• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

5th Gen Shiny Discussion/FAQ Thread - Post once per page only!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terra Force

<-- Current Hunt
I see no problem with using the Charm either.

I mean, it's not like it guarantees you to find a shiny. It only increases the chance. And we all know very well how "chance" works in Pokemon :p
So it won't be like suddenly we see a shiny every 10 encounters or so. The chance increase is not THAT high.
I can usually get 1,000 encounters in a single day if I try hard enough. The chance increase is that high, it more than doubles the chances of shinies appearing. It's unfair to those who work harder for their shinies in my opinion. Of course your entitled to your own opinion and can use it if you want. I just don't like it.

Up to 12,452 encounters in Virbank Complex.

Congrats on recent shinies and good luck with your hunts.

J-Tech

Currently at 13,100 encounters now for 2nd badge. I Don't plan on giving up no time soon.

Personally I do plan on using the shiny charm if I can ever my pokedex finish. Which is not looking good right now.
The problem I have with B&W2 is that it gives out 3 shinies. Garchomp and Dragonite would have been enough
But a cool shiny like haxorous should have not been gifted.

RandomGuy27

^ I agree. I kind of wish they didn't give out any shinies. It makes those shinies completely worthless to me. I'll use the shiny charm if I ever get it. I've been working on my Pokedex, but so far I've only seen 343 Pokemon and caught 192.

About to go on an RE hunt at Reverse Mountain. Looking for a shiny Spoink/Grumpig but any shiny from that area would be nice.

Shine

Psyched Up
Staff member
I agree about the free guaranteed Shiny Haxorus.

Haxorus is one of the best Pokemon in 5th Gen in terms of power, so naturally the shiny form would be very valuable. But GF just gave away the shiny form for basically nothing ("see all Unova Pokemon" is VERY easy)

Not to mention it sucks for everyone who already have a Shiny Haxorus, because their Shiny Haxorus is no longer valuable as everyone has one.
And I have already have one.......

I can usually get 1,000 encounters in a single day if I try hard enough. The chance increase is that high, it more than doubles the chances of shinies appearing. It's unfair to those who work harder for their shinies in my opinion. Of course your entitled to your own opinion and can use it if you want. I just don't like it.

There's still the chance thing I mentioned earlier.
Sure you can get 1000 encounters in a single day, but it still doesn't mean you'll find 5-10 shinies within those 1000 encounters, even with Shining Charm.
Knowing the game's way of doing chance-based things, you're already very lucky if you're able to find 3.

Though to be honest, one thing I don't like about the Shining Charm is that it is a Key Item.
I kinda wish it is a hold item instead, so we can put it into the box by making a Pokemon hold it.
That way, we're not forced to use it when we don't want to. I don't want to meet a shiny I already have just because the Shining Charm is in my bag......this is especially true for areas that is critical for EV training, for example the Attack EV areas, I already have a Shiny Stoutland, Shiny Watchog, and Shiny Golurk......

Shiny Hunter Se7en

All-Times Favorite
Hi guys!... Well I'm still looking for shiny Turtwig so I can begin my Pearl BQ, Turtwig is being kind of stubborn and doesn´t want to show up, but today I got back my White and since I'm in such BQ/craze-mode I decided to SR for a starter in here too and the lucky one I'm SRing for is Snivy. So at the moment I'm dual SR for a grass starter in Pearl and Black...
Just realized that the only shiny grass starter I would be missing is Treecko since I already have Venusaur, Chikorita and waiting for Turtwig and Snivy

Nice! @Heliotrope, shiny Staraptor is so cool. Once I get to start my BQ I'm thinking about SR for a shiny Cranidos as well, it looks awesome in red

I don't have any problem with the Shiny Charm as well, since Gen I I've been waiting for Game Freak to reward you for completing the Dex with more than a "Diploma" and here it is, is a nice price for a very hard endeavour

Good luck guys, is just time before the pokémon you're SRing, REing or MMing will show before your eyes

Uber_Fuller

<-- Latest Shiny
I have been hunting for a shiny metang in the Giant Chasm for like a week now on my white 2. After a lot of encounters, probably around 6k or 7k, I finally encountered it.
I was using the max repel trick along with magnet pull, so I mostly encountered metang, with a few dittos here and there.

