• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

5th Gen Shiny Discussion/FAQ Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheMaster327

Nothing in my most recent batch of eggs, bringing the total up to 1,430. Congrats on recent shinies!

Last edited:

KittyKitty3308

Shiny Hunter
Up to 9760 encounters in the Giant Chasm. Still no shiny. I think after I get this shiny, I will just stick to MMing. I am going nuts wondering when and what I will get. At least with MMing, you know what you're gonna get, you just don't know when. ;) Whenever I get this shiny, it will be my first shiny since last summer. I don't really hunt much when I am in college.

Terra Force

<-- Current Hunt
Thanks for the congrats guys, I'm really psyched about this shiny. Especially because of this:

Magnemite - #081 (Modest)

HP: 31
Att: 31
Def: 29
SpA: 18-19
SpD: 6 - 13
Speed: 10 - 17

Modest nature, pretty awesome IVs. This only happens on my long hunts... Shiny treecko, 13K, lonely with near flawless attack and speed. Shiny Pidgey with adamant nature after 19K. I just tend to be more luck with longer hunts.

Anyway I am getting ready to continue my BQ, not sure if I'll go for shiny in Virbank again, or repel trick eevee. What do you guys think? I've also got mudkip, charmander, and ho-oh hunts to finish. Not sure which I'll finish first though.

Good luck to everyone on your hunts, if you have a long one it's much more satisfying when you finally get it!

Last edited:

andyhaj

Look at this thing here :)

IMAG0103.jpg

I got it with the Masuda Method, and got it after only 324 hatched eggs. It has a Relaxed nature, which isn't that bad, I guess. It has Shell Armor ability, which I didn't hope for. Still one of the coolest shinies, though ;)
I just love Shellder and Cloyster, and the shiny formes are just awesome :D

I still got three boxes with eggs to hatch, so maybe I get some more?

Anybody who want to suggest a new hunt? I'm thinking of Squirtle, but I'm not sure...

Last edited:

the3rdH0kage

Turn my Swag on!
I'm about to start MMing for a Shiny Eevee then a Shiny Zoura. Congrats on recent shines!!!

Floette

Fennekin
Keep going Master/Kitty/everyone else

Congratulations on that magnemite Charizard! Fantastic find :D

Congrats to you, too, Andyhaj! You asked for some suggestions; well personally, I like to hunt shinies that aren't extraordinarily common (doesn't apply to my current zubat hunt).

Maybe chatot? I am personally going to MM for Emolga & Castform (rotating every 200 eggs) after I finish up my Zubat hunt. Which is at 219 eggs or so at the moment. I am really determined for this one because I am planning on adding shiny Crobat to my permanent post-game team for White 2 and beyond.

Anyway I haven't done any MM'ing today due to life :L But I have the rest of the day and tonight to hatch. Hopefully it shines in one of the 7 boxes of eggs I have boxed up, because I am really eager to get a shiny emolga or castform.

andyhaj

Ohh, joy! I've hatched another shiny Shellder! Egg number 348 also contained a shiny :D
This time, I got a Shellder with Naughty nature and Skill Link ability!

Still got two and a half box left too ;)

Btw, I decided that I'll MM a shiny Carvanha after hatching all the other eggs.
I will upload pictures of both Shellders later, so then you'll see that I'm not kidding!

TheMaster327

Congrats on the Shelder x2, Andyhaj! Now throw that luck over here please, I could do with it!

Currently boxing up more Tauros, and will maybe do some Turnback SRing later on also...

AquaRegisteel

Face Oblivion
Yup throw some luck to me too! I've got a nasty hunt going on.

I've done ~220 SRs for today, amounting to 12,651 Starters Seen now.

Tempted to SR for Azelf in Platinum now...

Also, hit 1,450 REs in Pinwheel Forest and Route 222 hunt (well, I started randomly REing in Route 222 to dual hunt something).

Congrats on the Shellder Duo as well!

Last edited:

TomoEGoto

Mr. Robot-O
I'm SRing for a special target now, one I have been dying to get for a while now.
I am hoping it goes under 100 SRS but since it's a legendary I doubt that, but it'll be a nice compliment to my Meganium and the greatest shiny before school starts.

Bummer the old thread is closing.

broken glass

average shiny hunter
hello everyone nice idea for a new thread

well in other news no shiny yet as of my hunts i just got platinum today so tempted to SR giritina
my hunts:
pokemon soulsilver: 1600 encounters
pokemon white: 1500 encounters
pokemon platinum: havent started yet

well gl on the hunts

Last edited:

Terra Force

<-- Current Hunt
Congrats on shiny shellders, incredible shiny right there for both shellder and cloyster.

