• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

6th Gen Nuzlocke Challenge Thread!

Lunar Jay

YIKES! I hope my encounters with wild pokemon so early in the journey aren't an indicator of how the entire quest will play out! Pi and Axis survived the first gym against Viola with Pi proving more valuable than I thought she would with Surskit putting water sport into play. Axis didn't do much at all, but I'm sure they'll even out with great victories soon enough.

But the gym isn't the most radical part of the journey thus far. As of right now, despite having gone through Santalune Forest and the routes surrounding the town, I have added only a female Bidoof named Darcy to the team. A Panpour, Parallel, was caught in the forest, but died attempting to acquire a partner. And for the route above town (can't remember the name at the moment) a male Combee was the encounter, and after the gym fight, even the weakest moves would have killed it. Thankfully, we do at least have a third team member and the streak of bad luck in the beginning is behind us.

Team currently:
Fennekin, male, lvl. 12, named Axis
Pidgey, female, lvl. 13, named Pi
Bidoof, female, lvl. 6, named Darcy

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
I wandered around Route 13 some more after mourning Sunny and I picked up a Guard Spec. that I found near a Worker after being pushed by wind. I followed another path and picked up the Charge Beam TM too. On my way southwest I saw a Team Flare grunt, whom I battled next. I defeated his Houndoom and Golbat with Express and Dolan and I got the Power Plant Pass from the grunt afterwards. I kept walking and finally arrived at the Kalos Power Plant and I entered the building. I met another Team Flare grunt inside and battled them. I beat their Scraggy and Croagunk with Dolan and Foxy and then I located a hidden Zap Plate in the room where several Kalos Power Plant workers were hiding. I then saved.

655.png
- Foxy Lv. 45
663.png
- Flappy Lv. 42
055.png
- Dolan Lv. 42
003.png
- Petal Lv. 41
675.png
- Express Lv. 42

Swoobat

So, after beating Pokémon Y a while ago, I hacve decided to beat Pokémon X with a nuzlocke challenge. I won't be using the Exp. Share because... simply because it's broken, and ruined my experience in Pokémon Y a bit. I will (try to) nickname all my Pokémon, and if I have already caught/seen a Pokémon in a route and meet it again, it won't count as my first Pokémon. So, there I go!

- The adventure starts, Professor Sycamore tells me about Pokémon.
- I change my clothes and leave home, where I meet Serena and Shauna. Time to go to the next town to get a Pokémon!
- So I go to Route 1, where my first encounter is... nah! Can this be called a route? I get to Aquacorde town.
- I'll start with Fennekin, as I used Froakie in Pokémon Y, and I like offense (actually, I had the three of them, the 3 starters, but used Froakie more because the Exp. Share made those traded Fennekin and Chespin level up very fast.) Let's hope I get a good nature!
- I received Fennekin! I named it Wizfox (horrible, I know) I also got the Pokédex, and the Prof's Letter.
- My Wizfox is Bold... Well, bad, but not the worst, at least it doesn't touch his Special Attack and Speed.
- I explored the town, getting myself a Potion, and after that I bought some Poké Balls, 11.
- Before going home I fought Shauna, whose Chespin I easily beat using Ember just twice.
- Got home, where I received the Town Map, and after riding Rhyhorn a bit, I went to all the way to Route 2.
- There, A wild Pidgey appeared! I caught it and named it Piu (I hope it can survive more than my Piu in my FireRed Nuzlocke!) It's male and has a Careful nature... So weak Gusts I guess...
- Serena taught me how to catch Pokémon... when I had already caught one. She caught a Bunnelby. I fought a trainer before entering Santalune Forest.
- There I met... A Pikachu! I caught it. Named it Jerry. It was male and had... an awful careful nature, so for now, I won't be training him...
- With Fennekin at level 8, I decided to train Piu a bit. I stop playing here.

653.png
Wizfox, Lv 8, Male, Bold Nature
;016; Piu, Lv 3, Male, Careful Nature
;025; Jerry, Lv 4, Male, Careful Nature

Empty!

None yet!

Lorde

So after the Kalos Power Plant crisis, I walked back to the room where all the Power Plant workers were hiding and I snatched the Flame Charge TM from a man there. I left the Kalos Power Plant afterwards and I went back out to Route 13. I skated south through sand and wind towards the northern entrance to Lumiose City and I found a Rare Candy after using Rock Smash. I arrived at Lumiose City's North Boulevard now that the power outage was over and I saw my pal Shauna upon arrival and I had to visit the Prism Tower after speaking with her. I quickly headed over there, but before entering the tower, which was also the Lumiose City Gym, I wanted to heal my Pokemon and explore Lumiose City some more.