Lol, my shiny white kyurem is so giant :p
Metangbattle.jpg

Metang.jpg

I am so happy about this shiny, it was exactly what I was looking for :D

Rai1994

Pokémon Master!
I've gotten the National Dex (1-493) completed so I can finally continue my hunt for Shiny Electrike! I've hatched 780+ Eggs so far.

By the way, Can someone point me in the direction to get one of those Shiny cards by rykerr1? I saw quite a few of them, and I wanted to get one too... Thanks in advance for telling me!

mad_toast_boy

shiny hunter
Hello, I went off and chained me some pidgeys, I caught one shiny but my chain ended at midnight as it was a swarm.
I've just started chaining farfetch'd right now so hopefully i'll get a shiny or two out of that :)
any ideas what else I should chain? (on pokemon pearl)

Heliotrope

it shone! ^_^
I agree about the free guaranteed Shiny Haxorus.

Haxorus is one of the best Pokemon in 5th Gen in terms of power, so naturally the shiny form would be very valuable. But GF just gave away the shiny form for basically nothing ("see all Unova Pokemon" is VERY easy)

Not to mention it sucks for everyone who already have a Shiny Haxorus, because their Shiny Haxorus is no longer valuable as everyone has one.
And I have already have one........

I dislike the 'free' shinies, too. I bet the people who hunted for a shiny Entei/Raikou in SS/HG were really annoyed when Nintendo just gave away the shiny versions for free - it certainly put me off hunting for them.

I feel slightly annoyed and pleased at the same time that they've made Cresselia/Mesprit stationary Pokemon in B/W 2: I'm pleased that I can now try and SR for shiny ones with the right natures, but at the same time I spent months hunting for mine in D/P, and now anyone can just SR 'easily' for a shiny one...

Nice! @Heliotrope, shiny Staraptor is so cool. Once I get to start my BQ I'm thinking about SR for a shiny Cranidos as well, it looks awesome in red

Thanks! I agree; shiny Staraptor and Cranidos do look great. Good luck with your Turtwig hunt (especially since you're SR'ing in Pearl, which takes even longer than Platinum, and you may encounter the dreaded uncatchable shiny Starly >_>)

Last edited:

dan2point5

Just reached 10k encounters so I've decided to put this particular hunt on hold. Instead I'm gonna work on getting the next member of the team. Fingers crossed this hunt doesn't go over the odds as well.

broken glass

average shiny hunter
gl Dan on tentacool hopefully not as long as slugma

currently MMing drifloon :150 eggs hatched
Sring eevee 2600 SRs

congratz on recent shinies and gl everyone

I agree that the Shiny Haxorus should not be given that freely. I was quite happy with my Shiny Axew as well regardless of it's nature and ability. Well I guess it's garbage for others. Although, I think I'll be using the Shiny Haxorus I got out of the MM rather than the one that is given :p

AquaRegisteel

Face Oblivion
Well, I'm edging quite close to 10,000 starters seen...wow, this hunt is giving me a bit of hindrance. It's punishment for my 150 REs Bouffalant and 1,943 REs Mincinno.

Supremacy

Shiny Hunter
The2ndlaw.jpg

OMGshinycobalionfinallyappearedafteraweekofsr'ingi'minsomuchshochrightnowthatican'tevenusethespacebarandimpishsyncworkedyassssss!!

YNCRN

Egg 125!
Congrats City!!

Even better that synchronize worked! Lucky!!

Hatching some more eggs now on my mystery hunt, nearing 400 and really starting to hit my stride now. I'd love it to be shiny before 2,000 - that's just a hope though.

