• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

6th Generation Announced! Hopes? Fears?

Psycho Cut

So, the 6th Generation of Pokémon, with games Pokémon X and Y have been announced for a global release in October this year, on 3DS, I add with much elation.

So, although we can't really discuss what this will mean for the competitive metagame as yet, we can discuss what we're hoping or fearing for with the new games.

So, with a whole new set of Pokémon and presumably Moves, Items and Abilities, what are you hoping or fearing for in the Generation 6?

Helpful Links
(Fear not, they're all in English)

Iwata's Announcement on 'Pokémon Direct': http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzO6J981nAw

Trailer #1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=RSVPuN5sb8k

BGP_

Simple personal hopes, I hope they (for keeping online 3ds battles relevant seeing how hacking the 3ds could be quite the challenge) bring back the auto level 100 feature. Not so much a metagame impact as much as it is being able to use nintendo network if people choose to do so. Also, for the love of arceus please make the team preview optional and if not get rid of it entirely. Why it was REQUIRED in the first place is beyond me. Lastly, I'm hoping that there's more metagame variety than this overly standard generation of rain and if not that then weather in general. Speaking of weather, sun and hail could use a little love too. Just a little...nothing that will throw us into full weather abyss again.

What I fear could happen is that we could get an even more crazy metagame or that team preview won't be optional/eliminated or auto level 100 won't return.

waffle_x_v

Fun stuff
i love the even number gens becuase we always get evolutions and pre-evo's which is really cool. digging the dear legendary. Grass/Steel is pretty awesome. it's also hinted like hell, that there will be new eeveelutions.

Zachmac

I see two possible outcomes. The first is that the power creep continues or stays were it's currently at, and the metagame stays the way it is, besides the new moves, of course.

The second is that to balance out the 145 special attack Shandy and such, there is a "defensive creep", though seeing as we also got, say, Cofagrigus with 145 base defense in gen 5, they are under the illusion that it is balanced....

OrbrunnerX

That Guy
I foresee increasing power creep. That's not necessarily too bad, but it would require better defensive mons too, which *looks at Cofagrigus* aren't guaranteed to be any good.

Hopes? GIVE ME MY SAPPHIRE REMAKE. NOW.

Fears? That those legendaries, in addition to looking weird, will over-impact the Ubers metagame. They'll obviously be stuck out of OU, as were Resh/Zek, but I frankly think they look too stupid to be given any respect in Ubers. A giant deer and a giant flying Y. Lovely.
Then again, Reshiram looks like a giant chicken with a fox's head and a basket stapled to its rear end. And it's a fairly common sight in Ubers.

Ghosts of the Forums

Who Ya Gonna Call?
Why not post this in the 6th gen discussion?

I'm hoping chespin is useable in ou, and is grass/fighting.

EmphaticPikachu

A tired little girl~
...I'm expecting some pretty cutscenes.

I'm fearing a lack of pokemon I want to capture for a team.

I'm fearing that my d/p remake (which would be confirmed in my mind if RSE got a remake) will never come, or at least not till I'm 30. lol

Ghosts of the Forums

Who Ya Gonna Call?
I hope for some more great Pokemon like ferro/terra.

Aeon™

Rock Ultimate
Simple personal hopes, I hope they (for keeping online 3ds battles relevant seeing how hacking the 3ds could be quite the challenge) bring back the auto level 100 feature. Not so much a metagame impact as much as it is being able to use nintendo network if people choose to do so. Also, for the love of arceus please make the team preview optional and if not get rid of it entirely. Why it was REQUIRED in the first place is beyond me. Lastly, I'm hoping that there's more metagame variety than this overly standard generation of rain and if not that then weather in general. Speaking of weather, sun and hail could use a little love too. Just a little...nothing that will throw us into full weather abyss again.

What I fear could happen is that we could get an even more crazy metagame or that team preview won't be optional/eliminated or auto level 100 won't return.

This so much. The weather thing. What we need are more defensive mons so that stall will be viable again.

Orithan

Hopes? End the power creep and nerf entry hazards. Gen V, combined with the power of entry hazards (Stealth Rock in particular), pretty much destroyed stall for what it is worth. I don't think that a defense creep would completely solve the problem, but rather a combination of ending the power creep, nerfing entry hazards and giving more viable defensive moves (ie. one that causes an effect that reduces the foe's PP more than usual) would help alleviate the problem with stall.

Edit: And a non-legendary with Air Lock, considering that non-legendaries got Drizzle and Drought. The obnoxous weather wars that appeared in Gen V will continue in this gen if something that is not banned (read: Not Rayquaza) gets Air Lock.

Edit2: Gamefreak really needs to nerf Moody, as in to eliminate its ability to raise Evasion and reduce the stat changes to +1/-1 per turn.

Zachmac

Hopes? End the power creep and nerf entry hazards. Gen V, combined with the power of entry hazards (Stealth Rock in particular), pretty much destroyed stall for what it is worth. I don't think that a defense creep would completely solve the problem, but rather a combination of ending the power creep, nerfing entry hazards and giving more viable defensive moves (ie. one that causes an effect that reduces the foe's PP more than usual) would help alleviate the problem with stall.
Are you kidding me? I've played stall, and there is nothing I've found it to love more then having three layers of spikes on the enemy field. And, while spinners are limited, Tentacruel and Donphan do an excellent job at spinning for one.

The power creep destroyed stall, not entry hazards.

Orithan

Are you kidding me? I've played stall, and there is nothing I've found it to love more then having three layers of spikes on the enemy field. And, while spinners are limited, Tentacruel and Donphan do an excellent job at spinning for one.

The power creep destroyed stall, not entry hazards.

I take the entry hazard part out of stall being destroyed then. I still hate how entry hazards centralise the metagame though. Defog needs to blow away hazards to fix it flavorwise.

The Thunderbird

Dreams come true
I also think entry hazards should be nerfed, especially Stealth Rock as it hampers on the viability of many Pokemon sets. I suggest either allowing Rock types to absorb Stealth Rock like Poison types do with Toxic Spikes, creating a new relatively unblockable Rapid Spin like move, creating a Scrappy+Rapid Spin mon or even a powerful Dark type spinner that doubles as a Ghost killer. The latter should be the most interesting due to the mind games it would create.

Klaus™

Banned
Edit2: Gamefreak really needs to nerf Moody, as in to eliminate its ability to raise Evasion and reduce the stat changes to +1/-1 per turn.

lol, moody is banned anyway, no point in changing it, itd still be broken, as long as it keeps that evasion boost. its too luck based and uncompetitive.

theres absolutely no guarantee the two legends(deer one looks sweet, y one looks like giratina remake) are going to ubers. stats =/= immediate ban. case in point, kyurem-b. it could end up being like the musketeers(hopefully) or it could be the next kyurem-w. you can predict that. hell, it could be the next phione.

what we need is weather nerf, if anything. weather is a very powerful force, but its basically been reduced to rain and sand, especially with the genesect ban, now sun isnt as viable anymore.

Zachmac

theres absolutely no guarantee the two legends(deer one looks sweet, y one looks like giratina remake) are going to ubers. stats =/= immediate ban. case in point, kyurem-b. it could end up being like the musketeers(hopefully) or it could be the next kyurem-w. you can predict that. hell, it could be the next phione.
No, stats can't cause an immediate ban. However, they are a huge influence. Kyurem-B's main drawback is it's ice typing making it much more frail. If it was pure dragon, for example, there is no way it'd be in OU. Ice is really the worst type any pokemon could possibly have.

These guys kind of look like a dragon and grass type or something. Grass isn't great, but with good stats, I'm 99% sure these guys will be easy uber.

Musketeers? Certainly not. The deer's antlers cause it to resemble an X, and as for the dragon...just check out my avi. They will definitely be the next mascots, and with that, they will have stats to prove their worth as legendary mascots.

Wishing Star

Astral Charm Owner
I just hope that the ratio of Fighting-type Pokémon to non-Fighting-type Pokémon is much, much less than that of the fifth generation. The inclusion of so many Fighting-types made so many otherwise-completely viable Pokémon go down from OU to UU and from UU to NU. :/

Oh yeah, I also would really like it if they didn't do a complete revamp of base stats. It would really make competitive teams much more painful to create.

cascadethewarrior

~Ðiva and Lucariϕ~
I hope for a New Type(Please no one start that debate with me again -_-)

Oh yeah, I also would really like it if they didn't do a complete revamp of base stats. It would really make competitive teams much more painful to create.

You mean change the stats of a Pokemon? Can they even do that? I mean yeah they can do it in the sense that is possible but are they allowed to?

SmeargleRocks

Reputable Trader
Hopes: New type(s), 100-165 New Pokémon, New weather, maybe a real acid rain where only poison Pokémon aren't damaged, more towns, 12-16 gym badges, better tougher elite four, return of Red the trainer, a RSE remake hopefully next year if possible, and also skateboard for the male, roller skates for the girls, customizable characters FINALLY, and also Chespin Grass/Fighting, Froakie Water/Ice, Fennekin Fire/Rock, lastly Pokémon Y Dark/Steel, Dark/Ice, or Dark/Fire
And Pokémon X Grass/Ice, Grass/Psychic, Psychic/Bug

Fears: no RSE remakes ever, non customizable characters, and lastly no 12 gym badges