• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

5th Gen Shiny Discussion/FAQ Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

doodlecloud

Shiny Hunter
Congrats on the Snivy, Corsola, Blitzle, Cobalion, Basculin and two Litwicks! Some of my fave Gen 5 pokes in there. : )

I also agree with the whole posting about different Gen shinies and everything...I would post in seperate threads but no-one reads the others and a lot of people have multiple differen gen hunts going on at the same time.....it's a lot easier to post everything in one thread.

In any case, I finally got my shiny Ponyta!!! It decided to shine last night after 2077 eggs. It actually hatched accidentally whilst I was stocking up on eggs, good thing too otherwise I would've carried on going till I was at at least 5 boxes haha. It has the nature and ability I want and a 31 in attack which was unexpected because although 1 parents did have a high attack stat I hadn't used a power item as they had the everstone. It's other stats aren't so great but the Jolly nature makes up for the average speed and I'm not so fussed about the others. So happy!

And now I get to put up my new shiny card. : ) My Ponyta's not really a Rapidash quite yet but I'm sure it will be by the end of the day. ; )

DSC_0444.jpg

dan2point5

Congrats! You've worked hard for that Ponyta, so glad it decided to finally shine for you!

Continuing REing today. Got a feeling it's getting close so hopefully it's today!

Floette

Fennekin
Congrats on that Ponyta, you worked for that :)

Later on I am going to switch parents in my castform hunt, because I messed up with planning the natures (forgot that everstone applies to the female's nature and not the males)

29 Eggs so far.

bobandbill

Winning Smile
Staff member
Super Mod
Sorry guys, but really this section is for 5th gen discussion, not other gen. Prefer this thread or not, but please keep it to 5th gen only. Neglect is why other gen shiny threads can get boring after all, so i don't quite follow the logic of pushing it into here either; it's causing the problem.

At least ask mods about it first rather than saying a few posts in this thread means 'the community has spoken'. =|

KittyKitty3308

Shiny Hunter
Hey all! Congrats on that Ponyta! I love his Ponyta's blue flames! I am still currently REing in Giant Chasm and it is taking wayyyy to long. :( Currently at 10888 and no shiny. As this would be my first ever RE shiny (whenever I get it), it is kind of discouraging to try to RE again... I have had wayyy better success at MMing. Maybe I should just stick with MMing after this hunt.

YNCRN

Egg 125!
Congrats on the Ponyta doodle!

I've always been a huge fan of the blue flames, it's a shame they go grey-ish when he turns into Rapidash. Still, grey flames are better than the red for Ponyta in my opinion.

And I guess as long as we're hatching the actual eggs in a Gen V game we're OK to post in here, right bob? It doesn't have to be a Gen V Pokemon or would you rather this discussion be only for Gen V Pokemon shinies?

In any regard - working my way up to 900 hatched eggs on this mystery MM hunt - hoping it shines soon. I've been really motivated as of late to get this one, but from what I've heard in B&W2 the Everstone guarantees to send the nature down from the parent holding it, or am I reading that wrong?

Kinda makes me want to hold off on all these MM hunts and wait until B&W2 so I can guarantee I get the nature I want...

Oh well - let's hope for a shiny soon!

AquaRegisteel

Face Oblivion
He means 5th Gen hunts, YNCRN, in Black and White. I don't totally agree with what bob has said, but I'll have to obey the mods. It seems fair enough. I'll post an update on my SS hunt, but I'll keep posting on my Pinwheel Forest hunt.

Black and White - Pinwheel Forest RE Hunt - 1,755 REs
SoulSilver - SRing for a Shiny Starter - 14,15 Seen (4,719 SRs)

HRRlion

2795 4358 7025
Congrats on all the recent shinies. I have a question, I managed to get a female nidoran from the dream world yesterday and I was wondering if I could MM it with another nidoran/other breed able pokemon in its egg groups? If I can then the hunt wont be boring cause you dont know which nidoran is going to hatch. Thanks.

doodlecloud

Shiny Hunter
He means 5th Gen hunts, YNCRN, in Black and White. I don't totally agree with what bob has said, but I'll have to obey the mods. It seems fair enough. I'll post an update on my SS hunt, but I'll keep posting on my Pinwheel Forest hunt.

I assumed it was any gen pokemon but only Gen 5 hunts.

Anyways, you just said you'd obey the mods but then posted about a Gen 4 hunt. Is that not against the rules, even if you do post it with other Gen 5 news? Not trying to get you in trouble just kind of confused about what is and isn't allowed now.

And I agree that us all agreeing on what we prefer =/= us being allowed to bend the rules as we please.

However, I do think it would make more sense to just have one thread: either one that isn't in any particular gen forum or one that stays in whichever forum/subforum is latest (in this case B/W until a B/W2 shiny thread is made). I know it doesn't quite make as much sense organising-wise but it would be easiest to use and cuts down on posting multiple posts in multiple threads when you could quickly sum up all your shiny news in one post if you have one multi-gen thread.

