• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

5th Gen Shiny Discussion/FAQ Thread - Post once per page only!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bluebird55

Mr. Blue Skyyyy
I traded a DW Dratini for a Japanese Amoonguss, and the OT was Japanese and it's name is Japanese, but I heard that if it has 'J', then it's genuinely from Japan but it hasn't! Have I been scammed?

Dangertrout

I traded a DW Dratini for a Japanese Amoonguss, and the OT was Japanese and it's name is Japanese, but I heard that if it has 'J', then it's genuinely from Japan but it hasn't! Have I been scammed?

check your pokedex, the 'J' appears under the picture there

Hello everyone. Congratulations on recent shinies!
An update with my MM hunts. I have not had any luck with shinies for ages now so i am a bit lacking in motivation at the moment. No Cyndaquil, Shuckle, Gastly, Sandshrew, Buneary or anything else.

I am wondering what people do for thier MM hunts. I used to collected one or two boxes and then i would take two or three eggs from the box and the rest i would get new from the daycare man. I would save after gathering the box/es and soft reset and speak to the daycare man but i wouldn't do it with every few eggs so i wouldn't hatch ten and then soft reset. With people saying about "seeds" i was wondering if it really is worth soft resetting after the first five eggs and then hatch next five etc?

When I'm actually shiny hunting, I usually collect 300-400 eggs in one shot and then hatch them later. This time I'm hatching them as I go, so I can check IVs / improve the parent. With any luck, when I finally DO hit my shiny, it will have good stats and nature too :p

Still MMing my bulbasaur... 120 babies, no shiny

Last edited:

Bluebird55

Mr. Blue Skyyyy
Sod it, I can't see one.

But the Location of the OT was Japan..

Man, I really thought I had a MM :-(.

Master Leo

The Dark Side
In the black/white national dex, 5th gen pokes dont have foreign dex entries. so its okay if the J doesnt show up.

Bluebird55

Mr. Blue Skyyyy
Really? Then how do I know if it's MM approved? Do I just try and breed then?

Oh yes, and thank you for telling me Master Leo :-D.

Master Leo

The Dark Side
if its OT and name are jap, then its probably legit. I have a jap ditto, jap oshawott, jap archen, and french snivy and they all worked fine :)

Bluebird55

Mr. Blue Skyyyy
Ok thank you I got a Blitzle just now too :).

2rsa

Shiny Hunter
Reached 1100 eggs.I'm a little bit tiered of collecting eggs so i'm using my old method(hatching five at a time).

Zormon

Reached 1100 eggs.I'm a little bit tiered of collecting eggs so i'm using my old method(hatching five at a time).

How long did it take you to get to 1,100 eggs? I'm nearing to 100 now and I started last night. This is tedius but I want my first shiny (disregarding the red Gyarados).

Is hatching a lot and then storing them quicker than just hatching five at a time? I am using a Japanese Ditto, so collecting eggs sometimes take a fair amount of time while sometimes very quick.

Calamity Lynn

Lady Breeds-a-Lot
How long did it take you to get to 1,100 eggs? I'm nearing to 100 now and I started last night. This is tedius but I want my first shiny (disregarding the red Gyarados).

Is hatching a lot and then storing them quicker than just hatching five at a time? I am using a Japanese Ditto, so collecting eggs sometimes take a fair amount of time while sometimes very quick.

It's the same speed whether you stockpile eggs or hatch them 5 at a time and box them. It's all up to preference. However, if you're using a ditto and not breeding a high step-count pokemon, it's probably easiest just to gather 5 eggs at a time, hatch them and box them.

Or, if you're not interested in the non-shiny babies, save your game before picking up the first egg, gather five, hatch them, and if there isn't a shiny, reset your game.

Bluebird55

Mr. Blue Skyyyy
Don't forget the Flash Fire ability or the other one :) I've hatched 8 eggs with cottonee but still no luck, I'm not giving up though :).

Lubu195

Pokemon Collector
Just got AR to help me speed up the process of breeding and for cloning :) going through eggs faster just means finding my shiny's faster.

still looking into mm searching next for a shiny ponyta,eevee, or vulpix since i dont got my Jap houndour yet

Terra Force

<-- Current Hunt
Just got AR to help me speed up the process of breeding and for cloning :) going through eggs faster just means finding my shiny's faster.

still looking into mm searching next for a shiny ponyta,eevee, or vulpix since i dont got my Jap houndour yet

So your pretty much cheating?

Schautzie

Still trying for shiny zorua , up to 900 eggs now .....

richm88

shiny hunter
Still trying for shiny zorua , up to 900 eggs now .....

how you have the patience to hatch 900 eggs i dont know...,im on about 50 eggs trying to hatch a shiny staryu

2rsa

Shiny Hunter

I think its a week.i'm hatching 120 eggs every day.the method of hatching has nothing to do with speed.i'm just not patience with collecting eggs.XD

King91

I'm all fired up!
Got my Reuniclus in 376 eggs not sure what my next target will be, think I'll take a break from MM'ing for a little while, then possibly try for a Charmander or something. Good luck to everyone else with their hunts!

Last edited:

Togetictoc

I'm no Fairy.
New account = Infos

FYI I've got OSHD (Obsessive Shiny Hunting Dissorder )

I've transferred most of my Shinies from gen IV - Versions to my Gen V Game cartridges.
Pokemon Black :
Shiny Togetic ( Caught in White Forest then Swapped to Black )
Shiny Emboar ( SRed for this one )
Pokemon White :
Shiny Togekiss ( Was IV breeding, then landed on a 31 Spe, 31 SpA, 30 HP; 21-29 other stats BEAUTY :D Wasn't even Shiny Hunting, but one of the high IV Togetics was from a foreign version, so that probably contributed )
Shiny Volcarona ( SRed in White )
Shiny Moltres ( SRed in LG )
Shiny Raikou ( Event )
Shiny Suicune ( Event )
Shiny Entei ( Event )
Shiny Lugia ( SRed in SS )
Shiny Ho-Oh ( SRed in HG )
Shiny Latias ( SRed in SS )
Shiny Azumarill ( MMed in SS )
Shiny Gyarados ( Who hasn't got it )
Shiny Quilava ( SRed in SS )
Shiny Magikarp ( REd in HG , that was the most annoying shiny ever. Just caught the shiny Gyarados in HG 2 days earlier )
Shiny Gulpin ( RE in HG or SS, can't remember )
Shiny Swalot ( RE in Sapphire )
Shiny Dragonair ( MMed in SS )
Shiny Dusclops ( REd in Hoenn, can't remember which Version )
Shiny Relicanth ( REd in Sapphire )
Shiny Milotic ( Event )
Shiny Eevee ( Event - Brought it from a friend )
Shiny Chandelure ( REd in White when everyone was hunting for them ages ago in Celestial Tower ( On this forum ) )
Shiny Litwick ( MMed in White )
Shiny Blissey ( Accidentally Bred )
Shiny Porygon-Z ( No Idea how I got this one )
Shiny Darumaka ( MMed in White )
Shiny Gulpix ( MMed in Pearl )
Shiny Pinsir ( REd in HG or SS, can't remember )
Shiny Totodile ( SRed in SS )

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.