• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

5th Gen Shiny Discussion/FAQ Thread - Post once per page only!

Status
Not open for further replies.

2rsa

Shiny Hunter
^
Wow you have so many SR shinies.I'm not patient with SRing.what was your longest and shortest SR?:D

Togetictoc

I'm no Fairy.
RNGing is gibberish to me, and I loathe the idea of using action replays so i have no choice x)
Shortest was 12 SRs ( One of my 2 Shiny Ho-Ohs )
Longest was over 2000, (I counted to 2000 then stopped counting) and was a shiny Cyndaquil.

Lubu195

Pokemon Collector
RNGing is gibberish to me, and I loathe the idea of using action replays so i have no choice x)
Longest was over 2000, (I counted to 2000 then stopped counting) and was a shiny Cyndaquil.

well i dont think RNGing involves action replay but AR is very helpful in my opinion with cloning and speeding up processes like egg hatching when u got thousands of eggs to hatch you will be thanking it lol. Anyway my next mm hunt is going to be Vulpix hope it goes just as well as my litwick hunt lol

2rsa

Shiny Hunter

You are really lucky.it seems you had lots of short SR hunts.i'm hunting Rayquaza in HG right now.hope it'll shine before i give up.

TheShinyLunatone

VAMPIRE LORDS!
havent been able to hunt because i've been babysitting,
currently really pissed off because some ******* accused me of starting the RNG vs MM argument thing and called me stupid...
amazing how brave ppl can be behinfd a screen^^

dan2point5

Currently @ 2,200 RE's on Route 3 and no luck so far. Really hoping for Blitzle now. When this hunt is over I think I'm gonna get back to MM'ing. Got a couple of hunts ready so I'll be able to get straight into it.

TheMaster327

So, does anyone have a foriegn female DW Tangela? I require one for my next MM hunt. Steelix is now done. Level 89 and part of my team! Realized I now have no effective Water counter until I have added Tangrowth to my team, so... yeah.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
I finally hatched that Shiny Cubchoo that I've been after for two months. I was hatching eggs this morning when it happened; I nicknamed it Charles. It took almost 3,500 eggs to get to this point, but it could've been worse. I'm glad that I can finally put this hunt to rest. I've already planned my next Shiny hunt, but I've decided not to use the Masuda Method again for a long time. Anyways, I've also done a few more Shiny trades recently; I've gotten a Shiny Tauros, a Shiny Mankey and a Shiny Scizor this week, and I plan on getting a few more Shinies this weekend.

Chibi_Muffin

Smart Cookie
Wow, didn't think I'd be posting here again so soon!

Well, as you know, I have been hatching Deino, and I was getting a bit concerned, as Deino takes a fairly long time to hatch, and knowing my luck, I'd be spending ages as I would reach 1,000. However, perhaps as a reward, fate decided to shine on me today, as after just 382 eggs - my shortest MM hunt ever - the little hatchling had lovely green scales! ^_^

Even more of a surprise, is that this Deino is a first among my 5th gen Shinies... Because this one is a girl! Strange how both my MM females are the pseudo legendary Dragon Pokemon (actually, my chained Bagon is a girl too... Huh). Her name is Mocha, and she is Careful natured and throughly cunning - decent potential, with fantastic Special Attack. Ah well, I can hardly complain. =)

I'll be going for a 3rd gen shiny next, Mudkip to be more specific. Good luck and congrats to all hunters out there, especially Master327, for your Onix! =D

Sabconth

Kanto Ranger
Been wanting this shiny for a while now, finally got it today;

HNI_0014-1.jpg

If this luck keeps up I'll have my whole box full sooner than I thought.

