• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

5th Gen Shiny Discussion/FAQ Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Floette

Fennekin
Wow, congrats to everyone :D Nice shiny ditto kitty, I love its nickname. Lots of shinies today hehe.

Also thanks for the congratulations on the castform. I will be picking up another undecided hunt immediately after getting her EV trained =p

cocoadragon

Shiny Hunter
congratz join teh club kitty :p i also got shiny ditto from giant chasm

my next hunt will be in 4th gen will be mming lunatone next time i get a shiny in white

KittyKitty3308

Shiny Hunter
Wow, congrats to everyone :D Nice shiny ditto kitty, I love its nickname. Lots of shinies today hehe.

Also thanks for the congratulations on the castform. I will be picking up another undecided hunt immediately after getting her EV trained =p

Hahaha. I named it T-Swagga-G because I told my friend Taylor that I was gonna name my next shiny after her and it was the first funny and random nickname that I came up with that would match her name. xP Whenever I get my Sneasel, I am naming it "DJ K MAC" and my Aipom will be "BeffaB****" (Can't quite show the full name for obvious reasons). They are all nicknames for my friends that I will be rooming with for my last semester of college!

And thanks cocoa! It took FOREVER!!!!

And congrats on the Cubone Kurt and Aqua for the Chikorita! (you were going for Cyndaquil though, right?)

Last edited:

master of murkrow

Shiny Hunter
Yeah, that is a cool shiny there! At least it finally hatched, congratulations.

Haven't started up my Pinwheel Forest hunt due to other hunts.

HOLY CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I cannot believe my eyes. I Have finally found a shiny starter, and it happens to be a Chikorita!

I absolutely cannot believe it!!!! I must thank cocoadragon and dan2point5 for the inspiration and motivation. You two have helped me so much, I couldn't have got this without you two, thank you! It appeared after 15,552 Starters seen and 5,184 SRs! I cannot believe it at all! I don't mind it being Chikorita! Longest hunt is over!

congratz! its a nice shiny. I got 1 too a few days ago. now im SRing for sudowoodo on HG and MMing for cyndaquill on White

Congratulations! to aquaregisteel finally getting your shiny chickorita, you really deserved it! Good to see cocoadragon back, sableye is an amazing shiny! and to pocketmonstre on your castform, did you now my treecko hunt is taking longer than your zubat and castform hunts combined , @ 811 eggs, boxing up again, no treecko = ( q: how long is your A) shortest and B) longest MM hunt

TheMaster327

Currently hatching the first box of six total boxes. hopefully Tauros will shine, and soon...

Shortest hunt for me - Squirtle - 16 eggs
Longest hunt - Onix - 5,206 eggs

SEGludian

Today I got the shiny charm huzza!

I had to poke-shift from Diamond and trade over nearly everything from an English Pokemon Black to the Japanese Black 2. I decided that My old Japanese Black 1 is going to be my pokedex game, so for that I bred about 400 Axews, no shinies found. I has previously bred over 1,000 pokemon trying to get the Masuda method to work without luck. Now that I have the shiny charm, hopefully I'll have something to report soon. I am thinking of going back to hunt for Venipede or trying to breed Larvesta again.

Kyle Clarthy

Looks like I had another stroke of luck :3

... on the 281'st egg, Castform developed blazing yellow eyes peering into my very soul :eek:

P.S- I nicknamed my shiny Castform "Cloud", which is really quite an awful nickname.. any suggestions?

Nice one, PocketMonstre! I haven't really seen many Castform, let alone shiny ones. As for nicknames, I find it best to first go to something like Bulbapedia or somewhere that not only breaks down the name, but also has a lot of information about the particular Pokemon in regards to its behaviour or description. Then I load up Wikipedia and put in anything that may have a link to the Pokemon, or use Thesaurus.com.

Here are a few suggestions that you don't have to use, but might give you some inspiration.

Fogg
Foggi
Raine
Summer
Hailey
Sunny
Popo
Celly
Misty :p
Droplet
Cloud :p
Cumulus
Stratus
Nimbus
Puff
Puffy
Puffcuddle
Alto
Altos
Cirros
Fluffstuff
Cotton
Droplette
Dew
Flamette
CliMate
Aurora

That only took me a few minutes. I admit that some are pretty dopey, but oh well! :p Maybe there's something there that catches your eye or gives you something to work with or whatever. Good luck! Let us know what you choose.

Also, congratulations to Cocoadragon on that beautiful Sableye! I love that little thing.

15 boxes, 2rsa?! Good luck ... I give you permission to scream if there's nothing in there.