:\

Good luck to all!

TheShinyLunatone

VAMPIRE LORDS!
well grats on coballion!

im also not keen on this shining charm, but i like the incentive 2 complete the national dex. i dont see why they're givng away shines, but wat rvs.
65 morr eggs hatched, 205 more stored

dan2point5

@Aqua - Keep going buddy! It's gonna shine soon, keep the faith!

@City - Wow good work dude! How many SR's do you average a day? Congrats on the nature too!

@YNCRN - Good luck with your hunt pal. Let's hope this hunt is shorter than your last one!

Hatched 120 eggs so far with 60 to go. Not sure why but I always feel a lot more happier hunting by MM than by any other method. I could happily sit hatching eggs all day but with RE'ing I get a little agitated after a short while.

Best of luck everyone.

Callie-Rose

daydreaming ~
Hey everyone, congrats to City of Delusion (nice name :p) on the shiny Cobalion, beautiful shiny, Helio on the shiny Starly, and Uber Fuller on the shiny Metang! How did you get a shiny Kyurem, may I ask? Did you have a shiny Kyurem that transforms into a shiny aswell?

As for the shiny charm, I think that's gonna be a great addition! Easier shinies are never something to complain about :} But have any of you heard about the 'glitch' in BW2 that stops you from getting shiny eggs? Something about the nature/gender/shininess of each egg being set after you start the game. I heard something about it, but I'm not quite sure. If it's true. then that sucks :(

rykerr1

The Great Gublet
As for the shiny charm, I think that's gonna be a great addition! Easier shinies are never something to complain about :} But have any of you heard about the 'glitch' in BW2 that stops you from getting shiny eggs? Something about the nature/gender/shininess of each egg being set after you start the game. I heard something about it, but I'm not quite sure. If it's true. then that sucks :(

I had heard there was a glitch with the egg RNG in B/W2 but I don't know if it prevents shininess or not. I'll probably just keep MMing in White and not bother finding out for myself.

Anyway, I have a new shiny to report ^.^ I've been working very diligently on Giratina since I got to it on Saturday night (at like 960 ish SRs atm) and I was hunting that and Registeel on Sapphire today when Registeel shone! I'm very excited because I've been hunting it for just over a month and this completes my shiny Regi trio, which I got entirely in Sapphire ^.^ It also has a Careful nature, which is fantastic, although its IV's are only so-so.

http://i47.*******.com/2llghz8.jpg

I'll be going to meteor falls now, both to level up my team (so I can hunt Rayquaza soon) and [hopefully] get a shiny Bagon. Congrats to everyone on your shinies, and good luck to all of you on your hunts!

doodlecloud

Shiny Hunter
But have any of you heard about the 'glitch' in BW2 that stops you from getting shiny eggs? Something about the nature/gender/shininess of each egg being set after you start the game. I heard something about it, but I'm not quite sure. If it's true. then that sucks :(

As far as I know only the first egg details is 'set' and only when you first put the pokemon in the day-care. All eggs after that are random so you can still MM for shinies, however as the first egg is the one that is important to RNGing, you cannot RNG.

Ponyta hunt is stil dragging on, despite my attempts to get as many eggs hatched as possible today.....hopefully I'll have more luck tomorrow.

And as I think most people feel, I have no real problem with the Shiny Stone but I don't like the 'free' shinies. However, I do wonder whether people will eventually get used to the Shiny Stone or whether they'll always be like this about it. I mean, someone mentioned that in youtube videos people are scrolling their inventory to show that they don't have the item. But people don't do that for MM, they don't show the parents to show it's not MM, even though surely when that came out that would have been just as big a difference. And kind of even worse as with REs you can't control (much) the nature and stuff but you can with MM....So yeah, I wonder whether people will eventually just accept it as standard or always be uneasy about it...

Status
Not open for further replies.