• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

5th Gen Shiny Discussion/FAQ Thread - Post once per page only!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dewey911p

primus inter pares
^
Thanks.I guess i'll never learn how to RNG.:/

lol if it makes you feel better the hardest part about RNGing is learning :p its really pretty easy once you know how to do it (which is why a lot of those against it dislike it) and after you learn its pretty much the same thing over and over, just with different pokemon. It doesnt take as long as regular breeding, but some would argue that it doesnt have that same feeling of accomplishment either. If you do want to learn to RNG though Serebii has a RNG help thread with walkthroughs, videos and very nice users who are pretty helpful :)

richm88

shiny hunter
on about 120 eggs hatched for a shiny staryu,getting a bit lame now,i dont know how you people have the patience,im thinkin of making hundreds of eggs and then using the passpower that makes them hatch really fast for an hour

Bluebird55

Mr. Blue Skyyyy
on about 120 eggs hatched for a shiny staryu,getting a bit lame now,i dont know how you people have the patience,im thinkin of making hundreds of eggs and then using the passpower that makes them hatch really fast for an hour

I agree, I'm first time for MM and I'm about 50+ (I lost count) of Cottonee, surely it can't be that ridiculous? But I suppose it's all the excitement :).

TheShinyLunatone

VAMPIRE LORDS!
If thats my fault then I'm sorry. I wasnt trying to start anything when i mentioned RNGing i was just trying to help and answer some questions. I hope i havent caused you any trouble

Yes, it doesnt matter what game cart you have, the parents just need to be from different language game carts.

iirc using 2 power items results in Random IV transfer. If you use 2 then the game will randomly choose which one to pass down. Also, there is a chance the game wont pass down either one! So its best to use only one power item. the best way to do this would be to have a flawless parent and another parent with 1-2 flawless IVs. Put the power item on the parent with the 1-2 flawless IVs then hope you get 3 IVs from the flawless Parent. This will give you 4 flawless IVs at a minimum (if your luck) and then the other 2 would be random.

No to both.

naahhhhh, ppl r stupid regardless of who really started s do not sweat it^^

dan2point5

Grrrr, been dual encountering for a couple of days and didn't wanna turn off any DS. I wake up this morning and apparently the battery died on one even though it appeared more than sufficiently charged before putting it in stand by last night. Dunno if I can be bothered to continue now.

2rsa

Shiny Hunter
I'm @ 1340 eggs for my shiny Charmander but i'm really getting tiered.:/
My boxes are full so i need to clean them first.

Lubu195

Pokemon Collector
I just started wondering if you obtain a foreign pokemon and then clone it from your game will the clone work for MMing still?

Nakashima

I've just started a Treecko hunt, currently at 443 SR's, so obviously nothing yet ^^ Decided on this hunt because I had all my R/S/E games at the start of the game and wanted to have something to hunt live. At the side I'm still doing my Secret Hunt, which is slowly progressing and is now at 2282 SR's. Then there's my hunt for Entei/Raikou, which is just a really slow hunt as each SR takes around 5 minutes. That hunt is sitting at 213, and I actually think that's quite big for that hunt already..

aclover

VICTORiOUS
Still on my Shiny Tympole hunt! :/
I'm on about 5000 RE's, with one found (and sadly killed) and One Shiny Timburr Encountered (and Caught).

I just wish it'd show up!
unless someone can magic me up one!

Shiny Lord

1365 eggs for sandile and still no shiny! Hope it shines soon.

thetifftiff

I'm back to hunting after about two months of hiatus. I think I needed that break. Though I did read the rest of the thread from my last post to motivate myself, and I can tell you that the suspense goes away when I can read your signatures and see that you got the pokemon you were hunting already. :p Congrats to all who haven finished hunts recently. :3

Saturday I hatched 65 shinx, finishing off my current batch of them (and bringing me to 300 shinx hatched) and Sunday I hatched 65 stunky, bringing me to 265 stunky hatched so far. My multi-hunt total is apparently now at 1,765. Not great but not awful.

I find it interesting there have been so many people asking about others' method of hatching eggs as of late. Personally I've found you've got to play around until you find which is best for you. I know that if I spend too much time gathering eggs I get bored and if I don't gather enough eggs before hatching I get frustrated. I don't know how people manage with hatching five and then SRing, I'd never be able to keep track of the amount I've hatched.

iirc using 2 power items results in Random IV transfer. If you use 2 then the game will randomly choose which one to pass down. Also, there is a chance the game wont pass down either one! So its best to use only one power item. the best way to do this would be to have a flawless parent and another parent with 1-2 flawless IVs. Put the power item on the parent with the 1-2 flawless IVs then hope you get 3 IVs from the flawless Parent. This will give you 4 flawless IVs at a minimum (if your luck) and then the other 2 would be random.

Do you have a source for that possibility of getting none? Every thing I've read and all of my experience since the power items started affecting breeding tells me that you are guaranteed at least one of the two stats if you give both parents different power items. I'm curious now as to whether or not I've been giving people false information on that one.

Though it's still not the best of ideas because it's a 50-50 chance of either nature. If one is noticeably more important to you then it's best to stick to that one.

Grrrr, been dual encountering for a couple of days and didn't wanna turn off any DS. I wake up this morning and apparently the battery died on one even though it appeared more than sufficiently charged before putting it in stand by last night. Dunno if I can be bothered to continue now.