Good job catching that Liepard, Landroval! Sorry to hear about the Deerling. Things like that are something that happens to a lot of people because we're too excited and don't anticipate them. Are you going to reclaim it?

And a big congrats to Kittykitty! Finallyfinally! ;)

Landroval

Right now I'm mass producing charmanders so I can eventually get the shiny Charizard.

I'm just trying to collect shinies, I'm not picky on the stats.

master of murkrow

Shiny Hunter
I have some nice tips to fight boredom and discourage on a long hunt.

-(SR)put in your latest SR shiny as your first pokemon. then when feeling discouraged you just wait a few sec. and when you see the sparkle you get new hope.
-(SR-MM) watch a movie during your hunt and only look briefly at the screeen.
-(SR-MM) watch youtube videos of suceeded shiny hunts.

Shine

Psyched Up
Staff member
I was just browsing the net and I came across someone who posted this:

"Looks like I'll be releasing my Masuda Method shinies, seeing as they are not 'true' shinies."

I can't tell if they're being serious or not, but I was wondering: Do people really think this way? If so, wow ... I don't really know what to say about that.

It's not just absurd, it's pure stupidity. Masuda Method is called that exactly because it is a method promoted by Junichi Masuda, THE GAME DIRECTOR OF GAME FREAK.

Which means any shiny obtained via MM are TRUE shinies, since it is obtained by a method that's actually implemented into the game by Game Freak themselves, instead of using any kinds of cheating device.

Anyway, still MM-ing for Squirtle in my Black, 400 eggs and still no shiny. I hope I'll have it before 500 eggs.....

2rsa

Shiny Hunter
Wow Aquaregisteel.Congratz!you worked really hard for your shiny starter.I gave up long time ago.:p

15 boxes, 2rsa?! Good luck ... I give you permission to scream if there's nothing in there.

Thank you.I really need that.:D

Last edited:

AquaRegisteel

Face Oblivion
I have some nice tips to fight boredom and discourage on a long hunt.

-(SR)put in your latest SR shiny as your first pokemon. then when feeling discouraged you just wait a few sec. and when you see the sparkle you get new hope.
-(SR-MM) watch a movie during your hunt and only look briefly at the screeen.
-(SR-MM) watch youtube videos of suceeded shiny hunts.

I am doing that now for my Mareep hunt. It works, you bet.
Also, Youtube is a great tool for us =D

PocketMonstre, I have some active shiny hunting youtubers:

pokewaf
customlegominifig
shinyhunterzach
Alpha Zapdos
PureSkill740
shinyhunternick
Abenzio499

If you sub to those, you'll find others as well, because they support a lot of new hunters, so you'll often get a lot of stuff to watch.

Anyways, not doing REs for Pinwheel Forest yet...

RaichuArcanine

Hunting Sparkles
Been MMing Purrloin all this weekend with no successs. I thought I hatched it last night, but that was just my overtired brain tricking me. I've now hatched 236(7 boxes full). I'm going to finish off this box, then take a break and play Conquest before I resume the hunt, as I'm getting sick of seeing non-shiny Purrloin.
~RaichuArcanine~​

@TheMaster327 5000 eggs! how long did that take.... but im sure the golden steelix was worth it and 16 eggs, loads of people get luck like this, but not me @ dan2point5 i heard you hold the MM record, what is it?
Still going strong boxing treeckos, hopefully black charizard or silver ninetales will be a quick hunt after

@TheMaster327 5000 eggs! how long did that take.... but im sure the golden steelix was worth it and 16 eggs, loads of people get luck like this, but not me @ dan2point5 i heard you hold the MM record, what is it?
Still going strong boxing treeckos, hopefully black charizard or silver ninetales will be a quick hunt after also hope tauros shines 4 u soon, @ pocketmonstre so jealous 2 shined before my 1 treecko wa you hunting next

2rsa

Shiny Hunter
I only need to gather 3 more boxes before i can start hatching again.I don't mind if i get my shiny in the first box out of 15.Last night i dreamt about running in to a new shiny.Lets hope today is my lucky day.:p
Good luck everyone!^-^

ShinyHaxorus

200 eggs hatched..still no shiny axew, I'm getting a bit fed up of seeing the regular green one!

I hope it comes soon I've got a few targets in mind for my next hunt!

cocoadragon

Shiny Hunter
well now that i got the 4th member of my badgequest(spearow) im going after the 5th lapras after i finish up this BQ i will continue on with 5th gen hunts gl guys next hunt in 5th gen will probably be MM

http://i46.*******.com/2b1uth.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.