• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

6th Gen Monotype Challenge Thread!

Aduro

Mt.BtlMaster
Gonna start a monotype nuzlocke of X soon. Fainting is dead and no healing items, but I'm also planning on playing it using 10 pokemon imported from Omega Ruby starting from LVL 1-4 with a monotype with no pokemon banned from little cup until I hit lvl 30 and no ubers or legendaries until I beat Xerneas.

Will choose the first type anyone replies with, besides fire which I monotyped OR with and flying which I monotyped HG with (LT surge was annoying).

Last edited:

whatthechuck3

I've done a Red (original) Poison run and a HG flying run. Think I'm gonna start a Grass run in my Y since I want to use mega Venusaur and have never used Chespin.... I'll probably start some time tonight

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
Continuing my old monotype challenge, I left Sycamore's lab and me and Serena visited Cafe Soleil. I met Lysandre and Diantha there, then I left and visited the PR Video building to meet up with Shauna. I then explored more of South Boulevard and got a Quick Claw near the Shutterbug Cafe and three Timer Balls and Quick Balls in another building across the street. Next I skated towards the gatehouse that led to Route 5 and once at Versant Road, I saw a Lucario and I met Korrina the Shalour City Gym Leader. I then dashed through the area and I went over to the skate park, then I explored the tall grass and I battled against some wild Pokemon there. I trained my Pokemon for a while, especially my Squirtle.

657.png
- Lv. 20
054.png
- Lv. 17
007.png
- Lv. 15

Growlie19

Just finished a fighting monotype run of Y. Here's the team:

Bruiser the Chesnaught: Level 66 with Wood Hammer, Hammer Arm, Payback, and Earthquake. He was a hard hitter throughout the game, and being only grass type early on helped ease the pain of fairy and psychic types. For tougher fights, he could abuse the speed drops of Hammer Arm to power up Payback.

Auratio the Lucario: Level 66 with Aura Sphere, Shadow Ball, Psychic, and Dragon Pulse. My first actual fighting type. I made sure she never fainted, and was rewarded with evolution after the second gym. Shortly after came the Lucarionite, where she became a powerhouse. Easily the MVP.

Pandoom the Pangoro: Level 66 with Strength, Crunch, Hammer Arm, and Dragon Claw. He was a bit of a pain to train early on, but thanks to a Sandile I caught, its evolution really improved it. Being my main psychic type counter, it was invaluable.

Gunkroak the Toxicroak: Level 66 with Revenge, Poison Jab, Sucker Punch, and Earthquake. His main purpose was to counter fairies, and it performed well. Sucker Punch helped clutch a few wins, and EQ nailed opposing poison types.

Avion the Hawlucha: Level 66 with Fly, High Jump Kick, Aerial Ace, and Stone Edge. I needed a flier, so Hawlucha was caught. While a bit frail, it helped defeat opposing fighting types and even got lucky against Siebold's Gyarados.

Swirler the Poliwrath: Level 67 with Surf, Waterfall, Brick Break, and Ice Beam. Much like Hawlucha, his main purpose was to use HMs, namely the water ones. It was also the most tanky of the team, with high HP and special defense. It could be better offensively, but it still did alright.

Overall, I had a good time with this team. Everyone could handle their weaknesses with a bit of teamwork and the type diversity was great too. Kalos has so many great fighters; Machamp, Hariyama, Throh, Gallade, and Heracross were also heavily considered before I realized I needed a flier.

Lorde

I soon encountered Tierno and Trevor on Route 5 and I battled Tierno. After slaying him, I got Honey and I skated further west and arrived in Camphrier Town. I visited the Pokemon Center and shopped and I sashayed to the hotel and spoke to NPCs. After visiting Cassius's house I got the Thief TM from some chick and then I went back out. I visited the Shabboneau Castle and I encountered my good sis Shauna there. After talking to people there and healing my Pokemon at the Pokemon Center as well, I ran to Route 7 and I arrived at a bridge where a sleeping Snorlax was. Afterwards I gossiped with the line of people there and I discovered that I needed to get the Poke Flute item to awaken the Snorlax.

