• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

5th Gen Shiny Discussion/FAQ Thread - Post once per page only!

Status
Not open for further replies.

FusionKT

*cough*
And yeah, Shiny Kangaskhan's color sucks. But Shiny Garchomp will always be the worst shiny color ever.

does garchomps colour even change or does it just sparkle?

Floette

Fennekin
For me, I don't really care if it doesn't match the typing, any shiny sprite is good as long as it is clearly different than the original color.

However, there are also a few shinies whose colors are a bit disappointing, because while it is clearly different, but it's still not enough, because it's just different shades, not exactly different color.
A great example of this would be Shiny Blaziken. The colors are clearly darker than the original, but it's also very obvious that they are just darker shades, they don't change color.
It's sad, because Shiny Torchic has such an amazing shiny sprite, with the yellow and orange being swapped.

Then there are also a few shinies whose colors are great, because it is clearly different, but unfortunately their previous evolution has a better shiny color.
A great example of this would be Shiny Rapidash and Shiny Drapion. I much prefer Shiny Ponyta's blue flame and Shiny Skorupi's bright red body, to be honest.

And yeah, Shiny Kangaskhan's color sucks. But Shiny Garchomp will always be the worst shiny color ever.

Another example is Archen as opposed to Archeops. I like Archen's shiny sprite much more.

Gratz on all recent shinies ^_^

Still wrapping up my White Playthrough. I will then start to MM for what I am starting to think will be a Zubat. I love Crobat's shiny form. I might also try for a Stunfisk/Drifloon/Sigilyph.

Question: Sorry for my noob-ness, what is a Badge Quest? At first I thought it was just a playthrough, but I only seem to see this term used around shiny pokemon hunting discussions. I could be totally off though. Thanks!

Last edited:

Wishing Star

Astral Charm Owner
Question: Sorry for my noob-ness, what is a Badge Quest? At first I thought it was just a playthrough, but I only seem to see this term used around shiny pokemon hunting discussions. I could be totally off though. Thanks!

A Badge Quest usually refers to a playthrough of a game where the player catches a shiny before getting each gym badge. Some may allow MM'ing or trades with other games of the same generation, whereas some don't. :)

Shine

Psyched Up
Staff member
does garchomps colour even change or does it just sparkle?

it's literally just 1 shade difference, Shiny Garchomp has a very slightly more pale color. It's almost impossible to tell unless you really pay attention.

Ti4558

But Shiny Garchomp will always be the worst shiny color ever.

I actually think Dragonite is the worst shiny pokemon.

Rampharos

I actually think Dragonite is the worst shiny pokemon.

I don't mind shiny Dragonite.
But can you imagine going for a shiny gible, and than watching it slowly get lamer each evolution? Seriously, my eyes can't even tell the difference between shiny and normal garchomp!

Chibi_Muffin

Smart Cookie
After 226 eggs in Black, and a load more in SoulSilver, shiny Turtwig hatched! ^_^
Here he is:

http://i50.*******.com/2lvr13.jpg

I named him Pie, pretty good name for a Turtwig in my opinion. He has a Modest nature and hates to lose. The ability is Overgrow (of course, because I don't own any DW Pokemon). He has above average potential with fantastic Special Defence. Possibly my shortest hunt yet, my 12th MM shiny, and my 3rd shiny starter!

Thinking of looking for Phione now. It has a long hatch time, but only in the range of Dratini and Deino (both of which I have hatched before). It's also a nice shiny, and the closest I'll get to a Legendary... Well, until Black 2 that is! (I'll definitely hunt the Lake trio, the musketeers, the Regis, Latios and Cresselia on that one, and maybe some others as well).

Congrats and good luck to all! To answer the question, I think a good shiny has to look different from the original form. Otherwise, it might not be worth it. I agree with Shine on the Torchic-Blaziken thing, and everyone on Garchomp!

Last edited:

SphealsFTW

Money is the anthem!
After 226 eggs in Black, and a load more in SoulSilver, shiny Turtwig hatched! ^_^
Here he is:

http://i50.*******.com/2lvr13.jpg

I named him Pie, pretty good name for a Turtwig in my opinion. He has a Modest nature and hates to lose. The ability is Overgrow (of course, because I don't own any DW Pokemon). He has above average potential with fantastic Special Defence. Possibly my shortest hunt yet, my 12th MM shiny, and my 3rd shiny starter!

Thinking of looking for Phione now. It has a long hatch time, but only in the range of Dratini and Deino (both of which I have hatched before). It's also a nice shiny, and the closest I'll get to a Legendary... Well, until Black 2 that is! (I'll definitely hunt the Lake trio, the musketeers, the Regis, Latios and Cresselia on that one, and maybe some others as well).

Congrats and good luck to all! To answer the question, I think a good shiny has to look different from the original form. Otherwise, it might not be worth it. I agree with Psychic on the Torchic-Blaziken thing, and everyone on Garchomp!
Grats! I also had a Modest Turtwig... though I SRed for mine and it's now a Torterra xD.

elorasheppard

I have a new shiny charmander to report! Yay :) 1353 eggs so my longest hunt so far, now on to charmander 2

Good luck on your hunts, especially that eevee cocoa!

AquaRegisteel

Face Oblivion
Some shinies do suck for sure, but I love a lot of shinies. Kyurem is a cool shiny, but everyone is going to always want Reshiram/Zekrom. I actually want one now...

But I love Zoroark/Virizion/Giratina/Magmortar/Archeops/Scolipede/Charizard and so many others.

Anyways, just over 8,100 Starters, so in terms of Pokemon seen, I'm almost at the odds! I'm just over at 2,700 SRs then. It is stubborn, but I have done like 450 yesterday.

doodlecloud

Shiny Hunter
Still getting absolutely nowhere on my Ponyta hunt....I always try to pay attention but end up doing something else....gotta get my head back in the game.

I did have a really weird dream last night though. I got White 2 and caught a shiny Raticate, Sawsbuck, Spoink and Zorua (though for some reason Zorua was black with light blue and gold). Also ran into a Litwick (in grass for some reason) but my bulbasaur killed it....

dan2point5

Congrats on shinies guys! Definately seems like the luck is really sticking around lately.

@cocoa Yeah definately SR'ing Ho-oh. It's gonna be the ultimate payoff to finish the Johto side of the BQ. Hunt 6 will be Tentacool (MM) but hunt 7 will be a RE.

Haha yeah I've noticed a lot of people hate Rattata but there's something quite nostalgic about it for me so I'd love a shiny one just for a trophy really.

Good luck everyone

StingrayKurt

I can understand the reasoning behind Dan regarding ratatta.

As for garchomp shiny I agree with all of you and I grind my teeth in zinger towards the makers of pokemon evrytime I see a shiny Garchomp, it is in the top 5 coolest pokemon in my opinion,it's an uber in battle, it is my favorite pokemon, but they give it the most absolute horrible shade of dullness as it's shiny form! When I get that shiny gible on black 2 I won't ever evolve it because shiny gible rocks!

Chingchar

2 Days ago I found a shiny Golbat in the giant chasm and about an hour ago I found a shiny karrablast who is now a shiny escavalier! No hacks and not lying!!!

Last edited:

cocoadragon

Shiny Hunter
yea i dont even know why i try to stay up late at night SRing i do about 100 SRs take a break to rest my eyes next thing i know its morning >.>

anyway im only at 1800 SRs hopefully 2300 by the end of the day i know im going to SR lugia and suicune so far and i know im doing the kanto side but for now im focused on eevee

gl Dan, kurt, doodle, aqua and everyone else hunting shinies

worst shiny: basculin
550.gif

favorite shiny: Umbreon
197.gif

@dan2point5 yay i have a chance to catch up your doing another MM do you know that u cant get to lugia /ho oh until after the 8th gym
and about this ratata discussion i think ratata can be useful for catching shinies it can learn super fang

Last edited:

Cutty

Forever now
Congrats on shinies guys! Definately seems like the luck is really sticking around lately.

@cocoa Yeah definately SR'ing Ho-oh. It's gonna be the ultimate payoff to finish the Johto side of the BQ. Hunt 6 will be Tentacool (MM) but hunt 7 will be a RE.

Haha yeah I've noticed a lot of people hate Rattata but there's something quite nostalgic about it for me so I'd love a shiny one just for a trophy really.

Good luck everyone
Well, getting one is okay. Getting 2 and more is getting annoying.
I pray you'll always get shiny Rattata during RE hunt in Rattata territory.
That's a good luck btw.

I did 428 RE's today for my hunts. I could do more if it wasn't for the bug in my room.
I screamed like whatever. Man, I never screamed that loud when I got a shiny. *shrugs*
I am hoping for shiny bug Venipede for my hunt in WHT 2, though.

rykerr1

The Great Gublet
OH MY GOD...

http://i48.*******.com/mii5p1.jpg

Shiny Piplup has graced me with his presence in my Platinum version after 10.5 MONTHS of SRing. WOOHOO!!! He has a Bashful nature (my 3rd neutral SR'd starter, since Totodile and Cyndaquil both had neutral natures) and a potential 31 HP IV (his trait is "often dozes off"). I'm naming him Napoleon.

More Pictures:
http://i47.*******.com/244cgb7.jpg
http://i50.*******.com/anfn84.jpg

My next hunt in Platinum will be Giratina, hopefully it'll be a lot faster than Piplup was.

As for my other hunts, Snivy is at 6.5 months, Registeel is at 1 month, Ponyta is at 1199 eggs, Blitzle is at 1192 eggs, and Pokemon Tower (5th LG Badge Quest shiny) is at 3 months.

Congrats on everyone's shinies and good luck to all of you on your hunts!

AquaRegisteel

Face Oblivion
Finally! A great shiny there, and I wish you good luck in your other hunts.

Stillgoing to have to wait before I will SR again, not too bothered atm.

Status
Not open for further replies.