• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

5th Gen Shiny Discussion/FAQ Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

RaichuArcanine

Hunting Sparkles
Hey guys a quick question im currently tryin to SR for a shiny Kyurem.
Other than the fact that it may take the rest of my life to see one is there anything else i should know?
First of all, good luck on your hunt! Secondly,if you have a rubber band you can use it to hold down the L+R buttons which makes SRing a lot faster. Also, make sure you come well prepared and know how much PP it has left just incase it struggles itself to death(or a masterball). Also, patience is key. The odds are 1/8192(or 1/2730.6 if you're using the charm) so it can appear at any time. A good way to keep motivation is to do something else while you hunt, and videos of what shiny you're after on youtube help alot also. If anybody wants to add anything go ahead.
~RaichuArcanine~

Hi guys :D
Congrats on darumakka,registeel,cyndaquil and horsea, all awesome shinies!
Well last night i finally done it.. SHINY SQUIRTLE!I completed my kanto starter trio! Its male, calm and flawless sp.def! Im quite happy with him. So that brings the question, what should i hatch next? Gl all!

AquaRegisteel

Face Oblivion
Dang, you beat me starrah! But congratulations on Horsea, it is a beautiful shiny.

250 Eggs for Larvesta/Staryu at the moment, hoping to get to 300 Eggs hatched tonight!

PTFC, you could go for one of:

Spinarak, Zubat, Eevee, Mareep, Poliwag (DW), Tangela, Magikarp, Munna, Dwebble, Drifloon, Stunky, Unova Starters, Torchic, Mudkip or even Wingull...

Just some suggestions, but most of those are my targets too :p I think completing the Hoenn starters would really look good with Sceptile, and Politoed would compliment your Ninetales in terms of Drought and Drizzle.

starrrah

Shine Baby, Shine!
/restarts thread
PTFC: If you haven't started yet, you could try and aim for all the other starters, like johto and hoenn!

An update from me, I have started my [ slow ] Sr for Volcarona, as i'm in my last 2 weeks of college ><;;; 27 SR....

N(emesis)

I am currently workin on MMing a squirtle. Should go well enough considering i love hatchin eggs even when they arent shiny lol.

TopDecking Shinobi

lN6H09P.jpg

rIFGCHN.jpg

Video:
[video=youtube;-VI0lq2VHtI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VI0lq2VHtI[/video]

2314 encounters, somehow I predicted this one even though my hunt was for Pawniard. Least it wasn't Garbodor....

EDIT

So something happens after this. I check my Grottos everytime I get a shiny, cause you know, you run around for hours so it obv will regenerate grottos and such. Went to the one outside Pinwheel Forest, found a Poliwhirl. Caught it, Timid/Alert to sounds. Good IV's in Defense, Special Attack and flawless Speed.

9fb9d7037b04348bc12cf4dbc2ec0803.png

Lol, afraid to check the Abundant Shrine and see if I find a Vulpix, or god forbid a Dragonite at Route 18.

EDIT2

Luck continues....

lYbb7H5.jpg

JW3TBiq.jpg

Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrxffCNEEuI

422 encounters.

Last edited:

tomatohater

Golden Sun 4?
Congratulations on the Shinies TopDecking Shinobi and everyone else!

I'm doing my first ever MM hunt, and I've decided to go for Charmander. I've only just started so I am on 21 eggs!

EDIT: Currently on 93 eggs with no success, and may I ask how people can do about 300 eggs PER NIGHT? I've only managed 93 in 2.5 Hours!

EDIT 2: Hatched 135 eggs, yet still no success. Did a little bit of SRing on FireRed, but got fed up quickly so I am only going to do MMing on Black for that Shiny Charmander!

Last edited:

AquaRegisteel

Face Oblivion
I'm not gonna be hunting on 5th Gen for a while now, because:

1) I need to finish my Platinum and HeartGold Badge Quests, and...
2) I am going to start school again tomorrow

Damn, especially for number two ¬.¬

NitroLightningFlash

Sorry to quote the entire post, but a BQ is when you get a shiny before each badge. Cyndaquil would be your shiny for Badge 1, for example.

Anyways, as an update, I am currently hatching eggs 191-195, so I'm on track to hit 210 eggs. I almost felt like reaching for my Platinum game and hunting on that, but not now due to my MM hunt.

Thank you ^^ Would i be able to catch regular Pokemon too for HM slaves or for the likes of Static or can i only use my shiny Pokemon? See i got my first badge with Cyndaquil (Pyro) and now want to try and get a shiny Mareep on Route 32 for the second badge. Also good luck on your MM hunt!

Has anyone had any Luck recently, as I am currently on 231 MM'ed Charamander Eggs, but to no avail? :(

Not yet as i have had a lack of motivation-though the other day on White i did start my MM for Venipede, Zorua and Tynamo (only did 30 of each though). Hope Charmander shines for you soon!

I haven't been on my games much since my shiny Darumaka the other week, but i'm now motivated enough to shiny hunt again. Tonight i will start collecting eggs for Venipede and Zorua again as i want those two more than Tynamo right now (is there any difference between normal and shiny Tynamo anyway-as i can't see it >.>''

Starting my voluntary job at a hospital tomorrow, so will be working on collecting eggs/hatching on the bus to and from there probably and who knows luck may kick in (...okay maybe not but it's nice to dream~)

tomatohater

Golden Sun 4?
Cheers NitroLightningFlash! I've hatched my 250th egg, with no luck. I am going back to School tomorrow, so I will only be doing 50 eggs a day (MAX). Good luck with your Shiny Tynamo, Zorua and Venipede, and good luck to everyone else too!

