• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

6th Gen Nuzlocke Challenge Thread!

Kung Fu Ferret

The Usurper
Trying again in Alpha Sapphire. Just beat Roxanne.

Team:
Poseidon (Marshtomp)
Fenrir (Poochyena)
Neith (Beautifly)
Guan Yu (Zigzagoon)
Kukulkan (Taillow)
Apollo (Whismur)

Dead:
Susano (Wingull)

Kung Fu Ferret

The Usurper
Completed aforementioned Nuzlocke.

Final team:
Poseidon (Swampert)
Ah Puch (Sableye)
Kali (Manectric)
Apollo (Exploud)
Sylvanus (Cradily)
Jing Wei (Altaria)

PC:
Guan Yu (Zigzagoon)
Terra (Geodude)
Kukulkan (Taillow)
Chang'e (Marill)
Vulcan (Numel)
Scylla (Tentacool)
The Morrigan (Spinda)
Camazotz (Zubat)
Bacchus (Barboach)
Bellona (Machop)
Fenrir (Mightyena)
Ratatoskr (Sandshrew)
Ao Kuang (Magikarp)
Nox (Koffing)
Awilix (Gloom)
Loki (Kecleon)
Skadi (Sealeo)
Izanami (Vulpix)
Thoth (Doduo)
Chaac (Wailmer)
He Bo (Chinchou)
Hel (Shuppet)

Dead:
Susano (Wingull)
Neith (Beautifly)
Amaterasu (Latias)

Muun

Started a Alpha Sapphire Nuzlocke.

Current Location:Rustboro City

Salsa (Torchic - 101)
Jessie (Cascoon - 102)
Jaime (Wurmple - 104
Elert (Zizgagoon - Woods)
Route 116 - None

My Y Darklocke's on hiatus right now, so I started a standard Nuzlocke in OR. It's going okay so far, though I've had two deaths, those being Revali the Swellow and Callie the Tentacool. Basically, here's a short synopsis of how it's going.

Standard rules apply, no bells and whistles this time.

-Started with Talon the Treecko
-Defeated Rustboro with him, now a Grovyle.
-Defeated Brawly with Revali the Taillow. Caught Banjo the Makuhita
-Got to Slateport, got Folk the Electrike. Lost Revali against rival's Combusken, proving that it's not just the Sharlas that suffer the early bird curse, and making Unfezants my current only survivors.
-Defeated Wattson using Banjo, now a Hariyama
-Went north to Fallarbour. Caught Athena the Skarmory, lost Callie the Tentacool to wild Sandshrew.
-Went to Meteor Falls, then to Lavaridge. Caught Razor and Fleet, the shiny Zangooses.
-Defeated Flannery with Banjo
-Got Claw Fossil/Dillon the Anorith. Defeated Norman with Athena.
-Went to Fortree, got Shiranui the Latios. Defeated Winona with Folk and Shiranui.
-Went to Lilycove, then Mossdeep. Replaced Talon with Chance the Vileplume.

Right now, I'm just training for the gym. I probably will either train to level 45 or 47. I have confidence in Athena and Shiranui, however, to take out Tate and Liza without a problem. Those two are always my Doubles partners, and they've had great success so far.

EDIT: I took out Tate and Liza, and as promised, my leads were Athena and Shiranui. The battle started off okay- Shiranui's Shadow Ball took Lunatone to relatively low health. However, Athena missed Solrock, and took a Rock Slide. Next turn, both of them hit with the same moves. Lunatone was healed. However, Solrock set up Sunny Day, possibly announcing a future Fire Blast that would spell Athena's doom. Suspecting this, I focused Shiranui's Shadow Ball on it, while healing Athena just in case (thanks to her Sturdy). Shadow Ball took it out, and Lunatone missed the Hypnosis it tried to hit Athena with. A final Shadow Ball felled it.

EDIT: So I finished up to Sootopolis Gym. The Groudon sequence was nothing special, Shiranui Surfed everything to death, and Groudon itself was caught with the Master Ball. Wallace was a little more complicated, though. I used mostly Chance for this gym. His Luvdisc pretty much stalled him and Folk with Attract and Sweet Kiss before Chance finally broke through, and after that, I was locked into healing by his Milotic and its Ice Beam. However, I took the chance with Giga Drain, and quickly took it out. Chance then obliterated the rest, with Folk stepping in at the last moment to Discharge his Seaking.

Now for the preparations! Hope no-one dies between now and then.

EDIT: On second thought, I decided to replace Skarmory. I was reluctant to take Athena off the team, but her replacement, Kilaki the Sealeo, both gives me some additional defence against Drake (without having to risk Chance or Shiranui) and provides me with a good Water-user for Steven.

And yes, she's named for one of Xenoblade's Nopon. W2's Zazadan started a tradition.

Current Team:
;045; Chance, level 50 (M)
;310; Folk, level 48 (M)
;335; Razor, level 48 (F)
;348; Dillon, level 48 (M)
;381; Shiranui, level 48 (M)
;364; Kilaki, level 37 (F)

The Fallen:
;277; Revali, level 6-24 (Killed by Brendan's Combusken's Flame Charge)
;072; Callie, level 5-17 (Killed by wild Sandshrew's Magnitude)

Last edited:
Right, so I've come to the conclusion that the standard Nuzlocke rules are getting a little stale for me. So I decided to start a Wedlocke to make things more interesting!

My rules are:
-Standard Wedlocke rules apply- save for the last. I can rotate teams, but unless a partner is killed, the pair is permanently bonded. If they join the team again, they join as that pair.
-Dupes and Shiny Clause are on.
-EXP Share is off.

I started the game with a Torchic- Coincidentally female, Quiet, nicknamed Zeal after my EoT partner. I beat my rival easily, and soon after, caught her partner, the Dexnav Poochyena, named Ike. I carried on, catching Thistle the Zigzagoon/Jabber the Wurmple/Beautifly along the way. I carried on with the game, catching Phoenix the Taillow and Jamboree the Shroomish. I was training, when suddenly...

I managed to find a shiny Wurmple! I caught her, named her Violin and added her to my team. Fortunately, she evolved into Silcoon, so I took Thistle and Jabber from my team and put her in instead.

I carried on, taking out the Team Magma member easily with Zeal, and carried on to Rustboro, where I caught Violin's partner, Boomer the Whismur, and Bucky the Skitty.

Team so far:
;256; Zeal, level 16 (F)/;260; Ike, level 13 (M)
;276; Phoenix, level 13 (M)/;285; Jamboree, level 13 (F)
;267; *Violin, level 12 (F)/;291; Boomer, level 12 (M)

Following my White Nuzlocke, I decided to embark on my first-ever Wonderlocke in Y.

• I was pretty pleased (and amused) to wind up with Pikachu as my starter (though his natural frailty, only worsened by his Nature, makes me a little nervous about his durability.)
• My second addition, Throh, was tricky to train at first, since he could only inflict damage with "Bind" and "Bide" until he learned "Seismic Toss" at Lv. 13. (Thankfully, he could utilize the "Return" and "Bulldoze" TMs I acquired in Lumiose City.)
• Metapod evolved into Butterfree following a truly glorious (anime-inspired) Metapod-on-Metapod match against Schoolboy Rabbie on Route 22. Her Compound Eyes Ability + powder move arsenal make for a very nifty combo!

THE BUG BADGE: I figured it was fitting to start with my starter in my first Kalosian Gym battle, and Pikachu's "Thunder Shock" made him into a living bug zapper for Viola's Surskit. Worried about Pikachu getting trapped by "Infestation", I brought out Butterfree for a butterfly brawl against Viola's Vivillon. Although the effects of Butterfree's "Sleep Powder" wore off surprisingly fast, a "Poison Powder" + "Confusion" combo eventually earned me the Bug Badge.

• I was starting to feel pretty unenthusiastic about my team, partially because a lot of my options were Pokémon that I would've likely gotten/have previously used in a Nuzlocke - until Shroomish and Èvoli (Eevee) re-ignited my excitement! I considered evolving Èvoli into Vaporeon or Sylveon (Glaceon would've been tempting, since I've never used one before, but the Ice Rock is always buried SO deep in the game.) Ultimately, I couldn't resist the chance to travel with my all-time favorite: Espeon. I haven't included one in a team since my very first Black 2 playthrough.

THE CLIFF BADGE: Unsurprisingly, the Rock-type Cyllage City Gym set the perfect stage for the Throh Show. After he outsped and one-shotted Grant's Amaura with his recently-learned "Storm Throw", I decided to mix things up a little to avoid having the fastest, easiest Gym match ever. I tried "Bulldoze" instead, which Grant's Tyrunt withstood, then swapped in Shroomish to drop "Leech Seed." Although I would've liked to keep Shroomish on the field, she was taking much damage from Tyrunt's "Rock Tomb", so I brought back Throh for one more "Storm Throw", thus earning me the Cliff Badge.

Pikachu
- Lv. 25, Gentle, Static, Aquacorde Town
Throh
- Lv. 25, Timid, Guts, Route 2
Butterfree
- Lv. 25, Timid, Compound Eyes, Santalune Forest
Charmander
- Lv. 25, Relaxed, Blaze, Route 4
Shroomish
- Lv. 26, Impish, Poison Heal, Connecting Cave
Espeon
- Lv. 25, Hasty, Synchronize, Route 8
• I'm holding off on evolving Charmander until he learns "Flame Burst" (which hopefully doesn't prove to be a fatal mistake, since I haven't looked up exactly when that'll happen.) Same goes for Shroomish and "Spore" (though I know I'll be waiting a while for that one.)

Zubat
- Jolly, Inner Focus, Route 3
Latios Niv34 {Linoone}
- Lonely, Pickup, Route 22
Pidgey
- Calm, Tangled Feet, Lumiose City
Drewl V3 {Gloom}
- Relaxed, Chlorophyll, Route 5
Inkay
- Brave, Suction Cups, Route 6
メグロコ {Sandile}
- Serious, Moxie, Route 7
Bunnelby
- Adamant, Cheek Pouch, Ambrette Town
Magikarp
- Adamant, Swift Swim, Route 9
Abra
- Rash, Synchronize, Glittering Cave
Roselia
- Timid, Poison Point, Cyllage City
None
1.) I must catch the first Pokémon that I encounter in each Route/Area, send it through Wonder Trade, and keep whatever Pokémon I receive. Shinies are an exception.
1a.) Duplicates & Over-leveled Clause: I must "send back" any Pokémon I've already received or any Pokémon too high-leveled to obey.
2.) I must release every Pokémon that faints.
3.) I can accept gift Pokémon and send them through Wonder Trade, if they are the first and only Pokémon that I obtain in that location.
4.) I can only perform regular trades for the purpose of evolution and only using items obtained within this game (if any are required.) I cannot perform any in-game trades.
5.) I cannot use any healing items during battles (against Trainers or wild Pokémon), apart from any items held by my Pokémon at the start of battles.
6.) Battles must always be set to "Set", not "Shift."
7.) The EXP Share must be turned off at all times.
8.) I cannot earn more than two Affection hearts per Pokémon using Pokémon Amie.
9.) I cannot use "O Powers" at any time.

Last edited:
With my fourth Gym Badge in hand, I've reached the halfway point of my Y Wonderlocke.

• Serena truly earned the title of "rival" by causing my team's first death during our first-ever battle at the Tower of Mastery. Butterfree breezed through Meowstic and Absol with "Silver Wind", but when Serena's starter emerged, I decided to bring out Charmeleon (who'd evolved while traversing Reflection Cave) and turn our match into a real firefight. His "Rock Tomb" inflicted less damage than I expected, allowing Braixen to trap him on the field with "Fire Spin" and blast away with "Psybeam." RIP. Although I won the coveted Mega Ring after Pikachu easily eliminated Braixen with "Quick Attack", it certainly wasn't worth the cost of Charmeleon's life.

THE RUMBLE BADGE: Korrina's Fighting-focused Shalour City Gym seemed like the perfect opportunity for Espeon to make his Gym battle debut. After enduring a "Fake Out" from Mienfoo, Espeon obliterated both her and Machoke with "Psybeam." After showering Korrina's ace, Hawlucha, with "Sand Attack", Espeon bowed out so that Butterfree could enjoy a little time in the limelight (partially because I didn't plan to keep her on the team for much longer.) Butterfree showed how bugs can totally dominate birds by blasting her way to victory with "Psybeam", thus earning me the Rumble Badge.

• As much as I enjoyed travelling with Butterfree, who certainly exceeded expectations for an early-game Bug-type, I knew it was time to send her into early retirement when I received a Tirtouga (in exchange for a Tentacool) as my Azure Bay addition. I'd been hoping for a Water-type for a while (besides Magikarp, since I've used Gyarados in several prior playthroughs), and this will be my very first time raising a Tirtouga.

THE PLANT BADGE: Mowing down Coumarine City Gym Leader Ramos proved to be an even easier task than I expected. Nidorino (who I'd added to the team after Charmeleon's untimely demise) surprisingly outsped Jumpluff and annihilated him with a single "Poison Jab." Knowing that Ramos's Gogoat could utilize "Bulldoze", I replaced Nidorino with Throh, who effortlessly endured both "Bulldoze" and "Take Down." After boosting his power with "Bulk Up", Throh decimated Gogoat with "Poison Jab" and Weepinbell with "Strength", thus earning me the Plant Badge.

Pikachu
- Lv. 34, Gentle, Static, Aquacorde Town
Throh
- Lv. 35, Timid, Guts, Route 2
Shroomish
- Lv. 35, Impish, Poison Heal, Connecting Cave
Espeon
- Lv. 34, Hasty, Synchronize, Route 8
Nidorino
- Lv. 35, Impish, Rivalry, Route 10
Tirtouga
- Lv. 35, Impish, Solid Rock, Azure Bay
Butterfree
- Timid, Compound Eyes, Santalune Forest
Zubat
Latios Niv34 {Linoone}
Pidgey
Drewl V3 {Gloom}
Inkay
メグロコ {Sandile}
Bunnelby
Magikarp
Abra
Roselia
Chuchmur {Whismur}
- Sassy, Soundproof, Route 11
Ralts
- Relaxed, Synchronize, Reflection Cave
ALDEAPOKEMON {Illumise}
- Naughty, Tinted Lens, Shalour City
삐딱구리 {Croagunk}
- Modest, Dry Skin, Tower of Mastery
EH VOLEVI!! {Wingull}
- Modest, Keen Eye, Route 12
Charmeleon
- Relaxed, Blaze, Route 4
- Fell to Serena's Braixen at the Tower of Mastery
1.) I must catch the first Pokémon that I encounter in each Route/Area, send it through Wonder Trade, and keep whatever Pokémon I receive. Shinies are an exception.
1a.) Duplicates & Over-leveled Clause: I must "send back" any Pokémon I've already received or any Pokémon too high-leveled to obey.
3.) I can accept gift Pokémon and send them through Wonder Trade, if they are the first and only Pokémon that I obtain in that location.
4.) I can only perform regular trades for the purpose of evolution and only using items obtained within this game (if any are required.) I cannot perform any in-game trades.
5.) I cannot use any healing items during battles (against Trainers or wild Pokémon), apart from any items held by my Pokémon at the start of battles.
8.) I cannot earn more than two Affection hearts per Pokémon using Pokémon Amie.

Last edited:
Due to the short gaps between the third through sixth Kalos League Gyms, I've been progressing at a pretty fast clip in my Y Wonderlocke.

THE VOLTAGE BADGE: I decided to unleash my two most-recently-evolved teammates on the Electric-centric Lumiose City Gym. Nidoking (who I'd evolved while battling my way up Prism Tower) crushed Clemont's Emolga with a single "Rock Tomb", but sustained a surprising amount of damage from Magneton's "Mirror Shot" while laying down two layers of "Toxic Spikes." Raichu (who I'd evolved after chasing Team Flare out of the Kalos Power Plant) eventually wore down the Magnet Pokémon with "Dig", but needed to retreat before he had the chance to finish off Clemont's ace: Heliolisk. I relied on the unexpectedly-dependable Shroomish to bring this match to a close with "Leech Seed" and "Giga Drain", thus earning me the Voltage Badge.

THE FAIRY BADGE: Nidoking's "Toxic Spikes" provided invaluable assistance in my victory over Laverre City Gym Leader Valerie. Since her lead, Mawile, only utilized Dark-type moves and "Iron Defense", I was given the perfect opportunity to set two layers on the field before seizing the first win with a "Dig" onslaught. Although Mr. Mime's screen moves could've proved tricky, the bad posion brought on by "Toxic Spikes" allowed Espeon to chip away at the Barrier Pokémon with some "Dig" strikes of his own. As much as I loved the idea of an Eeveelution showdown for my Laverre Gym finale, Sylveon's "Dazzling Gleam" hit Espeon hard, so I made one last substitution and brought Tirtouga into his first-ever Gym battle. Thanks to both Nidoking's "Toxic Spikes" and Espeon's "Dig", Tirtouga only needed to unleash a single "Aqua Tail" to end the match, thus earning me the Fairy Badge. Bolstered by this momentous triumph, Tirtouga evolved!

Raichu
- Lv. 42, Gentle, Static, Aquacorde Town
Throh
- Lv. 42, Timid, Guts, Route 2
Shroomish
- Lv. 43, Impish, Poison Heal, Connecting Cave
Espeon
- Lv. 44, Hasty, Synchronize, Route 8
Nidoking
- Lv. 43, Impish, Rivalry, Route 10
Carracosta
- Lv. 43, Impish, Solid Rock, Azure Bay
Butterfree
Zubat
Latios Niv34 {Linoone}
Pidgey
Drewl V3 {Gloom}
Inkay
メグロコ {Sandile}
Bunnelby
Magikarp
Abra
Roselia
Chuchmur {Whismur}
Ralts
ALDEAPOKEMON {Illumise}
삐딱구리 {Croagunk}
EH VOLEVI!! {Wingull}
ナマケロ {Slakoth}
- Quiet, Truant, Route 13
Wurmple
- Naive, Shield Dust, Route 14
Dugtrio
- Rash, Arena Trap, Laverre City
Charmeleon

Last edited:

Kung Fu Ferret

The Usurper
Attempting a run in Omega Ruby with the basic rules, and Dupes Clause. Also, I'll try not to rely too heavily on Mega Evolution. And my nicknaming theme this time around will be.... figures in Norse Mythology! My starter will be Surt the Torchic!

Kung Fu Ferret

The Usurper
Not sure if I should double-post here or not (I see other users do it sometimes in various challenge threads), but I have a huge update.

Current amount of badges: 2.
Deaths: 0

Current team:
Surt the level 22 Combusken (Route 101)
Fenrir the level 15 Poochyena (Route 103)
Baldr the level 15 Dustox (Route 102)
Bragi the level 15 Whismur (Rusturf Tunnel)
Thor the level 10 Electrike (Route 110)
Valkyrie the level 10 Nincada (Route 116)

PC backup:
Ratatoskr the level 12 Zigzagoon (Route 104)
Hreidmar the level 12 Slakoth (Petalburg Woods)
Frigg the level 10 Magikarp (Dewford Town)
Hel the level 15 Zubat (Granite Cave)
Kraken the level 11 Tentacool (Route 107)

And now to take on Team Magma in the Oceanic Museum...

I've officially collected all eight Kalos League Gym Badges in my Y Wonderlocke.

• In an attempt to keep my main team from getting TOO over-leveled (which is definitely an issue with the traded-EXP-boosts), I started rotating in Butterfree and Latios Niv34 (Linoone.) Even this late in the game, Butterfree performed beautifully against most Route Trainers (especially after learning "Bug Buzz" and "Quiver Dance.") Linoone's learnset is pretty terrible, though (even by regional rodent standards.) While Raticate, Bibarel, Watchog, and Gumshoos have options like "Hyper Fang", "Super Fang", and "Crunch", Linoone doesn't even learn "Slash" until Lv. 47! At least "Pin Missile" offers some variety (and "Play Rough", once I reached Dendemille Town.)
• I was REALLY excited to get Gligar as my Route 17 acquisition (in exchange for Sneasel), since I've never used one in any prior playthrough…until I learned that the Razor Fang is ONLY available in the Battle Maison! I decided to give him a shot with Eviolite, and while he managed to hold his own pretty well while leveling-up in the Battle Chateau, he wasn't able to contribute much in my match against Serena in Anistar City. If I don't take the time to set up with "Swords Dance", his offensive power is pretty lackluster (and it doesn't help that I don't have access to "Earthquake" yet.)

THE PSYCHIC BADGE: Although Olympia is officially a Psychic-type specialist, Raichu benefitted from the fact that 2/3 of her team share a vulnerability to electricity. A single Magnet-boosted "Thunderbolt" grounded her Sigilyph, so I decided to mix things up with "Nuzzle" when her Slowking emerged. Unfortunately, this left Raichu susceptible to Slowking's "Yawn", so I had to recall him after he finished frying the Royal Pokémon with "Thunderbolt." On the bright side, this created the perfect opportunity to bring out Gligar, who showed his defensive potential by brushing off Meowstic's "Fake Out" and withstanding two "Psychic" blasts before slicing his way to victory with "X Scissor", thus earning me the Psychic Badge.

• I was pleasantly surprised to make it through the entire Team Flare climax fatality-free! Espeon, Carracosta, and Breloom (who'd finally evolved back in Frost Cavern) proved especially helpful against Lysandre. Breloom in particular deserves some commendation for going head-to-head with Lysandre's Mega Gyarados (at the same level.) Carracosta bore the brunt of Gyarados's Intimidate after taking down Pyroar and Honchkrow, which allowed Breloom to switch into a meager "Earthquake", fire off "Spore" for safety, and finally put Lysandre's ambitions to rest with a Miracle Seed-boosted "Seed Bomb."
• Gligar's fate was sealed the moment I received Phanpy as my Terminus Cave addition (in exchange for Durant.) Phanpy/Donphan are some of my all-time-favorites, and I haven't used one on a team since my first SoulSilver playthrough. I can't justify keeping three Ground-types in rotation at this point, and seeing as Phanpy actually CAN evolve before the credits roll, the choice is clear. She arrived at Lv. 23, and upon visiting the Move Reminder, I discovered that she has access to the Egg moves "Ice Shard" AND "Play Rough." She evolved following a battle alongside Raichu against some Twins in the Winding Woods. At least Gligar will always be remembered for contributing to my Anistar Gym victory.
• Just as Charmeleon fell to Serena back at the Tower of Mastery, my team's second death also came at the hands of another friend/"rival": Tierno. Although Throh had already sustained some damage from Shauna's Goodra, I was totally confident that he could quickly finish off Tierno's Crawdaunt with one super-effective "Storm Throw"; much to my surprise, this tragic miscalculation cost Throh his life. Throh's death was especially devastating, since he'd been a strong contender for this journey's MVP, overcoming his detrimental Nature and shallow early movepool. As a Pokémon species, Throh never appealed to me much, but this one's bulk proved invaluable on many occasions during this playthrough. Although his Fighting-type did overlap with Breloom once she finally evolved, I'd still envisioned taking on the Elite Four with Throh by my side. RIP.

THE ICEBERG BADGE: Throh's absence was definitely palpable as I prepped for my eighth and final Kalos Gym match against Ice-type authority Wulfric. I opted to lead with Espeon, who secured the first victory over Wulfric's Abomasnow with two blasts of Fighting-type "Hidden Power." Fearing "Crunch" from Wulfric's ace, Avalugg, I replaced Espeon with Raichu, who still wound up with more than half of his health eaten away, partially due to the lingering Hail brought on by Abomasnow's Snow Warning. Thankfully, "Crunch" triggered Raichu's Static, which made it easier for Carracosta to reduce the Iceberg Pokémon to ice cubes without sustaining too much damage. Although Cryogonal's "Confuse Ray" had me sweating amidst all this snow, Carracosta eventually broke through the haze and landed a super-effective "Rock Slide", this earning me the Iceberg Badge.

Raichu
- Lv. 59, Gentle, Static, Aquacorde Town
Breloom
- Lv. 58, Impish, Poison Heal, Connecting Cave
Espeon
- Lv. 60, Hasty, Synchronize, Route 8
Nidoking
- Lv. 58, Impish, Rivalry, Route 10
Carracosta
- Lv. 60, Impish, Solid Rock, Azure Bay
Donphan
- Lv. 58, Adamant, Sturdy, Terminus Cave
Butterfree
Zubat
Latios Niv34 {Linoone}
Pidgey
Drewl V3 {Gloom}
Inkay
メグロコ {Sandile}
Bunnelby
Magikarp
Abra
Roselia
Chuchmur {Whismur}
Ralts
ALDEAPOKEMON {Illumise}
삐딱구리 {Croagunk}
EH VOLEVI!! {Wingull}
ナマケロ {Slakoth}
Wurmple
Dugtrio
Pansage
- Jolly, Gluttony, Route 15
Ledyba
- Timid, Early Bird, Lost Hotel
Poochyena
- Timid, Run Away, Route 16
Snubbull
- Hardy, Run Away, Frost Cavern
Gligar
- Rash, Hyper Cutter, Route 17
Taillow
- Quiet, Guts, Route 18
Swablu
- Timid, Natural Cure, Couriway Town
Fletchling
- Gentle, Big Pecks, Route 19
Limagma {Slugma}
- Gentle, Magma Armor, Route 20
Doduo
- Gentle, Run Away, Pokémon Village
Charmeleon
Throh
- Timid, Guts, Route 2
- Fell to Tierno's Crawdaunt on Route 19

I've officially become the Kalos League Champion in my Y Wonderlocke. Huzzah!

• It was a tough call, but I decided not to bring Nidoking to the Pokémon League. I'd been mulling over how to counter (former) Champion Diantha's Mega Gardevoir for a while, and realized that my team really lacked anyone with respectable Special Defense. I'll always remember and appreciate Nidoking's contributions at the Coumarine, Lumiose, AND Laverre Gyms, but I felt the need to recruit someone with better bulk (and more useful resistances) for the last obstacle of my journey. Magnemite, who I'd received in exchange for an Ursaring from Route 21, seemed like just the Mon for the job. Since my attempt at incorporating Gligar into my team didn't quite pan out (mostly due to Donphan stealing his thunder), I attached the Eviolite to Magneton instead.

VS MALVA: I considered using a "Shell Smash" strategy for my Elite Four debut against Fire-type fiend Malva, but opted to keep Carracosta's bulk intact and just went with all-out-offense instead. "Aqua Tail" washed away Pyroar, Torkoal, and Chandelure, but by the time Malva's Talonflame swooped onto the battlefield, Carracosta had accumulated quite a bit of damage from "Wild Charge", "Earthquake", and "Shadow Ball." I switched in Donphan, but because I'd foolishly forgotten to teach her "Rock Slide", she could only chip away at Talonflame with "Ice Shard" and "Play Rough." Thankfully, Malva decided to utilize a Full Restore just as I decided to bring out Magneton. My alloy ally truly earned its right to be at the Pokémon League by withstanding a "Flare Blitz" and finishing the match with "Thunderbolt."

VS SIEBOLD: Since I didn't expect him to be particularly useful against the last two Elite Four members or the Champion, I let my dear starter, Raichu, bask in the spotlight against Siebold. He fried both Clawitzer and Gyarados with a single "Thunderbolt", then tripped up Barbaracle with just one "Grass Knot." A clean sweep at the Pokémon League didn't feel very artful, though, so when Siebold's Starmie surfaced, I swapped in Espeon for a brief Psychic showdown. Even with "Light Screen" in place, Espeon sent Starmie down the drain with two "Shadow Ball" blasts.

VS DRASNA: I'd assumed that Donphan could tear right through Drasna's den of Dragons, but she proved me very wrong by serving up one of the trickiest matches of my entire Kalosian journey. Donphan VS Dragalge went just as I expected, with a single "Earthquake" shaking the Mock Kelp Pokémon into submission. Her Altaria, however, proved to be her real secret weapon. Donphan's "Play Rough" failed to seize the win in one hit, giving Altaria the time to set up "Cotton Guard" and Drasna the time to use a Full Restore. Although Altaria's first "Sing" missed its mark, I couldn't risk Donphan falling asleep, so I brought out Magneton while Drasna used another Full Restore. Magneton soon fell asleep, but successfully sponged hits while snoozing, until it finally awoke and landed "Toxic." At this point, I probably should've just left Magneton on the field, but I decided to send out Carracosta, who wound up falling prey to "Sing" as well. Fortunately, "Toxic" slowly but surely took its toll on Altaria while Carracosta slumbered. I didn't want to pit an incapacitated Carracosta against Drasna's Druddigon, however, so I brought back Donphan. The surprises continued, as Druddigon promptly removed Donphan from the field with "Dragon Tail" and dragged out Breloom, who I hadn't planned to use in this match at all. I took this chance to do some sleep shenanigans of my own: firing off "Spore" and taking Druddigon out of the match with a "Power-Up Punch" pummeling. Knowing that Breloom couldn't withstand any Flying-type moves from Drasna's Noivern, I called upon Donphan once again, who took more damage from a single "Air Slash" than I'd anticipated. Desperately trying to avoid any deaths, I gave Carracosta another chance, but he refused to wake up, so I rotated in Magneton again. Magneton took "Flamethrower" a bit better than I expected, but after landing "Toxic", I knew that I couldn't keep it out any longer. With few options left, I placed my trust in Espeon, who withstood "Flamethrower" and finally brought this crucial confrontation to an end with a critical-hit "Dazzling Gleam."

VS WIKSTROM: Although not quite as stressful as my match against Drasna, my bout with the chivalrous and Steel-clad Wikstrom still caught me somewhat off-guard. Donphan buried his Klefki with a single "Earthquake", then unleashed an "Ice Shard" + "Earthquake" combo to break through Probopass's Sturdy (and the lingering effects of Klefki's "Torment.") When Wikstrom's Aegislash entered the ring, however, I realized that I wasn't sufficiently prepared. "King's Shield" really threw me for a loop, allowing Aegislash to thoroughly cripple both Donphan and Breloom before finally falling to Carracosta's "Aqua Tail." Despite claiming victory, Carracosta did not escape that round unscathed, so I had to withdraw him once Wikstrom's Scizor appeared. Thankfully, bulky Magneton was still raring to go, and finished off Wikstrom's final fighter with a series of "Thunderbolt" jolts.

VS DIANTHA: With the title of Kalos League Champion on the line, my devoted starter Raichu got the momentum rolling in my favor early on by instantly KO'ing Diantha's Hawlucha with "Thunderbolt." I swapped in Breloom against her imposing Tyrantrum and immediately unleashed "Spore" (just in case one "Brick Break" wasn't sufficient.) Breloom easily chopped through the fearsome fossil, but in order to save her from Aurorus's devastating "Blizzard", I continued the switch-fest by bringing out Carracosta. Carracosta took both "Blizzard" and "Thunder" like a champ, eventually downing the dino with a "Rock Slide" + "Aqua Tail" combo. Due to Carracosta's massive Grass weakness, I had to withdraw him as soon as Diantha's Gourgeist appeared. I'd hoped that Espeon could withstand a Grass attack and finish things with "Shadow Ball"; however, "Seed Bomb" hit hard enough that a "Shadow Sneak" would've certainly killed Espeon, so I had to adjust my plans. Donphan shrugged off the "Shadow Sneak", but was unable to inflict significant damage with "Fire Fang" due to the "Reflect" set up by Aurorus. After Gourgeist used "Trick-or-Treat" to imbue Donphan with Ghost-type attributes, I needed to re-strategize once again. Carracosta took "Phantom Force" without much trouble, but needed to exit again as soon as Diantha utilized a Full Restore on Gourgeist. Whittling away at the pesky pumpkin with Breloom's "Rock Slide" didn't prove especially fruitful, due to a surprise Sitrus Berry and Diantha's Full Restore supply, but eventually maanged to set the stage for Donphan to switch into a "Phantom Force" and unleash a final "Fire Fang." Much to my surprise, Gourgeist turned out to be my greatest obstacle in this match, as Donphan (who was admittedly a bit over-levelled at this point) steamrolled the rest of Diantha's roster with "Play Rough" (Goodra) and "Earthquake" (Mega Gardevoir), thus earning me the title of Kalos League Champion.

Raichu
- Lv. 68, Gentle, Static, Aquacorde Town
Breloom
- Lv. 68, Impish, Poison Heal, Connecting Cave
Espeon
- Lv. 68, Hasty, Synchronize, Route 8
Carracosta
- Lv. 70, Impish, Solid Rock, Azure Bay
Donphan
- Lv. 70, Adamant, Sturdy, Terminus Cave
Magneton
- Lv. 68, Gentle, Sturdy, Route 21
FINAL THOUGHTS & PSA: Raichu showed himself to be a shockingly resilient starter! I was almost certain that he and/or Espeon would fall before I reached the Pokémon League. Same goes for Breloom, actually, who wound up being surprisingly usable throughout my journey, even before she finally evolved in the mid-40's (after learning "Spore.") I never grew quite as attached to Nidoking, and I'm really not sure why, but I still feel a bit bad for denying him any Pokémon League glory after he contributed quite a bit along the road there. I would've made Donphan work no matter what, but having access to "Ice Shard" and "Play Rough" (in addition to her natural bulk) made her an especially critical acquisiton for that final stretch. I was surprised to not need Magneton to counter Mega Gardevoir after all, but it still fought to deserve its place on the final team, especially against Malva and Wikstrom.

Although I did enjoy this playthrough and the team that I gradually built (including everyone we lost or rotated out along the way), I wouldn't recommend doing a Gen VI Wonderlocke to anyone now, unless you really want the challenge of working with a roster filled with mostly common early-Route Pokémon. SuMo had been out for several months before I even started this Wonderlocke, so I figured that many of the players who used to send breedjects through Wonder Trade had long since moved onto Gen VII, but I was still hoping to receive a slightly more diverse mix of offerings (the Dupes Clause definitely saved me from an even more dire Zigzagoon + Zubat + Bunnelby situation.) Huge "THANKS!" to anyone who took the time to read about my adventure, and happy gaming!

Butterfree
Zubat
Latios Niv34 {Linoone}
Pidgey
Drewl V3 {Gloom}
Inkay
メグロコ {Sandile}
Bunnelby
Magikarp
Abra
Roselia
Nidoking
- Impish, Rivalry, Route 10
Chuchmur {Whismur}
Ralts
ALDEAPOKEMON {Illumise}
삐딱구리 {Croagunk}
EH VOLEVI!! {Wingull}
ナマケロ {Slakoth}
Wurmple
Dugtrio
Pansage
- Jolly, Gluttony, Route 15
Ledyba
- Timid, Early Bird, Lost Hotel
Poochyena
- Timid, Run Away, Route 16
Snubbull
- Hardy, Run Away, Frost Cavern
Gligar
- Rash, Hyper Cutter, Route 17
Taillow
- Quiet, Guts, Route 18
Swablu
- Timid, Natural Cure, Couriway Town
Fletchling
- Gentle, Big Pecks, Route 19
Limagma {Slugma}
- Gentle, Magma Armor, Route 20
Doduo
- Gentle, Run Away, Pokémon Village
Rufflet
- Lax, Hustle, Victory Road
Charmeleon
Throh
- Timid, Guts, Route 2
- Fell to Tierno's Crawdaunt on Route 19

vitonxu

Started a X Nuzlocke.

1. Started with Chespirito, the Chespin. Caught a Pidgey (Pidona) in Route 2, a Weedle (Decepciona) in Santalune Forest, a Fletchling (Robins) in Route 3, a Bidoof (Dilma) in Route 22. Earn the Bug Badge with no problems.

2. Killed a male Combee in Route 4, but caught a Squirtle (Blasto) from Sycamore. Also caught a Bunnelby (Jabba) in Route 5, but it got killed while grinding by a Pancham. Caught a Sentret (Sendero) in Route 6, the Snorlax (Buda) in Route 7, Whismur (Chororó) in Connecting Cave. andDrifloon (Dreyfuss) in Route 8. Missed a good opportunity by killing a Sandile in Route 9, but captured a Machop (Machado) in Glittering Cave. Made the fossil into Tyrunt in Ambrette and caught a Snubbull (Lala) on Route 10.
- Dilma, the Bidoof, died while grinding in Route 10 against a Sigilyph.
- Earned the Cliff Badge with Machop, Quilladin, Wartortle, Snorlax, Tyrunt and Fletchinder.

3. Caught a Staravia in Route 11, but lost Drifloon to a Mr. Mime on that same Route. Captured a Mr. Mime (Pe) of my own in Reflection Cave. Recently lost my Fletchinder to a Rock Gem used by a trainer's Vespiqueen.
- I am still making my way through the cave while preparing for Korrina's fighting pokemon.

Current team:
Beedrill
Pidgeotto
Quilladin
Mr. Mime
Wartortle
Machoke

PC:
Staravia
Snubbull
Tyrunt
Whismur
Snorlax
Sentret

Deaths:
Bunnelby (route 5)
Bidoof (route 10)
Drifloon (route 11)
Fletchinder (reflection cave)

PsychoKing47

Started a Nuzlocke in Y today. Usual rules, except from a few additions:
1) No Exp Share
2) I can only grind to the same level as the next Gym Leader's strongest Pokemon
3) If the first encounter on a route is scripted (such as the starting Pidgey on Route 2) I can choose to ignore it, at my discretion
4) Dupes and Shiny clauses apply

So far, in brief:

Chose Chespin as my starter, naming him Trevor
First non-scripted encounter on Route 2 was Ziggie the Zigzagoon, who was on my team until Lumiose City
First encounter in Santalune Forest was Nigel the Caterpie, which I'm not using due to using a Butterfree in Sun until Level 40
Route 3 was Brownie the Bunnelby, who I forgot to nickname at the time but will nickname if she's still alive when I reach Camphrier Town
Much to my irritation, my Route 22 encounter was Doofus the Bidoof, who I promptly boxed (I really needed that to be a Litleo to make the gym easier). I also almost had Trevor get killed by some trainer's Riolu, as Trevor was locked into Rollout and Riolu had Counter. Luckily, the Counter from the first Rollout didn't kill Trevor, and the second Rollout killed the Riolu.

I then took on the gym, with Ziggie and Brownie each at Level 10 at the start and Trevor at Level 12
I beat all the trainers, headed to the Pokemon Centre to heal up and then headed back to battle Viola
Brownie dispatched her Surskit without incident, and I swapped Ziggie into her Vivillon to set up some Tail Whips and Baby-Doll Eyes
I started doing that set-up on Vivillon and then attacked a few times, but with little effect. Vivillon was steadily wearing Ziggie down, and it eventually went for Infestation, as I was dreading. To make matters worse, it got a critical hit and left Ziggie on 6 or so HP. I thoguht that was her done for, but the Infestation damage at the end of the turn left her on 1 HP, so I was able to heal up next turn and attack a few more times until the Infestation wore off, having to heal her again before taking a gamble and swapping in Trevor. I had to do this because Rollout was realistically the only thing that could take the Vivillon out, as Ziggie wasn't doing much of anything with her attacks and Brownie probably wouldn't manage any better. I went straight for Rollout but just missed the kill, and Vivillon went for Infestation, having gone for Tackle on the swap-in. This left Trevor on just over half, which dropped to just under half at the end of the turn. I thought all was good and I had it in the bag, but then Viola used a Super Potion to almost fully heal Vivillon. Thankfully for me, Trevor's Rollout didn't miss and killed Vivillon, earning me the Bug Badge.

My encounter on Route 4 was Neko Nyan the Skitty (I am terrible at nicknames, and the RNG has done its best to make my team completely lack diversity). Had a few close calls while grinding her up to scratch, especially as opposing Pokemon seemed to get through Attract way too easily.
In Lumiose City, I battled and defeated Professor Sycamore, choosing Squirtle as my second starter and naming him Raphael, before heading to the Pokemon Centre and boxing Ziggie.

Badges: 1

Team so far:

Trevor the Chespin (male), Level 15
Brownie the Bunnelby (female), Level 13
Neko Nyan the Skitty (female), Level 13
Raphael the Squirtle (male), Level 10

Boxed:

Ziggie the Zigzagoon (female), Level 13
Nigel the Caterpie (male), Level 6
Doofus the Bidoof (female), Level 6

Deaths so far: None (and long may that continue)

This is my first Nuzlocke, and so far I'm enjoying the increased difficulty, and how there's much more of an edge to almost every single battle when you know one misstep could spell the permanent end of a team member. I'm hoping for a better first encounter on Route 5, basically anything other than Furfrou or Abra (and Skiddo, to a lesser extent) would be ideal.

Kung Fu Ferret

The Usurper
About to start a run in Omega Ruby.

Rules.
1. Dupes clause is in effect, shinies are banked immediately after catching
2. My starter will count as the Littleroot Town encounter, and the elemental fang Poochyena will be my encounter for Route 101.
3. No nicknaming theme in particular (Shocking, I know!)
4. I will try not to rely too much on EXP share.
5. Groudon CANNOT be captured!
6. Delta Episode revives all deceased Pokémon (assuming I get that far)
7. Each individual Mirage spot will be its own encounter (Legendaries cannot be used)
8. The starter I choose will depend on the last digit my Trainer ID. 1/2/3 Treecko, 4/5/6 Torchic, 7/8/9, Mudkip, 0 means whatever I want!
9. Torchic it is because my ID ends in 5!

(will edit when I get far enough to get a decent-ish team)

PsychoKing47

I successfully finished the Nuzlocke a while ago, so I'll just do a quick run through of my encounters for each route, the deaths I experienced throughout the run, the final team, and any other notable members who may have been boxed along the way after helping out in certain battles. I also changed the rules slightly just before the 2nd Gym, expanding the Dupes Clause to anything in the same evolutionary family, as well as changing the battle style from Switch to Set to increase the challenge.

Encounters:
Route 5: Chav the Scraggy (male), Level 5
Route 6: Zener the Espurr (male), Level 12
Route 7: Fatty the Snorlax (male), Level 15
Connecting Cave: Gemma the Meditite (female), Level 13
Route 8: Imoogi the Bagon (female), Level 14
Route 9: Gloria the Hippopotas (female), Level 15
Glittering Cave: Rhox the Rhyhorn (male), Level 17
Ambrette Town: Littlefoot the Amaura (male), Level 20
Route 10: Cruella the Snubbull (female), Level 21
Cyllage City: Heart the Luvdisc (female), Level 15
Route 11: Sumo the Hariyama (male), Level 23
Reflection Cave: Punchin Bag the Wobbuffet (male), Level 22 (apparently Punching counts as profanity, for some utterly bizarre reason)
Tower of Mastery: Luke the Lucario (male), Level 32
Route 12: Nessie the Lapras (male), Level 30
Azure Bay: Sid the Slowpoke (male), Level 25
Route 13: Eduardo the Trapinch (male), Level 27
Route 14: James the Bellsprout (male), Level 16
Route 15: Giovanni the Liepard (male), Level 36
Lost Hotel: Keychain the Klefki (male), Level 36
Route 16: Tricky Treat the Pumpkaboo (female), Level 35
Frost Cavern: Dendrite the Cryogonal (genderless), Level 40
Route 17: Delibird, accidentally killed
Team Flare Secret HQ: Ragnarok the Yveltal (genderless), Level 50
Route 18: Bob the Gurdurr (male), Level 44
Terminus Cave: Thing the Graveler (female), Level 46
Couriway Town: Mary Jane the Basculin (female), Level 45
Route 19: Gary the Sliggoo (male), Level 48
Route 20: Dave the Jigglypuff (male), Level 49
Pokemon Village: Optimus the Ditto (genderless), Level 48
Route 21: Cotton Birb the Altaria (male), Level 51
Victory Road: Jimmy the Lickitung (male), Level 58

Deaths: 8
Brownie the Bunnelby died at Level 16 against the Furfrou duo near Parfum Palace (had to sacrifice someone to heal some of my other team members, and unfortunately that was Brownie).
Then, Littlefoot the Amaura died at Level 25 against Grant's Tyrunt (my gamble of hoping to either outspeed it or tank its attack didn't work at all).
This was soon followed by the frustrating death of Raphael the Wartortle at Level 29, who died against a wild Staravia after Rock Tomb failed to take it out, it used Endeavour to leave him in the red before using Quick Attack next turn to finish the job.
I then went all the way to the 5th Gym before my next death, when Chav the Scraggy fell against Clemont's Heliolisk at Level 37 (he had tanked a couple of Thunderbolts with 9HP left (one on the swap-in, and one by being outsped) and I had selected High Jump Kick to get the kill. Unfortunately, for the first and only time while I used it, the attack missed, and I could only watch as Chav fell to his death).
The next death came on the way to the 7th Gym in Frost Cavern, with Giovanni the Liepard (who I was hoping to use against the 7th Gym after not getting Pawniard on that Route instead) falling at Level 47 against that Brains and Brawn duo with the Grumpig and Hariyama (Giovanni had taken out the Grumpig with Shadow Claw, but one hit from the Hariyama then took him out).
The next death was probably the most painful of the lot, as it only really happened because of my own foolishness and stupidity. It was in the 8th Gym against Wulfric and, because he leads with Abomasnow and I had no other Pokemon with Fire type moves on the team, I led with Imoogi the Salamence at Level 59, who promptly took that out with Fire Fang. Then came in the Cryogonal and, not wanting it to set up any Screens, I went for Fire Fang and surprisingly took it out in one hit. Now, this was where I made my mistake, as my encounters against them in Frost Cavern made me think that Cryogonal was a really bulky Pokemon and, as such, I thought that if Imoogi could take that out in one hit it could do the same to Avalugg. I could only watch in despair as Fire Fang only did a quarter damage to Avalugg, and Avalanche obliterated probably my strongest team member at the time. Keychain got the revenge kill, but the damage had already been done by then.
The final two deaths came in the final battle against Diantha which, after all that time, was massively depressing. First, Dave the Wigglytuff fell against Aurorus at Level 68, but he had done a good job whittling it down and then giving me a free swap-in to Trevor the Chesnaught to stop it setting up screens. Then, when her Mega Gardevoir came in, I had Trevor out at Level 68 and foolishly believed he could tank one of its attacks and set up Leech Seed to make my life a little easier. Obviously, that did not happen and my starter fell in the very final battle (AZ's battle doesn't really count, if you ask me), and Keychain was once again sent in to get the revenge kill.

TL;DR, RIP: Brownie the Bunnelby (Level 4-16), Littlefoot the Amaura (Level 20-25), Raphael the Wartortle (Level 10-29), Chav the Scraggy (Level 5-37), Giovanni the Liepard (Level 36-47), Imoogi the Salamence (Level 14-59), Dave the Wigglytuff (Level 49-68), Trevor the Chesnaught (Level 5-68)

Final Team (i.e. the survivors against Diantha, in order of when captured):
Zener the Meowstic (Level 67)
Nessie the Lapras (Level 67)
Keychain the Klefki (Level 67)
Gary the Goodra (Level 67)

Honourable Mentions:
Cruella the Granbull ended up being a massively valuable team member for most of the run, single-handedly nerfing Korrina's terrifying Hawlucha to allow me to get through the battle unscathed, and also being very useful in lots of other battles here and there. She stayed on the team all the way until just after the final Gym battle, when I really started to notice how much she was struggling in terms of moves, so I replaced her with Dave instead for the home stretch, due to his Quiet nature and Competitive ability being a very good combination.
Luke the Lucario wasn't used very much in the run (as I didn't want to "cheat" by using Mega Evolution except against opponents who use it), but he did help me single-handedly sweep Valerie to earn the 6th Gym badge, which was a battle I was massively dreading beforehand with not much on my team to deal with Fairies at the time.

Overall, while it was stressful and downright frustrating at times, I overall enjoyed my first ever Nuzlocke, not least because every Pokemon I used is one I had never used before, excluding the obligatory early game stuff and with the only notable exception being Wigglytuff, which I for some reason used in Emerald when I was about 5 or 6 years old (I'm not sure it really counts because of that, but I did technically use one I suppose). After I play through Ultra Moon normally, I think I'm going to go for a Nuzlocke in Black, which should be both fun and challenging (not to say that this wasn't, as it is surprising just how hard Y is if you don't use the Exp Share to become massively over-leveled for every battle).

Last edited:

Solfatara

Forest-Dweller
I decided to erase my golden shiny team run-through on my Y cartridge (after pokebanking all the shinies and the eight legendary mystery gift pokes waiting around for me to pick them up at the pokemon centre of course) in order to begin a Pokemon Y Nuzlocke Challenge. (This mostly because a colleague is doing a X/Y nuzlocke race challenge with a friend and I got tempted to ghost them and play along even though I'll be far behind.)

It will be wonderful to visit the Kalos region again, as it has been ages for me. I don't know how long I'll hold out for (my nuzlockes tend to end prematurely because I love to start them but struggle to finish) but I don't care. I'm doing this for fun!

Rules:
Normal Nuzlocke rules.
Battle style Set
If a pokemon is put in the box (even if it has not fainted) it may not be used again.
Exception 1: a shiny encounter can be caught regardless of whether it is the first in a route and receives an automatic free pass to be a team member
Exception 2: I may use a HM poke if this becomes necessary, but not for battling.

I'm already really struggling to pick a starter.. I'm not a massive fan of any of the Gen VI starters. I initially thought Froakie would be the best bet, but then this is a nuzlocke so I'm worried that it will die too easily. So I've decided to go for Chespin.

Start of challenge: August 24th 2018
In the Kalos region a dark shadow creeps over the land. Almost imperceptibly people's days seem to grow long and dreary, and laughter and high hopes slowly begin to falter. After a time, even the health of certain individuals seems to deteriorate, with mysterious symptoms such as faintness, coughs and dark spots on the skin. Pokemon are also affected, and are reported to be dying instead of fainting during battle. Despite investigations carried out by gym leaders and professors the region is at loss when it comes to establishing a cause and a cure for this mysterious infliction hitting the entire region.
The player's mother one day falls seriously ill. This is the moment Enimar decides to take up professor Sycamore's appeal to all young aspiring trainers and acquire a pokemon and hastily seek the cause of his mother's ailment. Due to the gravity of the situation there is no time to undergo a normal pokemon journey. He decides to capture only the first pokemon in each route. Knowing it will be a ruthless uphill journey, he sets out. His new good friends have decided to do the same in order to uncover the secrets of the shadow of the land. And so Sycamore's young prodigies set out.

In the first town he receives the pokemon delivered from the professor - Chespin.

1st encounter:
Nettle the Chespin - Aquacorde Town
A hasty and quick-tempered little fella - a -defense nature that's just great considering I chose chespin for the slightly bulkier prospects.. in better news this Chespin seems as impatient to get moving as Enimar must be feeling.
~IV's: 17/29/19/13/4/1

2nd encounter:
Dolimer the Pidgey - Route 2
Keenly popping out after the very first step, this bird is relaxed but likes to run.. interesting.
~IV's: 9/4/9/2/17/20 wow..

Even though this Pidgey is not exactly difficult to criticise I must look on the bright side of things. I much prefer it to a potential scatterbug, zigzagoon, caterpie or bunnelby (though fletchling would've been preferable).

It's clear that the Disease as some people have started to call It has begun to affect also Enimar's new hopeful members. But despite their apparent occasional sluggishness they are keen to get going and hopeful about the adventure ahead. Training on route 2 proves fruitful and they grow stronger faster than Enimar had dared to hope for. The other kids have run ahead so together the three friends huddle together under a starlit but hazy sky. They seem to be each other's only comforts on this damp, hostile night.

Nettle and Dolimer quickly grow fond of each other. They bond over their ambiguous relations to running, concerning both affinity and apparent appreciation.
Enimar is painfully aware of the idiosyncracies of his new friends, but is grateful and thanks the dim light of the stars that he is even on the road at all.

Soon they enter the dark and gloomy Santalune forest. The night makes it difficult to see, and trudging through the tall grass a little red monkey pops out.

3rd encounter:
Orangino the Pansear - Santalune Forest
This monkey thinks his genome similar to that of an orangutan. He is timid but has a sturdy body.
~IV's: 17/22/19/22/15/25

Funny how the pokemon I want to use the least and probably end up replacing first has the absolute best IVs.

Orangino cannot pack a punch at all and is almost knocked out by a level 3 pidgey. Enimar decides to let Orangino play with sticks while the others keep wild pokemon at bay. Orangino is too shy to complain and quickly realises he is quite happy being kept out of danger.

The Santalune forest is densely populated by the Bug Academy Rejects, who, with baggy eyes and soggy feet, ruthlessly challenge whoever crosses their path to battle their measly weedles and scatterbugs. The news of the indefinite supsension of all Bug Academy classes until the end of the Dark Times had not yet reached these goal-oriented forest-dwellers. Their fatigue could easily be mistaken for symptoms of the Disease, but the the forest seemed to be a little bit protected somehow from evil effects.

Enimar catches up to the others. Despite not being far from home, they decide to camp under the canopy of a particularly tight cluster of trees. The depressive and musty atmosphere of the homely house of illness keeps Enimar from wanting to go home, despite being anxious about his mother's condition. The neighbours have promised to look after her. Enimar decides not to return until he has found the cause of the Disease. Despite the chill they eventually all fall asleep.

Enimar wakes at dawn to a bedewed and fragrant forest. He leaves his friends to sleep, and trudges along the barely visible path. A faint trace of a dark and claustrophobic nightmare remains plastered to his immediate memory, but he decides to be optimistic and hopeful about what the morning might bring. After letting Dolimer and Nettle beat up some defenseless bugs and despairing Bug Trainer Rejects they found the forest clearing and finally looked upon the short but sweet Ouvert Path leading to Santalune City.
Barely had Enimar stepped out from the forest before a red bird began pecking at his cap and refusing to let it up. And so without much of a choice in the matter they welcomed Lune the Fletchling.

4th encounter:
Lune the Fletchling - Route 3
A sassy bird who bizarelly also likes to run.
~IV's: 19/25/22/25/13/25

Soon after the town of Santalune emerges on their line of vision. Enimar had heard this town described as one of the most pleasant and peaceful places in all of Kalos, but they immediately sense that something is awry. Despite it being a fine morning, the shops are closed and the cafes mostly empty. The street appear almost deserted, bar a few young people hanging around with their heads bent, their eyes dark.

Except no hospitality here, Lune signs with her red-feathered wings.

Enimar realises that in order to be strong enough for the dangers ahead, he needs to hone his skills as a trainer. He immediately makes it to the front door of the city gym, where a menacing-looking youth on roller blades glares at him. Acting as if his business was elsewhere he dashes onwards and onto an old beaten path on the east end of town.
A nearly imperceptible shadow dashes across the road and bumps into him, jangles loose a spare pokeball and is caught within it.

5th encounter:
Duracell the Bunnelby - Route 22
Lonely and quick to flee, this little bunnyrabbit can run all night long like a well-charged battery.
~IV's: 3/5/3/5/11/29

Nettle the chespin seems to have developed some sage-like tendencies in addition to his short temper, and advises a few hours of training before taking on the gym. Enimar had thought that the Disease might hinder his pokemon from growing properly and even evolving, but before long Nettle's arms and legs thicken in a rather sickening fashion and he bulges out into a round and more happy-looking Quilladin. We're ready at last, he winks.

The Santalune gym, disguised as a photo gallery, hides its dewy spider web in the cold, rot-infested basement. Sliding down on a string of web, Enimar realises there is no return until he has faced the leader. It is too dark to see much, but he immediately realises that a fall off the web would send him into the abyss. Dark shadows shuffle around in the corners. Larvae and ants creep up Enimar's legs and fall from the ceilings.
In one corner Enimar feels a different kind of presence, and stepping onto a wooden platform a faint light comes on, and a ragged, pale face and slumpen shape become visible in the shadow. Its long, haggard arms lift, and Enimar hears a click, as if from a camera.
A nearly inaudible voice gurgles 'thank you. that is all I want now.'
Enimar becomes aware of a cold stone in his hand. Then fear takes him and he dashes into the dark, hitting a heavy, cold curtain which falls and reveals a staircase. Climbing up it he remembers an image in one of the gym leader magazines, of the pale, pretty Viola, now merely a shadow creeping among the crawlies in a damp basement.

The stone was a faded but authentic Bug Badge.

The now slightly rattled team flee the city of Santalune before the end of the day, and nest up in a cluster of yellow flowers on the outskirt of town. After checking his body all over for bugs and parasites, Enimar falls into a disturbed sleep.
______
Progress:

Current team:
Nettle the Quilladin - Hasty - Lv. 16
Dolimer the Pidgey - Relaxed - Lv. 16
Orangino the Pansear - Timid - Lv. 8
Lune the Fletchling - Sassy - Lv. 16
Duracell the Bunnelby - Lonely - Lv. 7

Last edited:

Solfatara

Forest-Dweller
Ok, this has been fun so far, and although I am now initially enjoying the excessive narration I can tell that I might cut back on that a little as I move along and perhaps just include the pokemon IVs, characteristics and natures, but we will see!
Changing to using mainly the past tense now as I kept automatically swapping into it while trying to use the present tense. Can't be bothered anymore hah.

Enimar woke from the whimpering sounds of Orangino the Pansear. In the early morning hours he had gone to look around and was hit by a powerful wave of attraction from a skitty hopping about among the sparkling flowers.
His feral monkey screams were enough to drive anybody crazy, and Enimar was not too far from belonging to that category in the first place, so to shut the primate up he caught the Skitty in a pokeball and promised to let him be in her vicinity at all times.

6th encounter:
Severin the Skitty - Route 4
A Gentle creature that loves to eat, with an irresistible charm.
~IVs: 30/4/16/2/2/6

Despite having ruthlessly charmed Orangino into near-oblivion, she seems to have no interest in him. She remains gentle and polite but distant while he spirals in the dust trying to kiss her dainty pink paws.

Having properly woken up, Enimar could no get his bearings and have a look at his new surroundings. Route 4 was a spectacular site, a wide open road adorned on either side with beautiful flower beds and tall hedges shaped into secretive labyrinths. As the sun rose higher in the sky, their spirit seemed to rise with it, and they faced other trainers, gardeners and keepers of the beds, who seemed to be feisty and full of energy. They had nearly forgotten about the disease by mid-day, and were not aware that such a vibrant living place could still exist in the region of Kalos.

After a short while, Serena caught up with him, and together they walked in a happy daze towards the gate of the capitol city, Lumiose. At the entrance they were stopped by two older kids, a girl and a boy, who eyed them up and down and nodded myseriously.
'Enjoyed your happy happy walk through the flower beds, Enimar?' said the boy. He had a slightly skewed smile, his skin was pale and seemed to glisten in the sunlight.
'We have worked very hard to keep up the facade of the capital, I'll have you know. Isn't it beautiful, Serena? See all this gardeners, the tenders of the land? We have helped them very successfully, can't you tell? Would you not agree?'
'Who are you?' Enimar asked incredulously.
'Come,' the girl said. 'He wants to meet you.'

And so Enimar and Serena got their first view of the grand capital, walking closely behind Dexio and Sina, who had revealed their names and vocation - assistants of the professor and previous pokemon league contestants.
The city was massive, with tall scrapers and wide streets and boulevards. It would be a more gloomy place, Enimar thought, were it not for the huge illuminated tower in the centre, visible from a great distance, casting a thick electric light over the streets. People were rushing here and there - they seemed, rather than bogged down, to be frantic, stopping not for a moment's rest.

They walked for twenty minutes. Enimar slowly began to notice cracks in the bright facade - rats scourging on street corners, slumped figures hiding in the shades of back alleys, and a constant flickering of all the lights - even those from the great tower. Finally they found themselves at the foot of a large, white building adorned with blue and red banners bearing the name Sycamore.

The lab was dark, as if it were not in operation, but they could see several instruments working, and occasionally a bespectacled figure dressed in a white frock tending to them. Dexio and Sina lead them to the elevator, and they took it up to the third floor. Here there were faint lights exuding blue in the corners, so it was slightly, but only sightly, easier to see. There were folders, books and loose papers strewn about on the floor and tables. Various instruments and computers joined together in a cacophony of electronic murmur. The room was otherwise empty, quiet.

'He is waiting for you,' Sina whispered quietly, her voice barely more than an exhalation.
They walked around a corner to a small and secluded section of the room. Here, behind a desk, sat a tall, rough-looking middle-aged man with long black hair and a white coat. The moment he saw them, he smiled and began rubbing his hands excitedly.

'My new subjects!' he exlaimed so loudly Enimar and Serena jolted. 'I'm so proud. So proud of myself for choosing you!'
The children looked at each other in bewilderment. 'You must realise that I am always very right about these things, you know, picking who to endow with power and so forth, oh yes. And now you have come to help me. Of course you have. Oh yes.' It was at this moment that Enimar spotted, even in the sickening light, that the professor's skin was botched and discoloured, his eyes bloodshot. He began slowly backing away, but Dexio's hand found his shoulder and tightened, causing him to stop.
'I've been looking everywhere for it, you see. The Answer! The Cure! My research - my researches - working day, working night - Dexio! My incense!'
Dexio briefly disappeared around the corner and Enimar considered running, but he returned quickly with a small pearl-coloured flask which he handed to Sycamore. The professor opened the lid and sniffed the contents violently three times, then coughed a raspy, painful cough, and whimpered faintly.
'Please. Be my eyes on the road. I would so much rather go myself. I have given you your starers. I want you to give me this in return. Promise me. Be my eyes. I will give you more - take this!' He chucked a pokeball at Enimar, who caught it. 'Take whatever you want.' Then he began to sob, almost inaudibly, and Enimar could take it no longer. He backed off and out, found the stairs and jolted down. He could hear Serena shout from upstairs - 'Café Soleil!'
He made for the front door but then ran straight into someone he had not seen in the dim light. The huge man made a sound of mild surprise. Enimar could see that his hair was spikey and bright red.
'Oi! Watch out where you are going. You must be one of Sycamore's subjects. You look just like all the rest. Seems like you forgot to say goodbye. I will give him your regards. Sycamore is a close friend of mine. I would appreciate it if you showed him due respect. My name is Lysandre. I'm sure we will meet again.'
Enimar could produce no more than a nod, then slipped out the door out into brightness.

7th encounter:
Morla the Squirtle - Lumiose City
A Relaxed and very finicky turtle
~IVs: 25/26/1/29/17/18

Café Soleil was perhaps not radiant with solar light, but managed to radiate a warm and safe feeling unparalleled by anything Enimar had experienced so far on his journey. Serena was waiting, sitting by one of the close tables sipping a black coffee. He came over and began to say something, but she hushed him and nodded to her left, where he saw Lysandre seated next to a young and beautiful woman with short, curly black hair and a simple white dress. He immediately recognised her but from where he could not remember.
'Listen,' she whispered. Lysandre seemed to be in the middle of some extended monologue, as he was the only one talking. He overheard part of it.
'...as you are now... but in time... ugly, nasty... a shroud, the west country... beauty... beauty...'

At that moment he shifted his gaze and looked Enimar straight in the eyes. He rose, and came over to their table. There he stood erect, the enormity of his figure emphasized by the low ceiling and cramped tables.
'Enimar. Serena. It's good to see you both again. I promised the professor to keep a look out for you on your journeys. I expect you will be leaving Lumiose city soon?'
His red haired blazed and dazzled Orangino the pansear, whose eyes grew for every sentence the man spoke.
'Yes, as soon as possible.' Serena smiled effortlessly.
'I was just speaking with Diantha here.' Enimar suddenly realised that the young dazzling woman was someone he had seen many times, but not in real life - she was an up and coming Kalos TV star. 'We are both concerned for the future of our nation, and despite some... slight ideological differences we are committed to being part of a brighter and more beautiful future for Kalos - as are you, I am sure ---' His eyes flared as they sought Enimar's. 'It may be ugly now, but I have great hopes for future perfection... a constant, perfect world where nothing whithers, nothing ages, no one falls into hapless disease.' His face flashed with some half-repressed pain. 'Yes, it will even better than it was before the Shadow, if I can help it. The professor - he is my accomplice but I begin to fear for his efficiency... Perhaps you two will prove to be better partners.'

Then he walked towards the door. Suddenly Orangino leapt from Enimar's shoulder and hopped onto Lysandre's. The man made no gesture that seemed to indicate he had even noticed it. When he shut the door, the monkey was gone with him.

'That orange monkey fell in love too easily,' Enimar said.
'I would not worry,' Diantha sighed. She had joined them at their table. 'Lysandre is compassionate with pokemon, and will take good care of your pansear.' She beamed towards them. Her smile turned her eyes into tiny dots and made her entire face contort, yet she was still radiant, still beautiful, just like they were so used to seeing her, decorating their their TV screens on Saturday evenings.

Diantha smiled again. It looked like her whole face was ready to crack from the effort.
'I may not be beautiful forever. And that's ok... I'd rather grow and... change, and...' her smile faded for each word, and her eyes flickered and kept returning to the front door out of which Lysandre had just disappeared.
'Don't listen to him. He's a perfectionist, smitten with the idea of curing this world. And we may, but not by his will. Oh, what is it you are all looking at?' she sneered abruptly, apparently to everyone in the cafe whose eyes were obviously glued to her. Then she left.

The two trainers were quiet for a while, until the people at the café had lost interest in them.
'We should stick together,' Serena said. 'Already I have lost pokemon to the cold grip of death. And I'm getting the feeling there are more things than just the Shadow lurking at the borders of our vision. Enimar. Let's make each other stronger.'

With that the two trainers left the cafe and the large city behind, to continue on their quest for answers.

______
Progress:

Current team:
Nettle the Quilladin - Hasty - Lv. 17
Dolimer the Pidgey - Relaxed - Lv. 17
Lune the Fletchinder - Sassy - Lv. 17
Severin the Skitty - Gentle - Lv. 14
Morla the Squirtle - Relaxed - Lv. 10

Solfatara

Forest-Dweller
I feel like I am getting somewhere now, and my team is coming together a little bit.
When I started out I hadn't fully decided on all the rules as I wanted to get a 'feel' for the game after not having played through this region for so long. Now, after the first badge, I have decided on my
Updated Rules:

- Regular Nuzlocke Rules apply
- Exp. Share may ONLY be used when grinding at toutes I have already gone through.
- Battle Style SET
- Healing Items may not be used during battle. Held items and healing moves may be used.
- If a Pokemon has been put in a box (but not fainted) it may never be used.
- Exceptions to the rules above: Special pokémon such as pokemon given to the player, fossil pokemon (but only the first) and pokemon that can only be encountered once. These can still only be used if they were the first pokemon encountered in a given route/town.
- Shiny pokemon can be caught at any time and are given a free pass to be on the team. If they faint, however, they cannot continue to be used.

8th encounter:

Methane the Gulpin - Route 5
A somewhat stubborn and Serious blob of foul-smelling gas
~IVs: 4/8/26/26/29/24

9th encounter:
Pendra the Venipede - Route 6
An adamant little ohm that likes to relax.
~IVs: 29/14/11/19/9/15

10th encounter:
Aries the SHINY Skiddo - Route 5
Lax and quick to flee. Full odds 1/4096 shiny.
~IVs: 12/14/8/2/10/24

Well, I certainly had not expected that! A shiny encounter so early in the game! Even though I already have one shiny skiddo in pokemon X I'm very happy with this, as this one is full odds (have the charm in X). Even though I already have a grass type I want to have a shiny on the team - and grass is my favourite type anyway! Skiddo is such a pretty shiny wow.
nt8YqSp.jpg

11th encounter:
Snorlax - Route 7
Failed to catch! Severin was doing so well, putting it to sleep and whittling its health down with Return - but then knocked it out with a critical hit.

12th encounter:
Gollum the Whismur - Connecting Cave
This cave-dweller is Brave but likes to relax.
~IVs: 29/9/22/9/22/12

13th encounter:
Helium the Drifloon - Route 8
A Serious and highly curious floating ballon
~IVs: 16/27/5/30/2/25

14th encounter:
Clay the Sandile - Route 9
A Serious land-croc that likes to run
~IVs: 20/17/3/27/15/30

15th encounter:
Orpheus the Cubone - Glittering Cave
This orphaned child is both Adamant and strong willed.
~IVs: 28/3/13/25/30/13

16th encounter:
Rex the Tyrunt - Ambrette Town (Fossil)
A Rash and very finicky resurrected dino
~IVs: 21/19/18/29/27/1

17th encounter:
Hiero the Sigilyph - Route 10
This prehistoric creature is Naughty and a little quick tempered.
~IVs: 22/27/6/7/16/19

______
Progress:

Current team:
Nettle the Quilladin - Hasty - Lv. 25
Severin the Skitty - Gentle - Lv. 24
Morla the Wartortle - Relaxed - Lv. 24
Pendra the Whirlipede - Adamant - Lv. 24
Aries the Skiddo - Lax - Lv. 25
Rex the Tyrunt - Rash - Lv. 20

Last edited:
Omega Ruby Wonderlocke 2019:

• Somewhat expectedly, I received Zigzaton (Zigzagoon) as my replacement starter for Treecko. This might become a very-rare case where I don't keep my starter on my main team ('til death do us part), but working with a Zigzagoon throughout this entire journey could provide a memorable challenge. Unfortunately, she doesn't even have the nifty Pickup Ability. Her fate as a core member will probably hinge on the appeal of the other options I receive down the road.

• Although I knew it was coming, it still hurt my heart a little when my team started disobeying at Lv. 11. I guess that means I've already gotten pretty attached to this bunch…

• I usually prefer to save Route 116 and Rusturf Tunnel until after I've earned the Stone Badge, but I wanted at least one more chance to receive another teammate who can help against Roxanne. A lot of turns will probably be wasted on disobedience in that match, and none of our first five crew members resist Rock-type moves. Luckily, I found myself with Machop in exchange for Taillow (and she even knows "Thunder Punch" as a bonus).

RUSTBORO CITY GYM: Based on my battles against Roxanne's three Gym Trainers, I wasn't too worried about our inevitable showdown, and it went even better than I expected. Admittedly, it really helped that two of my first six acquisitions in this journey were super-effective against Rock-types. Perhaps recognizing the significance of the situation, Kinococo (Shroomish) actually obeyed for three straight turns! This allowed us to take care of Geodude with back-to-back "Mega Drain" attacks and set up "Leech Seed" on Roxanne's signature Nosepass. Although Kinococo's agreeable streak ended there, we still managed to fire off "Stun Spore" before too long. This put me in an extremely advantageous position, so I decided to let Machop enjoy some Gym glory as well. She never wound up listening to a single one of my commands, but "Leech Seed" eventually sapped all of Nosepass's energy anyway, thus earning us the Stone Badge.

• I was slightly torn about potentially replacing Mimirol (Buneary) with Dunspy (Dunsparce), since her Klutz Ability is a total waste and I've traveled with her species (at least briefly) during previous journeys. The decision became VERY clear when I received Kindwurm (Bagon) in exchange for a Magikarp I caught in Dewford Town! Although it's a tad unfortunate that he can't become a Salamence until Lv. 50 (when the eighth Hoenn Gym Leader only reaches Lv. 46), he's still part of a very cool family that I've never used in any prior Nuz/Wonderlocke.

DEWFORD TOWN GYM: Dewford Town's surfing scuffler Brawly had me a little nervous, since my only teammate with an advantage over Fighting-types is a tad fail: Wingull. Fortunately, my bird buddy successfully subdued Brawly's Machop with two blasts of "Water Pulse" before the Superpower Pokémon used a single damaging move. Since I prefer not to sweep Gym battles, I replaced Wingull with my own Machop after firing off one more "Water Pulse" against Brawly's signature Makuhita. "Arm Thrust" hit Machop pretty hard after just one "Bulk Up," but Makuhita had so little health remaining when Machop entered the ring that a single "Low Sweep" clinched the match, thus earning us the Knuckle Badge.

CURRENT TEAM =
Zigzaton {Zigzagoon} ♀
- Lv. 16, Mild, Gluttony, Route 101
Zorua
- Lv. 16, Brave, Illusion, Route 103
Wingull
- Lv. 17, Brave, Keen Eye, Route 102
Machop
- Lv. 17, Bold, Guts, Route 116
Kindwurm {Bagon} ♀
- Lv. 16, Gentle, Rock Head, Dewford Town
Seedot
- Lv. 16, Brave, Chlorophyll, Petalburg City

キノココ {Shroomish}
- Adamant, Poison Heal, Route 104
ミミロル {Buneary} ♀
- Jolly, Klutz, Petalburg Woods
Dunspy {Dunsparce} ♀
- Brave, Serene Grace, Rusturf Tunnel
Electrike
- Mild, Static, Route 106
Minun
- Sassy, Minus, Granite Cave
Numel
- Quiet, Simple, Route 107
Waumpel {Wurmple} ♀
- Quirky, Shield Dust, Route 115
1a.) 3-Strikes Duplicates + Over-leveled Clause: I have 3 chances to "send back" any Pokémon I've already received or any Pokémon too high-leveled to obey. I must keep the third regardless.

Last edited: