• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

5th Gen Shiny Discussion/FAQ Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

StingrayKurt

Wow, does no one post on here any more? Well I got my shiny last night right before I was going to shut the game off to go to bed. I got shiny female quiet nature Heatran!!!

cocoadragon

Shiny Hunter
Wow, does no one post on here any more? Well I got my shiny last night right before I was going to shut the game off to go to bed. I got shiny female quiet nature Heatran!!!

Nice congrats thats awesome well if anyoone cares i got my shiny oshawott a few days ago along with a magnemite now @1600 REs for a shiny petilil good luck everyone

HRRlion

2795 4358 7025
Nice congrats thats awesome well if anyoone cares i got my shiny oshawott a few days ago along with a magnemite now @1600 REs for a shiny petilil good luck everyone

Wow, great stuff, care to give me some of your luck? lol

SmeargleRocks

Reputable Trader
Wow I've had almost a week long shiny drought, hope I can have the patience to finish my MM for misdreaveous, I am also king to SR for a shiny legend, stingray did you use a synchronizer to get it modest? Anyway wish me a $#!+ load of luck finishing my hunts thanks

RaichuArcanine

Hunting Sparkles
What is this I don't even.. Ok so today I hatched 100 Azurill then I got bored so I went to SR for a Shiny Johto Starter on my Soulsilver(which has never had a shiny) and SRing for Bulbsaur on my Firered at the same time while browsing the net. I see a normal Bulbsaur on Firered as expected and then I look back at my Soulsilver and see this:
http://s1063.beta.photobucket.com/u...a/Shiny Pokemon/IMG_1002_zpsea7ddf15.jpg.html Yep that's right! My favorite Johto starter in Shiny Form and one of my all time favorite shinies shone for me on the first day of the new year! Here's some more photo's!
IMG_1003_zps50132416.jpg
IMG_1004_zps045e3866.jpg
IMG_1005_zps0e04621e.jpg
IMG_1006_zps9ac8dca6.jpg
Needless to say I'm so freaking happy right now! ^_^^_^^_^^_^^_^ I called him Herb. And he's Adamant and Proud of his power so he'll be beastly in Attack. SRing is now offically my luckiest method: I've gotten three shinies, all starters(Snivy, Cyndaquill and Chikorita) with it and none of those hunts went over a week. I'm gonna play through Soul Silver with him as my only team member. Here's his IV's:
HP-0-9, Attack-15-26, Defense-8-19, Special Attack-2-14, Special Defense-0-7, Speed-10-22, which are pretty damn good. Was going to hatch Azurill tonight but now I'm gonna play through Soulsilver more with Herb.
EDIT: How can I get pictures to show up here instead of links?
~RaichuArcanine~​

Last edited:

SmeargleRocks

Reputable Trader
What is this I don't even.. Ok so today I hatched 100 Azurill then I got bored so I went to SR for a Shiny Johto Starter on my Soulsilver(which has never had a shiny) and SRing for Bulbsaur on my Firered at the same time while browsing the net. I see a normal Bulbsaur on Firered as expected and then I look back at my Soulsilver and see this:
http://s1063.beta.photobucket.com/u...a/Shiny Pokemon/IMG_1002_zpsea7ddf15.jpg.html Yep that's right! My favorite Johto starter in Shiny Form and one of my all time favorite shinies shone for me on the first day of the new year! Here's some more photo's!
IMG_1003_zps50132416.jpg
IMG_1004_zps045e3866.jpg
IMG_1005_zps0e04621e.jpg
IMG_1006_zps9ac8dca6.jpg
Needless to say I'm so freaking happy right now! ^_^^_^^_^^_^^_^ I called him Herb. And he's Adamant and Proud of his power so he'll be beastly in Attack. SRing is now offically my luckiest method: I've gotten three shinies, all starters(Snivy, Cyndaquill and Chikorita) with it and none of those hunts went over a week. I'm gonna play through Soul Silver with him as my only team member. Here's his IV's:
HP-0-9, Attack-15-26, Defense-8-19, Special Attack-2-14, Special Defense-0-7, Speed-10-22, which are pretty damn good. Was going to hatch Azurill tonight but now I'm gonna play through Soulsilver more with Herb.
EDIT: How can I get pictures to show up here instead of links?
~RaichuArcanine~​

Congrats on the shiny Chikorita, I'm SR'ing for a shiny starter on heart gold right now, I hope some of your luck can rub off on me

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
I went back to hatching Pichu eggs in the hopes of getting a Shiny Pichu. I restarted the hunt after putting it on hiatus a few weeks ago, and I've hatched another 300 eggs since I restarted it. I'm also doing a Shiny Sneasel hunt on White 2, which I started about a week ago. I don't usually do two Masuda Method hunts at the same time, but I figured that it wouldn't hurt to challenge myself. My Pichu hunt is going on almost two months now, but hopefully I'll hatch the Shiny Sneasel within a quicker time frame. Goodluck to everyone else.

SmeargleRocks

Reputable Trader
I hatched a shiny Cyndaquil yesterday. It has a modest nature and has perfect IV in sp Ak and speed
Congratulations on the cyndaquil, did you iv breed for it or just complete luck, either way nice job on it :)

I've had no other luck with my hunts since winter break, oh well, I guess I will try and finish my first SR hunt legend

Kanethedragon

Veteran Pokegamer
I just found a SHINY PATRAT!!! My first Shiny with the Shiny Charm. While I don't like normal Patrat's I love their shiny formes as it's all nice and it looks like they got addicted to something XD The Patrat us female so I'm naming her Naris. She's level 2 (which is pretty useful if I feel like training her competitively) and she has a Naughty nature and is apparently somewhat stubborn for her Characteristic. Speking of which, wouldn't a Characteristic equal out the lowered gain in a certain stat from the Nature if it raises that very stat?

