• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

5th Gen Shiny Discussion/FAQ Thread - Post once per page only!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Master Leo

The Dark Side
Just hit 8,800 SR's for shiny Bulbasaur. Maybe I will be the next person to get one :)

PoryGone222

So nothing came out of the 11 boxes. Taking a break on hatching eggs and doing a RE hunt in Wellspring Cave. I don't care what I get; Roggenrola, Woobat, and even potentially Drilbur are all fine shinies

Last edited:

~EternalDarkness~

Ghost Type User
I've slacked off on my Relic Castle hunt, I've only done 700 encounters over the past 2 days bringing me to 2700 overall. I haven't bothered hatching any of the Squirtle eggs I stocked a few days ago either :/. I've been more focused on my first ever SR hunt on Soulsilver for Dratini, currently at 550 SR's and counting. I've been collecting 5 at a time so I hope at this rate it doesn't drag on for ages.

Sorry for the rant...

Congrats Dangertrout on your Bulbasaur and good luck Master Leo, hopefully your's will come soon :).

Dangertrout

Thanks ~EternalDarkness~ =) (though I'm still a little sad that it wasn't a female and I failed to achieve the longest hunt >.<)
Good luck on your Dratini hunt!
And good luck to everyone else in their hunts as well!

In the end, I decided to do Squirtle next. Maybe this time I can reach over 9000! :p
at around 300 so far

EmiiLava

Joltik Queen <3
Ama~zing news! I'm allowed by my parents to shiny hunt again! :D I'm masuda methoding for a shiny lillipup atm in honor of my ability to shiny hunt again! :D 12 boxes so far filled with lillipup eggs so i'm hoping it will shine after the max amout of boxes are filled with eggs! :D Good luck to everyone on their hunts and congratz on the new shinies everyone! ;D

2rsa

Shiny Hunter
omg!OMG!
I was playing through my old HG game(the one i got shiny Chikorita on christmas) and i was trying to catch Lugia.guess what!He was shiny!!!!!^-^
He has a relaxed nature and really crapy IVs but i don't care.He is my first shiny legendary(other than the jap shiny Rayquaza event).
Here are some pictures before and after i transferred him to Pokemon Black:
cpg6zrtkw77lts3xu64g.jpg

031ksinf37u6vujri0em.jpg

Last edited:

EmeraldPhoenix

Shiny Hunter
Congrats on the shinies everyone!

Especially the Lugia and the Clamperl... both shinies I want very badly. I've got a Huntail on my White in a box I've set aside for MM breeding stock... can't wait to start on one of them soon!

I'm closing in on 200 encounters in Relic Castle, and even though I know full well that the trainer card keeps track of encounters, it only just hit me that it would be so much easier to keep track of encounters that way, rather than tallying them up on a pad of paper like I do for SRs... -sigh-

I'm still pretty determined to get that Shiny Skarmory on my Pearl though... next chance I have to sit and chain I'm going for it again.

Good luck everyone, row row fight da powah!

Heliotrope

it shone! ^_^
Wow. I have been having an amazing amount of luck these past few days. O_O

On the 26th I found a shiny Heatran in Pearl on the way home from my holiday, then I found a shiny Spiritomb a few hours later. And then yesterday I found my 2nd Heart Gold Badge Quest shiny, a Hoothoot.

And now today, I've found my 3rd BQ shiny... a shiny Metapod after only 40 encounters. So that's four 1/8192 shinies in only three days. I wonder if this luck will continue? ^_^

Here's some videos of my new shinies:

Shiny Spiritomb + Heatran
Shiny Hoothoot
Shiny Metapod

Good luck to everyone else that's hunting, and congrats on new shinies.

YNCRN

Egg 125!
Starting to get frustrated.

I have a male Houndour holding onto a Brace to pass down Sp AT&T, and a Japanese Ditto holding an Everstone to pass down its Timid nature, and of my first ten eggs only one has been Timid.

Shouldn't about half be Timid? I thought, with all the reading I've done, that you could pass down the nature from a Japanese Ditto and a stat from Houndour in a Gen V game?

Dangertrout

Starting to get frustrated.

I have a male Houndour holding onto a Brace to pass down Sp AT&T, and a Japanese Ditto holding an Everstone to pass down its Timid nature, and of my first ten eggs only one has been Timid.