655.png
- Foxy Lv. 45
663.png
- Flappy Lv. 43
055.png
- Dolan Lv. 42
003.png
- Petal Lv. 42
675.png
- Express Lv. 43

Vern

Why not both?
Okay. I'm starting my Nuzlocke of X. The reason I'm doing this was the game was getting boring, and I wanted a challenge.

So, I'm not familiar with all the rules and clauses of the Nuzlocke, but I am going to use a variation of it:

Shiny Pokemon: I am allowed to catch any shiny pokemon anywhere and use it.
Gifts: Gifts don't count as captures.
Fossils: Fossils don't count as captures.
Gyms: I am not allowed to counter-team the gym leader's type.
Set Encounters: On some routes, the first encounter is set. I am allowed to kill that pokemon and treat the next one I catch as the "first pokemon".
Same Pokemon: If the first pokemon is a pokemon I already have, I can kill it and use the next pokemon I encounter as my "first pokemon."

A question: What happens if all your pokemon "die" in a Nuzlocke? You fail the challenge?

My Team:

LV 10 fennekin: Foxy
LV 6 scatterbug: Buggy
LV 6 fletchling : Birdy.

Casualties: none.

I got my fennekin, and then proceeded to beat shuana with two embers. After waving goodbye to rhyhorn, I set out on my journey. I killed the pidgey: it's a set encounter. Then I proceeded to catch a fletchling level two. After beating the boy with the zigzagoon, I walked into the forest to meet with shauna and catch my next party member: buggy the scatterbug. I proceeded to beat the trainer with a fletchling and something with my then level five birdy and foxy. Now I'm still in santalune forest. My buggy got hurt pretty bad in a battle with a wild pansage, left with one hp.

Last edited:

Lorde

After sightseeing at the Prism Tower, I walked around Lumiose City and rode on a Gogoat Shuttle that took me to some other streets. I returned to North Boulevard after healing my Pokemon and I passed several cafes and I skated east and obtained an Expert Belt at the Fighting Dojo office. I also purchased a Lumiose Galette at a stand as I walked around the boulevard. I then skated over to the Lumiose Museum after passing more places and looked around after paying the entrance fee. I obtained the Dragon Tail TM from an Ace Trainer after seeing some paintings and I went out and visited Hotel Richissime and saw Mr. Bonding there and got another O-Power from him. I then snatched the Echoed Voice TM upstairs.

655.png
- Foxy Lv. 45
663.png
- Flappy Lv. 43
055.png
- Dolan Lv. 42
003.png
- Petal Lv. 42
675.png
- Express Lv. 43

Vern

Why not both?
After going through santalune forest, I caught a burmy and named it burm (original i know). I beat all the trainers, then proceeded to the gym to challenge viola.

I beat the trainers in the gym with ease, and challenged Viola. My birdy (fletchling) took down surskit with peck, but took two turns, allowing it to set up water sport on me, severely limiting my foxy's (fennekin) effectiveness. I had to stall for time, and giving birdy's being outsped and bubbled by surskit, now on yellow health, I decided to paralyse the vivillon with buggy. Buggy (scatterbug) risked his life, laying down stun spore and taking his tackle, leaving him on two health, no less. I sent in birdy to stall for time, and with luck water sport faded away soon after.

Foxy took down the vivillon with two super-effective embers, and we got the bug badge.

I ventured forth to catch a flabebe (flora). It was a yellow flower one. I did some training, and beat sycamore in his lab, and chose squirtle (squir) to bring some much needed water-type power to my team.

My team after beating Sycamore:

Foxy, Braixen (LV 17)
Birdy, Fletchling. (LV 16)
Buggy, Vivillon. (LV 13)
Flora, Flabebe. (LV 11)
Burm, Burmy. (LV 12)
Squir, Squitle. (LV 10)

Lorde

So I quickly left the top floors of Hotel Richissime at North Boulevard and I spoke to a woman at a counter at the lobby and I was given work to do like lost and found stuff and room service. I left the hotel afterwards and I visited several more places around North Boulevard's main street and snatched a Prism Scale from a little girl inside a nearby office building. I walked by the Battle Institute and the Lumiose Station as well, but I didn't go inside since I couldn't board a train yet. After roaming North Boulevard, I skated towards a plaza and then to Autumnal Avenue where I visited Restaurant Le Yeah. I participated in some Triple and Rotation Battles at said establishment and I slayed a few trainers there and saved.