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
I recently started a Shiny Psyduck Masuda Method hunt on White version. I've been breeding an English Golduck with my trusty Japanese Ditto and I've been collecting eggs since Tuesday. I've currently hatched a little over 300 Psyduck eggs and I've stored another 25 eggs in my PC. I'll start hatching those either tonight or tomorrow morning. I've also worked on some other hunts including a random encounter hunt, but I've decided to put those aside for now since I wasn't having much success and hatching eggs for Shinies is always easier than looking for them at random in tall grass imo.

AquaRegisteel

Face Oblivion
NLF, you can use anything. Shinies could be boxed if you wanted to, or you could use them. You can do anything with your shinies in the BQ. I am only using specific shinies in my play through like Hoothoot (only because I have two).

NitroLightningFlash

Cheers NitroLightningFlash! I've hatched my 250th egg, with no luck. I am going back to School tomorrow, so I will only be doing 50 eggs a day (MAX). Good luck with your Shiny Tynamo, Zorua and Venipede, and good luck to everyone else too!

Thanks! Hopefully your patience will pay off ^^

I recently started a Shiny Psyduck Masuda Method hunt on White version. I've been breeding an English Golduck with my trusty Japanese Ditto and I've been collecting eggs since Tuesday. I've currently hatched a little over 300 Psyduck eggs and I've stored another 25 eggs in my PC. I'll start hatching those either tonight or tomorrow morning. I've also worked on some other hunts including a random encounter hunt, but I've decided to put those aside for now since I wasn't having much success and hatching eggs for Shinies is always easier than looking for them at random in tall grass imo.

Good luck with Psyduck hope you get it soon!

NLF, you can use anything. Shinies could be boxed if you wanted to, or you could use them. You can do anything with your shinies in the BQ. I am only using specific shinies in my play through like Hoothoot (only because I have two).

that's great thank you! I've done over 300 wild encounters and nothing yet.

I have another shiny to report:

Photo0059_zps7fa4ed7a.png

He came after i'd only hatched 65 Venipede eggs and 185 eggs in total. I started collecting eggs Sunday night, only managed to collect 2 boxes that night, Monday i did 4, again didn't hatch them though. On tuesday (yesterday) i hatched all of them and around 6pm, in box 3, Pokemon 5-my shiny Venipede appeared!

Everstone worked too, so he's Adamant natured which makes me happy because as some people know-i got two Sassy natured ones in a row last year (on my Black file which stopped working) before i got my adamant one.

Really happy as Scolipede is my favorite 5th Generation shiny!

I had a feeling Venipede would come before Zorua, and now i'm going to complete White so i can start White 2....or maybe i'll keep trying to hatch for Zorua x3

Sabconth

Kanto Ranger
Congratulations NitroLitghtningFlash, that's a fairly quick result for a shiny.

I haven't had any success for a while now so I'm hoping my luck changes soon.

Did anyone get a Shiny Axew or Fraxure during White/Black? I encountered a Shiny Axew when White was still new, and he was one of the greatest shinies I had ever randomly encountered- rare too. But then they introduced a Shiny Haxorous in Black2/White2 and completely ruined my joy. : (
It's like how Red Gyarados ruined Shiny Gyrados, it's just not so rare and unique anymore.
I still love Stereo, my Shiny Haxorous. :"3

I'm stiiiiiiiiiiilllll trying for that Charmander! Over 2000 eggs for sure now. Maybe even 3000. I lost count. I've been MM it since Diamond two years ago lol.
I have the Shiny Charm as well! That Charmander just doesn't want to shine...
The Shiny Charm is pretty handy though.
When I was hatching a Shroomish for my team, a random Shiny appeared after only 6 eggs... sheesh. It's not as good as my original Breloom (which I forgot to put Spore on, hence the breeding) but it's still great. Oh and I was trying to hatch eggs for those C-Gear Funfest Mission things so I grabbed a bunch of random Munchlax eggs because my Snorlax was in the Daycare for some obscure reason. Choosing Munchlax to do the Funfest was not the best idea. After the mission, I went back to release all the Munchlax and I noticed that one of them turned out to be shiny! After 5 eggs! : O Now my Bf uses it in his White team haha. It's pretty good as well. He's using my Shiny Totodile from SS as well.

PS: this thread is so cool because everyone here is so supportive. c:

AquaRegisteel

Face Oblivion
Meh, I've put my Larvesta hunt as abandoned now, I have two Badge Quests to focus on first...

@above poster, I disagree with the first couple of sentences. They didn't ruin the value of anything, it just makes your own shiny Haxorus/Gyarados much more valuable to yourself. If you got a shiny Axew/Magikarp and evolved them both before finding out about the preset shinies, it means that you know it was not the preset shiny, which makes it more valuable to you.
Therefore, I disagree with the presets making other shinies from the same species less valuable. It makes them more valuable!

Hey guys, congrats on ratatta, gothorita and venipede.
Also thanks to Aqua and starrah for the hunt suggestions. I will definitely do some of them in the future like mudkip (and maybe torchic).
But i have my brainwave for a mystery mm :D. I have been wanting this one for some time now. Other people dont like this shiny but i love it. Im at 60 eggs and i started this morning. Gl all

Status
Not open for further replies.