657.png
- Lv. 21
054.png
- Lv. 19
008.png
- Lv. 17

7 tyranitars

I have had this idea in my mind for a little bit and decided to go though with it. Since my absolute favourite gen 6 starter in Fennekin I decided to build a fire type mono arround it. I figured this was the best generation to do one, as you don't need Surf as much. I started the game and went on my way to Aquacorde and got as expected my Fennekin. I defeated my rival and her Chespin quiet easily and delivered the letter to my mom. And surprise, surprise it got to go on an adventure! I went back to Aquacorde Town and walked into route 2, where I got explained for the 312th time how to catch a pokemon. After they were done explaining that to me I got myself a Fletchling. Which will be the first addition to my team. I healed my pokemon back up and returned. I defeated the trainer on route 2 and went in Veridian.. I mean Santalune forest. After defeating the trainers in Santalune Forest I exited the Forest and went on my way to Santalune City. I healed up and went to route 22 to defeat the trainers there. After defeating the trainers I challenged the Rollerskater girl and got my skates. I healed up my pokemon and challenged the first gym. And after easily taking care of the gym trainers I challenged the gym elader herself. The Surskit startet out with water sport, which was kind of a shame. I defeated the Surskit with my Fennekin and decided since water sport was still in effect to use Fletchling to defeat Vivillion. I got the bade, healed my pokemon and went to route 4. After defeating several of the trainers there my Fennekin evolved into a Braixen. I defeated the trainers left unbeaten and moved on to Lumiose City.Once I arrived at Lumiose City I headed towards the professor and pick up my Charmander. In route 5 I defeated the trainers and my Charmander evolved into a Charmeleon and my Fletchling evolved into a Fletchinder

Braixen Level 18
-Scratch
-Flame Charge
-Ember
-Howl

Fletchinder Level 18
-Ember
-Agility
-Quick Attack
-Peck

Charmeleon Level 16
-Scratch
-Dragon rage
-Ember
-Smokescreen

Last edited:

Lorde

So next I visited the Berry fields on Route 7 and got Oran Berries and Pecha Berries plus the Sprinklotad. After planting Berries in the garden, I hurried back to Route 6 and skated north through a narrow lane. I battled some trainers and some wild Venipede that showed up out of the hedges. I arrived outside of Parfum Palace and ran to the left and fought wild Pokemon and trainers for experience. Next I dashed to the right side of Route 6's tall grass section and fought more trainers and found the Venoshock TM. I quickly headed back to the Parfum Palace entrance and I met Shauna there, then I paid a small fee to get into Parfum Palace. Once inside, I was asked to find the missing Furfrou. I wandered aimlessly next.

657.png
- Lv. 24
054.png
- Lv. 22
008.png
- Lv. 20

7 tyranitars

So a bit happened so far. I I went onwards with my journey and arrived at Camphier town. I met the guy who was supposed to know something about mega evolution, but he did not. A Snorlax was blocking route 7 so I had to go the Parfume palace, help the guy with his pokemon and get the pokeflute. I defeated the Snorlax and defeated the trainers in route 7. I went through the connecting cave and got the coastal pokedex update. I plaughed through route 8 and arrived in AMbrette town. I did the whole fossil side quest bit which felt kinda useless, but I did pick up a fire stone while there, I am certain that will be useful. I went towards Cyllage City defeated the trainers and got the Dowsing Machine. In Cyllage City I picked up a bike and challenged the gym. This was quiet a hard one for me, after defeating all the trainers I healed up and challenged Grant. I started out with my Charmeleon and he send out Amaura I defeated it with 2 Dragon rage attacks. He sent out Tyrunt and I kept charmeleon in. Two more dragon rage attacks and I won.

Braixen Level 29
-Scratch
-Flame Charge
-Fire spin
-Psybeam

Fletchinder Level 27
-Ember
-Roost
-Razor wind
-Peck

Charmeleon Level 27
-Shadow Claw
-Dragon rage
-Ember
-Smokescreen

Lorde

So I walked through Parfum Palace and visited several luxurious rooms, then I dashed to the upper floor and snatched an Amulet Coin. I then sashayed back down to the first floor and visited the garden. I ran through a labyrinth of hedges and I found the Cut HM hidden among the bushes. I soon spotted the runaway Furfrou in the garden, but it fled and next Shauna appeared and helped me corner it. Afterwards, we watched the fireworks at Parfum Palace and I got the Poke Flute and skated back to Route 6. I made it to Route 7 and used the Poke Flute to awaken the Snorlax and thrashed it. I walked west and spotted Tierno and Trevor again and then I caught a wild Ducklett in the purple flowers and saved.