655.png
- Foxy Lv. 46
663.png
- Flappy Lv. 44
055.png
- Dolan Lv. 43
003.png
- Petal Lv. 43
675.png
- Express Lv. 44

Räven Velish

black lives matter
Okay so I have beaten 1 gym so far. My team as of now is:

Neptune(Fragadier)
Opal(Fletchling)
Lucas(Riolu)
Kween(Female Combee)
Aunt Jemima(Metapod)
Vivian(Polar Vivillion)

I'm not going to use the last two, and I'm still debating over the Female Combee.

No casualties!

I am almost done with Route 4. I want to know which Kanto starter I should pick. I will NOT pick Squirtle because I already have Frogadier, and while I will do my best to keep it alive, if it dies there is more than enough Water Type Pokemon to replace them, many which are quite good. Plus Squirtle is only singe type and that isn't very beneficial to my team. So I narrowed it down to Bulbasaur and Charmander.

Bulbasaur - Evens out my Elemental Trio with Fletchling and Forgadier. High defense. Will be good against the 2nd and 6th Gyms.

Charmander - Can replace Fletchling if Fletchling dies, there is not many Fire type pokemon in this game, however, there is many Grass and Electric types to replace Bulbasaur. Overpowered Mega Evolution, as I am playing on Y. Good against 3rd, 4th, and 8th gyms.

So please vote - Bulbasaur or Charmander?

Last edited:

Lorde

I arrived at the Lumiose Gym and Clemont's sister Bonnie asked me questions and I battled against some Gym trainers including Schoolboys, Rising Stars, Ace Trainers and Poke Fans and their Electric-types as I proceeded. I finally arrived at the top floor of the tower where Gym Leader Clemont was and I battled against him after healing some of my Pokemon with Super Potions. I used Foxy against his Emolga and after enduring its Aerial Ace attack, I defeated it with Mystical Fire. I used Foxy against Clemont's Magneton as well and Mystical Fire was super effective against it. I switched out to Express and I used him against Clemont's Heliolisk. Heliolisk's Thunderbolt injured him, but Express beat it with Power-Up Punch.

655.png
- Foxy Lv. 47
663.png
- Flappy Lv. 45
055.png
- Dolan Lv. 44
003.png
- Petal Lv. 44
675.png
- Express Lv. 44

Räven Velish

black lives matter
I've beaten 1 gym, and I'm almost about to beat the second. Atm I'm just grinding at the Battle Chateue and doing random stuff in Lumiose City, but I've already reached Cyllage. I am NOT using Exp. Share because it makes the game too easy. Same with Super Training.

My team is:

Neptune(Frogadier) Lv.27
Barone(Cubone) Lv.17
Bulbapedia(Ivysaur) Lv.25
Opal(Fletchinder) Lv.26
Vespa(Vespiquen) Lv.25
Lucas(Lucario) Lv.26

Deaths:

Doughnut(Snorlax) Lv.19 - Died to a Team Flare Grunt with a Brick Breaking Scraggy.
Tyrone(Tyrunt) Lv.21 - Died to a Shellder with a 5-crit Icicle Spear.
Rest in peace.

Also, to Lorde, I'm curious - why don't you catch a sixth Pokemon?

Lorde

Also, to Lorde, I'm curious - why don't you catch a sixth Pokemon?

I just haven't gotten around to it ever since my Raichu "died." :(

So I won the Voltage Badge and the Thunderbolt TM from Clemont after slaying him at the Lumiose Gym and next I used the elevator to leave the Prism Tower. I got a Holo Caster message when I left though; apparently Professor Sycamore wanted me to visit Lysandre Cafe, so I skated over there. Once in the cafe, I spoke to Lysandre and I obtained the King's Rock. I left Lysandre Cafe after that and healed my darlings at the Pokemon Center and wandered over to Route 14. When I arrived at Laverre Nature Trail, I saw Serena and we battled each other. I used Dolan to beat her Meowstic, then Express to defeat Serena's Absol. Finally all that remained was her Greninja which Petal defeated with Petal Dance.

655.png
- Foxy Lv. 47
663.png
- Flappy Lv. 45
055.png
- Dolan Lv. 45
003.png
- Petal Lv. 44
675.png
- Express Lv. 44

Räven Velish

black lives matter
I have beaten two gyms, and im almost to Shalour City. My team, so far, is:

Neptune(Frogadier) Lv.31
Barone(Cubone) Lv.26
Opal(Fletchinder) Lv.29
Bulbapedia(Ivysaur) Lv.28
Vespa(Vespiquen) Lv.27
Lucas(Lucario) Lv.27

Also, they all have Pokerus. :D

Deaths:
Same as befire, thankfully. No new deaths yet.