Okay traded my shiny magnemite to Black, and what do you know, Magnet Pull ability!!! Wow this shiny is one of the best ones I've had in terms of nature, ability, and IVs all coming together. Also decided not to evolve it to Magnezone since Magneton looks nicer IMO and is still very usable with Eviolite. So I will comence EV training and then beat up Roxie, and hunt whatever I may decide to hunt.

Also good luck to everyone, especially Aqua since that hunt has really gone over the odds, and I feel your pain with my first Johto starter hunt.

Ohh..... A shiny new shiny thread (excuse the pun, really i could not resist it), i have news, no treecko but my second shiny ever just shone a modest roselia, will post in 4th gen about it. Because of life taking over im only a box r two further into the treecko hunt (#shine) and congrats on all of the shinys, and andhajs shellder duo, are you just evolving one? And charizard master's magnemite finally shone and i hope the new thread brings new shinies especially to aquaregisteel, because i think your game is bullying you...
*turtwig away*

Shine

Psyched Up
Staff member
Magnemite - #081 (Modest)

HP: 31
Att: 31
Def: 29
SpA: 18-19
SpD: 6 - 13
Speed: 10 - 17

Modest nature, pretty awesome IVs.

offensive stat wise, that's NOT a pretty awesome set of IVs :p
31 Attack and 18-19 SAtk on a Modest Nature......

Still, congrats on getting a Modest Shiny Magnemite ;)

And congrats to everyone else who got a new shiny :)

I'm still on 255 eggs for Squirtle, really hoping one would shine before 500 eggs.

Cutty

Forever now
I'm thinking I need a break from MMing, might try REing something. I guess running away from battles and having an Illuminate pokemon in the lead would help speed things up... any other tricks?
There is White Flute. But Illuminate pokemon is enough. You don't really need it in double grass. Just try it, REing is fun :)
I notice most of hunters here like to leave their DS on while REing. I always restart after 100 encounters. It doesn't affect the chance, I just like to 'save time' and feel more lucky this way.

I hope I can do more encounters today for my RE hunts and I hope Vullaby will shine in JPN BLCK, it's at 6,600 REs.

Congrats on new shinies caught.
EDIT: Congrats on The Zubat below me. Crobat is my fave pokemon (though I dislike the shiny). It's still awesome.

Last edited:

Floette

Fennekin
This just in, I have my first captured/hatched shiny ever! I was MM'ing a few minutes ago, and a shiny Zubat hatched from egg number 301. I am incredibly happy. I jumped out of my chair ^_^

It is a hasty nature, so the jolly everstone didn't work, but hasty nature boosts speed so it doesn't even matter :D

I bred it with a 31 Speed IV so I'm glad about that. I was watching tv, specifically an old animated reality show called "Drawn Together"- and I hadn't looked down at my DS for about 3 minutes. I knew an egg had hatched. I looked down and I got a nice surprise. I was quite tired and slowly falling out of focus, I almost went to bed but decided to hatch another 5 eggs, and I am glad I did (even though the same egg would have hatched shiny tomorrow, its nice to go to bed content)

Anyway I have been having trouble uploading pics, but here is a shabby attempt at a low quality pic, so might be some problems. shinyzubat.jpg

It is a Hasty Male Zubat named Jellybean. Egg received, 7/22/2012, Route 3, Alert to sounds.

Finally my first successful MM :) I have decided to go for either feebas/emolga/castform/trapinch next. I was originally just going to do emolga and castform, but I might do a 4 pokemon multi hunt.

EDIT: I just realized that on my English White, I have not yet seen a Crobat. This means that my pokedex will display a shiny Crobat as the default ^_^ I do intend to fully evolve my Zubat and keep it as a permanent post-game team member for BW/BW2/Beyond.

Last edited:

Shine

Psyched Up
Staff member
There is White Flute.

White Flute and all the other colored Flutes have no effect in B/W (most likely they have no effect in B/W 2 too)
Annoying since now there's no cure for Attract/Cute Charm.

Probably their effects will return in the R/S/E remake, which is supposed to be also on Gen 5.....R/S were the games that introduced the colored Flutes, after all.
The returning effects could be used to promote the remakes.

EDIT : congrats on the Zubat ;)
Hasty is a quite good Nature, since you can make it into a Mixed Crobat.

Master Leo

The Dark Side
Today, I hatched another 120 eggs in my 4 pokemon multi hunt for Minccino, Sewaddle, Pidove, and Lillipup. Bringing me to 600 eggs hatched. I also hatched some eggs for my Mawile hunt in SS, but got nothing out of it.

I decided to put the Bulbasaur SR hunt on hold at 14,100 SR's and my Mawile hunt at 480 eggs, to SR for Groudon in SS. Currently at 115 SR's, which is going by very quickly since I am using a rubber band for the first time.

Status
Not open for further replies.