657.png
- Lv. 25
054.png
- Lv. 23
008.png
- Lv. 21
580.png
- Lv. 14

7 tyranitars

Well it has been a few days, I decided to speedrun pokemon yellow so that came up. Anyhow I have not forgotten about this either. After defeating the second gym I went to the next route. I got myself a Houndour and a Eevee. I evolved the Eevee in a Flareon right away. I defeated the trainers in that route and went to Geosenge town. i healed up and continued. I went to the mirrorcave and my Houndour evolved into a Houndoom I crossed the Cave and arrived in Shalour City. I went to the megastone guru and got told about megaevolution. I battled my rival for the ring. I won, and I got asked to defeat the gymleader Corina. So I challenged her gym. I started off with defeating the gymtrainers. Braixen evolved into Delphox and Fletchinder evolved into Talonflame. I challenged the gym leader. Her pokemon were no match for my Talonflame and Delphox. I went back to the megastone tower defeated her Lucario with mine and got the megastonethingie.

Delphox Level 36
-Psyshock
-Mystical Fire
-Fire spin
-Psybeam

Talonflame Level 35
-Ember
-Roost
-Razor wind
-Aerial Ace

Charmeleon Level 35
-Shadow Claw
-Dragon rage
-Flame Burst
-Smokescreen

Houndoom Level 29
-Smog
-Beat up
-Roar
-Bite

Flareon Level 33
-Fire Fang
-Strength
-Swift
-Bite

Lorde

So next on Route 7, I entered the Battle Chateau and spotted Viola inside and she explained the facility's purpose, then I stepped out again and hurried towards Connecting Cave. I sashayed through the cavern and arrived at Route 8 after slaying wild Pokemon. I soon encountered Sycamore's assistants Sina and Dexio and they upgraded my Pokedex to the Coastal Kalos Pokedex. I jumped on ledges and found items as I navigated through the rocky terrain and fought a few trainers, then I dashed into the flowers and I fought some wild Pokemon for the extra experience. I trained my team in the tall grass for 25 minutes, then I headed south and reached Ambrette Town by the coast and saved my game there.

657.png
- Lv. 27
054.png
- Lv. 25
008.png
- Lv. 23
580.png
- Lv. 18

7 tyranitars

After defeating the third gym and getting mega evolutions I went on my way to the next city. I had to pass some water so I picked up the free Lapras. I gave it surf and after defeating the trainers on that route I arrived in Coumarine City. On my way there my Charmeleon evolved into a Charizard. I went to the upper part of it Courmarine and defeated my rival before I challenged the gym. Suprisingly it was no match for my fire team.

Delphox Level 39
-Psyshock
-Mystical Fire
-Fire spin
-Psybeam

Talonflame Level 38
-Ember
-Roost
-Razor wind
-Aerial Ace

Charizard Level 38
-Shadow Claw
-Dragon rage
-Flame Burst
-Wing Attack

Houndoom Level 33
-Smog
-Fire Fang
-Roar
-Bite

Flareon Level 35
-Fire Fang
-Strength
-Swift
-Bite

Lorde

In Ambrette Town, I gossiped with my rival and then I sashayed to the local PC and healed my team. I went outside again and snatched the Rock Smash TM from a kid and visited the aquarium. I went downstairs past the exhibit and a Fisherman by the golden Magikarp statue gave me an Old Rod. Next I explored more of Ambrette Town and I visited the Fossil Lab and encountered Serena again and we gossiped with the researchers and learned about fossils. I was then advised to visit Glittering Cave to the east of Ambrette Town in order to find another scientist inside. I headed out and strutted south towards Hotel Ambrette next since I hadn't visited it yet and I got the Nature Power TM in the lobby and then saved.

657.png
- Lv. 27
054.png
- Lv. 25
008.png
- Lv. 23
580.png
- Lv. 18

Space Ghost

The Enigma in Space
Well I'm doing a Fairy-Type monotype challenge on ORAS, because Mega Altaria.
Just wanted to post on this thread to give it some much needed life. All my Pokemon will be eggs traded over from another game. My girlfriend has been kind enough to breed 4 other fairy types that were kept secret from me.
More info to come

Schala25

I started a Ground-type run in OR. So far I am in Granite Cave trying to catch a Geodude.