Oh dear. D: Never, ever leave your DS for too long in standby unless you are going to put it on the charger. :c

I think you should keep trying, but that's just my opinion. Show that DS battery that it can't control you. :3

dewey911p

primus inter pares
Do you have a source for that possibility of getting none? Every thing I've read and all of my experience since the power items started affecting breeding tells me that you are guaranteed at least one of the two stats if you give both parents different power items. I'm curious now as to whether or not I've been giving people false information on that one.

Though it's still not the best of ideas because it's a 50-50 chance of either nature. If one is noticeably more important to you then it's best to stick to that one.

Unfortunately i dont have a concrete source. It was something i have read before but i cant seem to find it again, it must have been on one of the forums here. the best i can offer as proof is that it might have happened to me once (that was the "iirc" part lol) Back when i was breeding (see, i tried it once upon a time myself :p) i was using power items for both parents and i believe i had an egg that didnt have either IVs passed down. I remember being surprised at this, but this was so long ago that i cant say with 100% certainty. I do know for sure though that at best its a 50/50 chance for which IV is passed down.

I'll see if i can dig up more information for you

Lubu195

Pokemon Collector
Started my vulpix hunt today and so far nothing but I'm not that far in the hunt so i wasn't expecting anything but i just hope it don't take in the thousands. I do got a question tho. From what it seems that i been reading you have 1 chance to catch a shiny every time u start up the game or C-Gear. So Really it would be best to fill up a few boxes only and then restart and do it again cause u could of missed the shiny chance already right ?

dewey911p

primus inter pares
Started my vulpix hunt today and so far nothing but I'm not that far in the hunt so i wasn't expecting anything but i just hope it don't take in the thousands. I do got a question tho. From what it seems that i been reading you have 1 chance to catch a shiny every time u start up the game or C-Gear. So Really it would be best to fill up a few boxes only and then restart and do it again cause u could of missed the shiny chance already right ?

not quite. the chances of getting a shiny are 1/8192 or something like that. this means that, on average, for every 8192 frames on a seed, there will only be one shiny PID frame. Now of course that doesnt mean frame 1 is shiny then frame 8192 is shiny etc, etc. This just means that the average probability is 1/8192. Im not sure how many PID frames a seed has, but each seed has several shiny frames randomly placed. For example, im currently trying to RNG an Aerodactyl and my first shiny frame is 90. the next shiny frame is 92 and the next is 4786. On this seed i have a total of 21 shiny frames (displaying only 100,000 frames of the seed) and so if i hit this seed naturally i would have at least 21 chances to nail a shiny. So its not that there is only on chance to get a shiny each time you start the game, its just that the chances are far and few between. Also, it is very possible that the first shiny frame is on frame 5, and since the starting PID frame is ~50 you would miss you first shiny just by turning on the game. I would say the best method for hatching shiny pokemon is to do what everyone seems to be doing and that is to collect a lot of eggs at one time without turning you game off.

Just to give everyone an idea of how the shiny PID frames are spaced I'll list all 21 PID frames that would get me a shiny. It's fair to say that this would be a random seed anyone could hit just by starting there game but each seed is different so there could be more or less shiny frames each time. Also, I'm not using the MM method so this is representative of a standard breed. My shiny frames are:

if i was using the MM method the frames would be in the same place, there would just be more clustered around them.

Master Leo

The Dark Side
^ makin my head spin....

but anyhoo, i just caught groudon in soulsilver, so rayquaza may be my next hunt. been watching a lot of "live encouter shiny rayquaza" vids on youtube and its got me motivated. also doing a sr hunt for bulbasaur in leafgreen, but only at 100 sr's for that.

Lubu195

Pokemon Collector
That's it I'm going to learn this RNGing thing cause this is crazy what they did with this game and i question how people learned this stuff prob hacking and looking at the code or something i wish i saw the code it prob a lot easier to learn. Right now I'm just getting 2-3 boxes of eggs at a time then hatching instead of the filling up 20 boxes full lol

dewey911p

primus inter pares
That's it I'm going to learn this RNGing thing cause this is crazy what they did with this game and i question how people learned this stuff prob hacking and looking at the code or something i wish i saw the code it prob a lot easier to learn. Right now I'm just getting 2-3 boxes of eggs at a time then hatching instead of the filling up 20 boxes full lol

tbqh, i dont really know what the process was that was used to debug the games and the DS but i do know that there is no way to have figured out the method of the RNG without looking at the code. You would have to ask Bond or Kaphotics how exactly they went about debugging the games but i believe it involved an emulator, some expensive computer software, and an extensive knowledge of computer programming that would either require an advanced degree in computer science, or a real passion for programming. from there, once they figured out how the game worked OmegaDonut (i dont know if thats how its spelled) programmed RNG reporter which is akin to a calculator. All it does is take the stats from you game (each game cart and DS have their own parameters that need to be used) and run through the algorithm the game uses so that you know what the game will produce when you get an egg, or meet a wild pokemon. From there the rest falls to the player to hit the seed, advance the frames, and get the pokemon. Its a lot faster then MMing for shinnies and the IVs are always flawless (if you want them to be any way) but thats exactly why some people dislike RNGing and think its unethical/cheating.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.