• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

5th Gen Shiny Discussion/FAQ Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Theodamas

Collector
I have been really lucky with random shinies in the previous games, but in White I have only one random shiny. It's a Cottonee which hatched right after I got bored with doing MM on Ponyta. My first hatched shiny actually. But she had brave nature, possibly the crappiest she can have...

~Sam~

Trader and Battler
After MMing for Zorua on and off for 2 years (Over 2000 eggs) I'm now doing REs for Shiny Magnemite in Virbank Complex in Black 2. I really hope I dont accidentaly get shiny magby or something though.

I can't MM because i can't figure out my Nintendo WFC thing... i look for an access point literally RIGHT NEXT TO MY ROUTER (i have AT&T U-Verse if that matters any) and it says that the router doesn't support nintendo wifi or something like that. IF YOU HAVE ANY METHODS PLEASE TELL ME IN GREAT DETAIL IF POSSIBLE BECAUSE I SUCK AT STUFF LIKE THIS. I have a DS lite and i want to connect wirelessly...

varanus_komodoensis

they call me Varanus
I can't MM because i can't figure out my Nintendo WFC thing... i look for an access point literally RIGHT NEXT TO MY ROUTER (i have AT&T U-Verse if that matters any) and it says that the router doesn't support nintendo wifi or something like that. IF YOU HAVE ANY METHODS PLEASE TELL ME IN GREAT DETAIL IF POSSIBLE BECAUSE I SUCK AT STUFF LIKE THIS. I have a DS lite and i want to connect wirelessly...

Step one of solving this problem is finding out what kind of router you have. What is the company name and the router type? If it isn't on this list then it isn't supported by (and can't communicate with) Nintendo products. Click on your router's company name and see if your router is on there.

If your router isn't on that list, you can go to any electronics store (like BestBuy) and buy a cheap router that is on that list. I have a Belkin one that was about $20 or $30 that works great with my DS.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
I had no luck doing random encounters for a Shiny Pokemon on Route 22 in Black 2 version, so I just continued working on my Shiny Psyduck Masuda Method hunt. I haven't been completely dedicated to it since I don't play White version that much, but I did collect and hatch several hundred eggs this past month, mostly on weekends when I had all day to work on the hunt (but even then I slacked off since I'm playing like ten different games at once lol). My egg count must be over 1,000 at this point. No sign of a Shiny Psyduck so far though.

Step one of solving this problem is finding out what kind of router you have. What is the company name and the router type? If it isn't on this list then it isn't supported by (and can't communicate with) Nintendo products. Click on your router's company name and see if your router is on there.

If your router isn't on that list, you can go to any electronics store (like BestBuy) and buy a cheap router that is on that list. I have a Belkin one that was about $20 or $30 that works great with my DS.

I have a 2WIRE what's next?

PKMN Trainer Tee

Ice Pokemon Fan
I'm very happy right now. :3
I completed my Pokedex yesterday, so I got my shiny charm and everything. Last night for two hours, I started breeding my english Floatzel and a Japanese Luxray I obtained from the GTS hoping to get a shiny shinx, a shiny Pokemon I've always wanted.

Anyway, today I continued breeding...I'm guessing I spent at least 2 and a half hours breeding and I actually got my shiny Shinx after 138 eggs! My first breed shiny Pokemon! The only other shiny Pokemon I ever got was a RE shiny Tentacool in my ruby version, but I don't have it anymore.

He has an Adamant Nature like his dad (Floatzel) and knows Ice Fang, IV's isn't something to brag about, but I'm going to EV train it regardless and am happy to have my very own legit shiny. My hard work paid off. :3

Oh yeah, I named him Saiyan.

shiny.jpg

I think I missed something here, why do you need wi-fi to MM? You can still breed for shiny pokemon without a foreign parent, and with the shiny charm, you still get a pretty nice little boost.
MM increases the chances of getting a shiny so i would rather do that than waste time i could be EV training or whatever hatching an egg without that much of a chance of getting a shiny. but whatever. I also want nintendo wifi so i can GTS

If i ever get nintendo wifi set up could you trade me one of those cottonees? :p

I'm still doing MM with Cottonee, this is taking aaaaagggggeeeesssssss...

...I'm on about 200 eggs currently :|.

If i ever get my NWFC set up would you be willing to trade me one of those Cottonees? Trying to fill up my dex :p

Last edited:

varanus_komodoensis

they call me Varanus
I have a 2WIRE what's next?

There are three possible reasons why your DS cannot find your access point.

1. Your router is not compatible with Nintendo products.
2. Your router has "disable broadcast" selected.
3. There is interference from other wireless devices or objects (such as microwaves).

So. Step 1: Is your router on that list? Click on 2Wire and make sure that your router's serial number is actually on the list.
Step 2: If your router is on the list, make sure that "broadcast" is selected in the settings instead of "disable broadcast". I don't know how to tell you how to do this because I don't know what type of router you have yet. If you tell me what kind of router you have, I might be able to figure out how to do this.
Step 3: If your router is near anything that could interfere with it (such as a microwave), move it somewhere else in the house away from other wireless devices.

The last option I have is to see if your router is WEP or WPA encrypted. The reason that this is my last-ditch effort is because the DS Lite should be able to pick up WPA-encrypted access points and tell you that it sees them, it just can't connect to them. Your DS is apparently not picking up your access point at all, which is why you need to try to enable broadcast. If you have a DS Lite, you can ONLY pick up WEP encryption. Here's how to go about changing your router from WPA to WEP.

Go back to that Nintendo Router website that I sent you to and click on "2Wire". This should bring you to a list of 2Wire routers. Your router should have a sticker on it somewhere that says what type it is. Find that router on the list and click on it. (If your router isn't on the list, then chances are, it's not compatible with Nintendo products). It will bring up a new page, and on that page there is a line that says "Access login by clicking" and there is a series of numbers starting with 192.168 after it. This is your router's IP address. Type in that series of numbers in a new tab in your browser. This should bring up your router's settings. It may ask you to log in. Your username stays blank, and your password is "Wireless". If you live with someone else, they may have edited this and actually given the router a username and password. If you can't log in, ask your parents/roommate/spouse/whoever if they gave it a username and password.

If you live with your parents and they also use this router, changing any settings now could kick everyone off of the Internet, so please get permission before doing this.

Also, *disclaimer*: I do not take responsibility for kicking you offline if you reset something on your router that you weren't supposed to. I do not know what kind of custom setup your router may have and if changing settings might mess it up. If you choose to change your router's settings and something bad happens, it's not my fault. Okay, now that said:

Go back to the Nintendo page about your router. Click on the word "example" next to "WEP/WPA key". This will bring up a screenshot of what I'm about to tell you to do in case you get confused. Now go back to your router's settings, click on "Home Network"at the top of the page, and then click on "Wireless Settings". Now look at the "Wireless Security" section of this page. Next to "Authentication", does it say "WEP", or some version of "WPA"? If it says "WPA", then that is why you cannot connect with your DS. If it already says "WEP", then maybe we'll have to troubleshoot something else. If it says "WPA", change it to "WEP". If there is more than one WEP option, choose "WEP-Shared".

It will now ask you for an encryption key. Select "default encryption key", and look on the bottom of your router. There should be a sticker there. Underneath the barcode, there is a group of 10 numbers in brackets. It should look like this: [2222222222], except with different numbers and not just twos. Type this into the "Key" box. DO NOT CHANGE ANYTHING ELSE. Now click "Save".

Your router should now be WEP-encrypted. You should restart it at this point to make sure that it actually puts your changes into effect. If it is kicked offline, then you did something wrong. It shouldn't be offline just from changing the encryption, though. Now go to your DS and delete any settings you may have already had for an Internet connection. Create a new connection and it should find the access point.

If that doesn't work, let me know and I'll see what else I can come up with.

EDIT: If you do find an access point, your DS should call it "2WireXXX", where the three Xs are some numbers. It should have a red lock next to it - the red lock means that it's WEP security. Choose this and type in the WEP key (the numbers in the brackets on the bottom of your router) and you should be connected.

I think I missed something here, why do you need wi-fi to MM? You can still breed for shiny pokemon without a foreign parent, and with the shiny charm, you still get a pretty nice little boost.

My guess is that he/she wants a foreign Ditto to breed with, and he/she can only get that on the GTS, which you need Internet access to use.

Last edited:
if anyone has a shiny magikarp that they don't want send me a message to my inbox
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
and i'll trade something for it :3 i only have 1 shiny and it's a red garydos from soul silver so....... Don't expect any shinies :3
;129;

Last edited:

varanus_komodoensis

they call me Varanus
if anyone has a shiny magikarp that they don't want send me a message to my inbox and i'll trade something for it :3 i only have 1 shiny and it's a red garydos from soul silver so....... Don't expect any shinies :3 ;129;

Did you ever get your DS connected to the Internet?

K0t0ha

Wow, started today breeding feebas using MM, after 2 hours finally got one. Did not really count the eggs, but I'm happy anyway with my 3rd shiny.

SmartD

Yesterday, I was playing Pokemon White 2 that I rented on Gamefly. I was leveling up a Golurk that is on my team and out of nowhere a Shiny Audino shows. That got me by surprise. I didn't want to knock it out with Golurk, so I switched to a Zoroark that was on my team. The Audino used Take Down on Zoroark, it only recoiled a little. Finally, I decided to use a Poke Ball. The only Poke Balls in my bag were Ultra Balls, so I threw one and hope it stayed in it. And sure enough, it did. It's been a long time since I caught a Shiny Pokemon.

pieman556

1525 Eggs!!
It's been a long time since I've posted on the forums here, but I've just gotten back into pokemon again. Currently, I'm MM a spheal in my Black 2. Right now I'm around 735 eggs! Wish me luck, and good luck on all of your hunts!

Status
Not open for further replies.