Actually, I wouldn't mind seeing some kind of multi-gen forum (shiny hunting threads, fave poke/move/area/gym leader/etc. threads and so on) It may be too much of a shake up but the more I think about it the more I like that idea. Competitive battling isn't the only type of Pokemon thing that spans all generations but it's the only one that seems to have it's own forum. Obviously it would be silly to have a whole forum just for shiny hunting but maybe a forum could be introduced for other aspects of pokemon that are not limited to one particular gen and so are too big for gen forums but that are not big enough to warrant their own forum.

Also, thanks for the congrats. :)

EDIT: HRRlion, yes, you could breed your Nidoran F with any other pokemon in the same egg-group and you'll have a 50/50 chance of getting a Nidoran F or Nidoran M.

Last edited:

Chibi_Muffin

Smart Cookie
Congrats on all the recent shinies. I have a question, I managed to get a female nidoran from the dream world yesterday and I was wondering if I could MM it with another nidoran/other breed able pokemon in its egg groups? If I can then the hunt wont be boring cause you dont know which nidoran is going to hatch. Thanks.

Yes, you can. =) Good luck! I had a similar hunt quite a while ago, with Illumise/Volbeat though. Just don't evolve the Nidoran (Nidorina/queen can't breed for some reason).

Ugh. So unmotivated. I've only hatched 15 Phione eggs so far. =( Help? (At least the finally relaxed rules let me post here without getting it). When I hold off a hunt, it tends to slip into the 1,000 zone as well...

Congrats to every shiny on this new thread!

HRRlion

2795 4358 7025
hanks doodlecloud and Chibi_Muffin for your answers :) Looks like thats my latest target. Good luck everyone on your hunts.

Dangertrout

What he said makes perfect sense. If you don't post in the 4th Gen thread because "its dead" you're contributing to that death. The only way it would get more active is if more people who are posting their stories here, post them over there. (I'm saying in general, I know I've seen you post in the 4th gen thread)
I check all the generation shiny threads, so whether the stories are here or there doesn't make a difference to me. I actually prefer them split up, but that may just be an OCD thing :p

edit - at 390 Spearows now, which marks the end of the batch (minus one egg the daycare man is holding atm) So now it's time to release them all, and then focus on my Drilbur hunt. Hopefully it will be shorter :p

Last edited:

AquaRegisteel

Face Oblivion
Yeah, I think it's fair enough for the sake of the forum and the community. I don't hate what he said, it irks me, but I can see why bobandbill decided that. It's not a problem, in the end.

cupofchuck

I'm up to 675 REs on Route 202 to get my BQ started in Diamond. It's been a few weeks now and I'm getting anxious to get my BQ underway with my first 4th gen shiny. Keep up the good work guys, they'll shine soon!

TheMaster327

How about the rule being if we get a shiny on 3rd or 4th gen, we have to transfer to 5th gen before we can post photos of it?

Dangertrout

How about the rule being if we get a shiny on 3rd or 4th gen, we have to transfer to 5th gen before we can post photos of it?

I don't think that will work, since the point of all the shiny threads was to post about shinies you caught in that generation. But there's nothing wrong with suggesting it.
I'd speak to a mod directly or post in the serebii forums suggestion thread though, since the mods don't spend all their time here they might miss your post altogether.

2rsa

Shiny Hunter
So far i collected 5 boxes and 10 extra eggs accidently hatched so i'm @ 310.I hope Cynda shines soon.I started MMing him so many times but every time i changed the target and got another shiny.:D
Good luck to you guys and BTW nice Ponyta!

master of murkrow

Shiny Hunter
I just got a shiny Chikorita after 229 SRs on HG. now its up to cyndaquill to shine on my white game so I have all 3 johto starter evolutions shiny. at 1000 eggs at this moment so hope this mm hunt goes fast

rykerr1

The Great Gublet
Congrats on that Ponyta, you worked for that :)

Later on I am going to switch parents in my castform hunt, because I messed up with planning the natures (forgot that everstone applies to the female's nature and not the males)

The everstone applies to whatever Pokemon you gave it to. It doesn't just work for the female.

For example, both times that I MM'd Eevees I used a Modest, male Japanese Eevee. He held the everstone and it worked twice.

Anyway, I'm at almost 6k for Giratina and tomorrow marks 7 MONTHS for my Snivy SR in Black. I will be FURIOUS if that hunt goes on for as long as Piplup did...

I'm almost done hatching my current batch of Ponytas; if one doesn't shine I will box another 360 eggs. But I'm glad to see that Doodle got a shiny Ponyta, it really is beautiful =)

@bob: I used to follow this rule, and only post 3rd gen shinies in the 3rd gen thread, 4th gen in the 4th gen thread, etc. The problem with that is, unless I am mistaken, those threads still have the 1 post per page rule. That was why I stopped posting in those threads - I would post a shiny in the thread, then get another shiny and be unable to post it because only 1 or 2 other people had posted since me and it would take weeks, if not months to wait for a new page.

If that rule were to be taken off the 3rd and 4th gen threads, I'd be thrilled to go back to posting there. Until then, I guess I'll keep my 3rd and 4th gen shinies to myself on this forum...

Status
Not open for further replies.