Trainer
Congratz on the Trapinch! Still waiting for my Litwick, will update when I get him!

Next will be Charmander no doubt, always wanted a black Charizard.

Good luck to everyone else :D

2rsa

Shiny Hunter
I paused my shiny ponyta hunt on 416 eggs and started to hatched mienfoo eggs.
so far i hatched 90 eggs and collected 60 more to hatch later tonight.

2rsa

Shiny Hunter
Mods I'm sorry for double posting but this is urgent. XD
Finally I have my first shiny MM pokemon!!!
Only with 99 eggs .yay!!XD
I was so exited that i forgot to take a picture right after it hatched but here is a picture of its summery:
brqt2u41dywxvombd0nx.jpg

Its almost perfect!
Jolly/female/regenerator/31 attack and 31 defence stat.
i only wished it had 31 in speed but well i also obtained a really good mienfoo.
Jolly/male/regenerator/31/31/26/x/31/31
I wanted a Hp ice one but those are really hard to breed so he has fake out/u-turn/stone edge and high jump kick.
Now witch unova pokemon should i MM next?hmm.

Last edited:

SasakiThePikachu

like pepsi cola
I would just like to state that the fifth gen is the only gen so far where I haven't encountered a shiny by natural means. 2nd gen got my Tangela outside Mt Silver, 3rd was an Aron in Dewford Cave, 4th was a Zubat in the mines and a Machop in Safari Zone...but 5th gen? Nada.

Have got some RNGd shinies, but that's another matter ^^;

de_darkrai

I was so exited that i forgot to take a picture right after it hatched but here is a picture of its summery:
brqt2u41dywxvombd0nx.jpg

Its almost perfect!
Jolly/female/regenerator/31 attack and 31 defence stat.
i only wished it had 31 in speed but well i also obtained a really good mienfoo.
Jolly/male/regenerator/31/31/26/x/31/31
I wanted a Hp ice one but those are really hard to breed so he has fake out/u-turn/stone edge and high jump kick.
Now witch unova pokemon should i MM next?hmm.

I'm MMing Unova's Pokemon as well. at least for now. ;)

Master Leo

The Dark Side
^^ its about time you got your first mm shiny 2rsa haha.

In other news, i have postponed my snivy mm hunt to slightly re hunt on the route right across from route 1. Hoping for a scraggy to shine, but those herdier and watchog are too common for my taste...

Supremacy

Shiny Hunter
OMG? 358 eggs and my 4th shiny this month hatches! Its male, adamant nature and has defiant :D Got shiny Druddigon yesterday and now this, can't believe my luck right now. Btw gratz 2rsa on your first MM shiny, blue shinies ftw!

Collin.jpg

thetifftiff

I haven't been hatching many eggs, more focused on collecting them right now, but I did manage to get 15 buneary hatched today. I also finished collecting the next set of shinx eggs and ten stunky eggs. :3

Does anyone ever go back to Fourth Gen and Chain to get shinnys then bring them over?
I got a shinny Geodude which was Adamant then I lost my Diamond :'(

I still chain sometimes. I usually go back to it when I'm having a shiny drought. It makes it easier that I'm not getting any in fifth gen if I can still get some in fourth gen.

I say revenge koffing. Partially because I personally like blue shinies better and partially because I know how nice it is to get a shiny that got away from you (exploding voltorbs are evil). I'll get a pidgey to make up for my failed attempt at catching the very first legit shiny I've ever seen.

See, patience can pay off. :p It may not have been the same pokemon but you kept hunting nonetheless. I couldn't say anything negative about changing things up, I've found multihunting to make the whole process less tedious.

And you might just want to edit the last post next time you go to double post since you recognized you were doing that. >_>

2rsa

Shiny Hunter
Thank you everone.^-^
i'm planning to hunt oshawott next.:D
EDIT:
I started to MM Litwicks since i had 2 great parents.

Last edited:

dan2point5

Congrats on all recent shinies. Well done guys :)

I haven't hunted at all this week. Taking a little break for a while. When I get back to it though I think I'm gonna MM a 5th gen pokemon since I have no 5th gen shiny to my name. Now I've gotta decide which one. Hmmm...

AquaRegisteel

Face Oblivion
Zorua, Roggenrola and Axew are badboys to consider, they have amazing alt colours.

Though Munna is the easiest.

Anyways, I haven't been playing pokemon. Too much PES4 and Final Fantasy...

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
I got up extra early today to work on my Shiny Cofagrigus hunt some more. I've done 60 random encounters for it at the Relic Castle so far, and I plan on doing another 100 or so before the day is over. I did another Shiny trade last night, but I only got a Shiny Hoothoot from that. I'm going to do another Shiny trade later this afternoon, but I'm only going to get a Shiny Chinchou from that trade. I've already registered around 500 Shiny Pokemon in my Pokedex, but registering the last 100 will be tough.

pkmnbrawler123

<--- newest shiny :D
New, trying to get stuff worked out. Anyway I didn't even find a shiny until way after i learned about them. Found a shiny whismur in Emerald but the game was faulty and I lost it. I didn't get another until Platinum and I chained a shiny shinx. Then lost my game. D:

A while ago I started SRing for a shiny Rayquaza on SS and finally got it a few weeks ago. It took only about 600 SRs but I took a LONG break since starting. I finally reclaimed my shiny shinx on pearl the other day.

I'm MMing for a shiny dratini on white right now. I started yesterday and I hatched 80 eggs. I'm off to a good start and I'm at 95 today hoping to get to 150 or 200 today. I'm hoping to get it around 500 eggs so I'll see how it goes.

knight_6792

Emerald Kid
I've found two legit not cheated shinies and caught both. A Boldore and a foongus. The first battle I used Foongus in he got Pokérus.

Vandslaux

Good luck to everyone else's shiny hunting!

Currently at 290 Rotom eggs. This is so tedious!

Are you guys paranoid that your shinies will have wrong nature/bad IVs?

de_darkrai

320 for the MM Maractus...No luck on shiny one.

Status
Not open for further replies.