• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

5th Gen Shiny Discussion/FAQ Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Claus351

Shiny hunter :)
Yes that is correct. If your game produces a shiny egg, it will always hatch shiny. So, if as you said, egg 50 is shiny, you can turn off you game, pick up egg 50, and hatch it where every you want. I RNGed about 30 eggs for someone a year or so ago, and they hatch shiny on my game, but he wants them in eggs so they are still in the eggs. Regardless, if i were to hatch one, or even all 30, they would still be shiny, and yes, i hatched them all already just to verify they were right, then turned the game off without saving. I have also hatched themn all again since (because i forgot which one was which and what the exact details were) and they were indeed still shiny. Don't worry, you will not lose a shiny as long as you save before it hatches. Well, if you trade that egg away it probably won't be shiny on the next game, but that isn't at issue here.

Unless your talking about gen 4, like Dangertrout pointed out earlier, that is incorrect. The game does not check the PID against the ID/SID combo until the egg hatched. Even in gen 4, if you trade the egg to a different game, the egg will not hatch shiny on the other game. The reason you can be certain that once an egg hatched shiny on your game it will always hatch shiny is because the PID is set once the egg is collected. As long as the PID, ID, and SID don't change, the egg will always be shiny.

Oh. well that's not that different. I thought it was always shiny when you got it though :/ oh well. Just don't trade them :p
@4th Kira good luck. your avatar is disturbing. XD

Terra Force

<-- Current Hunt
Congrats on everyones recent shinies, and good luck.

Score for me! My sister decided she never uses her black or soulsilver and so she gave them to me! Lots of hunting on those for me.

ShadowedXHunted

Banned Trainer
Hate to crash the party but it's about time we are allowed to post more than once per page. Plus the excuse of it being relaxed is funny and a good sense of word play.

That's all I really got to say, I got no time to play with these childish rule changing methods anymore.

Sabconth

Kanto Ranger
Hate to crash the party but it's about time we are allowed to post more than once per page. Plus the excuse of it being relaxed is funny and a good sense of word play.

That's all I really got to say, I got no time to play with these childish rule changing methods anymore.

We can post more than once per page, we just can't fill up an entire page with our own posts or with posts that don't pertain to shiny hunting.

Terra Force

<-- Current Hunt
We can post more than once per page, we just can't fill up an entire page with our own posts or with posts that don't pertain to shiny hunting.

Such as his post.

Anyway I'm at around 1,000 REs in my route 5 hunt and am a bit bored of hunting, so I'll probably take a break to do a SS Nuzlocke.

YNCRN

Egg 125!
Unless your talking about gen 4, like Dangertrout pointed out earlier, that is incorrect. The game does not check the PID against the ID/SID combo until the egg hatched. Even in gen 4, if you trade the egg to a different game, the egg will not hatch shiny on the other game. The reason you can be certain that once an egg hatched shiny on your game it will always hatch shiny is because the PID is set once the egg is collected. As long as the PID, ID, and SID don't change, the egg will always be shiny.

Wait - does this mean in Heart Gold and Soul Silver I can collect an egg, walk it up until the point that it's one step away from hatching, save and soft reset until it hatches shiny?

I always thought, no matter what game, shininess was determined when you pick up the egg and not when it hatches?

I always thought this wasn't the case, but if it is - holy cow, I may be soft resetting/Masuda Methoding some Gen IV Pokemon!

Dangertrout

Wait - does this mean in Heart Gold and Soul Silver I can collect an egg, walk it up until the point that it's one step away from hatching, save and soft reset until it hatches shiny?

I always thought, no matter what game, shininess was determined when you pick up the egg and not when it hatches?

I always thought this wasn't the case, but if it is - holy cow, I may be soft resetting/Masuda Methoding some Gen IV Pokemon!

No, it means you can save in front of the daycare man (in gen 4) BEFORE taking the egg, hatch it and get different IVs.
When the man holds the egg, the gender, ability, nature and shininess is set.
BUT the shininess calculation is done as it hatches, so if you trade the egg TO A DIFFERENT GAME it is possible it will hatch shiny there.
The calculation uses your Trainer ID and Secret ID. different game = different TID & SID. so that's why it's possible for an egg to hatch a shiny on one game, but not on another.

master of murkrow

Shiny Hunter
No, it means you can save in front of the daycare man (in gen 4) BEFORE taking the egg, hatch it and get different IVs.
When the man holds the egg, the gender, ability, nature and shininess is set.
BUT the shininess calculation is done as it hatches, so if you trade the egg TO A DIFFERENT GAME it is possible it will hatch shiny there.
The calculation uses your Trainer ID and Secret ID. different game = different TID & SID. so that's why it's possible for an egg to hatch a shiny on one game, but not on another.

but this changed in B/W am I right? now you can save in front of the man and when you receive the egg it determines if its shiny. Am I right or not?

Halros

Ace trainer
ya I get all my shinys off of GTS negotiations

Dangertrout

but this changed in B/W am I right? now you can save in front of the man and when you receive the egg it determines if its shiny. Am I right or not?

yes, it changed in Gen 5. In BW everything is set when you receive the egg from the daycare man, so SRing for IVs doesn't work anymore.
In BW2 it changed again, I heard it was causing trouble for the RNG abusers. I don't have access to those games though, so I haven't looked into the specifics yet.