I'll be catching a Numel and Trapinch when I can. Not sure who my final teammate will be just yet. Probably Baltoy.

Badges: 1

Current team:
'Nodo' the forever Nincada
Lv. 11 (M)
Scratch
Cut
Leech Life
Sand Attack

'Oblisk' the Marshtomp
Lv. 17 (M)
Tackle
Mud Shot
Water Gun
Mud-Slap

Lorde

I headed out again and went to Route 9/Spikes Passage. I climbed on top of a Rhyhorn and moved steadily through Route 9 while thrashing wild Pokemon. I soon reached Glittering Cave's entrance and I ran along the dark tunnels and fought wild Pokemon in the shadows. I soon made it to the basement floor of Glittering Cave and approached a nasty Team Flare grunt. I quickly thrashed his Houndour and Zubat with Ducklett and Wartortle, then I kept running around and my rival and I fought a Team Flare pair and I finally found the scientist that I was supposed to meet. He offered me either the Jaw Fossil or Sail Fossil and I chose the Jaw Fossil. I used an Escape Rope to leave Glittering Cave and I saved at Route 9.

657.png
- Lv. 28
054.png
- Lv. 26
008.png
- Lv. 25
580.png
- Lv. 21

Aduro

Mt.BtlMaster
Well I'm doing a Fairy-Type monotype challenge on ORAS, because Mega Altaria.

Except Swablu is a dragon/flying unless it mega evolves, and altairanite isn't an option until you're over halfway through the game and until Altaria is as strong as the 6th gym's team.

grxma

I started a grass monotype on X last night. I don't normally choose a grass type starter. It's quite challenging, b/c grass is weak to so many types! But anyway, I started out with Chespin, and didn't gain any pokemon until Santalune forest, which was Pansage. I leveled up Chespin a bit (well, quite a lot) and defeated the 1st gym. It then took me a while to find a Budew, but I eventually caught one. I then battled Sycamore, and received a Bulbasaur. I am now on my way to Camphrier Town and have caught a Skiddo. Hopefully I'll have a full team soon!

Pansage lvl 14
Bulbasaur lvl 12
Budew lvl 15
Quilladin lvl 21
Skiddo lvl 11

Latch

Funky Fresh
Pokemon X Bug Monotype

JUST FINISHED CHAMPIONSHIP BATTLE

So, I've been wanting to do a bug monotype for so very long. Was going to do Black 2, but was like screw it, let's do X. Boy, this was a challenge. But, the Weedle grinding on route 2 was all worth it in the end.

I will post the team and a little back story/highlights/thoughts on each.

Beedrill/Vespoida (F) LVL 66

Moves: Poison Jab, Bug Bite, Toxic Spikes, Brick Break

Vespoida was a challenge at first but saved me a lot through out this run. It was the first addition to my team. I grinded it from a little Weedle all the way to lvl 15 just to have Bug Bite, so worth it. There were three instances in gym battles where it'd be my last Pokemon left and just OHKO and get me the badge. Even though the only reason I used it was to get it's Mega Evolution (and didn't/couldn't even use it) this thing was a joy to use and surprisingly carried my team through most of the game.

Crustle/Paguroidea (F) LVL 64
Moves: Bulldoze, X-Scissor, Rock Slide, Shadow Claw

Worth every smashed rock that went looking for it. Fast, tanky and powerful. This thing was a huge part to my team since it countered a lot of types that hurt my team. If it weren't for Paguroidea, I wouldn't have beaten the Elite Four. Absolutely tanked Malva. And did a hurting on Drasna too.

Scolipede/Oniscidea (F) LVL 62
Moves: Bulldoze, Poison Tail, Rollout, Steamroller

I always wondered why people would include this Pokemon in their runs. Now I understand why. Thing is a beast. Crazy attack stat and was able to Rollout sweep a lot of trainers. Early on I was thinking of taking her out but I gave her try and she proved worthy. Made a huge play on Siebold's Clawitzer (that think is so annoying).