Shouldn't about half be Timid? I thought, with all the reading I've done, that you could pass down the nature from a Japanese Ditto and a stat from Houndour in a Gen V game?

it's not like the game will make every second egg Timid. You're just having a little string of bad luck. When I get that sort of scenario, soon after I get 10 with the right nature in a row. Just give it some time =)

ShadowedXHunted

Banned Trainer
I haven't posted in awhile, and really have no news but...

Anyone else pissed about the Darkrai event being gift-only material? I wanted to Soft Reset for this sucker since I have one already from the D/P days *tear*

This just happened to me today!

I was trying to get a decent Zoura with a good nature using the pairing of a male Houndoom and a Japanese female Zoura. After about 20 or so egg hatches...

A shiny Zoura hatched out of an egg!

I can't believe it! This my first shiny encounter in Pokemon White!

Next im going for a shiny Axew using the same method! Let's go!!!

KantoMasta

call me KM!
Ok, getting bored of hatching eggs, so im gonna take a brak and RE some stuff. Lillipup and Patrat have some cool looking shiny sprites, so im gonna go to route 1. Wish me luck!

zyonasan

ok, I've been looking at some shiny hunting videos on youtube and there is something thats really bothering me. Why are people hunting in the safari zone? If anything that should be the absolute last place you want to hunt. and if the pokemon is only available in the safaris zone you're better off just catching one and hatching eggs.

and thats another thing. I think the priority for everyone should be to get a Japanese ditto. I like finding wild shinies but it is slightly disheartening to find a shiny ghastly only to find out that its adamant or some other useless nature. Using the masuda method with power items/everstone makes shiny hunting so much more rewarding. The same goes for legendaries too. You may not have a choice in IV's but if you can at least have a ralts or abra with the desired nature (and synchronize) at the lead in your party that really makes things better (even if there's no guarantee).

Dangertrout

ok, I've been looking at some shiny hunting videos on youtube and there is something thats really bothering me. Why are people hunting in the safari zone? If anything that should be the absolute last place you want to hunt. and if the pokemon is only available in the safaris zone you're better off just catching one and hatching eggs.

and thats another thing. I think the priority for everyone should be to get a Japanese ditto. I like finding wild shinies but it is slightly disheartening to find a shiny ghastly only to find out that its adamant or some other useless nature. Using the masuda method with power items/everstone makes shiny hunting so much more rewarding. The same goes for legendaries too. You may not have a choice in IV's but if you can at least have a ralts or abra with the desired nature (and synchronize) at the lead in your party that really makes things better (even if there's no guarantee).

There are many reasons why someone would choose random encounters over breeding. Some people find hatching eggs really boring, so RE is more appealing because at least you can train some of your pokemon at the same time.
Also, with REs you can control which pokeball is used. That's one of the reasons Safari Zone is popular, its the only place you can use that particular pokeball.

And in breeding, using a foreign ditto is simpler, but you can't pass on DW abilities.

YNCRN

Egg 125!
Hatched 120 Houndour eggs last night - no shiny yet.

After my first 15 eggs I had only 2 with a Timid nature, and I was convinced something was going wrong, but then the Timid natures started arriving, so the Everstone with the Japanese Ditto is working.

After hatching 120 eggs I decided that I wanted the IV's of my Timid Ditto to be a bit higher, so I switched back to the Japanese Soul Silver and caught 15 more. I think 7 of them were Timid so I'll run them through Pokecheck tonight to find out their IV's, transfer the strongest one back to White, and keep going with the hatching.

Does Pokecheck determine exact IV's of a Pokemon even if it's level 1?

Dangertrout

Hatched 120 Houndour eggs last night - no shiny yet.

After my first 15 eggs I had only 2 with a Timid nature, and I was convinced something was going wrong, but then the Timid natures started arriving, so the Everstone with the Japanese Ditto is working.

After hatching 120 eggs I decided that I wanted the IV's of my Timid Ditto to be a bit higher, so I switched back to the Japanese Soul Silver and caught 15 more. I think 7 of them were Timid so I'll run them through Pokecheck tonight to find out their IV's, transfer the strongest one back to White, and keep going with the hatching.

Does Pokecheck determine exact IV's of a Pokemon even if it's level 1?

Generally, I wait till about 30 eggs before worrying about the everstone not working.
In regards to pokecheck, I believe it does. I'm not 100% sure though, since I've never used it myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.