• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

5th Gen Shiny Discussion/FAQ Thread - Post once per page only!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Floette

Fennekin
I have never had a shiny pokemon and this is unacceptable. I always end up quitting my MM hunts because they drag on absolutely forever. Any tips? How do you stay sane?

Right after I finish my 4th White playthrough I am going to MM for a pokemon, which I have not decided upon yet and suggestions would be nice. I will have myself a shiny by the time BW2 English version comes out, I am determined :)

Grats with all recent shinies :)

SphealsFTW

Money is the anthem!
I have never had a shiny pokemon and this is unacceptable. I always end up quitting my MM hunts because they drag on absolutely forever. Any tips? How do you stay sane?

Right after I finish my 4th White playthrough I am going to MM for a pokemon, which I have not decided upon yet and suggestions would be nice. I will have myself a shiny by the time BW2 English version comes out, I am determined :)

Grats with all recent shinies :)
The only thing I can say is that you have to convince yourself to not give up until the Pokemon shines. You don't have to hatch hundreds of eggs a day, just find a pace that works for you and keep at it :p

Also, I never hunt while not doing something else. Watch tv (I prefer anime on the computer xD), browse the internet, do anything really. If you hunt and only focus on hunting then it gets really boring really quickly.

Heliotrope

it shone! ^_^
^
^
Probably Modest.

I've decided to go back to hatching for a dream world Magikarp in UK Black - I'm now at 215 eggs hatched (and they hatch so quickly ^^ )

I'm also at 3000 encounters for my Platinum BQ, 11,520 headbutt encounters in SS, and 20,837 encounters for shiny Litwick in White (I was tempted to hatch for it, but, meh, I might as well continue doing encounters).

Good luck guys. Congrats on new shinies. That shiny Larvesta looks great.

Edit: I preordered a copy of White 2 from Amazon a couple of days ago. I'm considering if I should do yet another badge quest when it gets here.

Last edited:

Shiny Supercow

S*ck My PokeBalls
Feels like today might be the day that I finally get a shiny porygon!
Going for another hatch session!

In a month or so i will start MM'ing for a Shiny Charmander -> BLACK CHARIZARD :p

cocoadragon

Shiny Hunter
:/ what was i thinking SRing a volcarano now i dont have larvesta shiny dex lol it looks great congrats

i noticed that the most common natures taht appear when im SRing eevee are modest,brave,adamant

Last edited:

shanil123

Omg guys finally my shiny drought ended. After, 860 eggs my shiny tepig hatch. I will post a picture of it later the day.

Btw grats on the recent shines and good luck with all your hunts ^^

cocoadragon

Shiny Hunter
hmm Dan i think meowth has the highest appearance rate and farfetchd has the lowest gl on the hunt though

Last edited:

Cutty

Forever now
All this luck lately has really gotten me hopefully my mystery MM will shine soon...

I even took off my avatar in hopes of coaxing him/her out. I can tell you all that the pokemon I'm currently MM'ing for is my favorite from Gen V.

Congrats again, everyone! Keep at it!!

Probably Zorua since u mentioned it once, unless I'm wrong :p

2,000 RE's into counting on route 20 dark grass JPN WHT 2 & route 10 JPN BLCK.

Congrats on new shinies found. Hope the luck passes.

YNCRN

Egg 125!

Probably Zorua since u mentioned it once, unless I'm wrong :p

2,000 RE's into counting on route 20 dark grass JPN WHT 2 & route 10 JPN BLCK.

Congrats on new shinies found. Hope the luck passes.

Ha!

Zorua is actually number two... or maybe 1B, and the one I'm attempting to MM for being 1A.

It's real, real close.

The thing that kinda sucks is that I LOVE the shiny version of the first evolution of my current hunt, but really hate the final evolution of it. I wish there were a way to transfer the colors of the baby to the final version of it, but there is not.

:(

dan2point5

hmm Dan i think meowth has the highest appearance rate and farfetchd has the lowest gl on the hunt though

Not on HeartGold. The pokemon are:

Rattata 30%
Raticate 30%
Magnemite 20%
Farfetch'd 10%
Tauros 5%
Miltank 5%

At night Farfetch'd doesn't appear so Rattata goes up to 40% which I'm happy about!

Good luck with Eevee, it's time for it to shine!

Master Leo

The Dark Side
Ha!

Zorua is actually number two... or maybe 1B, and the one I'm attempting to MM for being 1A.

It's real, real close.

The thing that kinda sucks is that I LOVE the shiny version of the first evolution of my current hunt, but really hate the final evolution of it. I wish there were a way to transfer the colors of the baby to the final version of it, but there is not.

:(

Is it Sandile ?

AquaRegisteel

Face Oblivion
^That's a good guess, I bet.

Just passed 7,800 Starters. Come on, you've been stubborn long enough, shiny!

YNCRN

Egg 125!
Is it Sandile ?

Good guess, but no!

I should say, or hint, that I also don't really like how the final evolution looks in it's final form, not even necessarily the shiny sprite, but just the final version itself is really not visually appealing to me.

However, I love the baby version, and I love it's typing... I dunno why, but when I saw one pop out of an opposing trainer's pokeball I was like "I NEED TO HAVE ONE!"

To this day, it's been my favorite Gen V pokemon, but I don't know if it's a widely used/loved pokemon.

We'll see, soon... I hope!

And c'mon Aqua, it'll shine soon!

Heliotrope

it shone! ^_^
Is it Sandile ?

I don't get why people dislike Krookodile's shiny form so much - I think it looks great. I like shinies that look vastly different to the original (unlike, say... shiny Garchomp. >.> )

Now at 3400 encounters for my Platinum BQ. Come to me, shiny Starly, come to me! I have a Jolly synchroniser up front, too, so hopefully it'll get the nature I want (plus it's a good nature for Bidoof as well if that shines instead of Starly).

YNCRN

Egg 125!
I don't get why people dislike Krookodile's shiny form so much - I think it looks great. I like shinies that look vastly different to the original (unlike, say... shiny Garchomp. >.> )

Now at 3400 encounters for my Platinum BQ. Come to me, shiny Starly, come to me! I have a Jolly synchroniser up front, too, so hopefully it'll get the nature I want (plus it's a good nature for Bidoof as well if that shines instead of Starly).

This could start a discussion I've wanted to have for a while:

"What makes a 'good' shiny?"

In my opinion, it's a sprite that's different enough than the original, yet still reflects on the typing of the pokemon. An example would be Chandelur - it's normally purple/blue, yet the shiny sprite is orange/red.

I like this because it's dealing with fire (orange/red), yet looks vastly different than the original sprite, which is the blue color.

Don't even get me started on how much I HATE Kanghaskahn's shiny sprite.

Ugh.

cocoadragon

Shiny Hunter
persian is one of those pokes where u can hardly tell the difference and poliwag crobat has a drastic color change XD

053.gif
shiny
053.gif
normal

only thing that changes is the ear color why not make the cat black :D

169.gif
normal
169.gif
shiny

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.