Yanmega/Odonata (F) LVL 64

Moves: Bug Buzz, Air Slash, Psychic, Shadow Ball

Finding a Yanma in hordes takes FOREVER. But, in the end... extremely worth it. Yanma was only used for Uproar spams because she didn't couldn't really learn anything until near Victory Road; that's when her moveset became much more useful. Yanmega defeated Diantha's Hawlucha and Tyrantrum (I know, I was pretty surprised too). Yanmega wasn't supposed to be on the team because I was going to scrap her for Accelgor (but that would've been to mainstream). Glad I kept her, didn't realize she was that good of a Sp. Attaker.

Scizor/Mantodea (F) LVL 61

Moves: X-Scissor, Night Slash, Iron Head, Brick Break

Scizor (and it's mega evolution that I couldn't use) and Beedrill were the main reason I wanted to do this speed run. Scizor has such neat aesthetic. Scizor, unfortunately, wasn't obtainable until the 8th gym. It shined in the 8th gym but, after that it seemed quite weak for whatever reason. I was really upset actually. It's only memorable moment was it's battle against Winstrom's Scizor that it won. Oh well, still a cool Pokemon (should've used Durant; Scizor was clearly too mainstream).

Shuckle/Endolith (M) LVL 58
Moves: Toxic, Protect, Bulldoze, Infestation

Yes. I really used a stall Shuckle in a casual run (wanna fight about it?). Only really had this thing in my team to take hits so I can heal my other Pokemon, really. But, it really suprised towards the end. It defeated (stalled) Diantha's Aurorus and Goodra. Thank goodness it did, because that Goodra was going to give my team a lot of trouble. Thank you Shuckle for being a wall, you're were the best wall ever.

Honorable (Box) Mentions:

Lioone (M) LVL 51

What a good HM Slave

Pelipper/Gull (F) LVL 48

Thank you for waiting so patiently in the day care to be evolved, you too are a good HM slave.

Blastoise (M) LVL 36

What a good HM Slave (Yes, I used this as HM Slave.....).

Scatterbug/Ditrysia (F) LVL 8

Moves: Tackle, Stun Spore, String Shot

Thank you for your help on the first Gym and helping my little Weedle evolve and learn Bug Bite. You're Stun Spore is the only reason I am here today.

Vespiquen/Apinae (F) LVL 48
Moves: Power Gem, Attack Order, Heal Order, Air Slash

I was just going to use this for a bit, but it stuck with me for a large portion of this run and helped me a lot. Too bad her stats were below par, I am sorry we failed you (Gamefreak pls buff).

That concludes my Pokemon X Monotype. It was a lot of fun and surely a challenge. I wish I could post them to YouTube, it'd be a blast (don't have the type of equpment). If you liked this please leave feedback (somehow); I wanna do a Normal Type Mono on one of the Gens. Not sure yet. But, if I do I will post it here.

SORRY IN (NOT) ADVANCE FOR TYPOS

baguette

So I wanna do a Grass-only run with zigzagoon as my HM slave
My current Mons are Shroomish, Seedot and Grovyle
I definitely wanna keep Seedot because I've never used it yet and Grovyle to check out its Mega Evolution
Does anyone have any interesting suggestions for me to use?

edit: defeated the 1337 4 for the second time with the same team I used pretty much ever since I got my little fossil plant:
Fafnir the Sceptile lv 75 - for some reason I barely used it after defeating the gyms
Breloom lv 68 - very powerful IF it gets a hit but its many weaknesses and not uber-speed coupled with being underleveled let it get hit a lot in the 1337 4. It also was very competent when it came to catching legendaries. Stun Spore + False Swipe ftw
Shiftry lv 75 - very very useful with dark pulse, especially against Steven's Metagross in the end
Roserade lv 81 - toxic+venoshock wasa nice combo to use, also decent enough sp def to not get OHKO'd by literally every ice mon using blizzard on me *single tear* Also taught it dazzling gleam
Ludicolo lv 69 - saved my behind quite a lot this time. Ice beam and Surf make it a very useful slayer of a lot of things everyone else was weak to.
Cradily lv 86 - my new love. Taught it return since it other moves have very little PP and gave it a rocky helmet. it makes for a very nice wall so the others could heal and can hit quite hard. I also caught Rayquaza twice simply by plonking Cradily in front of it and letting it use stockpile while rayquaza rammed his head against the rocky helmet.

Last edited: