• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

5th Gen Shiny Discussion/FAQ Thread - Post once per page only!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terra Force

<-- Current Hunt
REing is my favorite. And it's fastest if you can use multiple games. My least favorite is MMing.

rykerr1

The Great Gublet
Hey everyone =) I haven't posted on here in a couple weeks, so congrats on all recent shinies (especially Treecko; Sceptile is my favorite shiny). I'm up to 1095 eggs on my Eevee hunt; I took a short break to EV train a few shinies (Pidove, Lillipup, and Larvitar #1) and now I'm going to start collecting another 360 eggs to hatch.

As for my favorite method, I love both SRing and MMing (can't decide between the two). SRing requires a lot less concentration and I can get shiny legendaries that way, but MMing allows me to get good natures, IV's, and egg moves. I have had much better luck with SRing though as far as speed.

Jessara

Shiny Hunter
Been a while since I've posted on these forums. Last night I was hatching Snivy eggs (had 300 all up in my PC). I got to the end of the second box to find a cute shiny Snivy :) I have been after one of these for quite some time. Took me 813 eggs by MM to get him.

IMG_0749.jpg

Youtube: http://youtu.be/1PwEouHSoy0

Last edited:

needsalimegreenespeon

Shine, Eevee, shine!
Great job on the shiny Snivy! Wish I had your luck!

I've got the oddest sense of... foreboding... I get the feeling in the pit of my stomach, that my Eevee will hatch. Soon. I've dreamt about shiny Eevee's prancing about in my dreams. The name appears in my writing. Will my two year journey finally be over? Hmm.... I wonder what I'll do after she hatches... I'll be giving it some thought...

Lightning Dragon

LIGHTNING FLIGHT!!!!
I got lucky last year and caught a shiny swellow in black with a ground only user Excadrill

Last edited:
Hello. I haven't posted in a while so I decided to. I put my Bulbasaur hunt on hold so I could SR for Mewtwo in my SS. Bad news is that I reseted over one while watching The Big Bang Theory on DVD. :( So I'm back on the hunt. Wish me luck!

Silverwynde

My Sweet Guardian
Hello. I haven't posted in a while so I decided to. I put my Bulbasaur hunt on hold so I could SR for Mewtwo in my SS. Bad news is that I reseted over one while watching The Big Bang Theory on DVD. :( So I'm back on the hunt. Wish me luck!
Oof, that stings. I nearly did the same thing while hunting for a shiny Lugia on SS. Thankfully, I caught myself in time.

Currently, I'm MMing for a shiny Golett. I've hatched 1,970 eggs and gotten nothing yet, but I'm not giving up. Hey, it took me 8 months to hatch a shiny Roselia on Emerald--I can do this!

thetifftiff

I've been slacking in the hatching department today; I've only finished fifteen growlithe eggs so far today. I spent more time gathering and boxing stunky eggs. I also did 100 SRs in Pearl, so I guess I've gotten more work on fourth gen hunts than fifth gen hunts today.

hey there! was up? i hate hw it sucks.
i have hatched nearly 8 boxes now. releasinfg thems gona be fubn!(NOT!) seriously... Gamefreak, mass release!!

Unless you're saving them up to check for good IVs, I'd recommend releasing them right after hatching. It's a lot less time consuming. D: Or at least it feels like it is.

The GTS can usually help you with this. When I offer things on the GTS, I'll usually get a japanese pokemon by my 6th trade. Hope that helps a little.

You can also search for pokemon by the country of the person offering. And remember that Japanese isn't the only language that works. A lot of the things I put up get traded for French Pokemon.

REing is my favorite. And it's fastest if you can use multiple games. My least favorite is MMing.

Chaining would be my favorite. I really wish they had brought it back, I can get so many shinies that way.

Great job on the shiny Snivy! Wish I had your luck!

I've got the oddest sense of... foreboding... I get the feeling in the pit of my stomach, that my Eevee will hatch. Soon. I've dreamt about shiny Eevee's prancing about in my dreams. The name appears in my writing. Will my two year journey finally be over? Hmm.... I wonder what I'll do after she hatches... I'll be giving it some thought...

I really hope so. You deserve a whole family of shiny female eevee at this point.

Bluebird55

Mr. Blue Skyyyy
It all knuckles down to chance, not that I'm putting any one down or anything.

I might have a crack at REing, I've been seeing some Lillipups popping up around where I go for the egg farming so I'll go from there (along with other ones :-D ).

Wish me luck and good luck to you guys, I know (along with everyone else) you can do it!

dan2point5

That sucks about SRing over shiny Mewtwo. There's no way I could carry on the hunt after that. Hell, I'd struggle to even play the game ever again!

Congrats on shiny Snivy and good luck to everyone else. Might box up some eggs later if I've nothing to do.

Bluebird55

Mr. Blue Skyyyy
I've had a change of plan - I'm going for Lillipup MM, and then Cottonee maybe.

Tommyb2405

not done much hatching in the past couple of days... hoping for Eevee to shine soon. Bad thing is that i need 8 shiny eevees haha will crack on with it during the week :)

Dangertrout

awesome on the shiny treecko. i am at 400 sr's for shiny bulbasaur. Its quite funny, i have noticed that i talk about more other games more than my white version in this thread.

I have a question. After i got my shiny cyndaquil, i literally fell in love with soft reseting. I actually like it better than MM and RE. What is your favorite shiny method?

aha! so you admit breaking the rules! Naughty Master Leo. *waggles finger disapprovingly*
Not that it matters, I think the rules in this thread flew out the window a long time ago from what I've read this month. :p
Anyways, I prefer MMing. I like having egg moves and being able to control the nature / IVs to a certain extent. RE's are nice when you're just playing through the game, but they've never had good IVs or even a decent nature in my experience. Always +attack on special attack based pokemon, or +speed on defensive ones for me. >.<

You can also search for pokemon by the country of the person offering. And remember that Japanese isn't the only language that works. A lot of the things I put up get traded for French Pokemon.

That's true, but sometimes people in Japan will be trading away english pokemon they traded for. You need to pay attention to the OT of the pokemon more than the location you're trading from.
The reason I go for japanese pokemon over french is it's easier to pick out japanese OTs. Even if they use english names, the characters are spaced a little differently from other games.

Heliotrope

it shone! ^_^
I just hatched a shiny Pansear in my UK Black after 914 eggs! n_n

It's the first shiny I've found in this game, and my first English 5th gen Masuda Method shiny (all the others have been hatched in my Japanese Black).

It's male, Timid natured like I wanted, has nasty plot as an egg move, and its characteristic is 'mischievous', so I'm hoping it'll have some nice IV's.

Now I have to think of a new target to hunt for. I did start hatching for a shiny DW Bagon a while ago, so I might continue with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.