Shiny Lord

4,001 eggs hatched since my last shiny and counting. Right now I'm focusing on hatching a shiny deino. At 800 hatched eggs for it. Hoping it hatches soon.

AxelWolf

Arcanine lover!
Wow! I got seven shinies today through the GTS Negotiations from one player! I am in total shock right now! I gotten a shiny Ho-oh, shiny Rapidash, shiny Kyurem, shiny Raikou, shiny Emboar and two shiny Aggrons. However, there is a part of me that is thinking that these were all hacked, maybe cloned but I am not 100% sure. Going to check out the hack check thread to see.

dewey911p

primus inter pares

In gen 4 the PID and the IVs were seperate for eggs, so the PID (gender, nature, ability, shininess, etc) was set once the egg was generated and ready for pick up. However, the IVs used a different RNG call and so they were not determined until the egg was collected. In this way you could do what Dangertrout said, lock in a nature, ability, and shiny factory, and then SR for the IVs. In gen 5 B/W the IVs and the PID are tied together. When you collect the egg from the daycare man the PID and the IVs are both generated and set. Once you collect the egg, the baby inside is set and will not change. However, unlike gen 4, in gen 5 you can SR in front of the old man and the baby will change each and every time. In B/W2 the breeding mechanics are screwy. When the game is started and the first call to the RNG is executed, the game will return the same value each time. simply what this means is that it is pointless to SR for an egg in B/W2 because you will get the same result each time. Also, the everstone seems to be an all or nothing thing now. If the everstone nature is passed down the first time, then it will always be passed down, and if its not passed on, it will never be passed on. I think it was also a locked nature, so if your first egg is lax, all eggs will be a lax nature. Dont panic though, it has been awhile since i looked at the details and I'm not 100% certain on B/W2 breeding yet. Like Dangertrout, i don't have the games yet so i havent paid much attention either. I know for a fact that its virtually impossible to RNG abuse an egg on B/W2 but i doubt anyone here cares much about that fact. Also, this was a coding error on Game Freaks part that was discovered in the Japanese versions of the game, it is entirely possible that the issue will be fixed for the international release.

Last edited:

rykerr1

The Great Gublet
Hey everyone, I haven't posted here in a while because I haven't gotten any 5th gen shinies. I'm mainly focusing on my 4th gen SR hunts (Palkia and Groudon) and RE in Sapphire, but I have been hatching Ponyta eggs in White as well. I just finished hatching another batch and am now up to 2348 eggs, and probably around 4000 eggs since I started hunting Ponyta (since I also hatched between 1600 and 1700 Blitzle eggs). Hopefully it'll shine in the next 360 eggs, since that would free me up to focus on Snivy in Black.

Congrats on all of the shinies that people have gotten since I posted last, and good luck to all of you on your hunts =)

mia100

Right, I've filled up 10 boxes of Staryu eggs and now off to hatch them. After I hatch this batch, it will bring me up to 1,500 eggs! Why won't it shine! Longest hunt by far!

Crimson_Blazer

Now that drifblim is EVd in HP and sp. atk im wondering what to hunt next. Im thinking dreamyard, abundant shrine or relic castle. Im thinking dreamyard mostly to reclaim a shiny raticate that fled from me in the SS safari zone, but a shiny cofagrigus looks awesome, same with onix and sandslash.

Markasdarkas

Shiny Hunter!
Now that drifblim is EVd in HP and sp. atk im wondering what to hunt next. Im thinking dreamyard, abundant shrine or relic castle. Im thinking dreamyard mostly to reclaim a shiny raticate that fled from me in the SS safari zone, but a shiny cofagrigus looks awesome, same with onix and sandslash.

I would say go with the Raticate, but thats just me. Catch the one that ran away! It will feel sweet when you get him ^.^

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
I did some more Shiny Pokemon sorting in my games, and I've finally moved them all into the correct cartridge. Now that I have all my Shiny Pokemon organized, I have more time to work on my current Shiny Patrat random encounter hunt, which has gotten off to a great start. I've done around 200 random encounters for it since starting the hunt yesterday, and I plan to do another 200 tomorrow or maybe even more if I can get up early enough. I'd like to find the Shiny before September, but we'll see how it goes. Good luck to everyone else.

RaichuArcanine

Hunting Sparkles
I've currently hatched 400 or so Purrloin, with no shine.I had a brainwave when I finished storing two boxes of eggs last night, so now I'm hatching Purrloin while REing for shiny tangela on route 13. Good luck everyone!
~RaichuArcanine~​

KittyKitty3308

Shiny Hunter
I haven't been posting much in this thread lately (been posting in the General thread the most), but I decided to just stop by and say that I FINALLY got my shiny Sneasel. Its a male, naive nature, and has keen eye! So excited! 2,222 eggs! Picture coming soon!

EDIT: Here's my picture (bad quality I know):
111444.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.