Psynergy

Strong Winds
Staff member
Super Mod
I just found a SHINY PATRAT!!! My first Shiny with the Shiny Charm. While I don't like normal Patrat's I love their shiny formes as it's all nice and it looks like they got addicted to something XD The Patrat us female so I'm naming her Naris. She's level 2 (which is pretty useful if I feel like training her competitively) and she has a Naughty nature and is apparently somewhat stubborn for her Characteristic. Speking of which, wouldn't a Characteristic equal out the lowered gain in a certain stat from the Nature if it raises that very stat?

Congrats on the Patrat! Though I'll have to say no to your question on characteristics. That only signifies what the highest IV is in, and the nature has a greater effect on stats. Still, congrats again on the Patrat!

Kanethedragon

Veteran Pokegamer
Congrats on the Patrat! Though I'll have to say no to your question on characteristics. That only signifies what the highest IV is in, and the nature has a greater effect on stats. Still, congrats again on the Patrat!

Ah okay, thanks.

msisepleld

On the Serebii ItemDex under Pokeradar page (http://www.serebii.net/itemdex/pokeradar.shtml) there is the part that says ...

PokeRadar_Img.jpg

Code:
[CENTER]Flavour Text[/CENTER]
Diamond	Pearl	Platinum 	A tool that can search out Pokémon that are hiding in grass. Its battery is recharged as you walk.
HeartGold 	SoulSilver 	A tool that can search out Pokémon that are hiding in grass. Its battery is recharged as you walk.
Black	White			A tool that can search out Pokémon that are hiding in grass. Its battery is recharged as you walk.
Black 2	White 2			A tool that can search out Pokémon that are hiding in grass. Its battery is recharged as you walk.

I thought that the Poke Radar was not available in Black / White or Black 2 / White 2. Where is Serebii getting this information? From the game's code? If this is from the code, that would mean that the PokeRadar COULD be in the game and understood by the game's mechanics based off of the game's code? Can someone please explain what this means. I thought this would be an appropriate forum to post in because the Poke radar is a great way to get shinys from previous games.

NitroLightningFlash

Hey everybody! :D

After not having any shiny luck with the Masuda Method for a while, i found another shiny (random encounter) yesterday in Black 2 whilst looking for a female Eevee in Castelia City:

9a98689befeaa1e6b09ff255c894c5cf-d5r5tny.jpg

It's female, a mild nature (- Defence, + sp attack not sure if that's a good nature or not) and appeared after encountering 101 Pokemon.

This also marks my first ever Black 2 shiny :D

Now i hope my luck continues when hatching x3 (haven't had a shiny since my shiny Purrloin in November though i admit i could of worked harder x3)

Congratulations on all recent shinies! ^^

Last edited:

ShinyGoogleplex

Guess who!?
- Guess who?!

Yes, it was That one.

Going after my White's Thundorus now. It's triggering point for shiny determination is Before you enter Granny Soup's house correct? Anyway I'm trying it that way. Yeah, I find it during the daylight/morning half of the day easier too. I just fly to Nacrene City and I have the hang of it. And does saying "Yes." or "No." to soup make a difference? Like gender, so a female genie?

Cain

RAWR
Up to 1,300 eggs trying to hatch a Shiny Eevee, really hoping it'll shine soon so I can move onto SRing for a Shiny Latios with my Shiny Charm! Good luck to everyone else.

dewey911p

primus inter pares
- Guess who?!

Yes, it was That one.

Going after my White's Thundorus now. It's triggering point for shiny determination is Before you enter Granny Soup's house correct? Anyway I'm trying it that way. Yeah, I find it during the daylight/morning half of the day easier too. I just fly to Nacrene City and I have the hang of it. And does saying "Yes." or "No." to soup make a difference? Like gender, so a female genie?

The PID, which is the thing that controls for shininess (more or less) is set once the roamer flies away. To make the process easier for you, you can enter the house, skip through the mindless banter (and no, saying "yes" or "no" doesn't have any effect on the roamer, which is always male by the way), save, and SR from there. If the roamer is shiny then the dex entry it leaves behind in your pokedex will show the shiny spirit. So, if you don't already have the roamer registered in your dex, then what you can do is SR, check the dex entry and if it isn't shiny, SR and try again as oppose to tracking the little SoB down a million times.

Good luck!

Last edited:

ShinyGoogleplex

Guess who!?
The PID, which is the thing that controls for shininess (more or less) is set once the roamer flies away. To make the process easier for you, you can enter the house, skip through the mindless banter (and no, saying "yes" or "no" doesn't have any effect on the roamer, which is always male by the way), save, and SR from there. If the roamer is shiny then the dex entry it leaves behind in your pokedex will show the shiny spirit. So, if you don't already have the roamer registered in your dex, then what you can do is SR, check the dex entry and if it isn't shiny, SR and try again as oppose to tracking the little SoB down a million times.

Good luck!

Thanks Dewey I thought there might be a quicker way. Anyone here want to see how long it takes me? I just started on him & already I have shiny Cobalion and Virizion, along with some other 5th Gen.
Stay tuned!...

ShaunMHolder

Congrats on all the awesome Shinies Everybody!

Today I had some luck :D. I'm about 800 eggs into my Shiny Charm Masuda Yamask Hunt. Still nothing there, but while also working on my Soul Silver Badge Quest I ran into this guy:

r075G.png

I was pretty excited since I haven't caught a shiny since November, and I was really wanting to move forward with my badge quest. It will feel good to finally be able to start hunting something new while I gather up eggs!

I have a video up for anyone interested here on my channel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULco5Qjzu2E

I'm also excited because I'm in a competition with a couple of fellow hunters and this gives my team a point twards our score :)

Good luck with your hunts everyone!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.