TheShinyLunatone

VAMPIRE LORDS!
I finally hatched that Shiny Cubchoo that I've been after for two months. I was hatching eggs this morning when it happened; I nicknamed it Charles. It took almost 3,500 eggs to get to this point, but it could've been worse. I'm glad that I can finally put this hunt to rest. I've already planned my next Shiny hunt, but I've decided not to use the Masuda Method again for a long time. Anyways, I've also done a few more Shiny trades recently; I've gotten a Shiny Tauros, a Shiny Mankey and a Shiny Scizor this week, and I plan on getting a few more Shinies this weekend.

FINALLY!! great going

Porridge Beast

I've recently started a Drought Vulpix MM hunt and have a few questions. If I'm on an American cartridge, willl breeding a French with Japanese pokemon still result in the increased shiny chance? Secondly, if my female Drought Vulpix is holding a Power Anklet and the other is holding a different Power item, will both IVs get passed on or will the game choose just one? And, will power items affect the chance of shininess or getting the DW ability?

Sorry if these are obvious questions and congrats on everyones recent shiny luck.

☭Secret_Shocker☭

I had a jackpot on catching a shiny Volcarona, and up to now I'm still using it. My first shiny in BW so far.

Mavm

i was training some pokemon in route 1 ( ev training) ...

and a shiny patrat appears.

now i have one ... xD

Last edited:

dewey911p

primus inter pares
havent been able to hunt because i've been babysitting,
currently really pissed off because some ******* accused me of starting the RNG vs MM argument thing and called me stupid...
amazing how brave ppl can be behind a screen^^

If thats my fault then I'm sorry. I wasnt trying to start anything when i mentioned RNGing i was just trying to help and answer some questions. I hope i havent caused you any trouble

If I'm on an American cartridge, willl breeding a French with Japanese pokemon still result in the increased shiny chance?

Yes, it doesnt matter what game cart you have, the parents just need to be from different language game carts.

Secondly, if my female Drought Vulpix is holding a Power Anklet and the other is holding a different Power item, will both IVs get passed on or will the game choose just one?

iirc using 2 power items results in Random IV transfer. If you use 2 then the game will randomly choose which one to pass down. Also, there is a chance the game wont pass down either one! So its best to use only one power item. the best way to do this would be to have a flawless parent and another parent with 1-2 flawless IVs. Put the power item on the parent with the 1-2 flawless IVs then hope you get 3 IVs from the flawless Parent. This will give you 4 flawless IVs at a minimum (if your luck) and then the other 2 would be random.

And, will power items affect the chance of shininess or getting the DW ability?

No to both.

~Sam~

Trader and Battler
at like 337 eggs for roggenrolla i hope i get it soon

dewey911p

primus inter pares
Hey Dewey i have a question.^-^
what actions may skip a shiny frame?

not exactly sure what you mean by "skip" but i assume you just mean advance :p Well, if you have the C-gear on then your PID frame (which controls for nature, ability, gender, and, in combination with your ID/SID, shininess) advances by ~1.2/sec (if iirc) or about 60 frames a minute. If you walk in grass or any area with wild pokemon then the PID frame advances by one for each step you take (it might be 2, i dont remember exactly). Getting into a battle advances the PID frame by about 120 frames/sec. Rain advances it by about 60/sec. Snow advances the PID by 260 frames once you enter the are (and only once), sandstorms advance the PID frame uncontrollably, as do Wandering Non-Playable Characters (WNPCs). And finally, viewing Chatot's summary when you have a custom chatter advances the PID frame by one. For breeding purposes though, the only thing that will advance the PID frame is that 1 WNPC and if you have the C-gear on (assuming you avoid the grass). In fact, that is probably the only reason there is a WNPC on route 3, otherwise you would keep getting the exact same pokemon with every egg b/c, without your C-gear on, the PID frame wouldnt change at all (but the IVs would). Now specifically for shiny PID frames, well those are random to each seed and there is no way to know what frame is shiny and what frame isnt unless you try and control for it. Its still all up to luck to hit your shiny frame and its still up to luck to determine if a shiny frame is low, or high.

Status
Not open for further replies.