• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

5th Gen Shiny Discussion/FAQ Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

nekomi

Ace Trainer
Congrats on the Sneasel! :)

I have a question. Do the pokemon used to MM have to be either 100% foreign or from your game? For example, if I have a Togekiss bred from a Japanese Togetic and a Honchkrow from my game and I use it to breed with another foreign poke, will the pokemon that hatches still have a chance of being shiny?

nekomi

Ace Trainer
Ok thanks! ^__^

Claus351

Shiny hunter :)
I haven't been posting much in this thread lately (been posting in the General thread the most), but I decided to just stop by and say that I FINALLY got my shiny Sneasel. Its a male, naive nature, and has keen eye! So excited! 2,222 eggs! Picture coming soon!

EDIT: Here's my picture (bad quality I know):
View attachment 5579

OMG CONGRATS! :D You finally got it!!!! =D good work!!
I'm still hatching eevee eggs. haven't done the Chargestone cave RE in a while, i'll do that later today probs. if I'm not busy watching Dr.Who XD

Sabconth

Kanto Ranger
Had this pokemon as part of my regular hunting rotation for as long as I remember, and I can finally stop waiting for it to shine.

HNI_0056.jpg

It's adamant, which is great, but it's stats are apparently average, which isn't so great. Ah well, i'm just happy to have a shiny Beldum at last.

Sabconth

Kanto Ranger
An adamant metagross? Omg lucky. mine is quirky which is neutral, but it has a good IV in Atk and Def

I'm way too timid to evolve my shinies, I just keep them untouched and store them like trophies. Having a shiny Metagross on the team would be achingly awesome though.

mario_fan

Kawaiibunkle
Wow this has been one eventful summer...

on my 1147th egg I have yet another green (ish) shiny to add to my collection

557.png

It was a pretty hard hunt considering its not very different from its non shiny counter part but it was obvious enough to spot once it hatched. Its has a relaxed nature which is pretty good for a defensive and slow pokemon or... essentially made for a defensive and slow pokemon.

Iv's
HP: 0-1 ( really!)
ATK:27
DEF:19
SPAt:8
SPD:8
SPE:16

I think might be on a shiny hunting hiatus for the rest of the summer but I will be back to complete this little contest

Friend (boo)
:541: :548: ;079; :622:
Me (yay)
:602: ;140; ;345; :557:

KittyKitty3308

Shiny Hunter
Thanks nekomi and Claus! It felt like it took forever! I have already started my Aipom hunt now. I have like 60 more eggs to collect until I get to my 450 batch and then it is hatching time.

Also, congrats Sabconth on the Beldum! I want a shiny Metagross really bad. :) I kinda understand what you mean about not wanting to evolve/touch them.

And congrats to mario_fan on the Dwebble(?) I forgot that things name. :p

Crimson_Blazer

Wow this has been one eventful summer...

on my 1147th egg I have yet another green (ish) shiny to add to my collection

557.png

It was a pretty hard hunt considering its not very different from its non shiny counter part but it was obvious enough to spot once it hatched. Its has a relaxed nature which is pretty good for a defensive and slow pokemon or... essentially made for a defensive and slow pokemon.

Iv's
HP: 0-1 ( really!)
ATK:27
DEF:19
SPAt:8
SPD:8
SPE:16

I think might be on a shiny hunting hiatus for the rest of the summer but I will be back to complete this little contest

Friend (boo)
:541: :548: ;079; :622:
Me (yay)
:602: ;140; ;345; :557:
Dwebble was my first 5th gen shiny, got it randomly while trying to get the waterfall TM. Grats

DKDG

Trainer/Breeder
Trying to hatch a shiny carvanha, just to say i have a shiny....and im now up to 10 boxes of them :( it needs to come up soon

Finally after 1571 eggs i have my shiny modest treecko, very happy. thnx for all the motivation, i need ideas for next mm, congrats on dwebble , beldum and all the rest!

Claus351

Shiny hunter :)
if I EVER get done with chargestone cave i'll probably do dragonspire tower.
In other news, Castelia city was reported to have been attacked by large flocks of Eevee, swarming over the entire population. an average amount would be 500 Eeeves, rampaging across the landscape. most of them were rumoured to have come from skyarrow bridge.

yeah.

KittyKitty3308

Shiny Hunter
In other news, Castelia city was reported to have been attacked by large flocks of Eevee, swarming over the entire population. an average amount would be 500 Eeeves, rampaging across the landscape. most of them were rumoured to have come from skyarrow bridge.

yeah.

OMG. This made me LOL so bad! :p

I am slighty over halfway done hatching my first batch of Aipom. Not very motivated atm, but then again... I'm tired. Let's hope it is in one of these last 6 boxes!

Landroval

if I EVER get done with chargestone cave i'll probably do dragonspire tower.

yeah.

What a coincidence! The poketransfer lab was attacked by a pack of roughly 90 Growlithe today... they expect operations to be down for at least a month

Time to box up some more...

Marzo

Daft
I'm currently trying to get shinies through the Musuda Method. I've been doing a little bit of research, and I have a question.

Let's say I have an egg that's about to hatch. If I save, turn off my game, and turn it back on, does that reset the Musuda Method for the egg so that I'll have to breed another one? Or will the chances still stay at 1/1366 if I reset?

I just think that it would be so much easier if I could soft reset before my egg hatches, so I don't have to constantly breed and hatch new eggs.

Redphienix

41 Days of Black
I'm currently trying to get shinies through the Musuda Method. I've been doing a little bit of research, and I have a question.

Let's say I have an egg that's about to hatch. If I save, turn off my game, and turn it back on, does that reset the Musuda Method for the egg so that I'll have to breed another one? Or will the chances still stay at 1/1366 if I reset?

I just think that it would be so much easier if I could soft reset before my egg hatches, so I don't have to constantly breed and hatch new eggs.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong (been a little while since I MM'd)
but the eggs contents are decided the second you receive it from the old man~ Meaning a SR at the point of hatching would change nothing. Same pokemon every single time you hatch.

AquaRegisteel

Face Oblivion
^Correct. You can Save before getting an egg from him and SR, and it'll work, however.

Considering MMing for a Cyndaquil...ideas?

Dangertrout

no matter what you do, every egg will have a 1/1366 chance at being shiny. Resetting your game only resets where you start in your RNG. (The RNG isn't really random, it only appears to be. Once you create your game, it creates a string of numbers for your RNG and whenever you power on or activate c-gear or wireless it picks a new spot in the string of numbers to start from)
Leaving your game on doesn't necessarily increase your chances of getting a shiny either, because many things you do in the game makes you skip over numbers in that string.

And yes, the contents of the egg are set when you collect the egg, so you'd only be able to SR BEFORE picking up the egg from the man.

Status
Not open for further replies.