And I don't thibk anyone is actually going to read this, but if they do, I have a couple questions.

Should I use Exp. Share? Are you using one?

And should I replace one of my Pokemon? In my PC, I have 12 Pokemon. Among them is a Sandile, a Hawlucha, and a Mr. Mime. These seem like somewhat good Pokemon to me. They are all at a close level to my main team. Should I replace one of my Pokemon?

EDIT: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! VESPA DIED!

Last edited:

Lorde

After dominating Serena at Route 14, I skated north and explored the route some more and I picked up a Rare Candy by the swing set at the playground and I moved straight towards the swamp. When I arrived at the marsh, I battled a Pokemon Ranger and I beat her and I started picking up items including a Tiny Mushroom behind a tree and a Cleanse Tag at a dead end. I battled another Pokemon Ranger and his Goomy with Dolan and then a Hex Maniac and her Litwick and Haunter with Express. I battled another male Pokemon Ranger, then a Fairy Tale Girl and I caught a wild Haunter and nicknamed it Fred. I cut down a tree and got the Will-O-Wisp TM afterwards. I also picked up a Roseli Berry nearby.

655.png
- Foxy Lv. 48
663.png
- Flappy Lv. 45
055.png
- Dolan Lv. 45
003.png
- Petal Lv. 45
675.png
- Express Lv. 45
093.png
- Fred - Lv. 31

Räven Velish

black lives matter
I've put my Y Nuzlocke on hold (because it's really boring and I'm already doing a regular run of Omega Ruby), and I am now doing a Nuzlocke for something no one on the forums has dared to do yet… Alpha Sapphire Nuzlocke! Named my character Dante, although the hat is not my real name. So far I have one Pokemon.

;252; - Virgil

Do you guys get it? I'm Dante? My starter is Virgil? If you do, have a cookie.

MWAHAHAHAHA! That was a trick question, for you gamers. Give me back my cookie. It's not from Devil May Cry. Nor is it from Dante's Inferno. Okay well maybe a little bit… It's actually from the original source. The Divine Comedy! Dante only escapes Hell and Purgatory with the help of his guide, Virgil. And while the Hoenn Region might not seem like Hell to you, it will be after all the deaths that will occur. And I need a guide, Virgil, to help me from this Hell. How fitting that I go with a guide through this land of death.

If you're wondering why I chose Brendan and Treeko as Dante and Virgil, it is because of appearance. Dante wore a lot of red clothing, as well as a funny looking hat. Seems like a match to Brendan for me! Virgil and Treecko were a little harder to place. Virgil usually wore all white, but rarely wore blue, which made me want to pick Mudkip at first, but I noticed something different. In almost every depiction of him, he was wearing a crown of laurel leaves. I honestly did not want to pick Mudkip AGAIN (I already did in Omega Ruby) so Treecko is a happy welcome. Especially considering Treecko is the hardest starter to use, making he game harder and more rewarding.

So let's get started with the rules:
1. I must catch the first Pokemon I see in an Area(Route, city, cave).
a. Dupes clause. If I find a Pokemon I've previously caught, I can skip it and catch the next Pokemn I find that has not been caught before.
b. Shiny clause. Can catch Shinies NO MATTER WHAT.
c. Interactable and Gift clause. Pokemon that are given to me or that are found in the overworld are allowed to be used by me.
2. If a Pokemon faints, it is considered dead and must be permanently boxed.
3. Nicknames for every Pokemon.
4. Battle style to "Set".
5. Exp. share turned off.
6. I am only allowed to use Poke Balls, no other balls.
7. Daycare banned.
8. If I black/white out, game over. Even if there is Pokemon still in the PC.
9. OPTIONAL. I do not know whether I will do this or not. No healing items can be used during battle, but can be freely used outside of battle. My Pokemon must win by there own merit, not because I healed them.

Sorry for any typos. I used an iPad Mini to write this. :D Also, if you have any other optional rules, suggest them to me and I may use them.

And with that said, let us begin!

Lorde

So I finally arrived in Laverre City and I snatched the Torment TM from a kid nearby and then I entered the Pokemon Center and I healed my party. I walked around the lobby and saw my pal Mr. Bonding again after changing my clothes and I got another O-Power from him. I bought several items at the Mart section and then I went back outside to explore Laverre City. I passed the Laverre City Gym in the middle of the city and I skated left and found a house where a person taught the Pledge moves to Starter Pokemon, then I moved on. I found an Ultra Ball that was hidden in a patch of grass and I obtained the Gengarite Mega Stone from a Hex Maniac in front of the Laverre Pokemon Fan Club and saved afterwards.

655.png
- Foxy Lv. 49
663.png
- Flappy Lv. 45
055.png
- Dolan Lv. 46
003.png
- Petal Lv. 46
675.png
- Express Lv. 45
093.png
- Fred - Lv. 33

Räven Velish

black lives matter
K Treecko sucks balls so I restarted my Nuzlocke.

Badges: 3

Team so far:
Itsy (Combusken) Lv. 29
Jay (Swellow) Lv. 28
Sparxy (Cosplay Pikachu) Lv. 27
Dr. Dre (Loudred) Lv. 27
Nachos (Lombre) Lv. 27
Shiny Metang Lv. 27

I'm not sure if it's bending Nuzlocke rules to use a Mystery Gift Pokemon, but I don't even care at this point.

I'm near Fallarbor Town.

As to Navarch, all the Nuzlocke rules say are to catch the first pokemon you run into in an area, which means Dex Nav is perfectly legal. I think Dex Nav has its advantages and disadvantages in a Nuzlocke run. It gives otherwise ordinary Pokemon a cool Egg move they cannot learn in the wild, making them more likable and allowing many more Pomemon to be used in a Nuzlocke team. However, it limits diversity by allowing you to choose what Pokemon you want to catch. That said, I kind of use Dex Nav but only for the first Pokemon I see shaking in the route. I mean, using Dex Nav for "Please no Surskit" is understandable, and catching the next thing you see would be fine. However, purposely using your Dex Nav to hunt for a Ralts - while it is legal, it is bending Nuzlocke rules and it makes the gameplay experience of a Nuzlocke less challenging, and therefore less rewarding. It also shows that you have absolutely no integrity. So, to Navarch, I hoped this answered your question. You can use it, just not in excess. Hope that makes sense.

Last edited:

Navarch

K Treecko sucks balls so I restarted my Nuzlocke.

Badges: 3

Team so far:
Itsy (Combusken) Lv. 29
Jay (Swellow) Lv. 28
Sparxy (Cosplay Pikachu) Lv. 27
Dr. Dre (Loudred) Lv. 27
Nachos (Lombre) Lv. 27
Shiny Metang Lv. 27

I'm not sure if it's bending Nuzlocke rules to use a Mystery Gift Pokemon, but I don't even care at this point.

I'm near Fallarbor Town.

As to Navarch, all the Nuzlocke rules say are to catch the first pokemon you run into in an area, which means Dex Nav is perfectly legal. I think Dex Nav has its advantages and disadvantages in a Nuzlocke run. It gives otherwise ordinary Pokemon a cool Egg move they cannot learn in the wild, making them more likable and allowing many more Pomemon to be used in a Nuzlocke team. However, it limits diversity by allowing you to choose what Pokemon you want to catch. That said, I kind of use Dex Nav but only for the first Pokemon I see shaking in the route. I mean, using Dex Nav for "Please no Surskit" is understandable, and catching the next thing you see would be fine. However, purposely using your Dex Nav to hunt for a Ralts - while it is legal, it is bending Nuzlocke rules and it makes the gameplay experience of a Nuzlocke less challenging, and therefore less rewarding. It also shows that you have absolutely no integrity. So, to Navarch, I hoped this answered your question. You can use it, just not in excess. Hope that makes sense.

Thanks for answering. I'm still up in the air here; Part of me wants to Nuzlocke through AS, reason being I can't build a team without not liking some part of it. A Nuzlocke would fix this, but I'm just not sure.

Lorde

Next I wandered into the Laverre Gym and I moved around using those ratchet warp-tiles throughout the dollhouse-shaped Gym. Naturally, I knew how to reach Gym Leader Valerie's area since I had experience with this Gym puzzle already, however, I wanted to battle against all of the Gym trainers inside for extra experience, so I walked around aimlessly looking for trainers. I battled the first Furisode Girl and I beat her Dedenne and Azumarill with Foxy and Petal and then I battled a second Furisode Girl at the bottom right corner of the Laverre Gym and I defeated her Aromatisse with Dolan's Surf. I battled two more Furisode Girls and their Fairy-type Pokemon and I saved my game before battling Leader Valerie.

655.png
- Foxy Lv. 50
663.png
- Flappy Lv. 46
055.png
- Dolan Lv. 47
003.png
- Petal Lv. 47
675.png
- Express Lv. 46
093.png
- Fred - Lv. 35